Before I start this topic, posts, first thanks to those who have contributed to the article at the X-com Wiki-pages. :-)
The scenario Im thinking of is that mentioned below counts for the first 2/3/4 months.
I guess, but thats my thought, is that one of the best route's for max profitability is to have a workshop maxed full, 50 spaces. Probably the most profitable workshop contains 15 engineers detached to 3 projects:
- shortterm profit: the motionscanner, 4 spaces
- midterm profit: the lasercannon, 6 spaces
- longterm profit: the lasertank, 25 spaces
Such profitable workshop is preferable the 2nd workshop.
Cuz beside the profitable workshop its a necessity to also have, preferable from the start a workshop dedicated to the items u (think) need. Such workshop can be found at base 1. The projects working at could look like:
27 engineers detached to:
- the lasercannon, to arm the Icpt's (interceptors) or for midterm profit, 6 spaces, 300 hrs 1 unit
- the lasterpistol, to equip soldiers, not for sale, 2 spaces, 300 hrs 1 unit
- the laserrifle, to equip soldiers, not for sale, 3 spaces, 400 hrs 1 unit
- the heavy laser, to equip soldiers, not for sale, 4 spaces, 700 hrs 1 unit
- the motionscanner, to equip soldiers, or for shortterm profit, 4 spaces, 220 hrs 1 unit
- the medikit, to equip soldiers, not for sale, 4 spaces, 420 hrs 1 unit
For improved results make advance of the hours of a day. I mean, cash for building new basemodules can be best used at the END of the day. Even more excact is to figure out when the structure, the basemodule, will be finished of. Building a hangar, which costs 25 days to be finished of, can be best purchased at day 7, 23;00. it will be delivered at the start of the coming month May, without the maintaining costs for engineers for the current month. Building General Stores after day 21/22 in the running month. So, when u want to invest in building hangars, u can start figuring out from day 1 to 7 what the best combination of the 3 most profitable items is. Its impossible to finish to finish 2 tanks at the last day. but it IS possible to change the detachement for the items/projects 'motionscanner' and 'lasercannon'. The remainining engineers could be detached to the other projects, especially those with the most hrs to built, or to those that are most desired. My point is, there is LESS profitability overall if a single workshop isn't maxed full, which is the case with only detaching engineers to 1 project. Its possible to track how many items are built for 1 project and that can be used to determine how to allocate the engineers for all projects.
The uploaded prt-scr, with the comments, could probably illustrate a bit more what I mean.
Comments by workshop 1 at base 1:
- Iv allready built and distributed over 8 bases, 16 heavy lasers, 2 for each base. I want to built some additional (4 or so) especially for the Skyrangers. So this project don't have a high priority. Its one of the projects I can use to allocate remaining engineers for, when I want to invest, to built longterm investments, like some hangars at the end of 7 April, 23:00.
- Iv built a second workshop for base 1, which will be finished of at the start of May;
- That way Im able to continue track of the delivered units of existing projects;
- and able to allocate more engineers to at least one new project that of the lasertank at base 1;
- I had 36 engineers allocated to all the projects except of lasercannon & heavy lasers end March (*1)
- Iv figured out how many cash I need for the tactical mission 'built 7 hangars', it requires the sale of 7 heavy plasma, those 7 heavy plasma will be transformed into about 7 LC. First to invest in the units themself. At 7 april 23.00 Im able for the built of 7 hangars.
Comments by workshop 2 at base 2:
- this workshop was ready at day 1 of April. Its just in use;
- 9 engineers have just been arrived from base 1;
- all allocated to the project 'medikit' which I want to finish as soon as possible with maximum, best use of the available space;
- Iv just bought 4 new engineers. When project medikit is finished, those engineers will arive about the same time; Iv figured out, at what day and time I need to switch the engineers so arrival of the 4 new engineers will be the exact time when the medikit-project at base 2 will be finished;
- within 4 - 6 hrs after Iv hired the first 4 engineers, I hire 2 new engineers to finish of the laserpistol-project at base 2;
- when the 2 not for sale items have been finished, workshop2 is ready for use;
- then I can allocate engineers at wish to the 3 most profitable items at around day 4 of month 4, April;
- noticeable is that Iv at 2 workshops the possibility to allocate engineers to 2 of the most profitable items.
I didn't figure out so good how many engineers could have been allocated to base1, end January/Febr. 1999 This could be tested out in other games. End March I had 36 engineers at base 1, allocated to several projects and 1 remaining workshop-space left, so 49. I decided to proceed at a certain point rather, then to hire 1 more engineer at the last half of the month, OR to re-arrange the projects, in which case I would have 3 or more engineers not being able to allocate to projects, OR to restart a new game. I had overwrited with the Save/Load tool the 'point of no-return, ... ; -) .
Probably above will allready be used by most, or a lot, of players. Where they will have tested, figured out what the best results will give for their own current game. And use their own variants of whats best working for them. However maybe my insights, thoughts, post, could be used for those who want to optimize, improve the profitability of the whole operation.
All what Im doing, thinking, takes a lot of time, so much time, so I thought it feels for me better to make a topic, about this aspect of the game, then to start, add and contibute to the wikipages. Sry if thats maybe inconvenient for or to some, ....
oh, remaining thought:
With 2 workshops at 2 different bases, its more convienenant to figure out what the most suitable allocation is for adding new projects, BEFORE hiring new engineers. Cuz it takes less time to (re-)transfer some, 2-4 existing engineers, which will cost at least 6-16 or 18 hrs, not sure about 16 or 18 hrs, but considerable less hours, then to hire in new engineers, which will cost certain 72 hours. New engineers could be best hired at the start of a new month.
Edited by Gustarx, 29 July 2011 - 12:04 PM.