XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Couple questions

I did not see a manual with this game, even on the DVD. I only have a quick reference card. I've got a couple questions. I'm familiar with the original game, so I might be biased based on how things worked in UFO Defense and TFTD.

#1. Do I have unlimited reloads?

Sometimes my guns are half full but after waiting couple turns no aliens advance on me. It would make sense to reload, but I recall ammunition limits in the original being part of the game with clip management unless you were using lasers. I haven't run out yet, but I want to know if I need to conserve ammo. Should reload whenever it is convenient instead of waiting until the clip is empty like I would in the original.

#2. Can I use rockets and grenades to soften up enemies and still get items?

Dr. Vahlen warns me that killing aliens with explosives destroys the artifacts. However, If I see 2-3 floaters clustered together with FOUR full hit boxes, can I toss a grenade at them to do 3 damage, then move in and use the arc throwers to capture them and still get their guns or shoot them with pistols to save ammo?

What about two chryssalids or mutons clustered together? Can I have my heavy soften them up with a rocket (which won't kill them) then finish them off with gunfire or will that initial hit with the rocket destroy the loot?

Edited by slickrcbd

• 1 month later...

I'm assuming you're asking regarding the original 90's game, if so then:

1 Yes and no. If, before you finish the mission, you remove clips then even partially used ones will be credited as full in the post mission accounting. So, in that sense you can have unlimited clips. WARNING: any clips that are not 100% full (even just one round expended) that are still in their weapons are counted as fully expended and destroyed.

2a) Yes, you can but items MAY get destroyed. That's okay, your number one priority is to survive a mission. Everything else, including saving civilians is secondary.
2b) Yes, you can but sometimes the rocket WILL do the job; there is variability in damage. Again, that's okay; same reasons.

• 2 years later...

Uh, I said I was familiar with the '90s game but I was asking about the remake, which I finished.