• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#51 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:25 PM

In this Popular Mechanics publication on the future of warfare I have, it shows depictions of the metal storm 'hive' gun mounted on the back of humvees. Apparently, at least someone with credentials out there thinks they're useful.

the million rounds thing is never going to be used. They fire it for a couple milliseconds to get the results they want.

I don't know what you mean, blehm. They can't possibly carry around one million rounds and they certainly wouldn't expend one million in one volley. I don't even thing they have anything capable of containing one million rounds. The idea is that they would fire a burst over a large area, like a split second minefield. It's actually envisioned to replace mines in some respects because there is much less danger of killing civillians and there is no trouble finding them once you have installed them.

Like I said, the one million rounds per minute is a measure of cyclic rate. No M-16 has ever fired 900 consecutive rounds in a single minute- it's just the measure of how fast the mechanism works.

Here I go an angry brother gonna make his move
But can I buck him in the city so I never lose?
See I'm a get him in the crowd with a couple heavies
And lay the barrel to the ground, hold the gat steady
And now I'm ready for my adversary, talk is cheap
I'm looking for a way to make a plan gonna keep it neat
So don't be telling me to get the non-violent spirit
'cause when I'm violent is the only time the devils hear it
'cause all I want to see is m****f***ing brains hanging

Posted Image

#52 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 04:07 PM

So, it's basically a shotgun, except it fires a huge wave of bullets, instead of a shotgun shell.
Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#53 ekelmann

ekelmann

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 04:16 PM

Well, about practical rate of fire of Metal Storm - there are working prototypes capable of firing more than 90 bullets in fraction of second - and thus achieving this legendary 1.000.000 rpm. Alas, watch it yourself:
Metla Storm Videos

On this page you will find some commercials and also live firing, including reloading sequences and the like. Well, I was initially sceptic, but now, when I seen this videos I know - MetalStorm IS future of firearms.

And about Navy electromagnetic guns. AFAIK it's scheduled for phase 2+ of Littoral Combat Ship programme, so we will probably see it in action around 2020. Just wait and watch. :happybanana:

#54 Guest_alex the greater_*

Guest_alex the greater_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2004 - 06:44 AM

So who gets to carry the ammo?

:cussing: "wait for me"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the ammo is realtivly light (2mm neadles and no gunpowder/shell casings) you could fit 100ds in a clip but you would also nead a power cell which might take up moast of the clip and might not be to light (unless you are gona gve them micro nukler batrays like the laser guns have)