XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Intro V2.1

Maverick

SCENE 1

"No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss them as impossible or improbable...

"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as our minds are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this world with envoius eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us...

-H. G. Wells (War of the Worlds)

SCENE 2

[fade in desert landscape]

{computer text, green font, bleeping, letter by letter}
New Mexico, 1947

[dust stirs in front, plane heard, pan 180 degrees to catch a plane and something else fly overhead, flip 180 degrees back to watch the unknown craft explode and crash, dust stirs again -- fade to grayscale]

In 1947, outside of Roswell, New Mexico the U.S. Airforce claims to have recovered the remains of a "flying disk" rumored to contain the bodies of three alien beings.

Hours later the statement is retracted; the debris is collected by the airfoce and revealed as a failed weather balloon experiment. All knowledge of alien existence is denied.

SCENE 3

[cycle fade sightings pictures, crop circles; fade text]

Over the next 50 years, sightings of UFO's and other phenomena increases drastically, reaching a peak at the end of the 20th century.

No hard proof of alien existence is ever collected.

People around the globe continue to experience inexplicable phenomena ranging from cattle mutilations to human abductions.

Most claims are dismissed as delusions or elaborate hoaxes, mainly because the media refuses to support any such claim.

SCENE 4

[fade to picture of british flag]

Unbenounced to the public, the British government begins tracking and documenting such cases.

Within months a shocking discovery is made, most of the reports are real.

[fade to space picture...pan the picture around while text moves]

Several prominant governments begin attempting to secretly contact the UFO's and when communications fail -- to engage them. No records indicate any government succeeding in anything more than a complex game of cat and mouse with an opponent who obviously had vastly superior technology.

Each government's worst fears were realized when their intelligence agencies confirmed that the objects were not the product of any competing country.

SCENE 5

[fade to plane crash]

Finally on October 22, 2002, a top secret United States plane on a test flight loses radio contact. It is immediately assumed that he lost control of the airplane and went down.

A squad is sent to secure the area and check for survivors; they land at the crash site just before dusk. Radio transmissions are proceeding normally until they suddenly become broken. The official transcript reads:

[fade in sentence by sentence over black background]
"We are approaching the crash site from the south-east"

"no sign of survivors -- what the F*&( the plane looks like it was melted..."

"Wait, something's moving... [static]"

"...My God! It's a little... [static] ...not human... [static]"

"...they are... [static] ...I repeat, they are hostile."

[fade out all but "they are hostile" which fades a few seconds later]

Communication with the team was lost entirely a few moments later, and was never recovered. A much larger team was sent out to form a perimeter around the crash site for the night and investigate in the morning.

The investigation proves the most troublesome: no bodies are found, and any equipment found is melted almost beyond recognition.

SCENE 6

Word spread quickly through government circles, "They are hostile." A meeting was set between the nations of the world to determine a course of action.

Historically, the combination of competing militaries has required either one conqueroring the other, or the emergence of a new, more powerful threat.

The nations that attended the global summit unanimously agreed that steps must be taken to stop the unknown threat. Resolution 001 of the global summit mandated the formation of a multination organization with a single goal: Xenocide -- the extermination of any and all extra-terrestrial threat.

The only safeguard the nations had to control the organization was the ability to adjust funding based on perceived performance.

In the early days of the 21st century Fate had delivered an opportunity for all humanity to stand as one...

A new, more powerful threat has arrived...

--Welcome to your first day on the job commander; you are the Earth's last hope--

[send in a flying disk that turns sideways and the X in Xenocide appears over it...]

END INTRO

OK, I know it has a lot of talking in it, and a lot of it can end up narrated. I also have some pretty ambitious animations in there, but most of this can be done with very little animation. It is more text effects kinda like the ones you've already seen. Let me know what you think.

I'm still kinda editing it, to make it more believable, but I'm also trying to get a visual example up as soon as possible. X-pect that before the end of the weekend.

