XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART- TERROR DISK: Merged Topics

That looks really cool maybe tha ball of plasma needs to be a little less defined, maybe if you add the same 'static electicity' to the Ball inside its maw then it will be exactly like I pictured it :D . Another suggestion is to make the texture of the bands more like neon, I think Irridesence is the word I'm looking for ^_^ .

I don't know how demanding it will be for the engine though.

Just dont worry about that, after we have a concept we will see what we can implement without a serious performance problem... There are always tricks of the trade that can help... But you need to know what you want to do first...

Greetings

Red Knight

The lighting effect is very good Ion. Quite a fearful looking machine now :)

However the texture isn't right I'm sorry to say, its too pink. The material for alien alloy is a mid grey with a hint of blue in. Look at Crix's Lightining and Vaaish's Avenger for inspiration. The iridium effect isn't there. Shame really as the curved surface of the disc would lend itself to showing the effect off really well. How about posting the model as a .3ds in a zip file and seeing if any of the other modellers can get the effect. :)

Still top marks for the disc model.

A Streak of Genius :rolleyes: . I was looking at the Undead coverart for Warcraft III and the folowing idea struck me how about if the cyberdisk technology was a little different.

The Fluid in it is not plasma but a special alien fluid that absorbs heat and energy from the surrounding enviroment that way powering the disk. Its attack on the other hand is a blob of that fluid which actually doesn't do that much damage, but it slows the target, because when the fluid hits him it absorbs his body heat. Maybe the game effect is that the target has his Ru's lowered for some turns in addition to a cool freezing effect and scream "it burns, it burns" (the same way Carbon Dioxide ice burns you besause it absorbs heat to fast) has a nice Ironic :devillaugh: ring to it .

I think it would be a good addition for diversity in the enemies one faces on mission.

Btw look at the picture notice the eyes maybe thats tha texture we need for the ball in the maw of the cyberdisk

http://www.blizzard.com/war3/wallpaper/wal...llpaper22.shtml

Let me know what you think

aLeaX

A very nice model with the plasma energy look! I see that effect starting from the rear and travelling around to the front, and when all the parts come together the energy ball forms in the front and shoots out. The sheen effect can be done easily enough. You can either post the 3ds file for it or email one of us with it and we can post a shot with the effect.

Guest drewid
You can get a great plasma ball effect by having a double sided poly with a glowing ball texture. You spin and scale the poly at random round it's centre really fast, with alpha blending it gives the effect of a fireball with rays coming out of it.

Thanks for the procedural explanation of how to achieve the effect... I was wondering how to achieve that... Do i need to use the accumulation buffer? or do that every frame?

Greetings

Red Knight

• 1 month later...
Cyberdisk threads were merged here, all other models and concepts should stay with this thread. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

NOTICE!

As a general informal announcement, we're asking that the various concept threads for the aliens focus more on posting concepts right now, rather than requesting tweaks to other artist's concepts. Rather than taking each concept and tweaking it as it comes in, let's leave it up to the artist to present their idea, and if you'd prefer a change to it, either modify the posted image to show what you mean (and that becomes another concept), or PM the artist about getting the files if that would make it easier to do. Some threads have lots of posts with tiny tweaks to essentially the same concept pic, which makes the contect very cyclic.

Thanks!

Also, please read:

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums//index.php?s...?showtopic=2355