XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo2000 Weapon Set Upgrades

Sporb

I finally finished upgrading the UFO2000 weapon set fully. It now includes full trail graphics and some rather neat new features including new items and a multitude of tweaks and graphic fixes. Download it, Remove the old version and drop this one in instead.

Dont hesitate to post any bugs you find here. Comments and suggestions are also welcome. Edited by Sporb

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at this new set of weapons and even had plans to include it into the next beta. But looks like I did not have enough time (and beta release already slipped to Tuesday instead of Monday), and only zombie skin was added in beta 0.7.1019. Most of the problems I have when including upgraded weapon sets and maps are filename case inconsistency. Unix systems are sensitive to filename case, so if a real file has name [b]a.PNG[/b] but referred as "a.png" from lua file, it will be loaded correctly in Windows but will fail in Linux. One more inconvenience is the size of png files, they are not all optimal and there are tools that can improve compression ratio, for example [url="http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~cosmin/pngtech/optipng/"]optipng[/url]. It is better to optimize all the files that are included into the distributive in order to make life easier for dialup users and also there are plans to port the game to [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_770"]Nokia 770[/url] and it has a limited space to store data and probably other portable devices. Well, maybe it is just selfish for me to impose such limitations (I'm both a dialup user and have Nokia 770 :)), but if it can be achieved almost for free, why not reducing the size of distributive. So updating weapons needs some tweaking, testing and checking and it takes some time. As for filename case, probably we can add the code which will show a warning about incompatibility with linux when detecting such issues, but now it is just a manual work :(

Anyway, I'll try to add the weapons update in one of the next commits and will try to make something for optimizing this process.

[code]#!/bin/sh
sed -i -e "s/ufo2000/UFO2000/g" Ufo2000.lua

find ./ -name "*.PNG" | sed -e "s/\.\/UFO2000\///g" | sed -e 's/\//\\\//g' | sed -e 's/\./\\./g' | sed -e "s/^/sed -i -e 's\//g" | sed -e "s/PNG/png/g" | sed -e "s/png$/PNG\/g' Ufo2000.lua/g" | sed -e "s/\/.*G/&&/g" | sed -e "s/PNG/png/" | sh

sed -i -e 's/.png.PNG/.PNG/g' Ufo2000.lua[/code]

Run in the the new UFO2000 Weapons directory.

play nice kids

however, please post constructive criticism, 'It sukz and i just use a different one' is not constructive criticism

Whats wrong with it, what could be better, why do you dislike it? If you want it better, it needs to have criticism to make it so you like it, and other people like it

edit: Blood angel your post has been deleted, there wasn't much to save by editing so i figured why bother Edited by Blehm 98

[quote name='junglist' date='Apr 12 2006, 02:56 PM']Wow those guns suks hardcore, I am keeping the normal ones  =p
[right][post="152730"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Did i not mention that i would appreciate suggestions? if i didnt, most are smart enough to connect the dots and figure it out on their own (IE: oh, a thread with some new content! i shall post all my comments and suggestions here because this is the relevant area!).

Either post somthing extremely cunning and devious or somthing constructive and helpfull. Thoughtless and useless comments like that just make you look like a Twonk.

Now does anyone have any VALID suggestions and comments that dont follw the lines of "OMFG1O1!1!! ALL UR GUYS HARD WERK R TEH SUX 1O1!!1 1O1!!!" Edited by Sporb

Well, I haven't seen it yet, but I'll get it tonight....

I am sure it's good, you guys are great at making weapon sets... I'll find out later though ^_^

[quote name='Sporb' date='Apr 13 2006, 01:07 AM'][quote name='junglist' date='Apr 12 2006, 02:56 PM']Wow those guns suks hardcore, I am keeping the normal ones  =p
[right][post="152730"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Did i not mention that i would appreciate suggestions? if i didnt, most are smart enough to connect the dots and figure it out on their own (IE: oh, a thread with some new content! i shall post all my comments and suggestions here because this is the relevant area!).

Either post somthing extremely cunning and devious or somthing constructive and helpfull. Thoughtless and useless comments like that just make you look like a Twonk.

Now does anyone have any VALID suggestions and comments that dont follw the lines of "OMFG1O1!1!! ALL UR GUYS HARD WERK R TEH SUX 1O1!!1 1O1!!!"
[right][post="152756"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

AIght aight srry then.

Well as you can see the normal Beta version is much more better. Why? Because it includes lots of weapons from human to alien race. I like to choose from the weapons and make up great team. B)

[quote name='junglist' date='Apr 13 2006, 11:29 PM']Well as you can see the normal Beta version is much more better. Why? Because it includes lots of weapons from human to alien race.[/quote]
Well, normal beta version does not have any wepons but 'ufo2000' and 'galactic'. Only after installing x-com data files you have access to the good old x-com weapons. Conclusions - not everyone will have x-com available so we need to improve our own weapon set. And saying 'x-com weapons are way better so stick with them and don't bother doing anything else' doesn't look constructive to me. Please explain why x-com weapons are better in your opinion.

