XCOMUFO & Xenocide

The Weakest Alien Race.

muxec

506 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Who are the weakest race? All races have different stats and different assistant units. Ethereals are not very strong, but they PSI-ability makes them very dangerous. Snakeman are not extremely dangerous, but they crystalids-crabs are very dangerous in areas with large amount of buildings.

Mutans are very healthy... Floaters can fly.

What is your opinion?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My vote went to sectoid. Just becuase they look skrawny n stuff. Usually one shot kills with lazers. But they can be clever little devels. This is kinda off topic, but in the movie Signs (which I am sure some of you have seen) the aliens skin is vunerable to water, right? So they fled. Then they mentioned in the movie, or i heard from somebody, that the next time they come they will bring their full force. Well, if they make sequal to Signs, what are the humans gona do when there wearing water resistant cloathing? If an alien race really did attack earth for some reason. I dont think we would stand a chance, if there technology is great. Yea...

I'd have to choose between sectoid and floater.

My vote went to sectoid, although they have better acc, because floaters have better under-armor and are flying a lot, so you'll be hitting them more often at the best armored side. Second, because floaters are shooting from above, they have better chances with trowing grenades and shooting explosive weapons, which will hit the ground nearby.

I guess we're lucky that the aliens don't have some kind of rocketlauncher (flying in straight line). Those would be deadly in the hands of a floater.

BTW I heard someone ask for thoughts on a remake? Maybe this would be something: some kind of firing-straight-flying-explosives-gun?

My wote went for snakeman, they are very vulnerable to psi attacks, and they are not mobile as the other races

But the weakest race is rookies. They do NOTHING!!!

But they catch up very fast, and soon they become nightmares!!!

Floater's most likely yo be on rooftops and other odd places.

Anyway, if i see an alien, i can kill it easily. Only species resists a plasma shot - a heavy one :devillaugh: - is a muton

But bastards have godly hitpoints! :uzzi:

also stewart, can you moderate and move the needed topics in the apocalypse section

Guest stewart

I know I moved some, are there any left?

If so what are they called and where are they?

Anyway, I've got an Excel (95 I think) file kicking around somewhere that has a lot of game stats which I've uncovered. I'll have to dig it up and post it. Perhaps it will liven up some of the game debates.

BTW I voted for floaters. Their Terror monsters are a joke (THE most pitiful creature in the game). Floaters have slightly more hit points than sectoids and very slightly more armor but their base firing accuracy is worse than civillians!!!! Whereas Sectoids have fairly respectable firing accuracy. The computer doesn't know how to use flight to it's advantage so the fact that they fly is meaningless.

Snakemen have much better stats than either sectoids and floaters. And don't knock Etherials, they're tougher than mutons believe it or not.

I voted snakemen.....

They are slow. Movement and reactions (I think)

They have no psi.

They don't seem to put themselves into good sniping positions or hiding spots as much as the other races....

Heck, the only thing dangerous about them is their terror race, the cryssalids are a major pain in the butt....

But snakemen themselves are total pansies, I usually find them squirming down a street or out in the open feilds...... either way they are just a heavy plasma shot from death....

Sectoids are weak but versatile, they will use any of the weapons in the game, AND psi.... plus the little buggers find the dangdest places to hide.... gotta hate any race that can stand in the wheat feilds and all you see it the little gray top of their heads...

Mutons are tough SOBs.

Etherials make my men go crazy....

Floaters are pretty weak, but still harder to fight then snakemen, they can fly into some pretty intresting places, and they like rooftop combat and dropping grenades in inconvienent spots....

• 2 weeks later...
Floters are weak, but snakemen really suck, they can't fly, and chryssalids seem peaceful and nice after some of the sectoid/cyberdisk terror sites i've had. Sectoids are bad, simply because they're always in nasty spots, they set up crossfires that you walk into, they pull tricks, ethereals just sit there and mind control people, this can be avoided by using only troops with 50+ bravery and 70+ psi skill.......... mutons: They're supposed to be UFO's lobstermen but they aren't mean enough. Lobstermen just DON'T die, heck, they hardly take damage from alot of stuff. MUtons, they take a few shots, but they go down, lobstermen don't

Guest stewart
This can all be cleared by visiting the "My Game Notes" thread in this forum. In it there's an Excel file, available for download, that lists among other things the stats for the various races.

