XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Will ever be a real new version of UFO/TFTD?

jpb

Just a few words about what i feel about this game, why it is so special and some expectations i have;

First of all, let me say that my preference goes totally for TFTD, probably because of the (Underwater) theme itself, the aliens, etc, i particularly enjoy the port attacks, island and cargo ship raid missions.

I always dreamed and wished that somebody came up a mod/variant of this game, in fact i feel that many fans of this game (as well as UFO) would apreciate much more a variant with the same game engine, same menus, same graphic quality (well, maybe an improved pallete in order to smooth the graphics just a little bit), diferent aliens, different story line, instead of new versions with considerable changes that doesn't produce the same feel and enjoyment sensation (like Aftermath or Extraterrestrials) rendering the game to fall much behind its predecessors.

In sum, i think it would be great to see a real new version of UFO/TFTD keeping the same game concept but obviously changing some aspects like diferent ufopedia, diferent technologies and a few other details without interfering with the original game structure. By other words, a new UFO/TFTD.

Every time i think about it this, it makes me dream with many ideas that came to my mind (i confess that many were inspired in some movies), for new tecnologies and inovations to include, for exemple, would be awesome to have some sort of thermal vision and a stealth/invisible mode (that need to be developed by the cientist team), different scenario (maybe in a recently colonized planet or partially invaded Earth), rescue missions, better alien a.i., alien reaction to humans new technologies, some sort of "alien queen" creature that lay eggs, would also be awesome to have the possibility to use (on the battlescape) small vehicles with mounted guns, sniping, some drop/pickup ship to bring reinforcments and evacuation (for both sides).

Well the possibilities are almost infinite but the key and the first step is that somebody or some game company could pick the initiative of develop a remake of UFO/TFTD.

Edited by jpb

I have the same kind of taste for UFO TFTD and EU.

I have been "working" on an expansion for the UFO EU version, I use the tactical.exe from the original game, but the Geoscape is a new program made in VB. I want to expand the game to be able to play in Mars with XCom and Aliens... So far I have almost finished the game, althought I lack the 3D MarSphere, I need to polish it and correct many bugs...

If you want I can send you pictures and maybe you can add some of your ideas.

Surely i (as well as the other forum members) would apreciate to see some pics of your work.

As for the ideas, what do you think about the ones i posted, specialy the thermal vision and invisibility? (and yes i got that from the Predator).

I always dreamed and wished that somebody came up a mod/variant of this game, in fact i feel that many fans of this game (as well as UFO) would apreciate much more a variant with the same game engine, same menus, same graphic quality (well, maybe an improved pallete in order to smooth the graphics just a little bit), diferent aliens, different story line, instead of new versions with considerable changes that doesn't produce the same feel and enjoyment sensation (like Aftermath or Extraterrestrials) rendering the game to fall much behind its predecessors.

Well, to be honest, that was what Project Xenocide was all about. For v.1 we wanted to have UFO1 with up to date graphics and sound. Not more not less. We had a lot planned for future versions too, like incorporating submarine TFTD-like action for v.2. But in the end we had too few people interested in what we did, so it died.

That said, if you know anyone able to program in C# / XNA - be my guest to revive the project :)

Surely i (as well as the other forum members) would apreciate to see some pics of your work.

As for the ideas, what do you think about the ones i posted, specialy the thermal vision and invisibility? (and yes i got that from the Predator).

Hmm, I was thinking about a research that would increase night vision... Thermal or infra-red is not a bad idea. Invisibility seems a bit harder, since "vision range" data for aliens are loaded when the mission starts, and I cannot so far modify process memory... So far only Seb can do pretty much everything with the game memory.

What do you think about playing as Sectoid? or do you just prefer XCom?

Hello jpb

Have you seen OpenXcom project? I think it's project which you are looking for. Basically it's open source (which means that it can be extended without limits) replacement engine for Ufo (it should also work for TFTD with some additions, as those games uses quite similar engine).

It's still unfinished, but it's being actively developed.

You can find more details on official website:

http://openxcom.ninex.info

Edited by misiek

Uncy,

Honestly i expected that people reacted to the thermal vision and cloacking "ideas" as something that would give a tremendous supremacy and render the game to be very easy, but the heck with that, afterwall the porpose of technological research in military context is exactly that - supremacy, the less chance the enemy has, the better.

Of course that those developments should be only achieved at an advanced stage of the game in order to maintain some balance instead of beeing very easy from start. I also confess that the effect of the cloaking turning off and on is something that turns me mad. to show you more exactly what i'm talking about, check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWMoDyIJ8ao at 0:19. I think i can edit the game graphics (Unit's pck's) to get something close to that.

On the other hand, you have to admit that hunting aliens in Predator's fashion it's not a bad idea, in fact that could lead into some sequel.

Misiek,

I didn't knew about that one, i shoul take a deep look. Thanks!

Edited by jpb

Hehe, I know what you mean now, what is that movie called btw? I guess you can change the pics, but it won't matter since your units will be able to see them anyway, even if you don't...

I gotta think about this one, but is a good idea.