Guest stewart
When they did the first XCOM, 1999 was the very near future, so as far as we knew maybe we could have hand held laser rifles and so in that year.

Do a check on internet, it's either the Maya or Aztec calendars say that the end of the world is supposed to happen, I think, 2012 Dec. 25, (The game Shadowrun makes use of this date for example). which is the very near future. You can throw a reference to the end of the world, and long predicted, in some way tieing in with the idea that aliens were here thousands of years ago, etc. The visual can show some cool MesoAmerican petroglyphs and temples and stuff like that.

Naturally I'm thrilled you stuck the H.G. Wells thing in, and if it must be shortened, I think what you choose to leave is fine.

Not that I have anything against swearing, but only a pilot in a movie would say what the fvck, real armed forces pilots are trained to be calm even when they know THEY'RE fvcked.

The text of scene 6 has problems. As it is used Xenocide seems out-of-place.

Instead of using "Resolution 001 of the global summit" it might sound more "official" if you say something like:

"Resolution UNSC-13-2012-7 of the UN Security Council secret sub-committee"

I agree with Lord T about the commander thing too.

But

good first draft though, and I don't think it's to long; it's an intro for Xpists sake it can be an hour for all I care, as long as it's good!

The pilot doesn't swear...there is no text of his radio communications, its a ground forces unit (probably marines). They definately swear, my brother is in the army and his mouth is so foul I can't believe he kisses my mother with those lips. He also has a profound liking for :uzzi: everything in sight in training missions...

I figured that Xenocide needed a meaning, and I haven't discovered one on the forum....since Genocide is extermination of people, i thought Xenocide would make sense as the extermination of aliens (plus it gives the title new meaning)

Date thing, this is going to take a little bit of creative temperence. I think I've already mentioned a lot of changes that are going on in the US military over the next 10 years but a short list would include tactical radios for everyone on the team, much more advanced weapons, better armor, and the like. If you want to phase out the m-16 as the starting weapon we can definately do it (and while we're at it make the starting plane an f-22 or SU-31 [i think that's the new one]) it can be done. Personally I like the idea of making it a few years in the future, I just don't want to hit anything that makes it not plausible...which is where the creativity countered with temperence comes in.

I also came up with a plausable solution to the elerium problem discussed in the tech tree, but I'll save that for later.

Let me put the whole intro together, and I'm probably leaving flash 5 in the very near future altogether. So expect a much more professional looking version to come out when you see the first draft of this visually.

The word Xen or Xeno is actually a derivative for the latin word for "foreigner" or "stranger", however due to popular cult films (the alien films stand to mind... "xeno"morph) xeno is more frequently used to refer to aliens...

Techically Xenocide refers to the act of killing an entire race or species (yeah, I know, virtually the same thing as genocide)...

Guest stewart
Okay, if it's a marine, then I suppose it makes sense.

As for terrestial equipment, if there is a motion detector like the one we're used too in the game then I'd say don't worry about it. Realistically, such a detector would really detect gravity waves, and the last I heard was that for our technology to detect gravity waves would require a dish from here more-or-less to the center of the galaxy.

The tactical radios idea works well with this. Afterall in the game one guy at one end of the screen can sight an alien whilst some crouching guy blocks away who can't even see what he's shooting at can nail the lil grey dude.

Xenocide was chosen because it means killing extraterrestrials. In the context of a committee resolution a name for such an organization sounds better if it's something like XCOM rather than Xenocide. Unfortunately the Galoob brothers beat us to it by a full ten years. So in the text it would be good if we came up with such a name.

Instead of the e[color="red"]x[/color]traterrestrial [color="red"]com[/color]bat unit, we can change it. Realistically, you've got 8 base and maybe 10 aircraft you are not a "Unit" per se. The organization could be called, say the e[color="red"]x[/color]traterrestrial defense [color="red"]corps[/color] or the [color="red"]M[/color]ultinational [color="red"]I[/color]nterdiction [color="red"]B[/color]ureua

We can tie in with your commander thing at the end with something like . . .

