XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo2000 Weapon Concepts Discussion

Exo2000

Hi

I've made the two weapons (crossbow & flare pistol), and they are ready for test.

Unfortunatly, i was only able to do 2 types of ammo to the Scorpion crossbow (i hope you like the name ;) ), and the flare pistol ammo has an incendiary effect, but with minimal damage (that was the way i've found to simulate a flare), but it destroy's some types of walls and roofs which is a little strange for a flare LOL...

I know that Plasma is the one who takes care of the weapon set releases, so i don't know who to put this two weapons online. Please tell me how can i do this.

I was thinking in putting myself the Xcom advanced weapon set with the two weapons, but i don't want to do this before one of the master developers see's this post.

Snazzy work with the crossbow. With a little SporbMagic™ it could be a winner. All we need now is a double-barrel hunting shotgun. I suggest you make three types of ammo for the crossbow - normal, flare and stun, like Deus Ex. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello all. I was thinking about the High explosives and I had an interesting idea that could add a lot of tactical value to games.

This is a bit complicated for explosive weapons but I thought that would be interesting enough to put here.

You have the high explosives pack or a charge similar to this.

A detonator weapon, which only triggers the channels.

3-5 detonation channels.

When you prime the charges you choose a channel, then you throw them.

The way to blow the charges up (except hits) is to use a detonator and trigger the specified channel.

for example :

You place charge A (channel 1), charge B ( channel 2) and charge C (channel 1)

You trigger the channel 1 : A and B blow up.

This would allow for nice tactical traps / defensive demolition.

----

Another solution would be a single channel : only one primed state and the detonator to blow things up.

----

Edited by nachtwolf

anyone ever play Fallout Tactics?

they had remote mines that worked on common frequencys, so unless you gave your mines a discrete code, your enemy could trigger them buy guessing.

it was fun to take a wild guess and blow up an opponents mine just after they set it.

Dude, that would be awesome. As soon as a remote mine is placed, it becomes nobody's. That would be cool, you could just pack your entire team with a detonator and a tiny amount of boom, then you would randomly try to trigger channels to stop them using explosives.

In reality you'd make sure your weapons can't be triggered by ennemy signals.

I think simple place then blow would be more simple and easier to implement for the moment.

Edited by nachtwolf

• 2 weeks later...
I was thinking. Perhaps an exploding gun? It would be simple. It would fire like a normal gun, but you could also prime it and throw it like a grenade. It would be great for suicide attacks, you could don a flying suit, fly downwards into their midst, prime your gun, fire some shots and explode at the end of the turn.

Hehe like the good ole Dragon from perfect dark "hey, some fool left this gun lying around!, im goan sneak over and" .. - BOOOOOOOOOM

but i agree wit Kratos, they do kinda make grenades destitute, unless of course , unless you cant throw them, only lay them like mines

Edited by Sporb

They also, obviously, wouldn't have the potential to not explode when primed. They would be like the heavy explosive. There's also the fact that these things will be heavy, to compensate for the fact that they go BOOM. Like, 1.5x heavier than the average rifle. Let's not forget the fact that once this thing has exploded, you're not getting it back. This thing will have amazing potential for surprise attack, but they're not the average infantryman's weapons. Remember, grenades are light. LIGHT.

Not all guns are going to be heavy limiting their throwing distance...and throwing distance isn't affected by that much. If I were you, I wouldn't get so enticed into the idea because it can raise some fists saying the grenades are now worthless.

They obviously never played the betas to say that grenades are now worthless...

with luck , the Xcom advanced weapon set will be complete before the next stable - im finishing the last few sprites and Plasma is tweaking ballance and sprite placement

This may sound like a silly idea, but how would adding the most basic of weapons do?

Like sticks and stones/bricks or something (randomly finding them on the floors of levels), it would work especially well in jungle and farm maps and such; in case you run out of ammo. It could work if you can make them hurt. I mean, run across the field and lob stones from afar. Considering certain levels having them spawned all across the map (they're invisible on battlescape). But of course, to throw a stone/brick and make it hurt would require some additional coding (we need that additional coding anyway for the knife for throwing at enemy purposes).

When it comes to the knife, there have been times where one was thrown at me, or I threw one, and it just landed at thier feet and didnt kill them. It was a disappointment for a last ditch effort that didn't work.

Now for the real idea... Another weapon set idea. Medieval/samurai weapons... Just for the heck of it. I mean; yes, we have the combat knife and all... but at times, I feel like just running up to a sectoid and taking it down in one fell swoop with a katana blade. Or being able to have a sneaky shoot down using an auto-crossbow (5 shot auto, snap, and decent aimed. Arrows aren't too strong unless they're aimed.); heck even firing incendiary arrows (light it (prime) before firing) at a building/crop using a normal bow and arrow set (less accurate than crossbow, but deadlier; loads like rocket, has AP, HE, and IN).

