XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND - USELESS - Let's Work Together!

Whitewashed

As I said in the thread "Is there any use for me?" :

I'm a guitarist. If there's a sound artist that wants a melody played with real guitars I'd be glad to do it. I can also add drums if you like. Just send me the melody as some MIDI recording or whatever. I'd be glad to work together with you.

Here are two songs I did for the game:

http://www.magnic.com/viktor/Xenocide1.mp3

http://www.magnic.com/viktor/Xenocide2.mp3

If someone feels like adding some spooky effects or orchestration to them it would be great. Also feel free to comment on them if I should make them longer / shorter or change something else. I was thinking the second one would fit some sort of victory scene.

I just want to contribute to the game any way possible.

Well, I think there's certainly use for u :)

I don't think that guitar music will do at the moments where the tension in the game has to be (cfr. Night missions in the jungle (UFO: Enemy Unknown))

But, other parts like the intercepting theme, the victory or defeat theme might need a nice guitar voice on it. And with ur skills, that won't be a problem ;)

By the way, orchestration is one of the things I do :)

I agree that guitars won't be good in all situations but in some indeed.

So, do you feel like adding some stuff to these songs? Should I make the drums more complex or do any other changes to them?

yes, i shure want to try it. Maybe it would be good to separate all the voices into different waves. That would make it easier to arrange everything. Also, if u consider to do something different, u can easily modify it ;)

It might be good to use some real HQ drumsamples.

I'll see what I can do

Yes, I have recorded all the parts separately and mixed them together with the Multiquence sequencer. The wav files used take over 80Mb of space. Do you really want to download them and mix them again or maybe I should make them all just mp3 tracks that can be converted back on your computer? That lowers the quality some though I think...

These are real HQ drumsamples that I've used! :Blush:

Anyway, I'm going away a week over the new year now so if you want me to do something to these clips it will have to wait until I get back.

Here's a suggestion for a shorter version of the second one in case it fits the game scene better:

http://www.magnic.com/viktor/Xenocide2-short.mp3

hmmm, well, there's no problem with downloading 80meg :) For the moment I'll try to do something by converting the mp3's and putting them into cubase sx synchronised with the composition. We'll see what the first result is in normally a few days (i think: could be longer -> exams) ^_^

If there's be something that'll have to be changed, then there will always be the possibility to do the separate files thing :)

I'm also beginning to work on my own songs now, so things will be a bit slow for the moment due to college.

Anyway, the result will be great :D

Well yes, this by no means need to be the final version, just some scratch to work with. I recorded these really fast and some parts are a little sloppy. When we get a final composition that everyone likes it won't be a problem to re-record these parts.

Would you prefer versions without drums and the choirsynth effect at the end of the Xenocide1 sample? (Man, we really should come up with some names for these songs so it would be easier to talk about them. It would be easier to come up with names and ideas for the songs if we finalize the scenes they're meant for as well.)

You might have noticed that I started to discuss this matter (the scenes for the music) in the sticky thread

Haha :D yes idd, names would definitely be easier as the number of songs will rise as fast as a skyrocket once serious composition will start and we'd be talking about song nr 3548 :P

Anyway, maybe it's good to have one version without, and one with supplemental voices like the choir, just for trying ;)

Yeah, I figured any real computer sound artist could add a better sounding choir to it so I made one without it.

http://www.magnic.com/viktor/Xenocide1-nochoir.mp3

I'll be back after a week and will look forward to hearing your suggestions and what you've created by then :wave: