Runnning Xcom Apoc Under Winxp
Posted 08 August 2005 - 12:26 PM
i read some threads about installing xcom apoc under win xp, but its realy difficult for me to understand.
is there a easy way to install it?
btw. i installed it and the isntaller said he found not enough memory cache..
after install i started it and the movie apeared. the sound came very shitty und after the movie the game screen to desktop...
i tried dosbox but the programm didnt start..
a friend said something about a crack, so dosbox dont read the cd(what causes the abort) but i found none on gcw..
and now i came on this page and after reading several threadsma head is smoking ^^
they're a bit to difficult...
Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:13 PM
First, it is possible to run Apoc without using either Dosdox or VMWare. Granted you'll lose some functionality (i.e. music and sound).
Second, the method I used is somewhat dubious since it involves using so many different programs/modifications to make it work.
After doing a optimal (Full) install of Apoc:
1. Edit Config.sys to include files=40 and buffers=40
2. Find the no-cd crack for Apoc
3. Find mouse2vk or mousectl to use inconjuction with Apoc (or have a really slow cusor).
4. Edit properties for xcomapoc.exe (and any .bat files you're using to run the game) to have compability for win95, disable visual themes, run in 640 x 480 and run in 256 colors.
5. If using a .bat file apend SKIP after xcomapoc.exe, this skips cinematics which don't work to well for me.
Anyways, after all of that the game worked for me. Going to have to try Dosdox and VMWare if I get a chance.
Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:35 AM
i have sound and music, but no movies.
the problem is that i cant scroll left or up
if i touch the left or upper border the screen shakes an then it scrolls right oder down
scrolling left or down is no problem...
i think it has to do with mousectl.com which i downloaded..
Edited by mephi, 11 August 2005 - 06:36 AM.
Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:27 PM
If you can live with the somewhat slower mouse speed you can safely turn it off.
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG
Now presented in DoubleVision (where drunk)