Hoi there... :D

First Post - First Shot :uzzi:

A littlebit Elerium...

http://people.freenet.de/crixdorius2/Elerium.jpg

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing that you're single, FE? I could see my wife's reaction if I was working on a model like that!  :bash: Good work btw.

good guess :D but i hope this doesnt make me a sick bastard...or does it? and what would u guys have thought if i made male mannequin first? ...ok i really dont wanna know :devilsmile:

...and i DID NOT sign up fo that much homework ...damn school!!!

anyways ill continue with the modelling today and foreva mo :)

Crix: Pretty accurate for a first shot, i bet that you had been training very hard on your barracks... BTW very nice elerium shot... What Rendering program are you using?

Greetings

Red Knight

THX... :D

I'm using Cinema 4D 8.0 XL ...

And I work on some other X-Com UFOPeadia Object's...

:alienlol: I should not say that by works are good. Look at that elerium!

PS, scrap my last comment. I have yet alot to learn about moddeling.

Yes...

It can export to: 3DS, Direct X, DFX, QuickDraw 3D, Shockwave 3D, STL, UZR, WRL and OBJ.

Second Shot :uzzi:

A little Laserpistol :laser:

http://people.freenet.de/crixdorius2/LaserPistol.jpg

(In the moment I'm not happy with it... I will work on it.)

I made it last Night...

5 Hours or so... :huh:

PS.: And I see... the Problem with my Server has gone. :D

Second Shot :uzzi:

A little Laserpistol :laser:

(In the moment I'm not happy with it... I will work on it.)

Are you using any procedural technique for the textures or just plain textures?

How many polygons does it has? Can you post a little render like the barrel on the other post?

Greetings

Red Knight

Laserpistol-LowPoly

(I have trouble with my Server again... he compress the pic's again :angry:)

http://people.freenet.de/crixdorius2/LaserPistol-Low.jpg

The first Pistol has 14913 polygons.

The LowPoly has 6549 polygons.

For the textures and metallscratches I use the bhodiNUT NUKEI plugin.

For the game you'd have to greatly reduce the polygon count. Think guns usually have a polygon count of under 600 in games. Ask RK for what the range is for equipment and weapons for this game.

For the game you'd have to greatly reduce the polygon count. Think guns usually have a polygon count of under 600 in games. Ask RK for what the range is for equipment and weapons for this game.

But this is for the UFOpaedia and as the pictures are going to be static the poly count doesn't matter. In fact the higher the better as the game engine won't be rendering them. However for the game models I agree the polycount should be low.

But this is for the UFOpaedia and as the pictures are going to be static the poly count doesn't matter. In fact the higher the better as the game engine won't be rendering them. However for the game models I agree the polycount should be low.

They will be static for now, but eventually we hope (at least I do) that they will be rotatable, or something else cool like that. If they are rendered still shots though then they have 0 polygons. :D

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but does the number of polygons shrink if you shrink the picture? I mean, would it be less polygons to rotate a 3" x 3" gun rather than a fullscreen gun?

Oops sorry I didn't know that the ufopeadia items were going to be rotatable. In which case I retact my previous comment, the poly's should definitely be lower then :)

Micah, the polygon level stays the same no matter how big or small the item is as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong guys) The amount of polygons make the structure of the model more detailed. The skin textures do the rest. Lowering the poly count reduces the level of detail on the model so that curves become blockier and so on. There are ways round it like making a better skin to fool the eye that there is more detail than there actually is.

So if we kept the rotatable models small, couldn't we reduce the quality and thus reduce the poly count anyway?

Basically yeah.

I would like to see pretty much full screen models though in the ufopedia as the way it is atm there is a lot of screen space not used.

I think it would be nice to see super high detail models of the weapons and equipment so the player knows exactly what he is playing with in game :)

but if you are only displaying one model at a time we basically have to test how much our target card can actually handle... The card says it can handle millions of poly's so it should be OK to use high poly models for the UFOpedia.

Dont believe that it can handle that much (they are a lot indeed) but that millions polygons is only textured, simple lighted polygons, in a timeframe of at least 30 Frames per second, so you must divide that polycount for every frame (you have a little less available per frame)... not that much if you start doing complex bump mapping, complex lighting, etc... The geoscape has 2 huge bitmap for textures, and it has to be put on the sphere (not more than 500 polygons, in fact if you look it without texture its quite faceted.

But the point is: with single rotation models (and a little of code optimization), we can handle high poly counts so dont worry... even though you can fool the eye using bump mapping techniques... in fact im looking for a generalized bump mapping paper that i had saw before in internet, but cannot find it. To test the suitability of using bump mapping in the complete scene in the target video card. In that way we can lower much more the poly count... than now...

To respond to another post: If you have a prerendered still image you are wasting only 2 polygons (triangles), but all the calculation is done on texturing...

Greetings

Red Knight

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but does the number of polygons shrink if you shrink the picture? I mean, would it be less polygons to rotate a 3" x 3" gun rather than a fullscreen gun?

Nope, its the same quatity of polygons for a big and for a small. But you can implement a LOD algorithm (LOD = Level of Detail) that use simplier models when they are too far away to see the detail (the same for the small)....

