XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Psionic Theory

Well, here's my first attempt in writing a CT. I hope it's all right. At the moment, I think the 4th paragraph is really boring, but that's probably due to all the passive tense that I haven't yet been able to eliminate... :Brickwall:

I can see people sharpening their colored pens- I'd better get out of here!

-Asty

[PSIONIC THEORY]

After encounters with several of the more cerebral Alien entities, we began to realize that old folk tales of telepathy and “mind-waves” perhaps were not as far-fetched as originally thought. Soldiers in the field have made distressing reports that Aliens were “in their head,” and field commanders have begun making contingency plans should their soldiers fall inexplicably under Alien control. Even more worrisome, the Aliens seem to possess the uncanny ability to target those who are most vulnerable. Fortunately, our scientists have finally pieced together a working [Psionic Theory] to bolster our understanding of these paranormal abilities, and hopefully, counter them.

Not long ago, research into a strange Alien device yielded our first insights into the realms of psionics. When activated, this [Mind Probe] allows its user to passively perceive characteristics of nearby sentient organisms using a sense well outside the traditional five humans are accustomed to. This so-called “sixth sense” has been of particular interest to our scientists, largely because research into captured Alien technologies has, for once, uncovered something intrinsic to our own human nature.

Without additional clues, though, our research teams have not been able to delve deeply into the mysteries of the psionic disciplines. Attempts to fashion offensive psionic weaponry via [Mind Probe] modification have proved unsuccessful, and we have since been unable to bridge the gap between passive mental scans and overt psionic attacks.

However, important hints have been divined from continuing covert observations of live, psionically proficient Alien prisoners. The [Alien Containment]’s surveillance capabilities were not disclosed to the periodic maintenance crews, so there was no chance of Aliens discovering our intentions through mental probing. Indeed, those working crews became our guinea pigs of sorts- the Aliens psionically probed and influenced them, and our medical surveillance systems monitored the subtle changes in both the Aliens’ and victims’ biology during these attempts. Luckily, due to the advanced security systems within containment, we only lost two men on the maintenance team. Through scrutinizing the medical data in each of these episodes, our researchers gained a hazy understanding of the mechanics behind actively focusing and projecting psionic intent.

Initial experiments were trial-and-error attempts to induce biological changes similar to those recorded in the [Alien Containment]. Although most of these tests failed, several scientists exhibited an unusual affinity for psi-related tasks. By focusing all remaining efforts on these individuals, we have concluded that there are two main indexes for psionic ability: psi potential and psi skill. These indexes are scored on an arbitrary scale from 0-100, with zero denoting absolutely no ability and 100 denoting the most extreme cases observed. Due to the somewhat capricious nature of the scale, it may be possible to obtain scores above 100.

Psi potential is the inherent mental strength of an individual. We suspect that psi potential is hereditary, but we currently lack the time and resources to verify this hypothesis. High psi potential scores indicate a natural talent for psionics, and individuals possessing them are capable of both generating potent psionic impulses as well as shielding themselves from them. Despite the fact that psionic abilities are generally latent in human populations, psi potential appears to subtly manifest itself unconsciously when people “project” their moods. Those exhibiting such keen mental acuities can become, with training, among our most talented psionic personnel, while those with low psi potential scores are extremely susceptible to malicious psionic intents.

Psi skill, on the other hand, measures the proficiency of an individual wielding psionic powers. Unlike psi potential, psi skill can be increased through disciplined and training; however, because humans have never before even heard of “psionic training”, our base personnel are all rated with zero psi skill. Theoretically, difference between low and high psi skill scores akin to attacking with a fuzzy blanket versus a surgical scalpel- the difference between projecting a diffuse mood to those in the vicinity and a sharp precise strike against a sole target. Thus, the ability to control psionic intent is much like focusing one’s attention, and since humans have been blessed with relatively short attention spans, strict discipline is necessary during psionic training. Unfortunately, our scientists’ makeshift devices are inadequate for scientifically assessing and screening the psionic indexes of our base personnel, much less training them, but plans for a new state-of-the-art [Psi-Lab] facility have been drawn up to accommodate these express purposes.

Using our existing inroads into the [Psionic Theory], our scientists speculate that we might be able design a device to enhance the psi skills of its user. Our scientists have already begun consolidating data concerning psionic abilities for the blueprints of the anticipated [Psi-Amp] device. They are quite eager for the upper brass to give them the go-ahead.

Still, some personnel express reservations about any research into the psionic field, foreseeing privacy issues and possible discrimination against the less psionically adept. The X-Corps High Command is presently implementing strict regulations regarding the usage of psionics inside our bases.

"man: Zero?! ZERO?!! Ya stupid pencilneck! Whaddaya mean my friggin' Psi potential is ZERO?! Why, I oughtta...

scientist: It means this... (concentrates a moment)

scientist: Now squaddie, go steal the commander's uniform and burn it in the mess hall. Don't interrupt my research further.

man: Yes, master."

- taped excerpt from an investigation regarding Private Russell Harris’ recent discharge from the X-Corps

Well, here's my first attempt in writing a CT.  I hope it's all right.  At the moment, I think the 4th paragraph is really boring, but that's probably due to all the passive tense that I haven't yet been able to eliminate... :Brickwall:

I can see people sharpening their colored pens- I'd better get out of here!

-Asty

Yes, leave coward, I'll enjoy this :naughty: , but tomorrow morning, I'm soo tired right now........... don't worry, I'll be back for this :sly:

*Looks around*

Err... Colour pencil? I don't have that kind of thing lying around...

*Reaches behind back and pulls out...*

:chainsaw2: BUT I DO HAVE THIS! MUAHAHAHA!

:explode:

But seriously, for a research topic explaining psi abilities, this dances right around the topic like a matador around a bull...

However, important hints have been divined from continuing covert observations of live, psionically proficient Alien prisoners. The [Alien Containment]’s surveillance capabilities were not disclosed to the periodic maintenance crews, so there was no chance of Aliens discovering our intentions through mental probing. Indeed, those working crews became our guinea pigs of sorts- the Aliens psionically probed and influenced them, and our medical surveillance systems monitored the subtle changes in both the Aliens’ and victims’ biology during these attempts. Luckily, due to the advanced security systems within containment, we only lost two men on the maintenance team. Through scrutinizing the medical data in each of these episodes, our researchers gained a hazy understanding of the mechanics behind actively focusing and projecting psionic intent.

Initial experiments were trial-and-error attempts to induce biological changes similar to those recorded in the [Alien Containment]. Although most of these tests failed, several scientists exhibited an unusual affinity for psi-related tasks. By focusing all remaining efforts on these individuals, we have concluded that there are two main indexes for psionic ability: psi potential and psi skill. These indexes are scored on an arbitrary scale from 0-100, with zero denoting absolutely no ability and 100 denoting the most extreme cases observed. Due to the somewhat capricious nature of the scale, it may be possible to obtain scores above 100.

Induce what kind of biological changes and how? There was a thread that discussed a possible sci-fi theory of how psi works, and I think that it's worth looking into. It's this thread, and inflamatory posts aside, I think it's a very unique and usable idea. And I already have an idea for a fluffie...

"You mean that you can control peoples mind with elctro-magnetic fields?"

"Well, that's what the report says."

"But we are exposed to EM radiation everyday... heck, my cellphone probrably gives out more EM radiation than that thing down there, and I don't feel any different..."

"Who says we aren't affected? For all we know, cellphones maybe broadcasting ads directly to our brains..."

"Hmm... That would explain why I bought that pair of rollerblades when I was on the phone the other day..."

Also, various CTs have stated that victims of psi attacks tend to exhibit a certain ECG pattern afterwards.

*Edit* Also, are we going to make it necessary to research the mind probe before psi and alien intel research can begin? In the original, you didn't need to, but I say yes because it kinda makes sense...

Edited by tzuchan

*Looks around*

Err... Colour pencil? I don't have that kind of thing lying around...

*Reaches behind back and pulls out...*

:chainsaw2: BUT I DO HAVE THIS! MUAHAHAHA!

:explode:

*Edit* Also, are we going to make it necessary to research the mind probe before psi and alien intel research can begin? In the original, you didn't need to, but I say yes because it kinda makes sense...

I don't think so, that would in some way affect gameplay by forcing you to research another topic, thus slowing you down while developing the psi-amp which is very valuable, and Red Knight has made very clear that we are not to affect gameplay strategy (not noticeable :))

Then Asty better remove all mention of mind probe from the CT...

Hmm... All this talk about probing is making me think of the old joke of greys and probes...

