XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART-Raptor

did'nt mind facehuggers idea of a spider, but the body would'nt work, so i used the spiders head and crossed it with that current head and this was the result.
Posted it here for sake of an idea swimming pool :D Edited by RustedSoul

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like RustedSouls version ^_^

I really like zips last head shot. Maybe do like a pebbly(black wet shiny) texture skin on the face running back into the fur of the body? What are some general thoughts on the body? are we sticking with the two legs and long whip like tail zip had suggested earlier? I like kliffoth's sketches, but I think it is still too demon like to pass muster. Though it would go well if we stick with the demonish head zip suggested for the floater.

To help things out a bit, and maybe to save the sanity of concept artists :D everybody should post a summary of what they think this alien should look like? I think it would be a good thing to do for every alien not already figured out. It's obvious we all have different ideas of what would look best, so it might help to get all our ideas out here first, and let the artists pick from them, rather than just reply to what is presented.

This has happened to some extent in this thread by now, but perhaps people should summarize the overall look they'd prefer? If you all like this idea, make sure you're specific about each part, for example:

1. multi-part mandibles, like in Predator;
2. mulitple eyes, shiny black, various sizes like a spider;
3. slightly upturned fleshy nose like a bat;
4. slender, cat-like body with dark fur, something like a thin Hyena without the front legs. The back legs would be elongated with longer pads to help with balance;
5. A prehensile tail, so it would work sort of like a monkey tail to help with balance, perhaps when attacking the tail (in theory) would grab a static object for support. Probably wouldn't be animated that way though.

Making these kind of suggestions outright might help a bunch when the artists starts posting concepts, they can pull what they can from this to begin with. What do you all think of that?

I was wondering about the receiver, I figured that's what the collar was there for originally. Does your concept include front arms/legs for the reaper? If not, perhaps if the head was lower down/under teh shoulder area rather than above, that would help it bite at smaller prey without stooping too much. It could even stand over prey and bite almost straight down too. Hope that makes sense.

more drawings base on Deimos's surgestions Im not sure how wrong its is. And am I right by thinking that every is pretty happy with it being 2 legged? and are most happy with the tri mouth idea?

i don't like the hand(s) but the head is a fine evil piece of twisted mindless art. Or something like that, it was a compliment :)

(to kliff) Edited by mikker

[quote]1. Mouth/Mandibular Region and Lower Face
2. Nose and Midface
3. Eyes/Brow/Forehead and Upper Face
4. Body/Torso
5. Legs/Motive Assembly[/quote]

Breaking the description in the above categories (which I think is what Breunor was shooting for) would be useful I think.

Here is my concept for the Reaper:

1. Multi-part mouth, with lower jaw that seperates and spreads. extruded fangs on lower jaw halves for grip. Black, shiny, pebbly skin texture
2. Slit like nose. Black, shiny, pebbly skin texture
3. Four eyes, two on each side, with the upper set about half the size of the lower. Solid black like spider or beetle. A small brow ridge that at 45º to nose slits. Eyes at similar angle under brow. Very small forehead. Black, shiny, pebbly skin texture fading into navy/blue fur at neckline.
4. Long body balanced on two forelegs and one thick rear leg. A long whippy tail for balance. Thick dark blue(navy) fur covering main body, end of tail (maybe not, but like a lion bob) and the upper legs.
5. Large scaled 3 toed clawed feet, with rear dewclaw for balance (like a giant chicken). The legs should be black like the face.

[quote name='Zipperhead' date='Feb 2 2004, 03:04 PM']more drawings base on Deimos's surgestions Im not sure how wrong its is.  And am I right by thinking that every is pretty happy with it being 2 legged? and are most happy with the tri mouth idea?[/quote]
I like this version of the body, however the legs look quite out of place. maybe make the legs much shorter and a little more lithe, like an athelete or as in your original idea a greyhound.

:D ah zipper, I did'nt think multiple eyes could work, but I see that they do. I like very much what you have done with it

kliffoth -> also like your work there, you get a smiley to :D

Here would be my basic idea of one

1: extruded fangs around the oral region (somthing really intimidating) Don't mind what mouth is used as long as you won't want your hand getting in there.
Ref: that pic I posted awhile back would be a general idea.- Ta whitewashed ^_^
2: Slits for nose
3: 2-8 Carnivore style eyes (Those that dinosaurs have is a good ref)
4: Fairly Solid body, Thick chest cavity, Docked tail (similar to rottwielder) or no tail.
5: solid legs somthing that can support the body frame, but light enough to let it travel at fast speeds, def 2 legged

Textures: would range from Dark Brown through to Black.

edit..Re-calibration of smiley factor Edited by RustedSoul

I reckon with a bit of tweaking we'll have this one nailed zip. I'd say he'd actually sit lower to the floor, more squat like to use those huge muscles to power forward motion.

How about flattening the bottom jaw and making a little more shark like with the 'T' of the jaw coming to a point. Lowering the eyes might help as well.

