XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - Heavy Laser Rifle

mikker

Mikker, it doesn't have to have all those buttons on it, the primary thing I wanted you to get from it was the shape I'm looking for in the grip and that is one example that is pretty easy to see the beefiness I'd like to see in the handle. I agree simply copying the f16 stick and plopping it on the model would look extremely odd but I'd like you to use that as a basis for the handle you put on there.

The stock as you have it right now on the rifle would be extremely uncomfortable to weild. Look up some of the modern day weapons that have folding stocks and base yours off one of them.

Edited by Vaaish

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok - I'll see how it looks.

I also tried looking up some stocks but that one I, more or less, based this one on was the only one I could find (a shotgun stock I belive). I'll look closer.

• 4 weeks later...
yesh that shape is much better. Lets go ahead and make the thing a but beefier it still looks a little dimmunitive compare to the rest of the cannon.

I don't know if it's such an issue. I did post my progress, so that screencap is accurate. Saying that I posted my progress on Mikker's model or whatever would be sort of confusing.

I do think that Mikker ought to receive credit for his work, though. I certainly did not design it, I am merely revising it. It's still clearly Mikker's creation. I am fascilitating the development of the model so that it may meet the desired design parameters. Perhaps this could be expressed in the body of the article.

edit: I was not aware that there was no body of the article.. or rather, this is the body of the article. they'll be made aware of his issue by clicking on the link, at any rate.

Edited by fux0r666

Guest Azrael
Hey!  :angry: I don't get credit for the laser rifle in the news!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I've been trying to make a new handle for the heavy rifle, but I've had a hard time getting started (yes folkes, no progress at all on that). I don't know if I can get started AT ALL.  :wink1:

Sorry, I'm a bit confused, I thought Fux had worked on it, since he posted the model. I will correct it immediately, please PM me next time I slip, sometimes I get lost in threads outside my dept. :blink2:

I did work on it and I did post my own progress. I altered his model quite extensively. The task took me a number of hours and it is still ongoing. Perhaps the news could reflect this in some political way.

Fux posted his progress/alterations/modifications on Mikker's model, or something.

how about something like, fuxx0r666 has posted his progress in completing Mikkers Laser rifle. Click here if you would like to know more.

fuxor how long do you think until it has to be textured? Id love something to texture besides the shirt armor :hammer:

Going a bit crazy with seeing that texture over and over :P

Looks great, both the rifle and the heavy :beer:

I beefed it up a bit more - and added a button! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/mikker/Xenocide/heavylaser8.jpg

Edited by mikker

I wouldn't put the button there since it would cause too much of a chance of accidental discharge while holding the weapon. If anywhere put the button on the top and make the stick a little shorter while keeping the rest of the perportions the same.

fuxor how long do you think until it has to be textured? Id love something to texture besides the shirt armor :hammer:

Going a bit crazy with seeing that texture over and over :P

Looks great, both the rifle and the heavy  :beer:

Shinzon, talk with Vaaish and help the one that is doing Base Facilities texturing because programming is getting near PlanetView... we will need a massive workload there.

Greetings

Red Knight

Hey guys, any idea on how to make the thing even beefier? I can't really see a way to make it any bigger without making it totally out of proportions. What exact features from joysticks are needed on? Oh, and holiday just got pushed back another week, so I have plenty of time on the HLC.

Hey guys, any idea on how to make the thing even beefier? I can't really see a way to make it any bigger without making it totally out of proportions. What exact features from joysticks are needed on? Oh, and holiday just got pushed back another week, so I have plenty of time on the HLC.

it doesn't necessarily need to be taller or bigger but looking down on top of it it needs to be wider, also it needs to have a stronger looking connetction to the weapon. Every time I see it it appears that it will fall off when the weapon is picked up.

put the firing stud on top so it has less chance of accidentally being hit and change the shapeof the top to accommodate it comfortably.