[quote]I like to choose from the weapons  and make up great team. B)[/quote]
Doesn't 'ufo2000 weapons' set provide lots of weapons variety too? Edited by Serge

[quote]I like to choose from the weapons and make up great team. B)
[/quote]
Doesn't 'ufo2000 weapons' set provide lots of weapons variety too?
[right][post="152829"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

Ya Ufo 2000 Beta got lotsa weapons, thats crazy and amazing so ppl can choose from lots of kinds of weapons.

Hello guys :)

It's been a while since my last post.

Sporb, GREAT WORK MAN!!!! =b

As a sugestion i would say that the "PG DOWN FOR HUMAN SHEET" letters are very bright, and it would be nice if they could be a little bit more dark to fit with the rest of the screen layout.

About this new feature that allows more space to the weapons inventory, very good indeed. Many thanks to the developers who made this possible.

Keep the good work guys

Congratulations Sporb, it's a really nice weapons set and must've taken a lot of work :) I especially love the chainsaw, and the grenade launcher will be even more awesome once it actually lobs grenades.

After using them for a few rounds, I decided I still prefer the Modified X-com set, and here's why. Every gun is that set is very distinct in both color and shape at a glance, so there's no mistaking a plasma rifle for a heavy plasma.

In constrast, all your plasma weapons have a very similar style, making me squint to tell whether I'm equipping a Plasma Blaster or a Plasma Gun. It's the same way with the Pulse Cannon and Exnothene Flamethrower; they look quite similar down to the red dot around the trigger.

Well, that's just my two cents. I'd like to see more distinct weapons, but it's an excellent set regardless. Thanks again for all your work on this :)

I think it's not so necessary, but:
when zipping a folder with some images just check that there's no hidden files. Windows 2000/XP creates hidden database files 'Thumbs.db' in image's folder by default. You can switch off this feature in folder's properties. There was about 300 kb of this useless information in your archive ;) Edited by SleepyWu

Duly noted

@Kiv: my reasoning behind the similar styling of the weapons was because designs for similar technologies mostly end up similar. Ive always wondered why the plasma weapons in XcomUFO were all completely different when they were essentially based on the same concept. To this end i decided to make my guns slightly more realistic in the sense that they follow similar mechanical traits. If you would like to insert custom colours, thats fiarly easy wth a program that can shift the pallette, so long as the names dont change the new images should work fine. Edited by Sporb

[quote name='Blehm 98' date='Apr 16 2006, 10:46 PM']please do not post anymore worthless posts, we all like to keep these forums free and clean of spam, so do not do that anymore :)
[right][post="152872"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Worthless? nawh I would say I am prooving my point =b

question: what is your point exactly? state it clearly and provide an explanation. It doesnt need to be concise but it would pay to think the comment through thouroughly.

because so far all you have proved is that you dont think before posting. Edited by Sporb

Committed a fix that enforces case sensitivity even in windows, so if a weapon set is tested and works in windows - it should work everywhere.

Now working on adding support for custom sound effects for weapons (currently the game is mute without data files from x-com, background music does not count).

Ive compressed the weaponset using a png compression program.

EDIT: forgot to remove the hidden files. Now fixed. Edited by Sporb

• 2 months later...

I put the ufo2000 weaponset through this spreadsheet i made for crunching xcom weapon stats. It has some useful values such as max damage potential in a turn, dmg output over cost of weapon and ammo and things like that.

Also, the XAS shotgun has an anomaly where you may be able to fire 3 or 4 snap shots depending on the amount of TUs the soldier is given. Click link below to download.

http://th15.dark-halo.com/UFO2000Stats.xls

• 1 month later...

I see that I'm posting very late in this thread, and have noted this set's inclusion in the latest 1062 Beta, so I see whatever hassels there may have been have been largely worked out...

I like the set over all but have a couple suggestions if it's not too late- for your consideration.

Mainly concerning the Heavy Laser, and Laser Sniper Rifle.

ummm...They are too heavy for the damage they can deal, and too expensive for me not to just use the better damage dealing Plasma weapons. I tried using a couple units equipped with these two weapons and if the enemy has health cranked up past 60, it takes 3 or more shots to drop someone who's well armored. While Plasma rarely takes more than 3- if ever.

Now I notice it's only a difference of 10 points of damage, and I know lasers don't require ammo, so for balance I see that making them heavier might appear to be the only option but it just doesn't seem worth it to me equip these weapons. Perhaps less TUs to fire would make them more equitable?

Ah well...even if you don't change it, it's nothing that can't be lived with, just offering this as..."constructive critisism".