"Okay you grey little bugger! Talk or we'll probe you!"

"With what? A mind probe? I fear those not."

"Of course not, what's the point of using that? You'll be getting anally probed using this!!"

"Aieeee! Anything but the anal probe! Anything!!!"

Then Asty better remove all mention of mind probe from the CT...

Hmm... All this talk about probing is making me think of the old joke of greys and probes...

"Okay you grey little bugger! Talk or we'll probe you!"

"With what? A mind probe? I fear those not."

"Of course not, what's the point of using that? You'll be getting anally probed using this!!"

"Aieeee! Anything but the anal probe! Anything!!!"

Or Cpl. Facehugger's sig :)

Yes, Psionic Probe should not be a requirement for this text and so no mentions of it. Or should we make it a requirement?, Psionic Lab + Psionic Probe = Psionic Theory?, this is a purely extra item, no research time needed, just a Xenocide hallmark :), so we can bend the tech tree on this one as much as we (I, muhahaha) want :)

Edited by Azrael

Actually, imho, we should make researching psionic probe a required topic for alien interrogations, that way, it's also preresearched when you start in on the psionic theory.

Given that Psi is actually one of the most heavy advantage human players have, I'd say any delay in getting it makes it better.

Since we have sort of an agreement, I'll make this especially painful... I mean thorough :P

I don't use many colors, I'd love to use all this board can provide on your text, but I'll use blue for highlights, green for comments, red for additions. Additions are not many as I don't focus in grammar or spelling much, just the whole ideas.

[PSIONIC THEORY]

After encounters with several of the more cerebral Alien entities, we began to realize that old folk tales of telepathy and “mind-waves” perhaps were not as far-fetched as originally thought. Soldiers in the field have made distressing reports that Aliens were “in their head,” and field commanders have begun making contingency plans should their soldiers fall inexplicably under Alien control. Even more worrisome, the Aliens seem to possess the uncanny ability to target those who are most vulnerable. Fortunately, our scientists have finally pieced together a working [Psionic Theory] to bolster our understanding of these paranormal abilities, and hopefully, counter them.

"Cerebral Aliens" doesn't sound all too good, how about just "psionically capable alien entities"? Also, tales of "mind-waves"?, I have heard tales of telepathy, but never of mind-waves, I don't know if I'm understanding this correctly :).

Since at the point when you obtain this theory you have nearly full understanding on how psi works, I think notes about how weird and mysterious it is should be in past, for example "... the Aliens seemed to possess the uncanny ability...", the Aliens no longer seem to have it, they do, you have researched it and you know they do, so it's no longer questionable.

Not long ago, research into a strange Alien device yielded our first insights into the realms of psionics. When activated, this [Mind Probe] allows its user to passively perceive characteristics of nearby sentient organisms using a sense well outside the traditional five humans are accustomed to. This so-called “sixth sense” has been of particular interest to our scientists, largely because research into captured Alien technologies has, for once, uncovered something intrinsic to our own human nature.

This paragraph will have to be removed in case we decide not to include Psionic Probe (final name for Mind Probe btw) as a requisite.

The sentence about the "....traditional five...", I know what it means, but if you read quickly it seems like you are talking about the senses that five humans in particular are used to, get my point?, I suggest making it just a bit more clear to prevent the weird feeling, I suggest simply "...using a sense well outside the traditional five ones Humans are accustomed to."

I also suggest, at the beginning of the paga., not to make references to time, as research into the Psionic Probe could have taken place a very long time ago, besides, "not long ago" is very relative, "not long ago" could mean not more than one month to ones or up to six months to another, or a couple of weeks to others.

Without additional clues, though, our research teams have not been able to delve deeply into the mysteries of the psionic disciplines. Attempts to fashion offensive psionic weaponry via [Mind Probe] modification have proved unsuccessful, and we have since been unable to bridge the gap between passive mental scans and covert psionic attacks.

Instead of "have not been" I suggest "had not been", as when you research [Psionic Lab] you can immediately move on to Psionic Amplifier, thus moving to offensive psionic equipment, and I also suggest, in that case, that you add a sentence about our possibility of making such a piece of equipment, since you already can.

However, important hints have been divined from continuing covert observations of live, psionically-proficient Alien prisoners. The [Alien Containment]’s surveillance capabilities were not disclosed to the periodic maintenance crews, so there was no chance of Aliens discovering our intentions through mental probing. Indeed, those working crews became our guinea pigs of sorts- the Aliens psionically probed and influenced them, and our medical surveillance systems monitored the subtle changes in both the Aliens’ and victims’ biology during these attempts. Luckily, due to the advanced security systems within containment, we only lost two men on the maintenance team. Through scrutinizing the medical data in each of these episodes, our researchers gained a hazy understanding of the mechanics behind actively focusing and projecting psionic intent.

I suggest "...surveillance shifts/rounds..." instead of "...surveillance capabilities...", as I find it odd-looking to disclose "capabilities" to the maintainance crew, maybe I'm not reading it right?

Does that other sentence implies that the X-Corps were using the maintainance crews to research?, was it intentional or accidental?, if it was intentional I find it kinda disgusting to use Humans non-volunteers to be used to see how the Aliens use their psi-powers, don't you think? I suggest making it clear that when maintainance crews did their usual rounds, they got psi probed and sometimes controlled, and then the medical data was obtained, and then they made observation without actual Human presence.

Psi potential is the inherent mental strength of an individual. We suspect that psi potential is hereditary, but we currently lack the time and resources to verify this hypothesis. High psi potential scores indicate a natural talent for psionics, and individuals possessing them are capable of both generating potent psionic impulses as well as shielding themselves from them. Despite the fact that psionic abilities are generally latent in human populations, psi potential appears to subtly manifest itself unconsciously when people “project” their moods. Those exhibiting such keen mental acuities can become, with training, among our most talented psionic personnel, while those with low psi potential scores are extremely susceptible to malicious psionic intents.

Psi skill, on the other hand, measures the proficiency of an individual wielding psionic powers. Unlike psi potential, psi skill can be increased through disciplined and training; however, because humans have never before even heard of “psionic training”, our base personnel are all rated with zero psi skill. Theoretically, difference between low and high psi skill scores akin to attacking with a fuzzy blanket versus a surgical scalpel- the difference between projecting a diffuse mood to those in the vicinity and a sharp precise strike against a sole target. Thus, the ability to control psionic intent is much like focusing one’s attention, and since humans have been blessed with relatively short attention spans, strict discipline is necessary during psionic training. Unfortunately, our scientists’ makeshift devices are inadequate for scientifically assessing and screening the psionic indexes of our base personnel, much less training them, but plans for a new state-of-the-art [Psi-Lab] facility have been drawn up to accommodate these express purposes.

"blessed" is intended as sarcastic I presume, sarcasm is fun, but non-fitting for a X-net entry :), also, if Psionic Lab is to be a requirement, the last part has to be rewritten.

Using our existing inroads into the [Psionic Theory], our scientists speculate that we might be able design a device to enhance the psi skills of its user. Our scientists have already begun consolidating data concerning psionic abilities for the blueprints of the anticipated [Psi-Amp] device. They are quite eager for the upper brass to give them the go-ahead.

"Psi skill" can be mistaken with the Psi skill score and not the usage of psi skills themselves, I suggest you make it clearer that the projected Psionic Amplifier (final name for Psi-Amp) will not enhance psi skill, but rather it will allow the user to project its powers effectively in combat, but that sentence reads "if your psi skill score is low, this device will increase it"

Still, some personnel express reservations about any research into the psionic field, foreseeing privacy issues and possible discrimination against the less psionically adept. The X-Corps High Command is presently implementing strict regulations regarding the usage of psionics inside our bases.

"man: Zero?! ZERO?!! Ya stupid pencilneck! Whaddaya mean my friggin' Psi potential is ZERO?! Why, I oughtta...

scientist: It means this... (concentrates a moment)

scientist: Now squaddie, go steal the commander's uniform and burn it in the mess hall. Don't interrupt my research further.

man: Yes, master."

- taped excerpt from an investigation regarding Private Russell Harris’ recent discharge from the X-Corps

haha, good fluff :D

Well then, that was not as painful to you as I originally intended <_< .

Great work :D

But seriously, for a research topic explaining psi abilities, this dances right around the topic like a matador around a bull...

You're right, I'll write more concrete details in order to make the Psionic Theory more theory than mystery. :) Ole!

Actually, imho, we should make researching psionic probe a required topic for alien interrogations, that way, it's also preresearched when you start in on the psionic theory.

