XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Switch To Ogre: Older 3d Cards Working?

Guest Hoehrer

Guest Hoehrer
AFAIK, as long as you can use Direct x 7.0, you can play. Either that, or 8.0 can't remember.

Good to hear that, you guys rock 8)

One question that i forgot to add in my top posting:

Now that the game is OGRE based a linux-port should be at least

possible, shouldn't it? (i'm not asking for one mind you, just asking for facts ;) )

Werner

In C++ a linux port is posible, however that takes developers time. The good part is that Ogre already is portable to linux so that takes a lot of code out of consideration.

I think rincewind used a very simple path without anything fancy to be used by older cards I am not sure how old can they be (as we dont have video cards to test it) but TNT or GF2 should be a good aproximation.

Greetings

Red Knight

Edited by red knight

In C++ a linux port is posible, however that takes developers time. The good part is that Ogre already is portable to linux so that takes a lot of code out of consideration.

I think rincewind used a very simple path without anything fancy to be used by older cards I am not sure how old can they be (as we dont have video cards to test it) but TNT or GF2 should be a good aproximation.

Greetings

Red Knight

In theory, there is a path in the earth-shaders that should even work with single-texture unit cards (that is pre TNT-cards), problem is, you would still need pretty recent drivers for them.

So for a safe bet, I would say Nvidia TNT or ATI Radeon and up should work.

If it doesn't work right away, always try to install the most recent drivers and try both renderers (DirectX and OpenGL).

If there are still problems with those kinds of cards, feel free to post in this forum.

Greetings,

Rincewind

P.S: Concerning the linux port, in general, it should be possible, problem is, as Red Knight said, lack of resources.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have successfully run the ProgressDemo with Matrox Millennium G550 DualHead using both D3D and OpenGL.

Display Driver: 2kxp_592_006

Frames: very low, but that was to be expected :-/

System: AMD Athlon 2000+, 1Gig RAM, WinXP SP2

Dual Monitors used, Ogre Switched to Primary Device and left Secondary Monitor untouched. Very nice! Many commercial games don't support this.

:)

greetings,

zwn

edit: oh i'm listed MIA. Very nice of you to remember me still. I had a rough year with many failures to chew on. Sorry I couldn't help you anymore, but personal matters simply overwhelmed me. I'll report back to duty sometime; but right now that just isn't possible. Haven't forgotten you guys, I keep myself informed about your work once in a while; you kept on working even when many people like me went MIA. Great Team! Keep it up.

Edited by zwn