SCENE 7

(Black Screen)
Voice: Lights, please. leutenant.
(A briefing room with Armed Forces officers from many nation comes into view)
Voice: THAT commander is what this is all about. I hope you're as good as they say you are. Welcome to Project Xenocide.

Fin

Note: we have motion detectors, but they actually measure seismic (sp??) activity. IE a tank drives by making a lot of noise and shaking the ground...and this little device targets it and flings a bomb at it. Its a neat little bugger that makes for an intelligent land-mine. Best part is that they all have tracking devices in them so after the battle you can go pick them up.

so a combination of sensors (if you read the ufopedia article on the device it says that's what it uses) can actually detect motion. (sonar, radar, laser rangefinder, infrared, seismograph, auditory, etc...)

We really should try and come up with a good name for the organization...

[quote name='Pringle' date='Jan 16 2003, 07:31 PM']The word Xen or Xeno is actually a derivative for the latin word for "foreigner" or "stranger", however due to popular cult films (the alien films stand to mind... "xeno"morph) xeno is more frequently used to refer to aliens...

Techically Xenocide refers to the act of killing an entire race or species (yeah, I know, virtually the same thing as genocide)...[/quote]

Genocide is the purposeful systematic extermination of a 'group' of people, whereas xenocide is the purposeful systematic extermination of an entire species (i.e. humans, whales, sectoids) The use of the title for the project was derived from "Xenocide," the third book in the Ender's Game quartet by Orson Scott Card. In the book, the humans struggled with whether or not to destroy an entire species of aliens because thee believed the aliens posed an enourmous threat to humanity's continued existence.

The script is getting better. It would be nice if we could get the man who narrated Homeworld to do this game, too.

What about between Scene 1 and 2 you show a scene of peaceful sectoids somewhere in the galaxy living on their water world. Then cut into an invasion force entering the planets atmosphere and then enslaving the sectoids. A scene of a sectoid on an operating table being genetically modified. Perhaps there can be a part where the pupil of the sectoid eye changes to become large and black. I :) just remeber reading in the ufopedia that sectoids have their sexual organs removed so they are more of a slave race. Then later on you can have that same invasion force showing up at earth. Oh yeah :) could also be a scene where the sectoid's planet gets turned into an oceanless wasteland with the fleet leaving the planet.

Nice idea, gangsta, but I think we'll have to wait until someone finishes the final background story, since we don't really have a convention who enslaved who yet, and what arrangements are like between the alien races. (who's doing that, exactly? :huh?: )

In the original x-com (the continuing storyline) not all Sectoids are slaves, but the greater majority of them are. All of the aliens in x-com (one) are slaves to the brain creature in the end. Somehow it exerts psionic control over a vast distance. The genetic and physical modifications made to all of the aliens are to make them more functional as soldiers. Sectoids have implants in their eyes, floaters have all their organs removed, crysalids only attack people, mutons have armor graphted to their skin...etc. Sectoids are not actually from a water planet, although their planet would have water on it. They are the land version of aquatoids.

Gangsta, that intro scene might be pretty cool, it would just be very hard to do, and it would have to be clear that it was only representative of a very long time ago. The idea is that we've been watched, and studied (maybe even cultivated?) by aliens, who have now decided that it is time to eat us (??) use our DNA (??) or maybe just catch a movie with some of our fine earth women on Saturday nights (??). The problem I'd have is that then I might almost feel sorry for them and I'd have to go through the whole game using only stun weaponry so that I wouldn't hurt any of the aliens who are really nothing but slaves...

Guest stewart
We can change the name of the game to Xenotickle.

