XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xenocide Commandos

Guest Azrael Strife

Guest Azrael
I was thinking, how about special commando units?, soldiers with high points on specific abilities, and I was thinking (to make them extra special :happybanana: ) to have them called after our project members, like having a soldier with 100 to marksmanship called dipstick, or a heavy weapons expert called micah, something like that (think of the names as in-game credits :naughty: ). Any thoughts?

:huh?: whadayamean your oppinion does not count??

I'm here, and I,m listening O:)

Besides, hidden credits might be cool, perhaps the soldiers could have "callsigns" that reflect project members, but they don't need to be THAT special, even a soldier with starting marksmanship of 80 is remarkable...

For much, I meant. Nevermind.

The highest accuracy(marksmanship, whatever) I've ever gotten was 78. The guy's reactions were, like, 20. Strength? What muscles? Oh, you mean those mosquito bites on his arms. At least his bravery was around 60.

Oh boy, let's be friends! Now I have someone who believes in me, yippee! Can we hold hands? Right, I'm okay now. Please go along with your lives, citizens.

Edited by Tsereve

Well, get more involved in the project if you want your oppinion to count for more :D

(I'm only doing as time allows, which is never enough for my taste)

There, you see, an exceptionnal guy right from the start... train him a bit and he'll hit 120 accuracy in no time ^_^

:o remind me not to stay alone with you :crying:

(just kidding O:))

Well, technically, ALL the x-corps soldiers are Commandoes. They are the best of the best. You can't have someone being better then the best of the best...

Mikker: Actually, Commander Tommy would have to be the Best of the Best of the Best, or something like that.

Paladin: Is it possible to get a stat (other than TU, energy, etc.) over 100? Anyway, he's not much use as a "door-man" if he ends up with 120 accuracy, but 32 reactions. It just gets better if he panics whenever he sees an alien. . .

Hehe... Even The best of the rest can improve, considering it's teh first time they're fighting aliens, but you're right... they are far too puny in the early game...

And yes, the maximum stats are not all 100... Using the unpatched DOS version a soldier could even have 200 TUs, but then it reverted back to 20 or so, because of an overflow... :crying:

Since Tftd (and later patches to XCOM1), all XCOM operatives are now limited to 80 TUs (give or take 2), about 120 Accuracy, 90 Strength (I think), etc.

There's a thread about soldier's stats somewhere in teh XCOM forum...

Just 80 TUs? Hm. I once had a great scout. Actually more of a Super-Solder, but he worked best as a scout. 32 Strength, 64 acc, 61(!!) reactions, 60 bravery, a whole ton of energy, and 110 TUs. He was perfect, running around, waving his laser pistol around each corner, blasting everything he saw with his plasma pistol, and tossing everything that survived an alien grenade. . .then he blasted open a building containing 6 Etherials. My star killed 2 with ease, and one of the remainers shot him, but missed! I called for my other guys, and my top sniper came up. 74 acc, she eventually grew to be the top guy I spoke of with 78 acc. Aimed shot, she MISSES!!! I'm like, "you have one more auto-shot left, if you miss it, you're through". Fires auto-shot. Neither misses :happybanana: , but they both hit the wrong target. . .MY SUPER-SOLDIER!

:hate: :cussing: :crying: :hate: :cussing: :crying: :hate: :cussing: :crying: :hate: :cussing: :crying: :hate: :cussing: :crying: :hate: :cussing: :crying: :hate: :cussing: :crying: :hate: :cussing: :crying: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, he died.

Edited by Tsereve

Guest Azrael

I'm aware that x-corps soldiers are the best of the best, but think of something "above" the best, I was kinda thinking about a reward, when you get X points at the end of the month, if X is very high and depending on other things, you may get a special commando available for recruitment.

I'm not sure what the highest value for a stat would be, 100 was an example.

Yup. Fux0r is 100% correct. There can't be better soldiers out there for recruitment, simply because the X-Corps soldiers are the best of the best.

(Although easteregg super-soldiers with project member callsigns would be a nice gimmick. They'd have to be very difficult to get in that case though.)

Guest Azrael
well, I'm proposing that there are better commandos out there, super-ultra-mega commandos if you like, think how cool would it be to have... Stewart the Demolitioner!

"Demolitioner"??? I see what you mean, though. If this gets incorporated into the game, though, I call Tsereve the Vibro-man!

Azrael:

In FFTA, when you complete a mission with a certain number of status points, you'll have the chance to recruit a random character. Well, not totally random, the character's species depends on the game month, but something like that.

Guest Azrael
Sounds like a cool game, once I get my computer fixed (been about three months now) I'll get it asap, still have Doom 3 here and can't play it :crying:

well, I'm proposing that there are better commandos out there, super-ultra-mega commandos if you like, think how cool would it be to have... Stewart the Demolitioner!

I think this could work. However, I don't think these "special" soldiers should have more stuff for them than is required. I'm presuming you mean taking on a class of character, if so, an as an example here, if Stewart the Demolitionist appeared for you to recruit, I think he should have better than average strength and decent stamina along with throwing acccuracy to match. TUs on the other hand could be randomized, perhaps to reflect a point or two increase over the highest soldier's TU that you have.

That woud make finding the special classes of guys appealing. Plus I think too that if they came with an apporpriate nick name, it can be used as a guide to determine how we outfit them. ie. Demolitioner tells you he'll have a bunch of grenades or HC to appoint, and what's more, you only need glance at the nick for this rather than scruitinize his stats first because you'll know he ought to have what matters for the class.

Isn't there a thread somewhere that discusses the use of automatic callsigns based on stats - eg if squaddie X gains 70+TUs and 60+ reactions he becomes a 'scout'. I would be in favour of that.