I'm not sure about black fur as mostly the player will only see them at night time. Now I know that goes against conventional wisdom as its actually a good camoflage colour at night ;) but in this case we do want to be able to make the creature out so we can fill lots of gamers with a perpetual nightmare of fur, jaws and muscle. Edited by Deimos

I must say that I love Zipperhead's concept (the one based off Deimos' suggestions.) It looks just like what I envisioned it to be.

And Kliffoth, your head looks great too! I can imagine that being on the TFTD aliens (if and when we decide to implement that campaign.)

I agree with Vaaish about making the legs shorter and more bent

The multiple eyes and the mandibles are really evil.

Got to agree about the legs though, I think the muscularity of the legs is cool, but a little shorter and further forwards might balance better. It looks a bit front heavy right now, like if it grabbed something it might fall forwards. Can it easily reach the ground?

Perhaps this could be a good guideline for the proportions of neck to leg length. , ie. how easy would it to for the creature to stick a foot on your chest and rip your head off :D

edit. Dark grey or dark glossy blue might be better than a dead black, or we might not see the form when it's tiny in game. it's the sort of thing that's easy to see and change when we get there, so don't sweat it for now anyhow. Edited by drewid

Good point Drewid, for the leg length, when 1 leg is fully extended forward I think you'd want it just under the mouth, as I see this thing running all out after prey, and extending those claws out with each stride Cheetah-like, trying to catch the prey. Once it does, it shifts that weight forward on that paw, and drops the mouth down into the prey from there. The other leg just helps keep its balance until the prey stops kicking about...

Yeah Zip, assuming that last joint allows the paw section to swivel seperately? The rear facing claw is at the equivalent of the elbow rather than the thumb, right? That's what I was thinking. I did some basic polygons to check how it would be proportioned, this seems too long in the legs to me... I guess if the legs were shorter, it can also have a flexible spine (like a cat), allowing it to arch the back enought o reach food it's holding with shorter legs. But then we are basing this off the reaper, which didn't look like it could really eat from anything other than a baby bottle (steel plated, of course)

I always though all reapers were female and born pregent

and a skirt on a X-corp agent? a short one at that. Edited by Zipperhead

Like Tribbles?

And kliffoth, just so you know...I was just joking. That is a really good concept. I especially like the teeth. I think we've found our Triscene when we finally implement the TFTD elements in V2+

facehugger-If you need anymore scenes, or something like it, just tell me what and who and i´ll gladly do it... :)
[quote]and a skirt on a X-corp agent? a short one at that.[/quote]

she removed her pants beacuse they were bloody... Edited by kliffoth

I like the latest in Xcom fashions... :D

Has anyone ever played Resident Evil 3? (The game itself sucked, but I'm talking about the nemesis creature)

Kliffoth's conceptual jaw reminds me of that for some reason. Big and vicious. Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

eh.... let's not go in that direction guys. I'd hate to go back and start deleting inappropriate posts here, let's keep it clean please, as well as on-topic.

:crying: I liked kliffoths version better. Too bad I'm not gonna see it in the game :boohoo:

Fortunately that zipperheads version is looking nice too. Has the head gotten its influences from "alien" the movie? I know aliens in that movie hasn't got any eyes but still that head brings me the memories about that movie somehow.

Zippers reaper is coming along nicely ^_^

You mean by height? You have to ask breunor about that. I think there's limits about the size and four times higher would be out of the question. :( Sorry for ruining your thoughts.

of course he didn't mean in height Nyyperoid! :hammer:

the original reaper took up 4 squared opposed to the humans one

:D muppet

Zipperhead - looking good but I'm still not convinced about the balance, even the longer tail would have to be really really heavy to counterbalance the front. It's an awful lot of strain on those hip joints (and whatever it has instead of Glutes) for something that runs parallel to the ground. breunors cardboard box version shows this best I think.

I would suggest moving the hips further up front by a nadge / making the tail a bit fatter / making the glutes bigger delete as applicable :D

the hips worked out to being closer to shoulder blades than a plevis.
but yeah skulls are heavy. I might make to tail longer, I think that would work best. plus a modeller could work most of that out.

I still think the legs should be shorter and more bent so that the rear would come more behind the legs to make it more balanced.

This concept is done for me, the modeller can fix all the small bugs like leg hight and width. I can't really do that in a concept drawing.
If this concept is chosen to be modelled I would be quite happy, to texture it, and do a big final 2D image based on the final model itself.
but it is quite pointless me endless twecking this drawing.

If no one likes this concept, I'll start again with a new design (though I do rather like it and hope it gets chosen to be modelled :D )

alright, where is our new favourite modeller fidel :master: when we need him? :wink: Edited by Whitewashed

Damn it, really should get a scanner, as drawing on computer (with mouse :rolleyes: ) doesn't quite allow me to do what I want to :angry:
Ah well, here's a pitiful attempt at getting some anatomy, can't give it more detail without making it too hard on me, I'm afraid (if anyone wants I can try to give it some colour)

edit: add fur coat in your mind :) Edited by j'ordos