Deimos

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Advanced Interceptor

Combined Human and Alien Technology

http://people.freenet.de/crixdorius2/Manta.jpg

A plane more to my likeing, since it has a more general plane shape. One question though: will the plane be able to land with that tiny landing gear?

You are right...

I changed it.

IMHO the first interceptor dont look like a plane that can be not only fast but maniobrable (sp?).... The second looks far better, but still looks like a bomber...

Greetings

Red Knight

IMHO the first interceptor dont look like a plane that can be not only fast but maniobrable (sp?).... The second looks far better, but still looks like a bomber...

Greetings

Red Knight

Fast and maneuverable? It looks like it could zip around to me. The advanced one looks really nice too. It reminds me of the classic flying disc a little, a little of the Independence Day alien ships too. They both look great. Maybe some of the bomber look would be reduced by adjusting the leading edge of the wing so that the first half was closer to the fuselage, then spread out further back? Or instead of a delta wing, having the wing taper back towards the body at the rear, sort of a diamond shape?

Guest drewid

Wicked craft ..... :D :master:

The Advanced is based on alien tech so it should be faceted. (Alien craft use the facets for propulsion and manouvering),

try taking out all the smoothing and lets have a look.

Guest drewid

I think I know how to make the first one look more manouverable. Try giving the wings a dihedral angle (Like front wings down, back wings up or something). thatll give it the dynamics to turn more quickly, angles always look more dynamic.

still really nice though :D

Hey -

Personally, I think they are both great. I especially like the second one, as it plays into the whole "flying disk" theme. Makes it a little more....personal...as this is what we've all been brought up to expect over the years.

Out of curiosity, what other craft are you planning on modelling?

Gold

Guest drewid

I wasn't meaning to suggest that these models aren't great, they are. Just trying to figure out why RK though "unmanouverable" and the thing with the facets is from the thread about building alien battleships.

I just thought facets would tie it in with the alien technology a bit closer.

Crix is an awesome modeller/texture artist for sure.

I think he probably dose it for a living. (Am I right crix?)

Crix's models are sweet. His original skyranger model is dead on, it's based exactly off the UFOpedia pic and is therefore perfect as is. That being said, it's too close to the original for whatever legal issues might exist, but otherwise is very nice.

Oops, time to go, tornado spotted in our county, time to hide in the tub.... (seriously)

Edited by Breunor

WOW!!! Those are cool fighters!

I think the basic fighter will better if it had a tail.Like this S-37:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/s-37scheme2.gif

As for the advance fighter it's just AWSOME!You could just change the color scheme to gray to mach the other X-Com equipment.

(thats one thing in the original game that I really didn't like-I know the Manta is based on alien tech but why coldn't it mach the Triton and Barracuda?!)

I posted this in the wrong thread, now it is where it is supposed to be...

Well i have a friend that is studying aeronautics engineering so i had asked what he thought about the interceptor design. In short words, the design is plain wrong. I gonna try to tell you why if i understood correctly. The point is that at supersonic speeds the air become a pretty dense thing, the friction with air start to heat up the material, under heating the material starts to lose rigidity, and lose torsion capability and other properties he told me that i dont remember now (i may had write of this properties too wrong). The point is that the conclusion of a high speed manuevering on negative arrow aircrafts (the design of the interceptor) would fall to earth like a stone... In positive arrow aircrafts you can have mach 4 (four times the speed of sound) and execute high G manuovers (if the material is well behaved and the pilot can stand it). That is consistent of what i knew about negative arrow aircraft, all of them are ultra lightweight aircraft with a susteinable speed of 2 km/h. Thats why it doesnt sound fast and maniobrable for me...

I hope this is enough theoric insight, cause i cannot give you more... i would have to sit him here to say what i need and traslate it into english if you have any answer...

I Come in peace: That is a subsonic aircraft (because it is a negative arrow aircraft)...

I got a response from GreatGold about my questioning, and my response is, if we wouldnt have known that a negative arrow aircraft of that type is not appropiate for the task it would be ok to miss the point, but now we know that it is not credible (at least for human technology). By the way my 15 years old brother pointed out that the aircraft cannot maneuver on the ground because of the lack of a tail rudder (??) and it cannot compensate on a mid air turning maneuver (so it would lose altitude when turning).

Greetings

Red Knight

Hey Crix Dorius, want to texture my YF-23 model? It's linked in the assetlist here. By all means, if anybody wants to play with the design, it belongs to the group now, not me. We know that the design flies fast and is maneuverable, and it will be in use in a couple years. So why not use it? And no, it's not because I modelled it, my model doesn't even compare to the others around here. A GOOD modeller could make it much better. :D It would be nice to see it textured with the one of the textures you used Crix, hint hint! :rolleyes:

Oh, and the tornado only hit the other side of town, we were spared. It didn't destroy Graceland though, so what was the point of having a tornado in the first place!? :devillaugh:

Edited by Breunor

Hey RK -

Yup, its just a design decision that you top brass get to make, and one that I'm good with as well. Just to clarify though, its not the rudder that is responcable for ground steering. Yes, the rudder pedals are, but they are actually mechanically or electrically wired to the front wheels, which are then used to stear on the ground. The rudder itself has nothing to do with it, although it will move side to side giving it that appearance. Hence why the YF-23 can move on the ground. Also, I think we might want to play around with the canards, as I think they are pretty high-tech looking, such a the Rafale or EuroFighter.

Gold

• 2 weeks later...
Guest drewid

Here was an idea I had for a swing wing delta craft.

This is just a 3d sketch of how it could work.

so in combat/subsonic the wings are open, like an x-wing.

to go supersonic and for fast pursuit the wings fold together and act as a single surface. so they won't fall off.

PLEASE NOTE.

The wing shapes are really wrong. This is just to get the idea of how it could work.

OH yeah. making it out of wood probably wouldn't work either.

post-44-1054279301_thumb.jpg

Nice craft Drewid.

Just as a thought, could the wings be curved downward slightly so that when they're in the X position it makes it look similar to a Bird of Prey. It'd give the impression of increased lift in the closed position as well. It'd only need to be a slight curve, maybe only toward the end of the wings as well.

For anyone wanting to know what the bird of prey looks like here's a pic of it.

post-44-1054296738_thumb.jpg

Shucks, the Klingon in me perked up at the mention of bird of prey...

How does this look for the split wing design? The canards rotate 15 degrees down, the main wings rotate 15 degrees up. The engines sit on top of the main wings, starting right after the split. The end of the main wings could angle down like the bird of prey, have the angle start once it's past the canard. If the angle is also 15 degrees, then the ends of the wings will be level to the ground when in the X formation. That might look interesting. Like the fool I am, I didn't save this masterpiece, I think I could make another one to add those ideas in... ^_^

1.jpg

Here's the changes, the wing angle is 30 degrees here, with the engines on it.

:rock: :happybanana: :D

1.jpg

Ah, you and your Klingon quotes! :D Actually, since this genre comes before the star trek genre, any ships that look similar were stolen from us by them! ^_^