XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART-Silabrate

The 9th one looks very promising IMHO, very different to anything we had already seen in this kind of games, and the roll forward idea of movement, it is very nice too.

Maybe ask for a more detailed sketch of it?

Greetings

Red Knight

There are some very nice concepts there, I like the idea of motion from #5 in the first page, perhaps shorter and thicker to help pull the magma/weight around. I see the last pic that's colored having those legs coming out of the front part, between the plates. As the front is pulled forward, the back molten half is dragged along, and the animated texture would flow so that the bottom seems to stick to the ground, and is pulled off and back to the front almost like a wheel or tank treads in a cyclic motion. That might be too much, having just a gyrating mass back there would be great too.

One for the Red Knight... I like the colouring much better this time, pretty fast to do as well...

dont like the face much, but I can work on that

post-244-1087785523_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zipperhead

I like #2 and #4. I like #2 because it has a lot of motion implied in it's form and graspy things tend to play on an inbred fear of being grabbed. It's very similar to something I've been playing with so I will start developing the idea after wednesday.

I like #4 because it looks creepy and grub like and with the crown and the glowing mouth it looks weird, primordial and unlike anything I have seen before. I would like to see this one in more detail with some suggestions as to it's mode of locomotion and how it would attack. I think that if we can make it a dynamic creature it would be something to see.

Ugh. I tried adding tentacles to that earlier one you colored (with a different color scheme), don't know if it turned out that good though (alright, maybe because of the rather dumb colors :P ) :wacko:

edit: wrong file :)

silabrate1colored.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

I think I'm liking where this is going. I had this idea that the instead of molten rock or whatever the skin could be made of scales made of silicon crystals or something...

http://www.kinetic.bc.ca/CompVision/tentacle-bending.gif

http://www.abc.net.au/science/ocean/monsters/img/tentacle.jpg

If we're going in the direction of making this thing really hot, I think it would be a nice visual effect to have the base of the scales and the areas in between them glowing brilliantly and the scales themselves to taper from a dull red to black. Sort of like the tones below (it took me soo long to find a pic of heated iron).

http://www.school-of-blacksmithing.co.uk/what_is/hot_iron2.jpg

That's an excellent start! What I had in mind for the carapace originally was to keep it mostly dark and just give it glimpses of heat around the corners near the centre to contrast it with the brighter and more detailed other parts.. I must say that I like your take on it.

As for the colours that's damn near bang on. I was thinking more contrast, though. The colour contrast you have fits the amount of colour on the carapace. If the contrast were increased I think you would have to decrease either saturation or brightness or the amount of colour in order for it not to look like a painted sunset.

I really like where this is going. That said, I am open to other possibilities and other adaptations of this design. If anyone has any contention or alternate views I would like to hear or see them so that we may consider them together.

edit: I found a great site with pics of lava flows. This is an excellent one:

http://www.educeth.ch/stromboli/perm/erta/lava/icons/ja_210.jpg

The whole site can be found here. It has lots of pics of magma at various stages of solidification and in various hues of red orange and grey.

Edited by fux0r666

OMG that is so impressive.

YAY! That's sooo good and I'm sooo glad I am off the hook for drawing all those freaking scales. I got a couple of lines done on a couple of drawings of different parts... but man! Nice work Fidel!

This high poly model is for rendering parallax corrected bump mapping, correct?

Edited by fux0r666

Well, we can make all those scales glow :)

(btw what's the polycount on that thing? :o )

Something I'd definitely change though, make the body when viewed from above more oval and less pointy at the end, it now looks more like an arrow than a slug imho. The way you incorporated those tentacles is good though, I had no clear idea of how to attach those.

I'm not a very good 3d guy so I don't know if changing the relative shapes or sizes of parts of a skeletal heirarchy is a big problem. Here are a couple of drawings I was working on for the shape of the thing. The but where the body bottlenecks looks a little unnatural to me.. but that's me.

Based on the shape of the upper body, let's discuss which you guys would like better, considering upper body shape and maybe tentacle placement only?

Bear in mind that these pics are like 3% finished..

http://www3.telus.net/web_project/Pics/xenocide/scales.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/web_project/Pics/xenocide/collabourative.jpg

Polycount is around 10k-20k. :) I'm not trying to save on details now as the more I can put in the better my bump-maps will look on the low-poly model. I'll see what I can do to the pointy body shape.

The tentacle placement looks interesting there on your concept pic fux0r666. I'll give it a try later unless we figure out something else.

About movement, this thing moves like a slug right? Should it be able to stand up?

That's a relief, much easier to animate it. So on the list of changes is: body neck (the thing between two "shields", I'll probably make it a bit larger), mouth, tentacles and body shape. I'll try to get those sorted out tomorrow. If there's anything else I'm all ears.

How do you feel about the tentacle placement on these models? The first one is along the lines of fuxor's scetch, and in the second one I thought about hiding the tentacles in those "holes" until they're actually used in combat. They would be poking out once in a while in idle animations.

uploadxxx.jpg

ohhh oooohhhh I like that, I like that a whole lot, thanks for checking it out fidel I think it rules a great deal.