If any one here is familiar with the Marathon-Durandal-etc game series they covers this issue. At the very start there are many alien races attacking you and you giddily blast them all. You later find out that one of the races (the Pfor, I believe) is actually enslaving the other (I forget their name but gosh they look a lot like floaters). In the second game of the series you actually go to the "Floaters" homeworld and help them out. In the story they are so impressed that the combined Terran and "Floater" fleets go smash the Pfor etc.

It can work

Alas, if we were to break from the Xcom storyline it could work, because when the UGS Patton enters Mars orbit (I wanna say 2062) a massive explosion occurrs on the surface when they use their science equipment (sensors, etc). No sign of the patton is ever found. Years later a high speed probe sent about 100,000 light years from earth finds a Patton class Ion trail left by a Mark III drive system. As it follows the path it finds evidence of a large battle that has been taking place. Shortly thereafter an unknown ship destroys the probe.

If anyone is familiar with the storyline of X-Com: Alliance (which was supposed to be released before Enforcer...enforcer being the game that almost made me vomit because it disrespected the X-Com title that much) that's pretty much what happens. The Patton ends up really far away and they meet the Ascidians, a new alien race that is fighting another alien race (it was either sectoids or ethereals)...but as the game progresses they begin to doubt if they are on the right side or not...it was a great plot -- too bad the game was never released.

But yeah, I don't think we have the technology to go help them (or the resources after a war like this) especially since trans-light travel isn't reached in the x-com storyline until 2054 (about 15 years after TFTD) and that's only the Mark I drive.....

I still like thinking of the little grey guys as the bad guys that want to extract my DNA and date my sister. That way the tension stays high and I get that "you flinch in battle you're dead" feel...

Though it might make for a good sequel provided the team was interested, and would lend ourselves to being devoid of all copyright worries, as X-com has never developed towards "liberating" any alien race.

Maverick, if you could give me a guestimate on how long each scene will be, that would help me for the soundtrack...

I like this intro better than the other one so I'm going to do the music for this one... unless any1 had another idea?

[quote name='Maverick' date='Jan 17 2003, 08:09 AM']In the original x-com (the continuing storyline) not all Sectoids are slaves, but the greater majority of them are.  All of the aliens in x-com (one) are slaves to the brain creature in the end.  Somehow it exerts psionic control over a vast distance.  The genetic and physical modifications made to all of the aliens are to make them more functional as soldiers.  Sectoids have implants in their eyes, floaters have all their organs removed, crysalids only attack people, mutons have armor graphted to their skin...etc.  Sectoids are not actually from a water planet, although their planet would have water on it.  They are the land version of aquatoids.

Gangsta, that intro scene might be pretty cool, it would just be very hard to do, and it would have to be clear that it was only representative of a very long time ago.  The idea is that we've been watched, and studied (maybe even cultivated?) by aliens, who have now decided that it is time to eat us (??) use our DNA (??) or maybe just catch a movie with some of our fine earth women on Saturday nights (??).  The problem I'd have is that then I might almost feel sorry for them and I'd have to go through the whole game using only stun weaponry so that I wouldn't hurt any of the aliens who are really nothing but slaves...[/quote]
well you could just display the Year it happens in at the bottom right for a few seconds. fact you can do that for all the scenes..

Guest stewart
[quote name='Xcen' date='Jan 17 2003, 02:58 PM']Maverick, if you could give me a guestimate on how long each scene will be, that would help me for the soundtrack...

I like this intro better than the other one so I'm going to do the music for this one... unless any1 had another idea?[/quote]
Xcen please check the "A Preliminary Inrto" thread and see what you think of some of the music ideas discussed recently in their. What's your music background?

Guest stewart
Maverick do a Google search with terms "Holst Mars", you'll find an mp3 or midi that you could probably throw in for now until the "official" tune is thunked up.

