XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Chryssilid Research possible

Well, Chrysallids still move way fast. So whether or not they can make you preggy, they're still very dangerous.

Maybe an outcrop of chrysallid is the development of a bipedal HWP. Just a thought. Or maybe, we could come up with armor like the chrysallid. Extremely tough, yet light like a summer's breeze.

Another incident could be that what you ordered for your base (weapons,ammo, etc) got mixed up with another order, so you basicly loose money, and are stuck with potatoe's in your generals stores cuz no one wants to buy them. Or maybe this could play out in your favour.

Or another thing that could really annoy someone, but only in a harder difficulty. Once you shoot down a UFO or a terrorizing is happing and you send out your skyranger an UFO attacks you. This of course kills all your soldiers, but it would be fun........ for the aliens.

Edited by Afflicted

Im totaly agasint random things as described by the majoirty.

Remember xcom1 when you had got everything you needed and knew you had to goto mars...got your squads all beefed up with Football bombs PSI amps and proxi grenades.

ALl was left was the damn advenger to finish. Yet you had to keep intercepting UFO and doing the missions because if you didnt you could very well fail the monthy refiance and lose the game.

Random events should not stop main gameplay in anyway..and should if the player wishes just skiped.

EG Message Pops up

1.Alien in captivty escaped, base personal can kill the creature or would you like to take control of the mission sir to try to recapture it?

2.Reports have come in that aliens have infiltraited govement X If WE attack now we could destroy all subverted personal and perhaps even earn a cash bonus.

3.Funding nation Y has come under heavy atack recently from terroroists, a entire city block has been seized and local govement forces have been forced back. If we send in a Xcom team and save the hostages we could form a lasting relationship with the country and perhaps earn a increase in funding or cash bonus.

4.WE have gathered information that Country X has captured alien tech and are currently researching it, this research could be very valuable...if we can get a team in and out undetected we could advance our own research into ______ to near completion.

All can be skiped...all offer something if taken..and dont really do anything if not taken.

Uhm.. guys, wasn't that the idea in the first place? Events happen and you can ignore or react.

It's just that in Xcom... after researching for everything and you're only waiting for the commander or waiting for your engineers to finish building the avenger, we have a tendency to just let all those ufo's slip by, or we try crashing them into the water.

In short, as nice as xcom is, there is a point where it just get's repetitious and tedious. Random events might just be one of those things that can prevent this from happening.

I like the idea of every now getting a unique weapon that's unresearchable. Maybe an ancient alien artifact that is beyond our scientific comprehension. This might be one of those possible blessings from random events that we can have.

Was it? I didn't know.

I think there should be a penalty for ignoring it, like maybe u lose some men coz u didn't bother 2 handle it urself.

Other than that I agree with everything u ave written WH, wow a 1st I agree with things twice in a row :o

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, I moved the posts about developing advanced HWP/robots to its own thread. This thread should stick more to topic.

Edit: also renamed thread to reflect discussion of random events.

Edited by Breunor

I like Firehawk's idea of the random events just being a message that's posted. You could choose to become active or ignore it and accept the default. Terror sites could be ignored, same as ufos when you got to the end of the game and were waiting on the avenger. Just so long as you don't ignore too much to the point where the aliens take over, eh?

• 4 weeks later...
Perhaps advanced psi research allows you to control the bug using a psi amp? Since the psi amp doesn't take all your TUs, you could control maybe 2 or 3 bugs in battle using 1 soldier. If you didn't do it for a turn, the bugs turn on you, so you'd have to keep the psi guy very safe.

Forgive me, but isn't that how normal psi worked? :blink: With all aliens, not just 'lids?

Personally, I am opposed to having any aliens under your control, but especially chryssalids. Anyway mcing 'lids only gives you a scout in both xeno and the original, because any new 'lids you make will be under the alien's control, not yours.

Actually, there's a bug in xcom1 where you can actually make the chrysallid pick up items. What I liked doing was throwing the chrysallid a grenade, come up to a snake man at point blank. When the snakey ices the chrysallid, the grenade goes boom! haha! my own version of the cyberdisk.

• 3 weeks later...