To bad the one who made this poll, forgot the most weak aliens out there. I think Celatids (what do they anyway????????) are the weakest.

Second weakest are YES YOUR READING IS RIGHT CHRYSSALID! They don't have weapons and when you first encounter them, you almost have flying suit and then they are reallyreally harmless.....

In base missions as long as you have a soldier with good accuracy, they are still harmless, cause as soon as you hit them they flee or or drop dead anyway.....

Actually, those Chryssalids are pretty dang powerful when you're in superhuman mode, since they show up in like, a few months.

And yeah, I've never really seen celatids do anything more than just float around. WHAT DO THEY DO??? :huh?:

I'm torn between sectoid and floater, since the sectoids have psi but the floaters have a tactical advantage coz the fly. (which the AI doesn't really use to full extent.)

But I guess it depends on terrain and time, too.

Celatids have few abilitys... UFOpaedia syas that they can fly (didn't checked) and have inert ability to know where are all humans :b. I mind controlled one of them in Cydonia's underground and using it killed with one shot Chryssalid with full health. But to this I had to go on square next to Chryssalid. Celatids accuracy is terrbile low so....

They do nothing except being good material for rookies to learn shoting. :D

Guest stewart

I think the poll was refering to weakest of the major race. If we include Terrorists as well then the weakest race is civilians (they're unarmed, duh!!!)

But if we don't count them then I'd say it's between Reapers and Silicoids. Repears can't fit through doors and silicoid movement can be seen even if the creature is not, they leave a burnt ground trail.

BTW that's how you can tell on turn two if you are being invaded by Mutons just look for the burnt streaks in your Hangars.

I voted snakeman. They're pretty ordinary and don't have any special ability. I guess the only area iun which they excel is looking terrifying. I rank them just below Chrysalids.

i voted humans... thinking that he was refering only to civilians...

But with soldiers, they are pretty damn good after a while...

IMO, Floaters blow, and their reapers? just giant bullet magnets, one time i walked into a room with a rookie that was going to die because of wounds and i found 5 of them, after 3 turns of the reapers running in circles and not killing my guys, he died from his wounds after killing 3... then my other guys came in for free kills and all were happy.

• 4 weeks later...
Humans!! you are so pathetically weak!! Die!!

We sectoids will rule the world!  :aliencool:

Shut up! You're only our, Ethereal's, puppets! We are the ones! You are only little gray skinned and big eyed pets! Mwahahahaha!

Humans indeed. But they are not weak. Just....outnumbered. Think of an x-com game, no cydonia, where you have to shoot down 1.000.000 UFOs, and kill atleast 10.000.000 aliens in the field, and aditional to that, 100 bases. :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

i'd say the snakemen are the weakest race. if your not including them with the chysallids

they don't fly, they don't mind control, they move slow, and they can't even shoot straight.

large scout, snakemen in the desert is one of the easiest missions you'll ever find. unless its a small scout ;)

• 1 month later...

Mutons or Floaters, can't decide between the two. Mutons have excellent physical prowess, but possess the greatest psi vulnerability in the game, making their advantage your advantage. Floaters, save their flight capabilities are pathetic. They are instant kills with even the most basic weaponry, and are by no means an adept foe.

What I want to know is why Ethereals are listed at all; they are by far the most powerful race in the game stat and AI wise save the Sectopod. I've seen those things (Sectopods not Ethereals) take a direct blaster launcher hit and survive. Despite the fact that I was playing on Superhuman difficulty, that's still an incredible feat of endurance. They also possess unparalleled psionic and damage resistances in addition to extremely heavy armour, great accuracy, and grotesque amounts of health. Their weapon is also fairly powerful too, at 100 damage with auto. They'd be veritible gods if they didn't possess a glaring weakness to laser weaponry to temper their vast multitude of strengths.

• 1 month later...

