XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xp Again. Tried Everything!

Carlos

I have the original CD, although its impossible to install from the CD. I think because of the NTFS file system, the installed alywas sees me as having less that enough space to install the game and wont let me proceed.

Anyway, I already have it tucked away on another directory I was playing with a few months back. Only now it doesnt work.

I click on XCOM3.bat

The contents of which are

@echo off

fakecd .. /L:D >nul

xcom3_cd.com

xcomapoc.exe SKIP

rem Uninstall process

xcom3_cd.com

fakecd /U >nul

mode co80

cls

echo.

echo X-COM3 Apocalypse from Alex-God.

echo Don't forget Microprose Corporation...

pause

It flashes a DOS box and then takes me back to the press any key and exits when I do so.

I try running Xcomapoc.exe it just pops up the dox box, flashes a cursor in the corner and then exits again.

I have VDM sound installed and I have the options set to an older version of windows with 256 colours but nothing works.

One other thing. In the readme for the BAT file it says make sure the drive letter in the BAT matches the drive letter in the Xcom.cfg...

The only problem is the text in the CFG is undecipherable. just a couple of code boxes, no text there at all.

Any ideas?

I had to do a medium install myself because it didn't recognize enough space. Guess it's seeing so little space you can't even use one of the smaller installs though. Can't help you there. However, I notice the "XP version" you're trying to get running is the one that I didn't have any luck with. This method worked perfectly for me though, so you might want to try that. Edited by anaglyph

Thanks, got it working.

Ive been playing, leaving, playing, leaving for some considerable time now. Im determined to complete this third one since I completed both the others.

Apoc doesnt quite have the magic, no tanks, not such cool weapons and units features. Still, ill complete it also and then consider myself happy!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, got it working.

Ive been playing, leaving, playing, leaving for some considerable time now. Im determined to complete this third one since I completed both the others.

Apoc doesnt quite have the magic, no tanks, not such cool weapons and units features. Still, ill complete it also and then consider myself happy!!!

Sort of has tanks

Not sure what you're talking about ? Surely not the ground based vehicles for cityscape combat ? They are utterly useless.
That's kind of harsh. Land vehicles are dirt cheap. The rumble cannon and plasma turret are among the few earth weapons that can decently pierce a huge sized UFO. To keep them safe and useful, park them around the city, and bring them out in the rear. This way they'll be unlikely to be attacked, thus keeping them safe.

The rumble cannon fails due to its short range and petty firing arc (only shoots forward). But the other two tank guns can come in quite handy in the time before medium distruptors. Heck, an outfitted tank is worth about as much as one medium disruptor!

Not sure what you're talking about ? Surely not the ground based vehicles for cityscape combat ? They are utterly useless.
That's kind of harsh. Land vehicles are dirt cheap. The rumble cannon and plasma turret are among the few earth weapons that can decently pierce a huge sized UFO. To keep them safe and useful, park them around the city, and bring them out in the rear. This way they'll be unlikely to be attacked, thus keeping them safe.

The rumble cannon fails due to its short range and petty firing arc (only shoots forward). But the other two tank guns can come in quite handy in the time before medium distruptors. Heck, an outfitted tank is worth about as much as one medium disruptor!

Exactly!

• 3 years later...

I dunno.... hover cars (bikes even) with rendor plasma guns can take down some big UFOs. Put some linage plasma guns on a Valkyrie and you got quite a set up.

Personally I use rendor's on hover cars... about 5 of these swarm the UFO. My Valkyrie is just for troop transport. That's until I get ship based disrupters and some decent ships to put them on. I have not yet played an apoc game where I used a ground based vehicle.

One of the big drawbacks is that no matter how tough that armor is.... if the road underneath (pavement) takes a disrupter hit.... your tank dies. Seems unfair.