XCOMUFO & Xenocide

File List For X-com1 Save Games

hatfarm

Well, since this board has been away. I've started compiling a list of the save game files and what each does. A lot of it came from the russian x-com site and NKF. Some of it came from my own experimenting as well. Anyway, it's not nearly finished but I figured I'd let you guys know while I'm still compiling the list and see if anyone can help fill in any holes. These are the files for the Collector's Edition which I guess are similar to the ones in the DOS version as well.

The website is:

http://www.xcomufo.com/hatfarm/

Please e-mail me with any additions. The files I have info on, but are not up yet are: soldier.dat, unitref.dat and I've just started looking into purchase.dat. Soldier.dat is pretty extensive as is unitref.dat but I pretty much only know how many bytes per entry there are for purchase.dat. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-hatfarm

• 1 year later...

Nice Listing, thank you for the stuff.

i find out some new from the file, so you can actualize it at your page if you want.

loc.dat:

offset 01

when there is an alienbase, offset 01 will set the race there.

00 = sectoid

01 = snakeman

02 = ethereal

03 = muton

04 = floater

05 = cydonia (these will spawn random aliens in the base, i had one with 12! celatids, 4 ethereals only, 1 silcoid and 9 sectopods chrysalids on superhuman hehe

06 = this is not really usefull, every round you end you will hear an death scream.

on all spawn points will show up different weapons, an pistol named "fighter transporter" crashes the game when you try to use this, and there ARE NO ALIENS in the base :)

so its just use funny

07 = when you land the game crashes....

think the only right values here are from 00 to 04 (or 05 if you like )

purchase.dat

00 AND 01: the item type

0200 = soldier 0300 = scientist 0400 = engineer, 0100 = interceptor, 001d = rifle... and so one. note that only personal and crafts use the first offset 00, all other only use offset 01, when you change offset 00/01 to various like 054c or so, you get some nice stuff to buy like TERROR-MISSION, or other things (the strings from research eg) you can get some very nice Aliens there like ALIEN LEADER, but you cannot use or research them, they will delivered but not showed up in your stores, some values will crash the game when you scroll to them in the sell/buy menu in game.

offset 02, 03, 04, 05

they normally set to E8030000 wich means 1000$, but this values are not used, maybe left from game development

offset 06, 07, 08, 09

the buyprice (from 09 to 06)

offset 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D

the sellprice (reversed to)

offset 0E

the delivery time :)

offset 0F

think is not use or high / low bit for h0E or h10

offset 10 (17d)

when you purchase some, and save the game, there are stored how much you have buyed (values from 00 to 255)

not used think or high/lowbit

offset 12

purchase flag, 00 = not listed in purchase menu, 01 listed, you can buy it

not used or high/lowbit

NOTE: when you want to edit the list like the crap stuff shows at last and the good stuff at first, you must copy&paste the 20 bytes with an hex editor, when you only cange the first 2 bytes, you will get the item but the rest (price and this is from the item that was listet there before)

when you want to change the purchase.dat permanent, you have to edit it in the main game exe (ufo defense.exe or geoscape.exe) the data is stored like in purchase.dat

when i have more time and get my problems with the tiles for my new skyranger i will spend more time with the save files and post it here when i found out some new

Edited by DMC

• 3 weeks later...