*cough*Go with the magma one*cough*

I concur :)

Maybe we can tone down the magma a bit though. Wait, wait, don't start to flame me yet, hear me out first ^_^

Those tentacles are hidden when it's moving, so nobody knows what they're like at first. But when the Silabrate attacks, those tentacles shoot out and coil around its target. Of course, they're not normal tentacles, but they look like red-hot steel cables or something like that, literally burning its prey :devilburn:

Ok, that doesn't mean we have to lose the magma-belly (they burn everything in their path as well), but maybe a little less or all that hot stuff might come over as a bit too much of it :unsure:

I really like the magma design as well, very nice! With just a little glow coming from it that would look great. The hidden tentacles is also very "cool". Great work guys!

I like the magma design because it looks like a creature and not a random ball of molten rock- or a terrible rip off of the Horta creature from star trek that the original was.

I like the scale one because I think it's more visually impressive but the 'magma + plate' design would be much more easy to impliment. I had some reservations as to the ability of the parallax corrected bump mapping to pull off the scales since they overlap. The magma will certainly be easier to skin.

I would like to hear from the rest of the task force on the scale vs. plate issue. Perhaps there is a combination we haven't considered yet.

What do you think, J'ordos and Fidel? What is your preference? If you have none, is there a different way we could impliment lava + plates or scales?

I did this quick recoloration, it doesn't show exactly where I wanted to take this, but I'll try to improve that tomorrow; things to do would be making the tentacles look burning HOT, just like the lava body. Although the carapace itself came out pretty well imho :) (ok, maybe a bit too much highlight, but other than that I mean ;) )

silabrate2colored.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

stay away from the soft edged brushes, use the hard brushes on a low op (about 50%) trust me, your stuff will lose that tacky airbrush feel, other than that, your colours are badass. :beer:

I feel about scales/magma issue the same as fux0r, I'm not sure how the parallax bump-mapping will handle the scales. For magma it should work pretty well. BTW I'm off town for couple of days so I'm unable to do work until weekend. I might try that scales & magma combination then.

• 3 weeks later...

No real need at this point. I would complete the hood and call it a day. I think that the magma skin ought to be quite good!

By skin I mean hide.. and by should be quite good I mean it is good and will look very good in the game.

Edited by fux0r666

I think it looks better as the magma version, do you have an ETA on when you can finish it up, Fidel?

Anyway great work guys.

I think it looks better as the magma version, do you have an ETA on when you can finish it up, Fidel?

Anyway great work guys.

If you are OK with the magma body I could finish the model and texture map it by saturday (+02 timezone here).

Sorry for the long absence again, but you know it's summer and all. :D I'll try to pick up the pace.

Sounds good, fidel.  Excellent job.  Yeah, the Magma body should be double plus good!

I'm nearly done with the mapping, but it's so late (3 am) now that it will take till sunday afternoon.

To be continued...

Alright. In the zip you have milkshape and 3ds files + texture. I also took a screenshot of it. No need to tell, I know I'm a skilled texture artist. :D

I also uploaded a low quality version (JPG) of the texture map if you want to take a look at it.

Tentacles are missing at the moment. I need to figure out how they're going to be used in combat animation wise until I model them. Hopefully the texture mapping isn't too distorted and allows some detail, but if you find that you are unable to work with it I can try to improve it.

screen.jpg

silab_exp.zip

f_silab_low.jpg

Edited by fidel_

Excelent work fidel. When it is ready, send it to Centurion for conversion to the .mesh Ogre format so we can showcase it live :D ...

I didnt tell him anything yet, so when you send it tell him that this is Alien Concepts Task Force and as that he dont have to leak it until the concepts are shown to the community.

Greetings

Red Knight

Edited by red knight

I do what I can.

*Fidel_ raised 1 point of modeling skill!*

*Fidel_ has reached level 2!*

(Needless to tell that I'm a Jagged Alliance fan) ^_^

Has anyone tried to work with the texture yet? If the mapping is all screwed just give me a word and I'll try to rework it. I could try to texture it myself but it's very new area to me.

I do what I can.

*Fidel_ raised 1 point of modeling skill!*

*Fidel_ has reached level 2!*

(Needless to tell that I'm a Jagged Alliance fan)  ^_^

Has anyone tried to work with the texture yet? If the mapping is all screwed just give me a word and I'll try to rework it. I could try to texture it myself but it's very new area to me.

I've not had a chance to touch it. I'm still more than a little bogged down in reorganization and RL.

Hopefully I've have the assets chart finished here soon and just do updates to it.

• 1 month later...

you guys still havn't finshed this one yet? gah it seems like every time I dissapper that no work gets done... :P

I'll be popping in and out for the next year or so, but I only have net at work at the mo (oh I got a real job now) and no real time to draw, sorry. I'll se what I can do...