Given that Psi is actually one of the most heavy advantage human players have, I'd say any delay in getting it makes it better.

Couldn't agree more. Plus, I like my mind probe paragraph. :D

Since at the point when you obtain this theory you have nearly full understanding on how psi works, I think notes about how weird and mysterious it is should be in past, for example "... the Aliens seemed to possess the uncanny ability...", the Aliens no longer seem to have it, they do, you have researched it and you know they do, so it's no longer questionable.

Actually, I was trying to make the CT chronological, starting from humans' initial exposure to Alien psionics to the first mind probe research to "unethical research using maintenance crews" to psionic theory and psi-lab. I'll clarify it.

This paragraph will have to be removed in case we decide not to include Psionic Probe (final name for Mind Probe btw) as a requisite.

The sentence about the "....traditional five...", I know what it means, but if you read quickly it seems like you are talking about the senses that five humans in particular are used to, get my point?, I suggest making it just a bit more clear to prevent the weird feeling, I suggest simply "...using a sense well outside the traditional five ones Humans are accustomed to."

I also suggest, at the beginning of the paga., not to make references to time, as research into the Psionic Probe could have taken place a very long time ago, besides, "not long ago" is very relative, "not long ago" could mean not more than one month to ones or up to six months to another, or a couple of weeks to others.

:Cry: But I like this paragraph! I was sort of hoping the mind probe would be a prerequisite for the other psi technologies because the mind probe has such a minor role in the game, plus, as tzuchan mentions, anything to slow psi research is probably a good thing. But I doubt we in the CTD have much say in this decision.

If it remains, I'll change the "traditional five" part into something a little more clear. Also, "not long ago, research" will probably morph into "Earlier research".

covert/overt

"Overt" was actually the intended word, but "aggressive" is more in line with what I had intended.

I suggest "...surveillance shifts/rounds..." instead of "...surveillance capabilities...", as I find it odd-looking to disclose "capabilities" to the maintainance crew, maybe I'm not reading it right?

Does that other sentence implies that the X-Corps were using the maintainance crews to research?, was it intentional or accidental?, if it was intentional I find it kinda disgusting to use Humans non-volunteers to be used to see how the Aliens use their psi-powers, don't you think? I suggest making it clear that when maintainance crews did their usual rounds, they got psi probed and sometimes controlled, and then the medical data was obtained, and then they made observation without actual Human presence.

Well, some of the other CTs sort of implied a semi-unethical bent to X-Corps research (Alien Navigation, Psi-Amp (maybe), Field Medical Kit (sort of), Personal Armor, Flying Powersuit, and the Alien Composite fluff, iirc, maybe a few others I can't recall). It was also a subtle, cynical nod to the Alien Containment fluff, showing some historical revision about the "advanced security" in Alien Containment... The problem with psi powers is that ignorant test subjects have to be used, or else the Aliens might "read their minds", discover the humans' intent, and cease their psionic activities. Unethical, yes, very much so, but I'm not sure how to get around it. I can make it less sinister, though, by making Alien Containment maintenance rounds include "hazard pay" for unspecified dangers. I will change the other aspects of the paragraph to sharpen its meaning.

"blessed" is intended as sarcastic I presume, sarcasm is fun, but non-fitting for a X-net entry :), also, if Psionic Lab is to be a requirement, the last part has to be rewritten.

I thought Psi Theory and Psi-Lab were discovered simultaneously? Well, it's no big deal to change, in any case.

"Psi skill" can be mistaken with the Psi skill score and not the usage of psi skills themselves, I suggest you make it clearer that the projected Psionic Amplifier (final name for Psi-Amp) will not enhance psi skill, but rather it will allow the user to project its powers effectively in combat, but that sentence reads "if your psi skill score is low, this device will increase it"

Crap. So it really is a psi amplifier? I was actually referring to psi skill; in my idea, the actual psi powers wouldn't be amplified- only their ability to wield psi powers (their psi skill) would be enhanced. But alas, I'll modify this. I'll probably make the "amplifier" aspect increase the psionic range of effect, rather than increase psi potency: if humans actually are pretty well off psionically (as mentioned in the Alien Goal CT), human capabilities should be able to shine on their own, somewhat.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'll whip up another version for your guys' reading pleasure. LOL

Couldn't agree more. Plus, I like my mind probe paragraph. :D

As much as I would love to make the Tech Tree as we all would love to, the fact is that Red Knight has asked not to meddle with gameplay, this entry will not cost a thing in research time, thus is will not affect anything but the sole player, so any suggestions to change the Tech tree are in the Labs for now :(

We can, if you feel like it has to, make psionic probe a requisite, after you have researched both, poof!, this entry pops in.

Actually, I was trying to make the CT chronological, starting from humans' initial exposure to Alien psionics to the first mind probe research to "unethical research using maintenance crews" to psionic theory and psi-lab. I'll clarify it.

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong, but all those references in present make it seem like you still don't know what psi is, when you say "the Aliens seem to have.." it's because you don't really know whether they have or not.

:Cry: But I like this paragraph! I was sort of hoping the mind probe would be a prerequisite for the other psi technologies because the mind probe has such a minor role in the game, plus, as tzuchan mentions, anything to slow psi research is probably a good thing. But I doubt we in the CTD have much say in this decision.

If we slow down psi research, we will probably get banned <_<

Edited by Azrael

covert/overt

"Overt" was actually the intended word, but "aggressive" is more in line with what I had intended.

Ok, a new word for me, sorry :)

Well, some of the other CTs sort of implied a semi-unethical bent to X-Corps research (Alien Navigation, Psi-Amp (maybe), Field Medical Kit (sort of), Personal Armor, Flying Powersuit, and the Alien Composite fluff, iirc, maybe a few others I can't recall). It was also a subtle, cynical nod to the Alien Containment fluff, showing some historical revision about the "advanced security" in Alien Containment... The problem with psi powers is that ignorant test subjects have to be used, or else the Aliens might "read their minds", discover the humans' intent, and cease their psionic activities. Unethical, yes, very much so, but I'm not sure how to get around it. I can make it less sinister, though, by making Alien Containment maintenance rounds include "hazard pay" for unspecified dangers. I will change the other aspects of the paragraph to sharpen its meaning.

I know what you mean, but it just sounds... too unethical, like saying "go there see if they can kill you with their minds". I don't completely disagree that ethics pretty much mean squat when you are fighting for the very existance of your planet (read my many comments on this in Alien Breeding :D ), just stroke me when I first read it, I actually like it but you know :)

I thought Psi Theory and Psi-Lab were discovered simultaneously? Well, it's no big deal to change, in any case.

If we are to include Psionic Probe, then you have to have both, so you can keep you psionic probe paragraph :)

Crap. So it really is a psi amplifier? I was actually referring to psi skill; in my idea, the actual psi powers wouldn't be amplified- only their ability to wield psi powers (their psi skill) would be enhanced. But alas, I'll modify this. I'll probably make the "amplifier" aspect increase the psionic range of effect, rather than increase psi potency: if humans actually are pretty well off psionically (as mentioned in the Alien Goal CT), human capabilities should be able to shine on their own, somewhat.

The Psi-Amp also stood in some way for "psionic amplifier". I think it's an amplifier because it allows the user to focus it's powers into the combat ways we know, it does not actually enhance in any way it's powers, just focuses them into something useful, like focusing light to create a laser of some sorts. I know the name may be a little deceptive about its uses, just realised now, but it's been voted, sorry :)

Thanks for the comments, guys.  I'll whip up another version for your guys' reading pleasure. LOL

Sure, take your time, I can always come back tear your texts apart, I'll be waiting :NyaNyaNya:

edit, split my comments in two posts as I hate when the quote tags don't appear :)

Heeded many of the great comments by you guys. I left the mind probe section in because it can be easily deleted if the tech tree swings the other way.

C'mon Az, tzuchan, and anyone else- there's a nice, fat, juicy CT just waiting to be devoured! ;)

[Psionic Theory]

After initial encounters with several psionically-capable Alien entities, we began to realize that old, fanciful folk tales of telepathy and amazing mental feats perhaps were not as far-fetched as originally thought. Soldiers in the field had made distressing reports of Aliens being “in their head,” and field commanders began making contingency plans should their soldiers fall inexplicably under Alien control. Fortunately, our scientists have finally pieced together a working [Psionic Theory] to bolster our understanding of these paranormal abilities, and hopefully, our capacity to counter them.