1999 shouldn't be the only time UFOs came to Earth; now should it...?

Go wild with the idea, it sounds like fun to me. ^_^

"We didn't have as advanced weapons as you do. Yet, back then, we still killed eachother just as efficiently." --Fry, Futurama

EDIT: Once fatal wounds are implemented, poison arrows guaruntee 2-3 fatal wounds if hit (to act as a poisoning; med pack required to cure/seal wound).

Edited by Prowler2885

Or being able to have a sneaky shoot down using an auto-crossbow (5 shot auto, snap, and decent aimed. Arrows aren't too strong unless they're aimed.); heck even firing incendiary arrows (light it (prime) before firing) at a building/crop using a normal bow and arrow set (less accurate than crossbow, but deadlier; loads like rocket, has AP, HE, and IN).

Some months ago i've made some sort of crossbow with various types of ammos. Unfortunatlly, in the past few weeks i haven't had any spare time to use upgrading the crossbow, and to be honest, the will isn't helping. Maybe when you guys fix the flare effect bug i'll continue the idea of the crossbow flare darts and the flare pistol (for the night missions)

Prowler2885, if you are interested in view the crossbow, you'll find it somewhere in this topic, some numbers back

=b

i just d/l'd it and it was OK - Do you have a program that can uncompress .RAR's.

EDIT: sounds like you cant open .RAR files - i posted a link to RARlabs in a previous post where you can get a RAR file compression program to open it up. if that doesnt work, im not sure whats wrong.

Edited by Sporb

i just d/l'd it and it was OK - Do you have a program that can uncompress .RAR's.

EDIT: sounds like you cant open .RAR files - i posted a link to RARlabs in a previous post where you can get a RAR file compression program to open it up. if that doesnt work, im not sure whats wrong.

I have WinRAR but I've just tried downloading something else from this board and got the same results (unzipping reveals a single file). Maybe it's something with the board?

The same goes here too.

Some days ago i've alerted for this problem, but it remains.

The problem isn't in the winrar most people use or in winzip, but in the program that plasma or Sporb used to compress the set.

It seems that almost everyone who tries to download the file stops here, and can't unpack.

My sugestion is to return to winrar3.51 or winzip 9. The compression rates of these versions are aceptable, cause the file has only +- 450kb.

The same goes here too.

Some days ago i've alerted for this problem, but it remains.

The problem isn't in the winrar most people use or in winzip, but in the program that plasma or Sporb used to compress the set.

It seems that almost everyone who tries to download the file stops here, and can't unpack.

My sugestion is to return to winrar3.51 or winzip 9. The compression rates of these versions are aceptable, cause the file has only +- 450kb.

Try quick zip, it's free and supports a lot of filetypes.

zip, rar, tar, bz2, cab...

http://www.quickzip.org/

Thanks for the links =b

i've tried both programs, but none of them worked.

In quickzip, appears a message that informs that the file is not a valid zip.

With 7-Zip the file is decompressed but the result is a [content] file.

The file must be corrupted or something. Maybe when it was uploaded.

Yes.

Throwing knives should hurt.

Perhaps a new feature: Throw damage.

You could have the options "throw to" and "throw at." Throw to would make it just land at their feet. Throw at would apply the Throw damage.

This already applies on X-COM - it's possible to inflict HP and (mostly) stun damage by chucking a weapon at somebody. :D

The Stun damage is modified by the weight and distance, I assume.

Yes.

Throwing knives should hurt.

Perhaps a new feature: Throw damage.

You could have the options "throw to" and "throw at." Throw to would make it just land at their feet. Throw at would apply the Throw damage.

This already applies on X-COM - it's possible to inflict HP and (mostly) stun damage by chucking a weapon at somebody. :D

is there a way to change the amount of thrown damage for a specific item without modifying its weight ?

like to make a thrown knife cause more damage than a thrown ammo clip?

I'd like to impliment this type of thing with several thrown things, like small throwing axes, and plain old rocks.. but with different amounts of damage for each, and the ability to toggle the stun factors on or off..

http://www.geocities.com/swwc2tc/weapons.gif

No, it doesn't. Throw objects have no such effect on the original game.

I got bored , so i animated some stuff :Drool:

Anyone got ne graphics they want re touched ... re moddled ... anyone?

PS - the medal type things were based on the ufo rank platters given to your men in game once they gain a rank. I made heaps from scratch ... Say , you guys dont need any medals or crests do you?

the animations were interesting, maybe you could make an animated intro for ufo2000, sort of like the intro in x-com? which reminds me, I think the autocannon looks like it should shoot a lot more rounds per turn if you look at how fast it shoots in the intro

No, it doesn't. Throw objects have no such effect on the original game.