I expect j'ordos will have a link :LOL: *gets stopwatch out*

Guest Azrael
Hmmmm.... Where DID you find a PS emulator, if it's not too indiscreete? :D

I use one called Enhanced PlayStationX Emulator (ePSXe), got it from a friends, works great (got to play FFIX :naughty: ), I'll look for the webpage.

I wasn't thinking of having rambos and supermans there, just "above the average" recruits, specialized maybe. One thing I'm all for is callsigns, I don't know if that has been discussed but that has to be there.

Edited by Azrael

Isn't there a thread somewhere that discusses the use of automatic callsigns based on stats - eg if squaddie X gains 70+TUs and 60+ reactions he becomes a 'scout'.  I would be in favour of that.

I expect j'ordos will have a link :LOL:  *gets stopwatch out*

just don't make a class system "shivers"

• 5 months later...

Since all of the recruits are supposed to be from the other services, and various countries, I would like to look at the applicants before I recruit them.

I am in the Navy, and anytime somebody wants to put in for a special program, BUDS, EOD, Dive school, or whatever, they have to submit a package, witch then goes through the chain of command.

Losers can apply too, witch would explain some of the recruits I've gotten in X-com.

But when we need to hire more soldiers, we should be able to look at all of the applications available and select from there. In the beginning, when the word isn't out yet, our selection will be slim, but as we do better, and the word gets out, or the demand increases, then more and more soldiers will put in packages, and more should be of a higher grade.

So These "Applications" should show a pic, name, nation, sex, armed force, current rank and any specialties they have (Stats)

I think this would add a touch of realism, and a much needed screening process. I mean come on, I wasted $400,000 dollars last night... I ended up hiring and firing 10 soldiers last night (on the PS xcom) because they were complete garbage.

Just my two cents.

I am not sure if we should adopt the Apocalypse system in its entirety. Most of the time the presentation of information was too much and I did not grade my troops at all. Consdiering how many troops you eventually use, you would need to streamline recruiting somehow. Here are suggestions because knowing what you are buying is important:

Normally there would be at least 50,000 candidates avaliable at any time to choose from, all generated at the beginning of the game. Some of them would not be avaliable until certain dates, but that is a different part of the story(roughtly 10% come in later). 50k ppl is way to many to look through, however our handy recruiting interface will help us out.

On the left of the screen are the stat buttons we all know and love, along with a mini-doll for inventory etc. Each of the stats can be manipulated and used as a minimum stat to filter out most of the losers. You can also set maximum stats if you want bad troops for some sadistic reason. Besides choosing stat filters, you can set body size filters(height, stockiness), gender, nationality, and various inventory filters.

Each soldier would have a short dosier, although stats are displayed on a mini-panel on the right. The bio would be generated with a random script. All soldiers also have equipment that they used in normal service, part of the X-COM agreement with nations. There are tiny bonuses for them using this specific equipment, although usually it is inferior or equal to what you are buying from your MiB. Sometimes, if they came from secret units, they might have some high tech toys, although alien tech blows those out of the water.

I like the idea of a skills filter very much. I think it would streamline the recruitment process faster. Now the only thing left is to equip, then place them on ships when we go to their screens. I'd still like a lot of this to be manual, however still have some of it optioned to be set up to be automated via soldier templating based on your stats to screen recruits in the first place.

If you have ships that are full and you think you have enough for a basic garrison (thus won't be assigning them to ships unless needed), you can also automate placement on them still, its just that you can choose for instance, your second and third picks for each spot. Perhaps handled via a dropdown menu you open up on the generalized soldier list so you won't have to scruitnize each individual soldier sheet as before to do this (you still could I suppose, but having access to this on the main list just streamlines and cuts down on the screens you sift through once you get a handle on it).

• 2 months later...

It's kindof along the lines of what's been said about a bio for each potential recruit, but a armed forces service history might be a nice touch here too. It'd have to be based on the nationality and age of the recruit, but still somewhat random eg.

John Smith

Born: Manchester, England

Service History:

4 years in the British Royal Marines

3 years in the 22nd SAS

now a project xenocide operative

or something like that, i think when you see all the special forces units your agents used to belong to it'd give a feeling that you were really recruiting the 'best of the best'.

Cheers

do you know how long it would take for us to make 1000 profiles? Unless they are randomly generated(repeating names, countries, cities, armed forces) then it would take a very long time. I think i could like to see a Blehm somewhere though ;)

well, if a soldier is really really good, he could be put into xenocide, but most of the best go into special forces. Hmm, i see xcom as sort of a Rainbow six, just it isn't as controlled when you consider how many soldiers were put into rainbow six and how many were recruited by xcom(you start out with 12, and rainbow has maybe 20 total)

Yeah, I meant randomly generated... but still appropriate to what country the soldier is from, just like how the names will be appropriate. I was thinking about the bios they have for the soldiers in Rainbow when I thought about this. I think in Raven Shield there are 20 assaulters, then maybe another 15 - 20 accross the other disciplines (sniper, explosives, recon etc...)

Xenocide would still try to recruit 'the best' soldiers, that pretty much means going to people who've been in special forces of some kind.

Basically, Blehm;

Name:

Born: (They'd come in pairs so you couldn't get them from cities that don't exist in that country)

Service History: (2-4)

year(s) with

year(s) with

year(s) with

year(s) with

Edited by Exo2000

The average special forces soldier is approximately 31. The only people you'll find who are even in their mid 20's that are high in the special forces are either rangers or Navy SEALs, so perhaps a higher roll for 28-30?

Sounds good to me, yeah, thats exactly what I was meaning Exo.

Off topic: does anyone know why my post counter is stuck on zero even though i've made 5-6 posts?

Cheers