• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 08:32 PM

does anyone know of a good free one? found a really cool one on the analogX site but its cool in all the wrong ways... could do with one that sounds at least a bit realistic.

(it's based on some vintage code so it sounds really sythetic. all its got for variables is a pitch control, a stronghanded modulator, and "cascade" which i dont understand at all. anyway, you can make some excellent sounds with it, could come in useful for alien noises)
...or something

#2 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 09:34 AM

Check out the video reports in the upper right corner of the page at http://www.ananova.com/ This is a combination of phonetic speech synthesis along with animation software which moves the face based on the phenomes being read. This tool is just being fed text at this point, nothing else. Pretty cool, but just the speech portion takes up 500mb of space to store all those realistic voice chunks. I think the software cost $29 or so, it's been a while since I looked into it. I posted a thread regarding this and having the monthly reports read to you by a "newscaster" using something like this. But realistic voices take way too much space to include it with the game, if it's ever done it would be a totally seperate package.

#3 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 02:32 PM

Hmm... those 500MB are because there's a whole bunch of different voices included, right? How much space would be needed for just one voice? And maybe it could be compressed in a special package file, as well.
Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#4 hippyjon

hippyjon

Sound Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:37 AM

the size of it probably isn't due that much to loads of different voices, but how complicated speach actualy is (there's loads of different inflections and stuff).

whats the software called? might be worth me investing in it.
...or something

#5 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 10:37 AM

http://www.xcomufo.c...indpost&p=19924 is the thread discussing this issue previously.

http://www.elantts.c...emos/sayso.html Has samples of speech made by Sayso.

http://wcarchive.cdr...4/Mike16wav.wav is a sample of the AT&T text to speech engine in use. It's the 500mb system. The reason it's so big is because there are so many combinations of sounds, and this system has recordings of all the different combinations of phenomes you might encounter, allowing it to pronounce quite a bit of words accurately. The exceptions would be proper names that aren't spelled the way they sound of course, but you can send the speech engine different spellings to make it sound correct I expect.

#6 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 11:00 AM

As a follow up, I contacted the Elan software company and requested a demo of the Sayso application, I still train the blind/visually impaired on the side and it might prove a useful tool doing that. If they send me a demo we can see how it works, but I'll tell you up front the software or sound files created are not for commercial use. So it would be more of a "what if" scenario.

#7 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 11:10 AM

Also found an AT&T SDK sold by a company which allows you to add whatever you like into your app, but it's $295.00 for that. I don't know if it's an exception or the rule for pricing on the engine...

#8 Xer0

Xer0

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:02 PM

Fruityloops 4 Studio Demo

Just posted this in another thread but there is a pretty good speech synthesizer here, and you can do different voices, then screw around with it more with tons of FX.