Greetings

Red Knight

Guest stewart

The display size doesn't matter. No matter how many polygons you have the math required is still the same. However . . .

If the image is small enough (a we don't allow zooming in) the polygon count can be reduced until the reduction is noticable. The other choice is simply to accept slooooooow rotation.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest drewid

Man oh Man there's some cool stuff in here.

the Elerium is bootiful

So is the pistol BTW. though IMHO it could do with a bit more bulk at the back above the handgrip, it looks a little front heavy to me, a cool videoscreen sight perhaps,

Also I can take stuff down to really low poly if needed. It's a bit of a black art and I don't know what people here can do/want to do.

-Drewid

OK...

New shot... :uzzi:

A Skyranger:

http://people.freenet.de/crixdorius2/Skyranger.jpg

http://people.freenet.de/crixdorius2/Skyranger2.jpg

Is isn't finished yet...

But I work on it... :D

Guest drewid

Texturing is really really nice.

Diemos did a really cool concept for a skyranger ( in this forum, I think the topic was Game Intro---possibility). It would be worth looking at. It had some great stealth/blackbird elements which made it look ultra high tech and mean. Definitely worth a look.

Texturing is really really nice. 

Diemos did a really cool concept for a skyranger ( in this forum, I think the topic was Game Intro---possibility). It would be worth looking at. It had some great stealth/blackbird elements which made it look ultra high tech and mean. Definitely worth a look.

It looks great crix, but you should try Deimos one, or design a new one cause it can bring a little legal problems, we are working on that... if we manage to get Infogrammes aproval for the remake, if not the skyranger resembles too much the one in XCom....

Greetings

Red Knight

It's a plan view of an avenger and if you're interested it's in here http://www.micahdg.com/forums/index.php?ac...t=ST&f=29&t=902

If you guys want I can draw up the other craft as well. I was thinking of something along the lines of an F15 eagle for the interceptors and for the skyranger a cross between a c5 transport and a harrier jump jet.

I'll post them as soon as they're done :)

Could the interceptor design be closer to the YF-22 design? It has an angled look to it that complements the Avenger design you made Deimos. Here's one pic:

yf23_top.jpg

Of course, there could be a variety of interceptor models, and depending on where you buy the plane you'd get a different model delivered. It would provide more variety, and avoid a country-specific flavor to the game as well.

Guest drewid

here's a list of cool looking planes/prototype that you might want to pull bits out of. I can scan some pics if you can't find them in a search.

F22 raptor

YF23 blackwidow2 mmmmmmm

hypersoar long range bomber Wierd big control surfaces looks like the ship from "flight of the navigator"

Aurora - only got a wind tunnel pic of this - if I can find it

global hawk spy plane. unmanned but has some nice features, like the way the engine blends in.

Harrier AV8B - just for the vectored thrust nozzels

Lockheed SR71 blackbird (natch)

eurofighter typhoon

saab viggen Ageing, but the canard control surfaces still look cool.

f-117a nighthawk (of course)

b2 (I know it's a bomber but it's still cool)

b 1b Lancer (ditto)

i agree with deimos ...some really kewl skyrangers moddeling wise though i personally dont like their shape. i'd prefer flater and wider with 2 bigger wings or 4 bigger wings (eg X-Wing). but then again thats maybe only me :). oh and as someone noted u should add engines to it or if there are (maybe i missed em ...sry) then add bigger ones afterall its supposed to be a damn skyranger :D

I'd like something with a delta wing configuration for the skyranger, mabe make it look something like the spaceshuttle crossed with the X32a on the link Drewid posted. For the interceptor as long as it looks fast and mean I'd be happy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey -

WOW! You guys got some talented graphics people. You all got my props... So now I've got a question for you.

I think the X-Net ideas floating around are really great, especially the idea of it being Internet-like in design (talk about two birds with one stone - easy to program and excellent content). So here's my question. Any thought on how to tie the X-Net into the Research/Engineering development? I posted in the Research Forum, so rather than double-post I'll just link it to you all, because I would really like all your input.

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums//index.php?a...=ST&f=54&t=1114

For some reason when I try to use the Code Buttons i get a runtime error, so bear with me :( . Anyhow, if you have a chance, just give it a run through. I realize I may have been vague, so if you have question please ask. Or more likely, for those of you more informed thatn I, please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Gold

Just adding a small point. Can't all aliens body sizes (and maybe the ships too) be compared to a human? You know, like in dinosaur books where you have a silouette of a man and a silouette of a dinosaur next to it. This could also be done for ships.

That's one fine ship, Crix Dorius. Only... the nose seems to have made of modeling clay, and then hit with something heavy. Doubt that the tip is very aerodynamical... make it more a like a standard jetplane and I would be very happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooooookaaayyyy...

Now...

Interceptor.

(Skyranger comes later)

I combined a X-29 with a X-36...

What do you think ?

(The Gear- and Weaponpit's are openable)

http://people.freenet.de/crixdorius2/Interceptor.jpg

http://people.freenet.de/crixdorius2/Interceptor2.jpg

Edited by Crix Dorius