XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SquadCraft [Trailer included]

yalpsid

Hi. I'm new here and I just wanted to share what I've spent alot of time doing.

Trailer

Unfortunately you need Starcraft 2 to play it, and an account in the NA or SEA region. It's my attempt at re-creating as much of X-COM as possible within SC2. I'm still learning how to use everything in the map editor and it isn't a perfect X-COM remake.

The following is what I could achieve:

• Turn based gameplay
  • Realistic projectiles
  • Armor Degradation
  • Destructible environment
  • A 'low cover' system where marines can crouch and receive protection
  • A wide variety of equipment making marines highly customizable

SquadCraft is a multiplayer game. It's much more simplified than X-COM but I find it very fun to play. It's got a larger focus on tactical battles. There are 7 'rooms' or tactical battles to play on. Players pit their squads against eachother. After one player/team remains in any room, players are given an interface where they can do 'outside' management of their troops before proceeding to the next room. The only resources you can spend are credits and crystals. Purchasing research enables certain equipment. Marine equipment is divided into Weapon, Armor, and Item. I use a really simple inventory system which is of a particular size. Equipping things will use up inventory space by integers. Eg Marines have a max inventory space of 4, and the laser sniper rifle has a weight of 1. After equipping that, the marine can equip 3 (or less) more items depending on their weight. The amount of equipment and research available isn't an outstandingly large amount, because I had to consider the time taken to complete this project as well as my technical skills.

Just thought I'd let you people know in case you can play it. If you're itching for a turn based strategy game in the style of X-COM which involves plenty of micromanagement but in a more modern game/environment, then this might be for you. I've tried promoting this map to other starcraft 2 players but haven't gotten too much feedback in the places I've posted (on other sites). Turn based strategy games aren't as popular as they used to be but they're still my favourite genre of games.

To prevent this post from being ridiculously large, I've decided to not mention everything about the map. If you have questions, feel free to ask :)