XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART-Raptor

I agree with a rougher looking implant design, since these are shock troops and animals, they have no need for visually pleasing designs as far as the aliens are concerned. Just boosting the killing power is important to them.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few concept variations I whipped up based on J'ordos's biped model with some head options as well as a cybernetic design proposal. The cybernetics are to insintuate organs and brain parts rather than actual mechanical muscles or bones... and I just threw in some muscle cables on the legs for some continuity with the muton character.
Comments/criticisms?

edit: file did not attach. Edited by fux0r666

Ehhr, I'm not sure about this one :huh:

The first word that came up when I saw these was 'funny', not 'scaring', the heads look like some monsters Franquin could have drawn, which would be very good, but isn't the right thing for this game IMHO ;)
And the consistency in cybernetic use with that of [u]morlocks[/u] :) , well, there's a pro and contra: they're associated with satyrians, not morlocks so the raptors shouldn't look like they actually belong with morlocks. On the other hand, they all are part of the same alien invasion force, so I can understand why you did it this way. But do they even need the extra boost from cybernetics? Perhaps just a control unit, a few light armor plates on vulnerable parts and maybe some extra sensors?

Who is franquin? And from what I gather, in the original xcom, all the aliens have the same technology and they are all surgically altered in some way.

edit: I looked up Franquin and although he seems to be a very important cartoonist, I would rather no further comments be made on the drawing styles of team members in particular. If a design lacks detail or is otherwise inadequate, say so in certain terms. Just comment on the details of the monster.

Also, I encourage as many designs as possible in this early stage so I would urge you to put your visual ideas down on paper or on some electronic media. Edited by fux0r666

FraNquin :)

nevermind that, he's a comic book author, I tried to find some examples of what I meant on the net but couldn't find any.
And yes, they use the same technology, but the races themselves are totally different. But like I said, I can understand why you did it so similar to the morlocks.

Well, I don't have a scanner nearby, severely hampering my options when designing :(
Anyway, I've tried to do something closer to what has been partly modeled so far, with some color added. I'm not happy with the legs and will change those, I think if it's body would be lower to the ground it'd be better. Also, I'm thinking about what cybernetics to add, so far the inspiration's run a bit dry :boohoo:

edit: pic was a bit large :Blush: Edited by j'ordos

[quote]I would prefer to use the previous work as reference if it is needed but not for it to be a direct influence. Let's keep the workshops seperate for now so that those designs don't stare us in the face right off the bat.

Thank you for the offer, though.[/quote]

Ugh. I don't suppose there is any undoing this, is there?

Thought I'd continue a bit now I'm busy anyway, the intention is that its eyes are covered by the control helmet, feeding it with input its masters want it to see, hear, smell..., plus some small cyberinplants in its legs, but not too much of them (oh yeah, it lost its fur, although that's something you don't see very often, a furry alien. Besides, they're not supposed to be dinosaurs ^_^ )

[quote name='fux0r666' date='Jun 19 2004, 11:25 PM']I am unconvinced that this thing necessarily needs to be hairy.  Having a hairy dinosaur seems like a random collection of traits to me.[/quote]
It needs to be hairy as the original one was and was susceptible to incendiary. Plus pretty much all of the contributing members like the hair so its got to be a feature ;)

editted to remove duplicate quotations.

[quote name='Deimos' date='Jun 19 2004, 04:49 PM'][quote name='fux0r666' date='Jun 19 2004, 11:25 PM'] I am unconvinced that this thing necessarily needs to be hairy.  Having a hairy dinosaur seems like a random collection of traits to me.[/quote]
It needs to be hairy as the original one was and was susceptible to incendiary. Plus pretty much all of the contributing members like the hair so its got to be a feature ;) [/quote]

I'm afraid I disagree. I see no reason to include past designs as precedence in this task force. Thus far, I am unconvinced. If the members of this task force can make a suitably impressive design that includes hair and it is better than any other design without it, that is the model that we will present to the rest of the membership of xenocide.

It does NOT have to have hair, and I don't believe that restricting thought on the matter at this early design stage is helpful. I would prefer it if the exploration of these and all designs relegated to this task force be open, and if the best design decision for any given design is to include hair, I am open to that possibility.

Susceptibility to incendiary weapons can be explained in many different ways. But, that is the job of the creative text department.

We will do our best to create the optimum design given our task. That includes evaluating designs based on what features work in the context of the whole. I believe that the contributing members have awkwardly encorperated hair into their designs because they feel they had to because of the original. I believe that we must avoid the necessarily coercive nature of relying on the original models and focus on the role of the creature in the game. If we want a creative, original product, we must be accountable for our own design decisions. Relegating authority to the original Xcom game is not only uneeded, it is dishonest. We are not remaking Xcom, we are using it as a model on which to base the concept of an original game.

In sum, I believe that it is unecessary to put restrictions on design features so early. If there is a design that looks good with hair around the time of the task force deadline, and it beats all other designs in aesthetic quality, that is the design that will be chosen. Likewise to the contrary. Edited by fux0r666

That is excellent work, Fidel_. I must say that I like the way this design is going. I agree that the feet could be made slightly larger. I would like to try and increase the foot volume without increasing their weight much. Let us see what happens if we enlarge the claws or something of that nature.

I would also like to emphasize that we have a ways until our deadline. So if anyone has any other ideas they wish to explore or present, do not hesitate to share the details.

edit: Let's also see what happens if we enlarge the mandibles and neck volumes. It may increase the predatory look of the thing but may also make it look prehistoric and like a charicature... I'll sketch the creature a couple of times and see what happens. Edited by fux0r666

Maybe that is cause of the low poly nature of the model, I would suggest use Nurbs or that type of parametric surfaces as they allow very high detail with easy handle, and the higher poly will make it look more accurate and faithful to its nature.

Greetings
Red Knight

[quote name='Deimos' date='Jun 19 2004, 06:49 PM'][quote name='fux0r666' date='Jun 19 2004, 11:25 PM'] I am unconvinced that this thing necessarily needs to be hairy.  Having a hairy dinosaur seems like a random collection of traits to me.[/quote]
It needs to be hairy as the original one was and was susceptible to incendiary. Plus pretty much all of the contributing members like the hair so its got to be a feature ;) [/quote]
Addressing both quotes here. Since the Raptor needs to take extra damage from flames as part of game mechanics, it needs to be addressed by both departments, not just one. It doesn't need to be dinosaur looking, just alien looking, which is what we had acheived with the previous concept. I think this particular alien design has fallen prey to the website reorganization, as well as some laziness on a seniors(my?) part for not posting the concept in the approved list. The Raptor concept was already approved by Deimos, Drewid, and myself after a majority of the art team liked it as well, and had begun the model stage. It looked like Fidel had picked it up from his screen shots and started making a 3D version so we could tweak the look after any design issues came to light within the 3D version.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but my time's been very tight recently and I obviously had a brain fart to not realise we were retracing our steps here. This concept has already been closed, it's a matter of modelling what we have already agreed on at this point. I will post the concept pic in the approved list thread as soon as I find out where they are located :D and we can continue from there.

If it is the design posted previously in this thread, I would like to explore this concept further with the permission of the senior membership. We already have a 3d model for it and this design appears to have much more development potential than the last one. In my honest opinion, I think this one is much more professional looking than the last one.

I do not think that it will have much or any effect on our ability to complete the task by August 7th.