Don't worry Gustav Holst has been dead almost 100 years, I'm sure the tune is public domain by now.

here's my 10 cents (coz my 2 cents are free :D ...aint i a lamer) to the intro draft:

[Scene 1]
picture fades into a view of desert (e.g. Sahara for all i care) at low angle with wind blowing and casting up sand (like a lil' sandstorm). at the bottom of the screen text emerges letter by letter like typed in font that i used in the panel screen (e.g. "somewhere in sahara desert").after a few seconds far in the background something weird flyes by (so small that u cant tell what it was). just a second or so later something flyes by the screen very fast and close though only a shadow can be seen. after that camera shows a landed alien craft (not the smallest one but one of the small ones that has maybe 3-5 aliens aboard) with the door opening up (maybe bright light coming out of the doorway) and the first alien shadow appearing from the craft.

[Scene 2]
picture quickly changes to a radar screen that is just about to detect the landed ufo. as soon as it discoverd picture moves speedily to another computer screen showing that some checks are being done (like checking if there are any terrestrial crafts at that location e.g.) and the last line should be something like "unknown craft detected...". as soon as the last line appears the alarms should go off with red blinking lights (like in submarines).

[Scene 3]
a corridor camera (in top corner with some static) showing xenocide agents in suits running towards the camera (actually to the other end of the corridor). then the picture swiftly changes to a weapon shelf with laser rifels eg while agents run by it each grabbing a rifle after a few shots the picture moves to the hangar where a transport plane is waiting with the back door open and agents running in. then a few more shots of agents fasten their seatbelts (i dont think they should stand while being transported ... comoon its dangerous) and pilot pressing some buttons to take off after what picture zooms out of the hangar while the plane takes of while closing it back door (not closing its back door and then taking off).

[Scene 4]
ufo landing site pops up again with lil' harmless sectoids doing field research :D. suddenly they start to rise their heads one by one making sinister faces and talking to each other in weird language. after a few seconds the transporter appears from the skys. sectoids are standing still while the transporter land with its back door turned to the alien craft (though the door is still closed). when it lands its door starts to open ... sectoid are still stunned ... not knowing what is going on :D. all of the sudden laser beams come out of the back of the transporter with agents jumping/running out. this first wave kills instantly liek 2-3 sectoids (should be close-up kills) ... but remember sectoid do not have their weapons with 'em so they flee to their ship agents right behind 'em. one will be killed with a head shot just before it reaces the craft door and only one will reach the craft. then some plasma shots are fired out of the alien craft (maybe injuring one agent or even killing the agent). camera moves to the side of the alien craft door while the last sectoid is stepping out with its heavy plasma gun. after firing a few mo shots it turns its head to the camera while its face turn into a mo sinister one :D

[Scene 5]
picture zooms into the sectoid sinister eyes while the the top and bottom of the camera shrink and background fades out. finally the xenocide text appears but i havent thought of a great appearing effect for the text.

hope it doesnt sound too crappy :)

Honestly, I don't think it agrees with the atmosphere that I'm trying to get out of it all. (bad aliens, scary environment, fear of the unknown....) There is nothing wrong with the story you set up, i just don't think it follows the atmosphere. (plus it would definately be cool to see some aliens get their heads blasted and rocked by lasers....)

[quote name='Maverick' date='Jan 19 2003, 06:09 PM']Honestly, I don't think it agrees with the atmosphere that I'm trying to get out of it all.  (bad aliens, scary environment, fear of the unknown....)  There is nothing wrong with the story you set up, i just don't think it follows the atmosphere.  (plus it would definately be cool to see some aliens get their heads blasted and rocked by lasers....)[/quote]
Maybe not for an intro, but its cool as a advertisement movie... keep that script safe in your computer, we could use it later...

Greetings
Red Knight

Guest stewart
[quote name='Maverick' date='Jan 19 2003, 05:09 PM']Honestly, I don't think it agrees with the atmosphere that I'm trying to get out of it all.  (bad aliens, scary environment, fear of the unknown....)  There is nothing wrong with the story you set up, i just don't think it follows the atmosphere.  (plus it would definately be cool to see some aliens get their heads blasted and rocked by lasers....)[/quote]
Did you ever see the intro movie for Dark Colony. The soldier clutches a Sectoid by the neck then shoots him in the head which more or less blows up.