Earlier research into a strange Alien device yielded our first insights into the realms of psionics. When activated, this [Mind Probe] allows its user to passively perceive characteristics of nearby sentient organisms using a sense well outside the traditional five senses humans are accustomed to. This so-called “sixth sense” has been of particular interest to our scientists, largely because research into captured Alien technologies has, for once, uncovered something intrinsic to our own human nature.

Without additional clues, though, our research teams were incapable of delving deeply into the mysteries of the psionic disciplines. Attempts to fashion offensive psionic weaponry via [Mind Probe] modification have proved unsuccessful, and we have since been unable to bridge the gap between passive mental scans and overt psionic attacks.

However, important hints have been divined from continuing covert observations of live, psionically-proficient Alien prisoners. The details of the [Alien Containment]’s surveillance systems were not disclosed to the voluntary, hazard-paid maintenance crews in order to reduce the risk of the Aliens’ gleaning our intentions through mental probing. Indeed, those working crews became our guinea pigs of sorts- the Aliens psionically probed and influenced them during their work shifts, and our surveillance systems monitored the subtle changes in both the Aliens’ and victims’ biology during these incidents as well as faint variations in ambient indicators. Due to the advanced security systems within containment, casualties were limited to only two men. Still, this only serves to remind us of the frightening potential of the mental disciplines and also of the importance of our research into [Psionic Theory].

After scrutinizing the medical data and environmental logs gathered during each psionic incident, we devised and launched a series of trial-and-error experiments attempting to replicate the biological and physical changes recorded in the [Alien Containment]. Although the majority of these tests were inconclusive, several scientists were found to exhibit an unusual affinity for psi-related tasks. By concentrating our remaining efforts on these individuals, our researchers gained a clearer understanding of the mechanics behind actively focusing and projecting psionic intent.

According to our studies, psionic fields are a byproduct of neural networks found in sentient creatures. The actual process by which one sentient creature psionically influences another is similar in principle to magnetic induction: an electrical current can be induced by the presence of a magnetic field; conversely, a neural impulse can be induced by the presence of a psionic field. By focusing and wielding his/her psionic field, the would-be psionicist can subtly influence the neural chemistry of the target, theoretically causing a result ranging from no effect to total mind control. The severity of such a mental assault depends on the psionic field strength generated by the assailant and how effectively it is wielded, as well as the psionic field strength of the resisting target.

We have concluded that there are two main indexes for psionic ability: psi potential and psi skill. These indexes are scored on an arbitrary scale from 0-100, with zero denoting virtually no ability and 100 denoting the most extreme cases observed. Due to the somewhat capricious nature of the scale, it may be possible to obtain scores above 100.

Psi potential is an assessment of the psionic field strength of an individual. We suspect that psi potential is hereditary, but we currently lack the time and resources to confirm this hypothesis. High psi potential scores indicate a natural talent for psionics, and individuals possessing them are capable of both generating potent psionic impulses as well as shielding themselves from them. Despite the fact that psionic abilities are generally latent in human populations, psi potential appears to subtly manifest itself unconsciously when people “project” their moods. Those exhibiting such keen mental acuities can become, with training, among our most talented psionic personnel, while those with low psi potential scores are extremely susceptible to malicious psionic intents.

Psi skill, on the other hand, measures the proficiency of an individual wielding psionic powers. Unlike psi potential, psi skill can be increased through rigorous discipline and training; however, because humans have no prior experience with psionics, our base personnel are all rated with zero psi skill. Theoretically, difference between low and high psi skill scores akin to wielding a fuzzy blanket or a surgical scalpel- the difference between projecting a diffuse mood to those in the vicinity and a sharp precise strike against a sole target. Thus, the ability to control psionic intent is much like focusing one’s attention, but with the relatively short attention spans humans possess, strict discipline is necessary during psionic training. Unfortunately, our scientists’ makeshift research devices are not adequate for scientifically assessing and quantitating the psionic indexes of our base personnel- and even less so for screening and training them- but plans for a new state-of-the-art [Psi Lab] facility have been drawn up to accommodate these express purposes.

Currently, our ability to use psionics as a weapon has been hindered by the abysmal ranges of human-generated psionic fields, regardless of their strength. Perhaps if psionic awareness and training regimens were enforced during the formative years immediately following birth, humans might fully harness their psionic capabilities; unfortunately for the X-Corps, we do not have the luxury nor the time to raise specially selected psionically-apt children for our immediate and pressing conflict against the Aliens. We must discern a method to expand the “area of influence” covered by human psionic fields before we can wield such mental powers effectively.

Using our existing inroads into [Psionic Theory], our scientists speculate that we might be able design a device to amplify the range of human psionic fields. Our scientists have already begun consolidating relevant data for the blueprints of the anticipated [Psi-Amp] device. They are quite eager for the upper brass to give them the go-ahead.

Our scientists have also contemplated the possibility and feasibility of psionic shielding, but preliminary studies indicate a particularly steep, if not prohibitive, power requirement. Unfortunately, until we discover a manner to amplify psionic fields, such research will remain beyond our scope.

Some personnel have expressed reservations about our research into this field, foreseeing privacy issues and possible discrimination against the less psionically adept. The X-Corps High Command is presently implementing strict regulations regarding the usage of psionics inside our bases.

Man: "Zero?! ZERO?!! Ya stupid pencilneck! Whaddaya mean my friggin' Psi potential is ZERO?! Why, I oughtta..."

Scientist: "It means this..." (concentrates a moment)

Scientist: "Now squaddie, go steal the commander's uniform and burn it in the mess hall. Don't interrupt my research further."

Man: "Yes, master."

Edited by Astyanax

[Psionic Theory]

After initial encounters with several psionically-capable Alien entities, we began to realize that old, fanciful folk tales of telepathy and amazing mental feats perhaps were not as far-fetched as originally thought. Soldiers in the field had made distressing reports of Aliens being “in their head,” and field commanders began making contingency plans should their soldiers fall inexplicably under Alien control. Fortunately, our scientists have finally pieced together a working [Psionic Theory] to bolster our understanding of these paranormal abilities, and hopefully, our capacity to counter them.

Earlier research into a strange Alien device yielded our first insights into the realms of psionics. When activated, this [Mind Probe] allows its user to passively perceive characteristics of nearby sentient organisms using a sense well outside the traditional five senses humans are accustomed to. This so-called “sixth sense” has been of particular interest to our scientists, largely because research into captured Alien technologies has, for once, uncovered something intrinsic to our own human nature.

I thought I had mentioned it. Final name for Mind Probe is Psionic Probe.

Without additional clues, though, our research teams were incapable of delving deeply into the mysteries of the psionic disciplines. Attempts to fashion offensive psionic weaponry via [Mind Probe] modification have proved unsuccessful, and we have since been unable to bridge the gap between passive mental scans and overt psionic attacks.

However, important hints have been divined from continuing covert observations of live, psionically-proficient Alien prisoners. The details of the [Alien Containment]’s surveillance systems were not disclosed to the voluntary, hazard-paid maintenance crews in order to reduce the risk of the Aliens’ gleaning our intentions through mental probing. Indeed, those working crews became our guinea pigs of sorts- the Aliens psionically probed and influenced them during their work shifts, and our surveillance systems monitored the subtle changes in both the Aliens’ and victims’ biology during these incidents as well as faint variations in ambient indicators. Due to the advanced security systems within containment, casualties were limited to only two men. Still, this only serves to remind us of the frightening potential of the mental disciplines and also of the importance of our research into [Psionic Theory].

"divined" sounds odd, divination does not seem the way of a scientific investigation, or maybe I'm mistaking the asception of the word? Also, is "covert" the right word there?

After scrutinizing the medical data and environmental logs gathered during each psionic incident, we devised and launched a series of trial-and-error experiments attempting to replicate the biological and physical changes recorded in the [Alien Containment]. Although the majority of these tests were inconclusive, several scientists were found to exhibit an unusual affinity for psi-related tasks. By concentrating our remaining efforts on these individuals, our researchers gained a clearer understanding of the mechanics behind actively focusing and projecting psionic intent.

According to our studies, psionic fields are a byproduct of neural networks found in sentient creatures. The actual process by which one sentient creature psionically influences another is similar in principle to magnetic induction: an electrical current can be induced by the presence of a magnetic field; conversely, a neural impulse can be induced by the presence of a psionic field. By focusing and wielding his/her psionic field, the would-be psionicist can subtly influence the neural chemistry of the target, theoretically causing a result ranging from no effect to total mind control. The severity of such a mental assault depends on the psionic field strength generated by the assailant and how effectively it is wielded, as well as the psionic field strength of the resisting target.

