XCOMUFO & Xenocide

X-com Tilesets

Zapadniar

You can use the original tilesets, you'll simply need to use Map View to edit the maps.

There used to be a function on UFO2000 that converted tilesets from X-COM format to PNG/LUA. Unfortunately it's not set anymore as default and i have no idea how to activate it.

You can use the original tilesets, you'll simply need to use Map View to edit the maps.

There used to be a function on UFO2000 that converted tilesets from X-COM format to PNG/LUA. Unfortunately it's not set anymore as default and i have no idea how to activate it.

Is Map View a function of Nachtwolf's editor, or a whole different program?

I got no idea how to change from PCKView's .bmp files to .png. However, that might be a waste of time: any terrains to be added to the beta (I mean the distributive, not the mods available at the map depot) cannot use the X-COM tile images, it has to be original sprites for copyright issues.

Besides, even if you manage to convert the .bmps to a .png file you'd still have to convert the tile data on the .mcd files to .lua format, which would be even more work.

So if you are looking to create a terrain to be distributed with UFO2000 it's better to start from scratch concerning the graphics and use Nachtwolf's tile editor and map editor.

But if you are looking to simply create a mod of the old terrains use Map View (if you can, otherwise there might be another editor that doesn't require .NET but I can't remember which one). You'll also need MCD Editor but I can get you that program.

• 11 months later...

Hate to do a 1 year necro post here but has anyone found a recent way to do this? My brother and I have been trading off playing a Zombies game type, and it'd be great if I can use the original tiles to create some zombies maps, the Mapview link has been taken down since the last time its been posted (expected, its pretty old).

Once again, apologies for necroing, its just relevant information I'd like to know without posting a new post =p

You can extract the xcom data by writing "F_CONVERT_XCOM_DATA = 1" in ufo2000.ini. This will output the xcom tilesets as png and html (html for the shape and other data).

EDIT: if I remember correct, the files should appear in the arts directory.

Edited by Jezulkim

the Mapview link has been taken down since the last time its been posted (expected, its pretty old).

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you MapView. It's quicker if you simply use the existing original terrain files and the original map format.

• 3 weeks later...
I have been trying to extract tilesets to .png with Pckview, but I cannot figure out how to keep the background transparant. I use the GIMP, and I'm not very good with it.

When I convert files to transparent backgrounds or another file type, I create a new file with the determined pixel size and whether or not it is transparent. Copy paste the old file to the new transparent one. Whatever is not transparent from the old file, clip away using the wand select, color select, or other selector such as rectangle box or circle. Watch the threshold on the wand select, the higher it is the more parts of the variated color are selected. You will probably use 1 for threshold for what you're doing since it's a single color background (I think). Save the file as a new one and call it '.png' or whatever file type you want after the 'name'. Using this method can be tedious in GIMP, but it insures you file protection (color problems, bad file types, etc.) from converting file types, as other types like .gif or .jpg usually have less quality than .png files. But remember, use .gif for animations and .jpg for large files. .png will take up a large amount of file space if used on files usually larger than 64x64 pixels. So watch out for that if you are trying to save file space.

Anyway, anymore questions about GIMP just ask me through PM or email (check my forum profile). I've used it a long time and understand the confusion when you don't use it very much.

Edited by Kratos