...and remember that a modelled button is probably 40+ polys, but a big red dot on a texture is 0 polys :)

...perhaps the rear handle could be more like this:

_____
_I_____I_______

...that way it looks a lot more like something that can support the weight. the firing button could be thumb-controlled on the top.

and another point (which you may ignore freely, as it is very unimportant):

when I consider designs, I always try to make them symmetrical, because the weapon might be operated by a left-handed soldier. I don't really know why I think about this, being right-handed myself... whatever. what I'm trying to say is that you might consider giving the front handle another support on the left side, too. :)

Edited by Moriarty

I'm lefthanded ;) But yeah, I totally agree. I just imagine you being able to screw the thing off and plug it in on the other side. Problem solved :P

Fuxor I can't open that max file... can you export it as another? please? mabe 3ds?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/mikker/Xenocide/heavylaser9.jpg

made it shorter, bulkier, made the attachment wider, made the top piece quite a bit wider as well, and added The Button™.

Oh, and remade the inlets at the side of the laser to look more like the laser rifle. As well as the air thinggy at the front.

Edited by mikker

uh... shouldn't the front handle be attached in a way that the center of mass is below the middle of the handle? if you grip this thing now, it would lean toward the right side.  :(

then where can i place it instead? In the middle of the gun, in that little inlet?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/mikker/Xenocide/heavylaser10.jpg

more like that?

uh... no. :D sorry, I really don't know how to describe it better... the handle should be above the gun, all right, like in this screenshot (look at the top left picture):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/mikker/Xenocide/heavylaser9.jpg

BUT move the handle to the right and perhaps make it so that the (blue) thing that connects the (black) handle to the gun body is at both sides?

He means like this.

[=======\\
            ||
 /----------+\
|             |
|             |
 \.........../    

So that the handle can be held at the centre of gravity of the weapon (ie. hand over the centre line).

oh, sorry :P

but I'll have to extend it very FAR so you can hold the gun without crossing your arms. I'll see what I can cook up. But for now, it's bedtime for me :P

As it stands, I think you would have to hold it perpendicular to your body with the thing basically resting on your stomach. There is no possible way that that could be held at the side of your body- especially not in powered armour.

ok, the placement of that forward handle looks good from what I can see, but you really need to shotenr the grip to the width of the weapon.

The reason for attaching the images is they are getting blocked on your webspace here at work.

I'm trying to imagine how a person would hold this weapon. The way I'm envisioning the weapon is that it's fired from hip-level, with the left hand on the front grip and the right hand on the rear grip, but the rear grip currently makes me think the heavy laser would be easy to drop.

What do you guys think about making the rear grip more of a "rung" or "closed loop" instead of a stick? The thumb-operated trigger could be placed on the top-side of the rung.

Edited by Astyanax

the stick is fine since the weight of the weapon is balanced over the forward grip. For reference on this look up a minigun and see how that is held.

Actually I think it should be the width, you cant grab it all the way out there or it will tilt, what you could do is insted of that only being one side it, close the handle so it can be fired both sides.. I attached pics of chaingun/minigun for refrence.

minigun.jpg

chaingun.jpg

I don't have much time, as I will be out most of the weekend. I also got monday, but I won't have time for this then (and it was to the 10th, right?).

I've made the ending to the handle, and also made alot of tutchups here and there to make it flow a bit better. And I made a new piece at the front, and even shortened the entire thing a little at the front, so now the balance shoudl be above the front piece.

heavylaser13.JPG

indeed, and it solves the you-need-to-take-it-off-to-be-able-to-use-it-as-left-handed problem.

I'm still worried about it when we come to make the animation for it..... Holding it in front of you might help alot though.

I think it will be fine mikker, lets pack it up and ship it to Fux for optomizing the low poly version.

Good job.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume that it was posted a while ago - by Vaaich I belive. Let me have a look...

jep, the two uploads on page 11.

Edited by mikker