I don't know, when I shot at sectopods with my laser tanks and laser rifles it always took a massive number of hits to take them down, of course I was playing on superhuman but it seemed like sectopods were more vlunerable to blaster bombs than lasers. Lasers never seem to scratch them in my games!

Anyway, I voted floater. They are just so useless, they die quick, are stupid, and have no psi. Don't even get me started on their reapers. They are simply the easiest aliens in the game to deal with.

Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

• 3 weeks later...
I voted humans they have almost no natural armor, the have about as much health as sectoids and are easier to hit, they have civillians as their terrorist unit, they cant float, and they don't seem to be psycically inclined.

• 1 month later...
I personally think the Reapers are. All you have to do is stay away from them, and shoot 'em up. Just 3 shots can make this creature go to its knees! :explode:

Reapers are only dangerous if you back them into a corner, then they hurt. :(

And humans are not the weakest, because they can improve their armor (quickly I might add.), carry lasers (some of the best weapons in the game), are psychically inclined once you nab an sectoid leader, and they have tanks as their terrorists! Come on, a plasma hovertank owns everything except sectopods, and you have the blaster bomb hovertank for that! Plus, in the beginning, humans have rockets which provide much assistance when killing opponents.

I would hate to even look at a Reaper, Blah! Anywho, to back up my man up top, Humans are deffinately not the weakest. We prove it evertime we beat the game!

So you like being fair to the aliens eh? :LOL: I'm just joking, but that is a very good point.

• 4 weeks later...

Ha that would definitely be the snakemen, they're real pushovers.. floaters die quite easily as well, but they can fly, so they occasionally pick off some of my soldiers, forcing me to reload my game :D

So snakemen all the way.

• 4 weeks later...
in a mission without terrorists I'd definatly say snakemen. Unfortunatly in the latter half of my games they are the race I typically encounter in terror missions. With terrorists I'd have to say floaters. 1 on 1 they have a slight edge over the snakemen but I don't think I've ever lost a soldier to a reaper so...

• 1 month later...

By the way, everyone probably knows how sectopods take double damage from lasers and all that, while chryssalids take half damage from explosives (well, from observation, they seem to take less damage from explosives than they do with AP bullets of the same strength level), right? (or how lobsterman in TFTD halve damage from the main weapon groups)

Did you know that in UFO, X-Com soldiers take double damage from practically every main weapon type? AP, Laser, Plasma being the main three. Not too sure about stun, HE and incendiary impact damage.

How do I know this? A while back, when trying to understand how damage vs. armour works, I spent a whole day shooting a rifle at a soldier with 0 locational armour just to see how random damage normally is. Now, rifles are listed as being able to do 30 damage, but the soldier sustained random damage levels that ranged between 0 and 60 damage.

On the other hand, in TFTD, a 60AP gas cannon shell only dealt damage between 0 - 30 damage to a 0 armour lobsterman (though to a X-Com UFO soldier, I'm guessing it would've done something like 0 - 120 damage).

This says quite a lot about X-Com units and their general fragility. :)

But I wouldn't say that they are the weakest.

---

Ignoring terror unit companions: Statwise (and stats are very important for AI units), the snakemen are definitely the weakest. The floaters are not only slightly stronger, but they get to levitate too. Snakemen can't. Thus, if you want a base you can leach resources from, a snakeman base would come in handy (you don't get terror units on supply ships).

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Nice research there NKF :)

Statwise (and stats are very important for AI units), the snakemen are definitely the weakest.

How do you mean? Snakemen appear to have supior stats in all categories.

Now, rifles are listed as being able to do 30 damage, but the soldier sustained random damage levels that ranged between 0 and 60 damage.

Maybe X-COM agents take more damage when they're shot in different places. An arm hit could do normal damage, a torso hit could do 1.5 times the damage, but a head shot could do double damage.

It'd explain why TFTD armor varies so much in thickness. It'd be because an agent takes so much more damage from a torso hit, than an arm hit.

Just an idea you might want to test sometime, NKF.

On beginner difficulty, Snakemen appear to be the weakest and the slowest, with only 40 TUs.