Good explanation, I like it, but I think it still doesn't explain how psi works, it's difficult to explain but we must :), I always thought it was a consequence of electric charges in our brain, which could be somewhat "fired" via the optic nerve, thus affecting the electrical balance of another creature's brain, someone trained could modify this electrical balance to his advantage, but that's my idea :D, of course that it doesn't explain telekinesis or pyrokinesis...

We have concluded that there are two main indexes for psionic ability: psi potential and psi skill. These indexes are scored on an arbitrary scale from 0-100, with zero denoting virtually no ability and 100 denoting the most extreme cases observed. Due to the somewhat capricious nature of the scale, it may be possible to obtain scores above 100.

Psi potential is an assessment of the psionic field strength of an individual. We suspect that psi potential is hereditary, but we currently lack the time and resources to confirm this hypothesis. High psi potential scores indicate a natural talent for psionics, and individuals possessing them are capable of both generating potent psionic impulses as well as shielding themselves from them. Despite the fact that psionic abilities are generally latent in human populations, psi potential appears to subtly manifest itself unconsciously when people “project” their moods. Those exhibiting such keen mental acuities can become, with training, among our most talented psionic personnel, while those with low psi potential scores are extremely susceptible to malicious psionic intents.

Psi skill, on the other hand, measures the proficiency of an individual wielding psionic powers. Unlike psi potential, psi skill can be increased through rigorous discipline and training; however, because humans have no prior experience with psionics, our base personnel are all rated with zero psi skill. Theoretically, difference between low and high psi skill scores akin to wielding a fuzzy blanket or a surgical scalpel- the difference between projecting a diffuse mood to those in the vicinity and a sharp precise strike against a sole target. Thus, the ability to control psionic intent is much like focusing one’s attention, but with the relatively short attention spans humans possess, strict discipline is necessary during psionic training. Unfortunately, our scientists’ makeshift research devices are not adequate for scientifically assessing and quantitating the psionic indexes of our base personnel- and even less so for screening and training them- but plans for a new state-of-the-art [Psi Lab] facility have been drawn up to accommodate these express purposes.

I thought of this text to be obtained along with the Psi-Lab, so the only modification I suggest is mention that the plans have been drawn up and are ready to be used, minor detail.

Currently, our ability to use psionics as a weapon has been hindered by the abysmal ranges of human-generated psionic fields, regardless of their strength. Perhaps if psionic awareness and training regimens were enforced during the formative years immediately following birth, humans might fully harness their psionic capabilities; unfortunately for the X-Corps, we do not have the luxury nor the time to raise specially selected psionically-apt children for our immediate and pressing conflict against the Aliens. We must discern a method to expand the “area of influence” covered by human psionic fields before we can wield such mental powers effectively.

LOL, this about raising people since their birth reminded me of the Jedi :P

Using our existing inroads into [Psionic Theory], our scientists speculate that we might be able design a device to amplify the range of human psionic fields. Our scientists have already begun consolidating relevant data for the blueprints of the anticipated [Psi-Amp] device. They are quite eager for the upper brass to give them the go-ahead.

Our scientists have also contemplated the possibility and feasibility of psionic shielding, but preliminary studies indicate a particularly steep, if not prohibitive, power requirement. Unfortunately, until we discover a manner to amplify psionic fields, such research will remain beyond our scope.

Some personnel have expressed reservations about our research into this field, foreseeing privacy issues and possible discrimination against the less psionically adept. The X-Corps High Command is presently implementing strict regulations regarding the usage of psionics inside our bases.

Man: "Zero?! ZERO?!! Ya stupid pencilneck! Whaddaya mean my friggin' Psi potential is ZERO?! Why, I oughtta..."

Scientist: "Now squaddie, go steal the commander's uniform and burn it in the mess hall. Don't interrupt my research further."

Well, I don't have many comments, this text seems great, good work :), but don't worry, I'll think of something to complain about ;)

Edited by Azrael

Hmm... pretty nicely fleshed out...

After initial encounters with several psionically-capable Alien entities, we began to realize that old, fanciful folk tales of telepathy and amazing mental feats perhaps were not as far-fetched as originally thought.

I believe most folklores don't mention telepathy or psi abilities, and that most modern use of psi abilities in fiction come from sci-fis...

How about:

"... we began to realized that perhaps abilities such as telepathy, and the ability to influence minds might not be relegated purely to the realm of science fiction as we once thought."

And if you are feeling funny, you *could* add this line:

"... As such, we may owe those people who claimed to have telepathy and/or telekinesis an apology as they may in fact have been the real thing."

Due to the advanced security systems within containment, casualties were limited to only two men. Still, this only serves to remind us of the frightening potential of the mental disciplines and also of the importance of our research into [Psionic Theory].

Feels a little to cut and dried though... A slightly more comprehensive report regarding the incident might increase the player's involvement... Lemme give it a try:

"However, despite all the security precautions taken, the alien test subject managed to organize an escape attempt. The subject managed to gain control over all of the volunteers present at the time, and influenced them to release it. Unfortunately, when the armed guards attempted to intervene, they were also successfully mind-controlled, resulting in a brief firefight outside Containment Cell Three before the escape countermeasures activated. We suffered five casulties from the escape attempt, four from wounds sustained during the firefight, the fifth from an allergic reaction to the knockout gas used."

Hmm... pretty nicely fleshed out...
After initial encounters with several psionically-capable Alien entities, we began to realize that old, fanciful folk tales of telepathy and amazing mental feats perhaps were not as far-fetched as originally thought.

I believe most folklores don't mention telepathy or psi abilities, and that most modern use of psi abilities in fiction come from sci-fis...

How about:

"... we began to realized that perhaps abilities such as telepathy, and the ability to influence minds might not be relegated purely to the realm of science fiction as we once thought."

Well, we could consider many of the old tales of witchcraft to be results of people with psionic abilities considered as magic, imagine a woman that could move things with her mind, she would undoubtedly be considered a magician, a witch, or someone that could read thoughts would also be considered a mage. And to tell the truth, I believe that many of those tales of witchcraft were inspired by such people.

And if you are feeling funny, you *could* add this line:

"... As such, we may owe those people who claimed to have telepathy and/or telekinesis an apology as they may in fact have been the real thing."

This is good :)

Due to the advanced security systems within containment, casualties were limited to only two men. Still, this only serves to remind us of the frightening potential of the mental disciplines and also of the importance of our research into [Psionic Theory].

Feels a little to cut and dried though... A slightly more comprehensive report regarding the incident might increase the player's involvement... Lemme give it a try:

"However, despite all the security precautions taken, the alien test subject managed to organize an escape attempt. The subject managed to gain control over all of the volunteers present at the time, and influenced them to release it. Unfortunately, when the armed guards attempted to intervene, they were also successfully mind-controlled, resulting in a brief firefight outside Containment Cell Three before the escape countermeasures activated. We suffered five casulties from the escape attempt, four from wounds sustained during the firefight, the fifth from an allergic reaction to the knockout gas used."

I've just noticed something, that 'incident' is awfully similar to the one that happened in the Cloak CT, here:

In the last planned interrogation, the Cloak took control of several members that were involved and we were given a spectacular, although unfortunate, demonstration of why these creatures are natural leaders. Using the staff under its control, the Alien showed outstanding resolve and insight in military tactics in its attempt to escape. After several minutes of intense fighting the specimen was subdued and all affected personnel quarantined until deemed safe to release. All contact with the creature was quickly terminated.

One would think X-Corps would've learned their lesson and taken more precautions, besides, the same incident would be kinda repetitive.

Edited by Azrael

Hmm.. I dunno. I thikn it may be better to remove any mention of aliens using psi to escape in the individual alien cts and stuff that event into the psi CT... That way, it'd work even if you caught a grey leader in stead of a random cloak...

That's my point...

I purposely left it vague as to which species was being studied. After all, it's very possible that the player will be getting it from a grey leader. What I suggested was the removing of the similar part from the cloak ct...

That's my point...

I purposely left it vague as to which species was being studied. After all, it's very possible that the player will be getting it from a grey leader. What I suggested was the removing of the similar part from the cloak ct...

For what reason?

as you said, repetative, and if the player researches cloaks after researching psi, "How come X-Corps ain't smart enuff to prevent the same problem from happening twice?"

Bah, forget I mentioned it.

But in that case we should remove it from here :)

Hmmm, not in the mood for a good exchange of opinions? :knockout:

Thanks, you two, these comments really help. Responses to:

Azrael's comments

You did mention that the Mind Probe is now the Psionic Probe, I just accidentally skipped over it. :P

I will consider changing "divined" to "uncovered". I had originally thought "divined" was approprate considering the then-cluelessness of the scientists researching psi, as well as the fact that they had only divined "hints". Still, you might be right about it sounding awkward in a scientist's explanation.