Really? I could have sworn they did. *shrug*

I've incurred it before, but let's not get off-topic. My sub WAS better than yours though. Now, I've prepared some weapons for the medieval set.

Sword, Moderate in CC, Moderate TU to use. Quite heavy.

Knife, weak in CC, low TU to use, can be thrown far for little damage and TU. Very light.

Axe (2hand weapon), very good in CC, lots of TU to use.

Throwing axe, like a knife but heavier, stronger and more TU to use.

Shortbow (2hand weapon), low power, low TU to use, aimed shot only. 1 shot in magazine, arrow or flaming arrow, low TU to reload.

Longbow (2hand weapon), moderate power, moderate TU to use, aimed shot only. 1 shot in magazine, arrow or flaming arrow, low TU to use.

Crossbow (2hand weapon), V. high power, moderate TU to use, aimed or snapshot. 1 shot in magazine, bolt, very high TU to reload.

Can we implement shields? They'll be a 1hand weapon, and increase your armour.

Incoming features I'm working on, you might want to consider this as you devellop weapons.

It will be possible to set hit animation, trail, trail length, bullet and trail color as well as have custom per-weapon explosion animations. All of this will be very customisable.

New properties in the weapon lua, all ammo (and grenade) specific are :

bulletRGB = {255,127,0}, - the color of the trail's dot, RGB format

glowRGB = {255,127,0}, - circle around the trail's dot, RGB format

trailRGB = {255,127,0}, - the trail's line, RGB format

trailLength = 40, - actual maximum length of the trail line (trail animation is about twice as long as this value)

hitAnim = png_image_set("$(ufo2000)/arts/impact_frames/32x40", 1, 8, true),

trailAnim = png_image_set("$(ufo2000)/arts/trail_frames/32x40", 1, 8, true), - two sets of images that define the animation frames.

Actual game footage of an airborne rocket is attached.

rocket_smoke_footage.png

Edited by nachtwolf

I've incurred it before, but let's not get off-topic. My sub WAS better than yours though. Now, I've prepared some weapons for the medieval set.

Sword, Moderate in CC, Moderate TU to use. Quite heavy.

Knife, weak in CC, low TU to use, can be thrown far for little damage and TU. Very light.

Axe (2hand weapon), very good in CC, lots of TU to use.

Throwing axe, like a knife but heavier, stronger and more TU to use.

Shortbow (2hand weapon), low power, low TU to use, aimed shot only. 1 shot in magazine, arrow or flaming arrow, low TU to reload.

Longbow (2hand weapon), moderate power, moderate TU to use, aimed shot only. 1 shot in magazine, arrow or flaming arrow, low TU to use.

Crossbow (2hand weapon), V. high power, moderate TU to use, aimed or snapshot. 1 shot in magazine, bolt, very high TU to reload.

Can we implement shields? They'll be a 1hand weapon, and increase your armour.

nice, what do you mean by "prepared" though?

I'm somewhat concerned about the 1 arrow per magazine, and the sizes of these weapons and stuff as they fit in the inventory section.. are the arrows able to fit in one of the small squares?

shields would be nice if they could improve frontal armor and maybe the side armor on the side the shield is held, maybe they could have a shield punch attack with low damage but a small chance of stun.

hand crossbow with poison darts might be nice also.

and a sling with sling stones..

also.. maybe there could be an incindiary version of the CC weapons.. like flaming axe, and flame sword.. etc. which would set the target on fire for a short time.

and caltrops... those little pointy triangle things they throw on the ground which hurt the feet of people who walk over them..

also, I'm wondering if its possible to have different types of explosion and smoke animations, like if there were to be green smoke after you throw a poison cloud potion on the ground, and regular smoke when normal fire occurs... and maybe make use of some other type of animation happening durring an attack, like a summoned creature causing havoc for a moment instead of an explosion animation, but still have exposion animations for actual explosions..

Edited by brian-o

Incoming features I'm working on, you might want to consider this as you devellop weapons.

It will be possible to set hit animation, trail, trail length, bullet and trail color as well as have custom per-weapon explosion animations. All of this will be very customisable.

trailLength = 40, - actual maximum length of the trail line (trail animation is about twice as long as this value)

trailAnim = png_image_set("$(ufo2000)/arts/trail_frames/32x40", 1, 8, true), - two sets of images that define the animation frames.

Awesome stuff, nacht. Finally! :D

(Will it be possible to make a weapon that makes a continuous beam from firing point to strike point this way?)

I notice the grenade is featured there. A new weapon: Fireball. It counts as a grenade, primable only to 0 (?), with a large incendiary rating but not much on the explosive front. It would have a fiery trail. Shweet?