Blowd up reeeealy good!!

Guest stewart
[quote name='Maverick' date='Jan 16 2003, 09:55 PM']We really should try and come up with a good name for the organization...[/quote]
Well I came up with two:
e[X]traterrestrial combat [CORPS]
and
[M]ultinational [I]nterdiction [B]ureau

let's hear yours!

That's actually what I spent today trying to do. I don't really have anything so far, but I tried to describe the mission before I named the group X-Com means "to prevent destruction by non-earthly means" So i'm trying to devise something similar that I can draw a title from.

Another interesting thought is that Xenocide could be used different that at least I had thought before...We said Xenocide is the purposeful and systematic extermination of an entire race of aliens....what if we are the aliens (we are to them...) and we are trying to protect ourselves from Xenocide....

Guest stewart
It's an obscure word, I believed derived from the Latinate (I hope I get this right), "Defense". :P

Did you dig that mp3 I told you about:

The composer is Gustav (or Gustaf) Holst.
The symphony is called The Planets.
The movement is movement #1 "Mars: Bringer of War".

It's a clumsy march in 5/4 time, but it's very powerful. In fact John Williams ripped off a lot stuff out of this symphony (okay ripped off is too strong but lets say is obviously inspired by this symphony) for the music in Star Wars.

[quote name='red knight' date='Jan 20 2003, 02:07 AM'][quote name='Maverick' date='Jan 19 2003, 06:09 PM']Honestly, I don't think it agrees with the atmosphere that I'm trying to get out of it all.  (bad aliens, scary environment, fear of the unknown....)  There is nothing wrong with the story you set up, i just don't think it follows the atmosphere.  (plus it would definately be cool to see some aliens get their heads blasted and rocked by lasers....)[/quote]
Maybe not for an intro, but its cool as a advertisement movie... keep that script safe in your computer, we could use it later...

Greetings
Red Knight[/quote]
how about i keep it safe right here on this forum? :D

[quote name='Stewart' date='Jan 20 2003, 05:40 AM']Did you ever see the intro movie for Dark Colony.  The soldier clutches a Sectoid by the neck then shoots him in the head which more or less blows up.

Blowd up reeeealy good!![/quote]
yeah that kicked donkey imo too. reaally awesome!!! and the infantry man was if i remember correctly screaming into the alien scums face something like "u flibberty gibbeting bastard!!!" .... well u get the drift :D

[quote name='Fatal_Error' date='Jan 20 2003, 03:34 AM'][quote name='red knight' date='Jan 20 2003, 02:07 AM'][quote name='Maverick' date='Jan 19 2003, 06:09 PM']Honestly, I don't think it agrees with the atmosphere that I'm trying to get out of it all.  (bad aliens, scary environment, fear of the unknown....)  There is nothing wrong with the story you set up, i just don't think it follows the atmosphere.  (plus it would definately be cool to see some aliens get their heads blasted and rocked by lasers....)[/quote]

Greetings
Red Knight[/quote]
how about i keep it safe right here on this forum? :D[/quote]
Its better to have multiple copys, just in case... nobody knows.... :P

Greetings
Red Knight

Stewart, that music definately sounds star wars (i have that reversed...star wars RIPPED THAT OFF) but I like it....I'll see what I can do with it for another "preliminary" intro... I've had a crapload of chemistry to do this weeked so expect a delayed intro (hahaha, i sound like a real video game developer..."uh we've had problems so we're gonna delay such and such's release..." hahaha) I'll put one up as soon as I can. I'm also trying to get a copy of 3d studio max, so I can leave flash, it's great for animating 2d text, but that's about it, the moving animations I've done with it so far look so terrible I'm not gonna even post them... So it could be quite a while until I have a professional looking intro to present. Expect anything I post to look completely amateur but to give you the idea of what the scenes will look like (imagine them as being the story-board comic book style).

