Photo

Base Design Poll

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: Regarding choke points

I design my bases . . .

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 10,529 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

We all hear about choke points for bases, but I knew a guy in school he designed for speed of building. What do you do?
Posted Image
I'm starting to like the heavy cannon more and more.

#2 Zombie

Zombie

Colonel

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

None of the above. I build my bases as small as practical and fill it with tons of soldiers. If the aliens are stupid enough to attack my base, they will find that all the spawn points are already occupied by my men and they can't come in. I therefore automatically win the mission without lifting a finger. Choke point design is thus a moot point. LOL

- Zombie
The Mr. Grognard of X-COM

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#3 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:45 PM

Haven't a clue.

For the uber-starting-base I kind of like to use two chokepoints - but as long as I can put all the enemy access points to one side of the base and all of my spawn points on the other, that'll do. This carries on into Apocalypse too.

For intercept outposts - what layout? The modules just get tossed down at random. I think my favourite would bet he one where the various modules revolve around the hangar. Troops surrounding the aliens from many angles. Fun. Did I mention the explosives? Oh indeed lots of that too.

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 08 September 2008 - 11:45 PM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1