"Covert" isn't quite the right word- I think "secret" might be better.

Also, do we have to explain psi in great depth? I feel that the more we explain, the less plausible the idea of psi becomes, especially since we're trying to explain something that doesn't exist (Psionic fields? Right...) Personally, I'd like to allow the analogies to carry the brunt of the explanation of psi mechanics- that way, there's less room for inconsistency and disbelief.

I'll clarify the availability and readiness of the Psi Lab blueprints.

tzuchan's comments

I'll probably change "old, fanciful folk tales" to simply "fanciful tales".

I'll consider adding your "apology to telekineticists and telepathists" line, but I'm not sure it fits with the "dire situation" tone of that paragraph.

I can alter the Alien Containment section to:

1) erase all mention of casualties. Instead, I'll mention that the Alien Containment area is screened very heavily for dangerous items, and only one person enters at a time. Should there be danger to the "volunteer", a remote observer triggers the security systems and knocks the Aliens out.

2) mention certain Alien races being more difficult to contain due to their psionic prowess, and incidents have occurred where Aliens have breached containment and resulted in casualties (but not specifying which Alien race broke out). The Cloak CT would have to remove its mention of the breakout in this case though (hey Sinscale17, I've learned not to use those commas! :)).

3) same as 2), but mention that the Aliens are clever, outfoxing their humans on two separate occasions- one due to inadequate security measures (see Alien Containment fluff, and I'm assuming those were Greys) and the other due to subtlety (see Cloak CT). These two notable incidents of Aliens breaching containment done by prisoners of different psionic Alien races (Cloaks and Grey, but this won't be mentioned). In each of the incidents, valuable information was gathered, though there were casualties when suppression teams moved in. This way, no changes to the Cloak or Grey CTs are necessary. Just because the Grey CT doesn't mention a breakout incident doesn't mean it didn't happen- OR- the Grey CT can be modified to add an incident.

In any case, I'll make a note that the "covert observation" phase of the research has ended and sufficient data has been collected; further knowledge is not worth the risks involved. Frankly, I like 3) the best. :) What do you guys think?

Edited by Astyanax

I was thinking about explaining this inexplainable theory.

I know some sharks are able to read through murky waters the electric discharges in small fish muscles. I guess a Psi Reader can be an electroencephalograph able to read from a distance the brain's waves and the aliens figure out how to actually interpret those waves.

From gifted aliens brain cells are extracted and cultured and added to a device called Psy Amp which is able to add brainwaves from implants found in our soldiers heads and transfered to those cell cultures which amplify them and then they're sent into target brains from a dsitance. Am I making any sense?

Interesting ideas, though both the Psi Probe and Psi Amp have their own CTs. :P There is some small fluidity in the tech tree since this is an entirely new entry (X-Com did not have it), hence the prior discussion about the appropriateness of the Psi Probe reference in the thread. It'll get sorted out eventually, and in the worst case, this text will just have a couple fewer paragraphs. :)

Anyway, your Psi Probe idea assumes an integrated "neural impulse" interpreter, right? That means that there'd be a library of "EKG translations" (heh, sort of like dipstick's Stun Baton CT), and any creature not in the library could not have its mind read. And I'd assume that the Aliens wouldn't anticipate using the mind reader on themselves, so they would be absent from the library, rendering it useless to humans?

Wait a second... isn't this idea the sort of the same principle behind the "lie detector"? Lie detectors can make errors on even simple yes-no questions; how can more complicated information be transmitted in a comprehendable manner?

For the Psi Amp, your idea is pretty similar to what already exists in that CT, except it makes mention of an exotic enzyme rather than a cell culture.

Edited by Astyanax

I guess they have adaptable algorythm analysis, so it works on anything, if you wait enough. Probably that's why it takes 50% time units to do this.

There are new techniques for lie detector in which the do NMR on peoples brain and see how much arteries are dilating in the brain when a person is lying. It's a big improvement.

I wasn't aware it's already done, maybe I should write less and read more.

:devillaugh: Devil's advocate: but that's only for lies. We're talking about the ability to tell that xx creature is a Tasoth Commander from the electrical pulses.

By the way, you can check existing texts on the Creative Text Asset List: http://www.projectxenocide.com/ctassets/creativetext.html

Green ones (which are in Phase 1) you might not have access to the threads, but there should be a RTF file for you to read. Blue ones are in this "Active" forum, and red ones don't currently have a thread.

:devillaugh: Devil's advocate: but that's only for lies.  We're talking about the ability to tell that xx creature is a Tasoth Commander from the electrical pulses.

By the way, you can check existing texts on the Creative Text Asset List: http://www.projectxenocide.com/ctassets/creativetext.html

Green ones (which are in Phase 1) you might not have access to the threads, but there should be a RTF file for you to read.  Blue ones are in this "Active" forum, and red ones don't currently have a thread.

He can access the threads, just can't reply on them, read only to non-members of the Inner Circle :wink1:

• 1 month later...

Text in blue may be deleted to address tech tree concerns.

tzuchan: I tried fitting in your, "... As such, we may owe those people who claimed to have telepathy and/or telekinesis an apology as they may in fact have been the real thing," quote as a fluff somewhere in the text, but I couldn’t find a place where the tone might allow such levity. :(

[Psionic Theory]

After initial encounters with several psionically-capable Alien entities, we began to realize that fanciful tales of telepathy and amazing mental feats perhaps were not as far-fetched as originally thought. Soldiers in the field have made distressing reports of Aliens being “in their head” and field commanders have begun making contingency plans should their soldiers fall inexplicably under Alien control. Fortunately, our scientists have finally pieced together a working [Psionic Theory] to bolster our understanding of these paranormal abilities, and hopefully, our capacity to counter them.

Prior research into a strange Alien device yielded our first insights into the realms of psionics. When activated, this Psionic Probe allowed its user to passively perceive characteristics of nearby sentient organisms using a sense well outside the traditional five senses humans are accustomed to. This so-called “sixth sense” has been of particular interest to our scientists, largely because research into captured Alien technologies has, for once, uncovered something intrinsic to our own human nature.

Without additional clues, though, our research teams were incapable of deciphering many of the mysteries within the psionic disciplines. Attempts to fashion offensive psionic weaponry via Psionic Probe modification have proved unsuccessful, and we had since been unable to bridge the gap between passive mental scans and overt psionic attacks.

However, vital hints were uncovered from observations of live, psionically-proficient Alien prisoners.  Of note are two separate occasions where Aliens managed to breach [Alien Containment], once due to inadequate security measures, the other due to pure subtlety- incidents which have led to significant upgrades in containment security.  Each Alien escape attempt involved prisoners of different psionic Alien races, and while casualties were sustained after suppression teams moved in, we were able to collect crucial information concerning the nature of psionics.

After scrutinizing the medical data and environmental logs gathered during each incident, we pinpointed deviations in key markers and subsequently devised and launched a series of trial-and-error experiments attempting to replicate these biological and physiological alterations in test subjects. Although the majority of these tests were inconclusive, several scientists were found to exhibit an unusual affinity for psi-related tasks. By concentrating our remaining efforts on these individuals, our researchers gained a clearer understanding of the mechanics behind actively focusing and projecting psionic intent.

Psi skill, on the other hand, measures the proficiency of an individual wielding psionic powers. Unlike psi potential, psi skill can be increased through rigorous discipline and training; however, because humans have no prior experience with psionics, our base personnel are all rated with zero psi skill. Theoretically, the difference between low and high psi skill scores is akin to wielding a fuzzy blanket versus a surgical scalpel- the difference between projecting a diffuse mood to those in the vicinity and a sharp precise strike against a sole target. Thus, the ability to control psionic intent is much like focusing one’s attention, but with the relatively short attention spans humans possess, strict discipline is necessary during psionic training. Unfortunately, our scientists’ makeshift research devices are not adequate for scientifically assessing and quantitating the psionic indexes of our base personnel- and even less so for screening and training them- but plans for a new state-of-the-art [Psi Lab] facility have been drawn up and finalized in order to accommodate these express purposes.

Using our existing inroads into [Psionic Theory], our scientists speculate that we might be able design a device to amplify the range of human psionic fields. Our scientists have already begun consolidating relevant data for the blueprints of the anticipated [Psi-Amp] device. They are quite eager for the upper brass to give them the go-ahead for the project.