I really like the music by the way. Its great. I got all the planets too...

just a few questions to maverick coz as i understand u r in charge of making the intro or at least it seems so :):
1) do u have a clear vision of what it should look like and what everybody agree with
2) r u using 3d modeld and 3d animation in the intro

1) yes

2) not currently, but I plan on it

I'm working on a lot of things with the intro right now, but this is the first week of mid-terms this quarter so as I said, there will be a bit of a delay on all plans. When I do put something out, as I said, take note that it is only to give you a taste of what it will be. I've just gotten 3d studio and it will take a while for me to learn the in's and out's. When that comes out it will be grey blobs running around until I learn to texture....this is going to be a process. I found the email addy and home phone of the guy who did 3d modelling for Xcom: Genesis (before it got scrapped) and I'm gonna try and contact him for some inside info (tips for texturing etc).

As far as what everyone will agree with, I think that if it looks awesome and it covers what's been said so far in the thread there should be no problems...I have to finalize the script and so forth, but this intro movie is not going to be finalized for some time...so a little patience is in order (remember I'm learning a whole new program to make it look professional)

[quote name='Maverick' date='Jan 20 2003, 01:13 PM']1) yes

2) not currently, but I plan on it

I'm working on a lot of things with the intro right now, but this is the first week of mid-terms this quarter so as I said, there will be a bit of a delay on all plans.  When I do put something out, as I said, take note that it is only to give you a taste of what it will be.  I've just gotten 3d studio and it will take a while for me to learn the in's and out's.  When that comes out it will be grey blobs running around until I learn to texture....this is going to be a process.  I found the email addy and home phone of the guy who did 3d modelling for Xcom: Genesis (before it got scrapped) and I'm gonna try and contact him for some inside info (tips for texturing etc).

As far as what everyone will agree with, I think that if it looks awesome and it covers what's been said so far in the thread there should be no problems...I have to finalize the script and so forth, but this intro movie is not going to be finalized for some time...so a little patience is in order (remember I'm learning a whole new program to make it look professional)[/quote]
maybe we can do it a bit differently. u send me the script and ill make the scetches for animations and send em back to u to evaluate and we could send the sketches to the guy who made the sectoid head. remember that sectoid head was made about 2 years ago and he said that his got better tools now.

just a suggestion so dont kill me ... ok maybe just a bit then if u insist :P

ok ive got sum mo good ... no no excellent news :D. thank to maverick ive now got eyecandy 4000 FOR FIREWORKS!!! kicks donkey!!!

and as much as i have tested and studied it i may say that i can do pretty much anything (except total 3d ofcooz) that is needed ... yes even the xenocide text bleeding in :D :D :D <-- thats how happy i am now

thx mav

[quote name='Maverick' date='Jan 20 2003, 04:35 AM']Stewart, that music definately sounds star wars (i have that reversed...star wars RIPPED THAT OFF) but I like it....I'll see what I can do with it for another "preliminary" intro...  I've had a crapload of chemistry to do this weeked so expect a delayed intro (hahaha, i sound like a real video game developer..."uh we've had problems so we're gonna delay such and such's release..." hahaha)  I'll put one up as soon as I can.  I'm also trying to get a copy of 3d studio max, so I can leave flash, it's great for animating 2d text, but that's about it, the moving animations I've done with it so far look so terrible I'm not gonna even post them...  So it could be quite a while until I have a professional looking intro to present.  Expect anything I post to look completely amateur but to give you the idea of what the scenes will look like (imagine them as being the story-board comic book style).

