XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Signature Xenocide Banners

GreatGold

Hey -

Just wondering if one of the 2D graphics gurus could whip up a Xenocide Developers signature banner, to go in the signature. Perhaps using the X-Corp logo, or whatever strikes your fancy. Anyone want to do it? And maybe just a Xenocide one for people who just realize how damn cool this project is :wink: ...

It would be nice to go to other forums, and have some publicity... :aliencool:

Gold

Edited by GreatGold

I like the Xenocide one you have in your sig GG. I think the long flat ones work well in this kind of setting.

Great job Vaaish. You think you could incorporate the alien eyes in there somewhere? Gotta have them alien eyes. ;)

Thanks, I don't want to annoy people with slower connections, so I took the "compassionate" route and made it small :D . Also, nice work Vaaish.

The competition is still open though... Lets see if someone can create on worthy of the whole team using...

Gold

I like the Xenocide one you have in your sig GG. I think the long flat ones work well in this kind of setting.

Great job Vaaish. You think you could incorporate the alien eyes in there somewhere? Gotta have them alien eyes. ;)

I probably could in fact the original logo I created for the top one had the sectoid in the background with the "I" in xenocide making the pupil of his eye. However while that works well for a logo for Xenocide itself I think it makes a simple banner intended to designate developers a little muddled and complex.

In this instance I chose to do a simpleified version and the later varients have been simplified as far down as possible w/o losing their intent.

edit: I wasn't too happy with the xenodev one so I put in the full xenocide

xenocide_dev4_copy.jpg

Edited by Vaaish

Usually there are more important things to be considering but I've seen a glaring oversight on these logos. Wheres the web address?

Whoever sees this isn't going to have a clue what or who a xenocide developer is so it might be a good idea to let them know how to find out.

Good job it only took 2 seconds. :D

P.S. GG why are you insisting on having .psd's of everything?

post-78-1058744823_thumb.jpg

Usually there are more important things to be considering but I've seen a glaring oversight on these logos. Wheres the web address?

Whoever sees this isn't going to have a clue what or who a xenocide developer is so it might be a good idea to let them know how to find out.

Good job it only took 2 seconds. :D

ah I thought they were for use here and well if they are on these forusm they probably know the address :) now if they are for use elsewhere then yes we do need the web address :)

Mostly, because I'm like an infant with graphics, and I cant for the life of me do things without layers. For instance, I want to brighten the letters in my sig, and perhaps make the eyes blue. But I don't know how to do that with .jpg, only if I have the layers of a .psd to play with. So thats about the whole answer...

Gold

Hehe most people do it the other way round :D

They laern to draw in non layered progs and are then lost when it comes to all that layers can provide. Tis a good learning practice to use layers from the start :)

However if you havent got a layered image and want to change one part of it, the marquee tools are your friend. Especially the polygon marquee tool if you have it on your prog. That way you'll only be changing the part you hve the 'crawling ants' march around. A couple of shortcuts as well are CTRL-Shift-I which inverses the selection. Very useful if you want to change other areas outside the selection and leave the selected area alone.

i manged to remove the xenocide text on the alien face (all copyright to the unknown creator of it :D)

alien_face2.jpg

Edited by mikker

Hey -

As promised, some more varients. I'm just learning my way though, so please feel free to take one and change it to your liking. I've also included two templates, just to save you time should you wish to make your own (the last two). Photoshop saves are available upon request.

So, please make them better. I'll probably switch to it then also :D .

Gold

EDIT

i manged to remove the xenocide text on the alien face (all copyright to the unknown creator of it )

How did you remove the text? That's something that I've tried, and never had satisfactory results. Is there a special tool for that?

XenoSig1_4.jpg

Edited by GreatGold

Hmm, didn't came out exactly the way I planned... but too lazy to keep looking for the correct solution :zzzzz:

Edit: what happened to the size!!?? :o Better make it smaller ^_^

sig2.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

Gold: drop the opacity of the alien eye layer to about 50 or 75, then take the text from your last version. That should help balance it out. all of the previous version have your eye bouncing back and forth with no one point acting as a center of intrest and leading your eye to the next.

J' ordos: kill the bevel I have found that stuff like that rarly turns out professionally when linked with text. same for gradients on text. It is more of something I would expect to find from a quake clan than a game dev firm.

Edited by Vaaish

Ok, let's try that again...

better, make the type for Xencide a bit heavier and fade the blurred text a bit more.

I like what you did to the Alien Eyes. How did you do that?

I listened to Vaaish and made the layer with the alien eyes 75% opacity :D

Well, here goes number three... even though Vaaish gave plenty of good ones... :(

newsig.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

I would like to see the face a little less dominated by green.

I'll use yours vaaich.

mikker.jpg

Edited by mikker

I like what you did to the Alien Eyes. How did you do that?

I listened to Vaaish and made the layer with the alien eyes 75% opacity :D

Well, here goes number three... even though Vaaish gave plenty of good ones... :(

getting better, you still need to fade that blurred text down to about 50% on the edges to keep with the ghosted look.Try making the ghosted text a light blue to diferentiate it from the face., needs to be visable but not interfereing with either the alien or the main text.

Oh and to help put a black fill layer behind all of the other layers... should fix the grey background.

Edited by Vaaish

Hmmm, iteration number 4. At least improvement over number 1 is VERY clear :D

I've duplicated the alien face, and changed the color of the bottom one, while the top one is transparant. That way I could keep the blurred text gray, and it came out okay I think.

Edit: oops, wrong file...

newsig2.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

Hey -

Well, I think I'm calling it a day on my sig. I like the one I'm currently using, should anyone like one with your name on it, just ask. It only takes a few seconds to do. Or if you want the psd, you can have that too.

Gold

Hmmm, iteration number 4. At least improvement over number 1 is VERY clear :D

I've duplicated the alien face, and changed the color of the bottom one, while the top one is transparant. That way I could keep the blurred text gray, and it came out okay I think.

Edit: oops, wrong file...

much better. only suggestions I have not is lessen the opacity of edges of that blurred text layer so it blends a bit better with the background on the left and right and use a color that contrasts more on "greatgold"

Edited by Vaaish

OK, done. And since GG doesn't need it anymore... I might as well use it myself :beer:

there ya go... much better now :)