Edited by Astyanax

• 2 months later...
Can i possess this CTD? I've been dying for work and this is the first CTD that no one is working on and i feel like helping out a bit

Guest Azrael
Can i possess this CTD?  I've been dying for work and this is the first CTD that no one is working on and i feel like helping out a bit

Astyanax is working on this, and it's very close to being completed (if it isn't already).

As always, you can make comments/complaints/compliments/suggestions :)

Edited by Azrael

Can i possess this CTD?  I've been dying for work and this is the first CTD that no one is working on and i feel like helping out a bit

Sorry blehm, this is my only text at the moment and I'm pretty attached to it. :wub: Still, if you have ideas that you think aren't adequately addressed, I'd be happy to consider them, but I can make no guarantees on their inclusion.

The only reason why I haven't posted in a while is because there were no more comments- I thought it was pretty close to completion. However, now that I've looked at my text again, there are a few things I want to tweak. I've added a couple lines to the first paragraph to make it a better "summary" for people who don't want to read the whole text, added and modified a bit of text to replace the blue text, and made a few small changes elsewhere in the text.

The text in blue had depended on whether the mind probe is a prerequisite for the psi-amp in the tech tree. As far as I know, it currently isn't, so I've deleted the highlighted text. It was only still there because I was sentimentally attached to it, but even sentimentality must heed reason. :unsure:

[Psionic Theory]

After initial encounters with several psionically-capable Alien entities, we began to realize that fanciful tales of telepathy and amazing mental feats were perhaps not as far-fetched as originally thought. Soldiers in the field have made distressing reports of Aliens being “in their head” and field commanders have begun making contingency plans should their soldiers fall inexplicably under Alien control. Fortunately, our scientists have finally pieced together a working [Psionic Theory] to bolster our understanding of these paranormal abilities, and hopefully, our capacity to counter them. Under this theory, the two primary measures of psionic competence are psi potential and psi skill, the former determining the brute strength of the individual's will, the latter determining how effectively the individual can command it.  Though psi potential is immutable, psi skill can be trained in dedicated facilities.

[Psionic Theory] has been quite an unusual research topic in more than one respect.  Though most research conducted in Xenocide bases involves Alien specimens and artifacts in an attempt to further our understanding of our enemy and their technology, [Psionic Theory] has, for once, allowed us the opportunity to further our understanding of our own nature.

Unlike other research we have conducted thus far, our understanding of psionic fields comes from equal parts trial-and-error, scientific method, and just plain luck. Our first attempts to understand psionics were utter and complete failures; our scientists just didn't know where to begin- or even how to approach such an ambiguous subject. Without additional clues, our research teams found it difficult to tease out solid details within the psionic disciplines.

Fortuitously, vital hints were uncovered from observations of live, psionically-proficient Alien prisoners.  In two separate incidents, incarcerated Aliens breached [Alien Containment], the first due to inadequate security measures, the other due to artifice, with both leading to significant upgrades in containment security.  Because each Alien escape attempt involved prisoners of different psionic Alien races, we were able to collect crucial information concerning the nature of psionics.

By scrutinizing medical data and environmental logs gathered from each incident, we pinpointed deviations in key markers and subsequently devised and launched a series of trial-and-error experiments attempting to replicate these biological and physiological alterations in volunteer test subjects. Although the majority of these tests were inconclusive, several individuals were found to exhibit an unusual affinity for psi-related tasks. By concentrating our remaining efforts on these candidates, our researchers gained a clearer understanding of the mechanics behind actively focusing and projecting psionic intent.

According to our studies, psionic fields (more popularly called "brain-waves" by base personnel) are normally a byproduct of neural networks found in sentient creatures. However, we have discovered that it is actually possible to force feedback into a neural network with a strong enough psionic field. The actual process by which one sentient creature psionically influences another is similar in principle to magnetic induction: an electrical current can be induced by the presence of a magnetic field; correspondingly, a neural impulse can be induced by the presence of a psionic field. By focusing and wielding his/her psionic field, the would-be psionicist can subtly influence the neural chemistry of the target, causing a result ranging from no effect to total mind control. The severity of such a mental assault depends on the psionic field strength generated by the assailant and how effectively it is wielded, as well as the psionic field strength of the resisting target.

Psi potential is an assessment of the psionic field strength of an individual. We suspect that psi potential is hereditary, but we currently lack the time and resources to confirm this hypothesis. High psi potential scores indicate a natural talent for psionics, and individuals possessing them are capable of both generating potent psionic impulses as well as shielding themselves from them. Despite the fact that psionic abilities are generally latent in human populations, psi potential appears to subtly manifest itself unconsciously when people “project” their moods. Those exhibiting such keen mental acuities can become, with training, among our most talented psionic personnel, while those with low psi potential scores will be extremely susceptible to malicious psionic intents.

Psi skill, on the other hand, measures the proficiency of an individual wielding psionic powers. Unlike psi potential, psi skill can be increased through rigorous discipline and training; however, because humans have no prior experience with psionics, our base personnel are all initially rated with a psi skill of zero. Theoretically, the difference between low and high psi skill scores is akin to wielding a fuzzy blanket versus a surgical scalpel- the difference between projecting a diffuse mood to those in the vicinity and a sharp precise strike against a sole target. Thus, the ability to control psionic intent is much like focusing one’s attention, but with the relatively short attention spans humans possess, strict discipline is necessary during psionic training. Unfortunately, our scientists’ makeshift research devices are not adequate for scientifically assessing and quantitating the psionic indexes of our base personnel- and even less so for screening and training them- but plans for a new state-of-the-art [Psi Lab] facility have been drawn up and finalized in order to accommodate these express purposes.

Using our existing inroads into [Psionic Theory], our scientists speculate that we may be able design a device to amplify the range of human psionic fields, possibly by taking advantage of the field-modulative properties of Xenium. Our scientists have already begun consolidating relevant data for the blueprints of the anticipated [Psi-Amp] device. They are quite eager for the upper brass to give them the go-ahead for the project.

Some personnel have expressed reservations about our research into this field, foreseeing privacy issues and possible discrimination against the less psionically adept. The X-Corps High Command is presently implementing strict regulations regarding the usage of psionics in bases.

Scientist: "Hey, hey, hold on a minute!  I'll show you what it means..." (concentrates a moment)

Scientist: "All right squaddie, go steal the commander's uniform and burn it in the mess hall. Don't interrupt my research further."

Man: "...Yes, master."

- taped excerpt from an inquiry regarding Private Russell Harris’ recent discharge from the X-Corps

Edited by Astyanax

this looks very good! one thing is missing, though... the Psi-Amp in Xcom needed Elerium for manufacturing. It does not necessarily need to be that way, but I always thought that the Elerium is the amplifying agent, by some kind of resonance. So perhaps we need something like:

Its unusual energetic properties allow Xenium to resonate with these psionic fields, amplifying and focussing them. Estimating the amplification provided by pieces of Xenium in different relative positions, we have been able to make educated guesses about the dynamics of psionic field propagation through space. With this, we should be able to create advanced psionic field amplification devices, hopefully even portable ones, which may be used in the field. The aliens, through whatever means, appear to be able to focus their psionic fields without using this kind of technology.

...In my opinion, for V1+, we should think about changing the Psi-Amps into things that have to be pointed at the target... but that's another matter.

Edited by Moriarty

A re morty! I have to agree with you on the mentioning of Xenium needed for [Psi-Amps]

...In my opinion, for V1+, we should think about changing the Psi-Amps into things that have to be pointed at the target... but that's another matter.

Actually no. If it is an amplyfier that changes the electromagnetic/gravitational field around the user, then it should be "AROUND" him! ;). Thus, an orb-like Psi-amp seems more rational to me

well, I was just thinking that in order to amplify something, you need energy. and since the Psi-Amp does not need energy (and I am absolutely against Laser Weapons with unlimited ammunition, btw), I think it might work by focussing the field... smaller effect area, higher field density. That's why. I really think that it shouldn't be an "amplifier" at all, I guess... more likely a "Psi Projector" :D

one thing is missing, though... the Psi-Amp in Xcom needed Elerium for manufacturing.

Hey, thanks Moriarty! I totally forgot about the Elerium/Xenium requirement, and I like the "resonance" idea. (Also, thanks for replying :) - my text was getting a bit lonely :Cry: )

On the other hand, this isn't the Psi-Amp text, so I don't know if such a detailed discussion would be appropriate; I think the finer details of your suggestion might be better placed in the actual Psi-Amp CT.