I really like the music by the way.  Its great.  I got all the planets too...[/quote]
You can try Blender, its open source and i had heard a lot of good comments on it (didnt try it myself). www.blender.org

Greetings
Red Knight

Guest stewart
Gangsta: I'd like to uncensor that word but Micah set it up initially so talk to him. . .

RN: is blender a graphics or sound editing program?

Maveric: If the intro starts out all peaceful like and moves towards war. It might be interesting to start with the Venus movement and then blend into the Mars one. Do we have anyone here who does DJing and mixing of trax.

By the way in the middle of the Jupiter movement is a fantastic tune. Which might be good with scenes showing the X-CORPS troops all lined up at assembly in their dress uniforms or something like that (maybe in the "Congratualations, you have successfully completed the Xencide Project, movie").

[quote name='Stewart' date='Jan 20 2003, 01:00 PM']RN: is blender a graphics or sound editing program?[/quote]
Blender is 3D modelling and rendering package, excelent to create 3D models and animation. Its like a 3D Studio Max free alternative, and as far as programming is concerned its open source so if you need to add some tool to it, like model exporters or develop effects for a movie and the like you can do it without to much problems (after you understand how it works of course, i bet it is as easy to use as the Max SDK)...

Greetings
Red Knight

Cool Edit pro 2000 can be downloaded with a free 30 day trial (i have the whole thing and can do the track editing with fades etc) Like I said though Stew, I have no problem working on this, if you want to make a storyboard of the intro so far and send it my way I'll take a look at it as soon as I have time, right now I need to get on with my Chemistry stuff, so the intro has been pushed back. As to the 3d program, all of my contacts are using 3d Max, plus I have access to books for that; I think I'm gonna stick to it, but thanks, I'll write down that webpage and probably check that out anyway just to see what it's like.

I know my way around CEP2 and have some experience in sound design so I guess I could help with this...

BTW you guys have check my draft for the first part of the intro? :P

[quote name='Stewart' date='Jan 20 2003, 03:05 PM']Can you or anyone else recommend a similar paclage for sound/music editing?[/quote]
That is not my area, but a guy i know that do radio jingles and stuff use Sound Forge or something like that... About music i dont know because i had saw him using Sound Forge as a wave manipulation program, dont know if it support another stuff..

Greetings
Red Knight

Guest stewart
Still if it's free then it's anouther tool available. IT would nice if our music guys had as many tools as they can get. Since I can analyse, break down sound/music just as easily as an image, when I start working with our sound/music guys it will be nice if they will be able to produce what I or anyone else may suggest.

Then I'll break down the tools I use.

-Psycle: Modular Tracker-Style Sequencer with VST Capacibility (Makes music)

-Goldwave: Good old wave editor

-Cool Edit Pro 2: Loop Based multitrack sequencer + great wave editor

-Audiomulch: DSP tool with VST capacibility (used to make/modify sounds)

Those are the one I use more often but I also have access to:

-ModplugTracker (outdated)
-Cubase SX (not too familiar)
-CakeWalk HS2K2 (A little familiar)

BTW The only prg that are free in this list are Psycle/modplugtracker (FreeWare) and Audiomulch (Free Beta)

Guest stewart
Maybe all the music guys should do a tool swap!

BTW I can't open the ogg file, I've tried media player for windows and quick time. What do I use?

Hep me!

[quote name='Stewart' date='Jan 21 2003, 03:13 PM']Maybe all the music guys should do a tool swap!

BTW I can't open the ogg file, I've tried media player for windows and quick time.  What do I use?

Hep me![/quote]
Winamp 3 has a native decoder... Dont know if Winamp 2 have it..

Greetings
Red Knight

OK, I have some new information about the intro. As far as I can tell from the new program I got, it will be very easy to change timing (ie make words/graphics stay longer or shorter) but it will be VERY difficult to do major revamps. Another difficulty is that the number of scenes from that script is going to make for a very hard movie to make. Just relax for a little while so i can try and get this together...We still have some time before the game is finished...so be patient.