XCOMUFO & Xenocide

"vengeance" Name Change?

Sectopod

I don't mean to criticise, but theres something about the word "Vengeance" that doesn't seem right for the ultimate craft. Avenger fitted the description perfectly but Vengeance just doesn't feel the same.

How about "Avatar", "Zeus", "Nemesis", or something along those lines? I think Avatar would fit the name for a XC-33 craft. (Plus it keeps the "Av" :) )

I'm kind of partial to the "Plummeting Deathtrap" myself...

Luckily nothing is set in stone at this point in time. They can be as fancy or as irrelevant as we want them to be, it's just a name.

The Kaiser, Lion, Bald Eagle, Hornet, Wasp, Lead Chimp, Pidgeon, Warmonger, Peace Ender, Teapot, Endurance, Spaceranger, Meat Grinder, Rage, Spearhead, Thunder Hammer, The Craw, Sun Barge, Whirlwind, Eddy, The Knife, Liberator, Iron Donkey, Perseverance, Dragonfly, Raging Elephant, Vigilance, Bishop, Cyclone, Pillar of , Message of Doom, Prosperity, Red Baron, Headmaster, Screaming Silence, Absolver, The Strong Bad, Vortex, Hope, Detonator, Das Boot, Justice, XF-GH-001-HRL1-BRL2 Series 3.14A2x MK XIV, Vindicator, Optimus, Pregnant Duck, Sorrow, Eclipse, Prism, Vicious, Granite, Apathy, The Sickle, Crossbow, Glacier, Soggy Leaf, Fire Squall, Comet, Mystery Craft, Shame, Achillies, Starbug, Might, Redemption, Deliverance, The Etcetera.

A look through a good dictionary or a thesaurus would prove to be a treasure mine of name ideas. Actually, to take vengeance is also another meaning of Avenge, so one that takes vengeance is an avenger. Nothing wrong with a subtle nod towards the original.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Guest Azrael
The name for the Avenger has been voted and Vengeance has won the poll, the name will remain unless there is a strong reason to change it.

A thought occurs to me that may provide a rather unusual compromise, but will fulfil the tastes of all those that are totally weird or just want to be different.

I know custom ship names like there was in Apocalypse are going to be a priority. But what about the model name (the name the ship is identified by - or perhaps the default prefix name that gets put into all default ship names)?

I mean, even in Apocalypse, if we named a Retaliator to Isao's Death Barge, it would still be a Retaliator class ship, wouldn't it?

Now, what if as soon as the design specs for all new aircraft in the game were complete, the game then asks the commander what name to give the new class of aircraft. The default name, such as the "Vengeance", would already be filled in as the default setting.

But at the end of the day, this serves no real practical purpose whatsoever.

- NKF

Guest Azrael
A thought occurs to me that may provide a rather unusual compromise, but will fulfil the tastes of all those that are totally weird or just want to be different.

I know custom ship names like there was in Apocalypse are going to be a priority. But what about the model name (the name the ship is identified by - or perhaps the default prefix name that gets put into all default ship names)?

I mean, even in Apocalypse, if we named a Retaliator to Isao's Death Barge, it would still be a Retaliator class ship, wouldn't it?

Now, what if as soon as the design specs for all new aircraft in the game were complete, the game then asks the commander what name to give the new class of aircraft. The default name, such as the "Vengeance", would already be filled in as the default setting.

But at the end of the day, this serves no real practical purpose whatsoever.

- NKF

Right, the names should be changeable, I don't guess it's that hard to code, but the ship class would be Vengeance, unless someone really wants to go and change the code of the game & all related texts and change the class name.

heh.

Open xnet.doc

edit / replace

search for: Vengence

replace with: Hope

Save file

exit

:P

Yeah, but the average person doesn't want to do that... they want to name it by the press of a button, not by opening a bunch of stuff up

Guest Azrael
heh.

Open xnet.doc

edit / replace

search for: Vengence

replace with: Hope

Save file

exit

:P

That way you'd have texts that read as Hope instead of Vengeance, but in parts of the game like in the Manufacturing window, you'd still see "Vengeance" since the game doesn't take the names from the XML file.

It wont be editable by the press of a Xenocide button. but all text will be accessible, even as text as well. So that's fine, trust me, when I get my copy I'm changing just about every "official" name.

I was fiddling around with the Morrowind game editor and was looking through some of the books that can be found in the game. They use a very basic version of HTML for the book contents. What struck me was that for some of the scrolls that have the player's name in it, it's represented as %PCName - no doubt the html parser used by Morrowind is able to easily replace this with the player name at run time. Couldn't something similar be done?

I mean this way you wouldn't have to replace each and every name entry in the information database every time the name of the ship changes during development and for future modding. I guess it would look odd for the writers to include references to the ship in between the text like, say, ##UltimateAircraft## or @Ship_05 or whatever, but it should, in theory, allow you to only edit the name once (in whatever file stores the aircraft) and it should update the whole game without having to worry you about going back and searching for any names you may have missed.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

just make another .exe, 'namechanger.exe' that opens a panel with all names, and you can change those to your own bidding.

I don't know too much about programming, but what about a .ini file with base information like names, and that sort of thing. Or even with all the game info(so you can edit the game very easily)