XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Baseview Assets Part 2

Vaaish

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GreatGold:

I'll admit that I was probrably over reacting, but nevertheless, when I find myself thinking of ways to keep something like a battleship ufo away from me, especially if I know how they keep them in the sky, I'd think that I'll look for a way to mess with their propulsion system. And unless we are moving in a very different direction from the original game, projected gravity waves are what I'd use to buy time for my defences.

Interfering with the UFO nav systems is still a very possible way to do it, but the problem is that I don't see how we can disrupt the nav system without using some sort of psionics. Trying to come up with a believeable reason behind it sounds like a very hard thing to do. Not to mention if we can develop a based sized psionic inhibitor, waht's to keep us from building a portable version and trotting it about to prevent aliens from using thier psionic abilities? Even then, that sounds too passive a method to keep them from landing, afterall isn't it possible that they might have built somesort of manual override?

[EDIT]

There's also the fact that the two facilities in the original were developed along two very different lines of research...

UFO Power source + UFO nav + UFO alloys > Firestorm > Lighting > Avenger > Grav Shield

Aliens with psionic abilities > Psionic abilities > Psi labs > Mind Shields

Edited by tzuchan

And unless we are moving in a very different direction from the original game, projected gravity waves are what I'd use to buy time for my defences.

BIG debate in that area. Check out the Firestorm thread, and related ones like Elerium, to catch up.

You are correct though, they do go along two different lines. These are things we will have to look into.

The think with the Power Source, is that having completed the Elerium entry first, we have guidlines to follow. These guidlines just dont bode well for a gravitational repulsion system. But, thats why they call this development.

Lets not hijack this thread though, and if you want to play around with a Grav Shield entry that works with both UFO Nav and Elerium, lets get started in a new thread.

Gold

I think that you could safely create more than one explanation for how the 'grav shield' (or whatever it ends up being called) works, regardless of what the model looks like. If you were to come up with an awesome explanation that required a rework of the emmiter portion, that would be possible, but I'd just leave out any physical descriptions until the model is done and then go from there. My suggestion would be to not use Psi related reasoning for it. If it creates gravitational fields that slow the ship or disrupts the gyroscope-equivalent instruments inside it, either would affect the ship's approach long enough for a second shot to be fired. But the device modeled can emit whatever fields are needed either way.

Personally I think the models so far have been Great - with a capital "G" - and I also think that the further we initially take xenocide's look and feel from X-Com is better. Because, personally I would like to see something that is much like X-Com, but at the same time allmost completely new!

And about the Gravity shield, I have an idea, but now I'm too tired to share it with you, g'night, and sorry... :zzzzz:

I'll consider it when I start on the grav shield, but I'm probably not going to to do it until CTD gets at least the basics of how the thing works nailed down.

In hte mean time lets keep the focus on the Hyperwave decoder.

If there is no discussion I'll consider this one finished and move on to the Grav shield or whatever it happens to be now. :)

• 2 weeks later...
If there are no comments I'll consider this model finished, the baseview asset models complete and I'll package them up to Drewid.

So does this mean we are now going to get to see them textured?!

:Drool:

Gold

I was planning to ask the same thing.. Whos's gonna handle the textures for all these facilitys? Drewid? Lot of work for one person.. :blink:

Guest drewid

I'll speed up as my "real" work level drops back again in a couple of weeks.

(Beta , hooray). also things tend to faster as you go along as you get more textures to reuse.

So does this mean we are now going to get to see them textured?!

:Drool:

Gold

I was planning to ask the same thing.. Whos's gonna handle the textures for all these facilitys? Drewid? Lot of work for one person.. :blink:

ATM drewid is doing it to keep consistency in the textures same as how I did all the base modules to keep consistency in design. Alot of the later modules should be quite simple to texture since I reused elements from previous modules. Should make it so we can just pull in already mapped one and replace the unmapped version.