XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Base strategy?

My standby seems to be to expand, excavate, and build a power station right off the bat. Then scientists on the first mission to get a lab and then primarily focusing on engineers/relays/satellites with the goal of getting your first new wave of satellites out by the end of month 2 and really pushing to get every last slot filled in by the end of June. I tried getting at engineers first to get satellites sooner but it's just so unlikely you'll be able to get sats out before end of month 2 anyway, that I found earlier technology breakthroughs made life a lot easier.

I found that determining right from the start where to put a few power generators (and later Elerium generators) within a 2x2 block of a steam vent, and finding a place to put up a 2x2 block of satellite uplinks (and late nexus) helped me a lot in my 4th and finally successful attempt at this game. You need to set aside a slot for a containment when you get round to building one, as the research bonuses from live aliens can come in handy considering how quick the interrogations are even without "We Have Ways". Dig down and clear out paths to the slots only when you can afford it.

I've not actually ever needed to build extra labs, at least on normal difficulty. The free scientists you get at the end of the month and as prizes for some abduction missions tends to cover them quite quickly. In fact I've reached a point where I have hundreds of scientists and nothing to do.

An early extra workshop in the top row or anywhere that - if possible - doesn't get in the way of the previously mentioned 2x2 blocks might be handy for churning out those extra satellites at first. Goodness knows those damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't choices the abduction missions make it very tough on you until you've covered a continent with satellites. Not sure what makes them deter aliens from throwing their drop pods down into the cities, but it's nice to have a breather from those tough decisions. Later on, with enough engineers, you can remove the workshop if you need it to complete a facility chain, as you tend to get more engineers than you need in time.

All in all, I'm really glad you don't have to think too much about the salaries for your scientists and engineers in this game!

- NKF

Edited by NKF