I do appreciate your work, and everyone else's involved in this project.

Edited by Longshot

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is! the newest encarnation of the weapon set. Ive tweaked the problematic projectile explosives and removed some junk

Please test it and tell me if the changes have fixed the ballance issues some people were having with the projectile explosives.

Edited by Sporb

remove the older weapon set or put it aside, unrar the archive and drag it into extensions. if that doesnt work you probably have one folder level too many and should pull the contents down a folder

always remove the old weaponset from ufo2k or youll get problems with them both

Edited by Sporb

Thanks for the update Sporb.

umm.... I can't seem to get mine to work.

It currently resides at C:\.....\ufo2000beta\extensions\ufo2000

and I made sure that the .lua file is in there to(my archiver had put in the ufo2000 beta root folder).

I missed something right?

Edited by MosFet777

Nope, that didn't work either.

I tried weapons_ufo2000, weapons_ufo2000_fixed, and weapons_ufo2000fixed

The path in the lua file is just ufo2000( ufo2000\extensions\ufo2000) which I tried first.

Can I assume that they are working for you?

umm... I didn't mean that the way it sounded.

Edited by MosFet777

my folder structure is as follows:

extensions\weapons-ufo2000-fixed\(Lua in here with another folder called ufo2000 wit the the graphics folders inside)

remember that case is now important but the '-fixed' bit shouldnt matter

Edited by Sporb

Hmmm. It seems there are some problems getting the thing to work. So ive uploaded another version along with a few bugs fixes i noticed the other day. It also includes the weapon that was broken in the last release.

To use:

remove the old version\s (all 'ufo2000 weapon set' weapon set releases)

unpack this one so its file structure looks like: extensions\weapons-ufo2000\ufo2000 (make sure the archive does not add another level to the file structure when you unpack it. If it does, move the contents of the archive down one level)

place the newely unpacked weapons into the extensions folder

Make sure you have the 'Human' and 'Alien' sheets when you start the game.

You should make sure you have both the 'Alien sheet' and the 'Human sheet's. If you can find and locate both of them once youve installed it, all the weapons are fine and the set is good to go. If you are missing one of the sheets then some weapons might not show.

There are several sets, the top two being the most important:

ufo2k set: Human sheet (1/2)

ufo2k set: Alien sheet (2/2)

ufo2k set: ONLY human weapons

ufo2k set: ONLY Alien weapons

ufo2k Classic set

ufo2k Classic set: military issue

The ufo2k Classic sets include only weapons that appeared in previous versions of the weapon set.

'ufo2k set: human sheet' and 'ufo2k set: Alien sheet ' are the only sets that allow any weapon to be used with the weapons from the other sheet.

Edited by Sporb

sorry about that guys! i forgot to add it to the alien sheet!

just DL this LUA ive attatched and overwrite the original one with it. Sorry about that - i didnt notice it.

Edited by Sporb

Mistake - "AR66 assault rifle & underslung". If it is rifle with an underbarrel grenade launcher (underslung) it must have the ability to fire both bullets and grenade without reloading of rifle's clip. In fact, that weapon can't do it, it's fire modes can be changed only with reloading. It operates like so-called "rifle grenade launcher" which is ordinary rifle with special grenade (attached to the muzzle) which block the normal firing mode. It would be more correct to rename the rifle to "AR66 assault rifle" and grenades to "20mm rifle grenade" and "20mm rifle CS gas grenade". And maybe AR55 can fire that grenades too?

Question - where to find the Disposable RPG damage? I tried it in battle, it delivered from 60 up to 66 points of damage, but the exact number will be appreciated.

In spite of mistake described above I like this weapon set, because it add more tactic possibilities with new fire modes introduced (flame thrower, rifle grenades and overcharged cells). I also like the paticular Plasma Sword and therefore the idea of organizing techno-Ninja style team. =b

Good job!

@ Fomka: Glad you took an interest in the set. As it stands the AR66 might as well act like a rifle grenade launcher. It was intended however, to act like an M203. Since alternate fire modes are not supported by the game yet, it will have to act as it does until such a time as the option is avaliable.

As for finding the Disposable RPGs damage, you can have a look in the weapon LUA (inside Extensions/ Weaponset-ufo2000) for all weapons exact parameters. This particular weapon has a base damage of 70 with a possible 25% deviation in damage per shot. Placing the ammunition item into the weapon sheet would allow players to reload the item which is contrary to its purpose.

Im glad to hear the the latest changes are to the liking of (at least the few who bother to comment) players liking

Edited by Sporb

Nah, it's a cool set Sporb. I haven't been able to play as much because class is back in for me. I get to play quite a bit around breaks but then I have to back off so I can get through classes.

Anyway, Yeah I like it I taught one of my cousins to play on it while he was in town this weekend. He thought it was a pretty good game.

Well done! Keep up the good work!