How about something like (changes in blue):

Using our existing inroads into [Psionic Theory], our scientists speculate that we might be able design a device to amplify the range of human psionic fields by taking advantage of the unusual field-modulative abilities of Xenium. Our scientists have already begun consolidating relevant data for the blueprints of the anticipated [Psi-Amp] device. They are quite eager for the upper brass to give them the go-ahead for the project.

This alteration suggests that Xenium can affect other fields in addition to gravitational ones.

well, I was just thinking that in order to amplify something, you need energy. and since the Psi-Amp does not need energy (and I am absolutely against Laser Weapons with unlimited ammunition, btw), I think it might work by focussing the field... smaller effect area, higher field density. That's why. I really think that it shouldn't be an "amplifier" at all, I guess... more likely a "Psi Projector" :D

I don't think Psi-Amp is the final name, so its method of operation can still be negotiated (to a degree). Out of curiosity, did using the Psi-Amp in X-Com 1 expend stamina? I'm wondering because if it did, we could say the energy needed for the Psi-Amp comes from its operator.

I like the idea of "smaller effect area, higher field density", but I sort of already attributed that psi skill:

Theoretically, the difference between low and high psi skill scores is akin to wielding a fuzzy blanket versus a surgical scalpel- the difference between projecting a diffuse mood to those in the vicinity and a sharp precise strike against a sole target. Thus, the ability to control psionic intent is much like focusing one’s attention, but with the relatively short attention spans humans possess, strict discipline is necessary during psionic training.

Perhaps Xenium assists with the focusing?

edit- Unfortunately, I just took a look at the Psi-Amp CT and that text is already in the proofreading stage. :( Even more unfortunately, it says that an Alien enzyme is used to amplify "brain-waves", not Xenium. :(

Of course, Xenium will have to be mentioned, but to what extent we can change that text will be up to Azrael.

Edited by Astyanax

edit- Unfortunately, I just took a look at the Psi-Amp CT and that text is already in the proofreading stage. :(  Even more unfortunately, it says that an Alien enzyme is used to amplify "brain-waves", not Xenium. :(

Of course, Xenium will have to be mentioned, but to what extent we can change that text will be up to Azrael.

uh. really? that's kinda bad. perhaps we can organize a little protest movement to change the Psi-Amp text again or move it back to active? I'm all for that. :blush1:

Well, I can sort of see why Az is so reluctant to change previous texts... at least nowadays (before, I had no compunctions whatsoever :P ). If we were to go back and change older texts whenever we felt like it, the contributions of older members would effectively be erased, and we'd be spending a lot of our time on old texts when we should be working on new ones. Imho, we should at least make an attempt to accommodate the ideas in older texts before resorting to changing them.

So, how about this? There are many enzymes that must contain metal ions for their biological activity (see here, under "biological role" for some brief examples). Maybe the "enzyme" that amplifies "brain-waves" in the Psi-Amp contains Xenium in its active sites? Xenium, by itself, doesn't directly affect "brain-waves", which is why psi-talented humans didn't "feel" the presence of Xenium when it first was recovered. This would also be why the Xenium CT doesn't mention even hint about Xenium's psi properties. Instead, Xenium must be harnessed by the enzyme's structure in order to bring about its psionic amplification ability?

With this idea, though, I think few things still need to be added to the Psi-Amp CT:

1.) a line that says Xenium is needed for the Psi-Amp (this is required anyway)

2.) maybe a line that explains why the previous research on Xenium (the Xenium CT or preliminary studies) didn't detect psi properties (psi properties only manifest in enzyme form). Note that researching Xenium is not a prerequisite for the Psi-Amp.

3.) a short explanation on how the Xenium-enzyme catalyzes "brain-wave" amplification

On another note, I will edit in the term "brain-wave" into my text for consistency.

edit- I've been tweaking other things in the last version of the text as well.

Edited by Astyanax

Guest Azrael
Well, I can sort of see why Az is so reluctant to change previous texts... at least nowadays (before, I had no compunctions whatsoever :P ).  If we were to go back and change older texts whenever we felt like it, the contributions of older members would effectively be erased, and we'd be spending a lot of our time on old texts when we should be working on new ones.  Imho, we should at least make an attempt to accommodate the ideas in older texts before resorting to changing them.

So, how about this?  There are many enzymes that must contain metal ions for their biological activity (see here, under "biological role" for some brief examples).  Maybe the "enzyme" that amplifies "brain-waves" in the Psi-Amp contains Xenium in its active sites?  Xenium, by itself, doesn't directly affect "brain-waves", which is why psi-talented humans didn't "feel" the presence of Xenium when it first was recovered.  This would also be why the Xenium CT doesn't mention even hint about Xenium's psi properties.  Instead, Xenium must be harnessed by the enzyme's structure in order to bring about its psionic amplification ability?

With this idea, though, I think few things still need to be added to the Psi-Amp CT:

2.) maybe a line that explains why the previous research on Xenium (the Xenium CT or preliminary studies) didn't detect psi properties (psi properties only manifest in enzyme form).  Note that researching Xenium is not a prerequisite for the Psi-Amp.

3.) a short explanation on how the Xenium-enzyme catalyzes "brain-wave" amplification

On another note, I will edit in the term "brain-wave" into my text for consistency.

edit- I've been tweaking other things in the last version of the text as well.

We only need one line explaining that Xenium is required for manufacture, the Xenium will power the device.

I agree with Moriarty. If Xenium is a power source, it would be expended, and the Psi-Amp would need power clips of some sort. Didn't we have a similar discussion about the Plasma Cannon- that it should require ammunition to address its Xenium consumption?

That's why I tried fiddling with the existing enzyme idea in the Psi-Amp text. Enzymes behave as catalysts and a Xenium-enzyme would also explain why Xenium is only needed for its manufacture.

2.) maybe a line that explains why the previous research on Xenium (the Xenium CT or preliminary studies) didn't detect psi properties (psi properties only manifest in enzyme form).  Note that researching Xenium is not a prerequisite for the Psi-Amp.

If you really want to skimp on explanations, only #1 is critical- the other two were to answer other questions the reader might have. I added them because (imho) if a CT leaves the reader with more questions, it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing.

Guest Azrael
I agree with Moriarty.  If Xenium is a power source, it would be expended, and the Psi-Amp would need power clips of some sort.  Didn't we have a similar discussion about the Plasma Cannon- that it should require ammunition to address its Xenium consumption?

That's why I tried fiddling with the existing enzyme idea in the Psi-Amp text.  Enzymes behave as catalysts and a Xenium-enzyme would also explain why Xenium is only needed for its manufacture.

If you really want to skimp on explanations, only #1 is critical- the other two were to answer other questions the reader might have. I added them because (imho) if a CT leaves the reader with more questions, it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing.

This discussion is unnecessary, powering the device does not mean expendable, no one said the device used enormous amounts of energy that could deplete the Xenium in a week, I will add the missing sentence, but I don't want another over-complicated explanation that is not really needed. I will add the missing sentence, thanks for spotting it.

Another point against Xenium-catalyst is that it is beginning to stretch

thin... We are already using xenium for too many varied purposes, and for something which is a solid knot of space-time to actually have chemical properties is really really stretching it...

Xenium as a long lifed power source, okay, xenium generating gravity waves, okay, xenium as a one stop solution to mankind's understanding of the universe, huh?

Xenium as a long lifed power source, okay, xenium generating gravity waves, okay, xenium as a one stop solution to mankind's understanding of the universe, huh?

Isn't that what Elerium was in X-Com 1? Power source, anti-grav, etc. :P

Joking aside, point taken. Though I still have reservations about Xenium being used as a power source (if the power requirements are not large, why not use a less exotic power source, like batteries or rechargeable capacitors like in the laser CTs? People might ask whether why Xenium is needed for the Psi-Amp in this case), I've just got a "Senior Smackdown", so I won't press further.

Edited by Astyanax

Guest Azrael

Isn't that what Elerium was in X-Com 1? Power source, anti-grav, etc. :P

Joking aside, point taken. Though I still have reservations about Xenium being used as a power source (if the power requirements are not large, why not use a less exotic power source, like batteries or rechargeable capacitors like in the laser CTs?

Simple, game balance, not everything can be explained as if it was the real world, why they don't use it? we don't know, they just do :)

People might ask whether why Xenium is needed for the Psi-Amp in this case), I've just got a "Senior Smackdown", so I won't press further.

Nah, I just don't want this thread to be sunken into endless discussions which can be solved easy, plus this is not really worth looking for a farfetched explanation of how Xenium calalyzes psionic reactions. Also, I don't think anyone will ask himself that :P