XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Pick Up Weapon

Gill Man

• 1 year later...
Guest alex the greater

yah but rember how many times you thought you killed an alien and than find out next turn you just stuned him for 1 turn and he stands up aggen and you have to shoot him aggen

imagine if he could pick up his gun

but should all aliens actually die screaming? perhaps this will be changed, too... maybe there could be another use for the medkit: checking alien vitals.

"hmmm, nothing... still nothing... beep...?...beep beep...???...beep beep beep beep beepbeepbeep oh, sh**! aaaaarghhh" :naughty:

Would add a bit of uncertainty and frightening atmosphere if you don't know if that alien really died or just fainted. I would like that, only the first turn after waking should be limited, as anyone who wakes after being stunned is likely to be slow and confused for a while. (and it would avoid stunned being more dangerous than awake)

Well, there is an atmosphere on Mars... :D

A very thin one, mostly Carbon Dioxyde (CO2), and very cold (-20C max, in the summer), but there is an atmosphere enough to have sandstorms, and orange dust in the air... (Just look at the Spirit and Opportunity Hi-res pictures...) ^_^

So yes, you'd definitely hear screamings on mars, even XCOM suits decompressing, people yelling their lungs out, etc. The sounds would simply be distorted a bit, and fainter, which means you'd not hear them past a certain distance.

Actually, even in space you could hear explosions, since the expanding gas would hit you anyway, that's called sound...

(and maneuvering thrusters, if they're gaseous exhausts, are heard too) :D

• 3 months later...

Maybe smart aliens would know to stay down until you passed by. Then you would have to decide whether to shoot it to be safe or save the ammo.

Also, there should be a chance that the robots have an 'alternate power route'. A couple turns later you see the lights come back on and the Sectopod turns and fires. If it was your HWP, then you would see the 'alternate power route' screen from Terminator, along with music.

Instantaneous perhaps for the alien machinery (power generation/distribution plus whatever processing power they have would be better), a little slower power cycling for the HWPs.

Something else I was pondering. Perhaps both side's Engineers could be put to some teritary uses on the field to patch up their mechanical units. I mean, I like the idea above about having tank units have a minute chance of resurgance, but if for the AI anyway, if their Engineers (if any are left) pathfinding was such that when they move, they'll defend themselves of course as they go or spot your units, but they suddenly have an objective to investigate downed tanks of theirs to see if they can do anything for them.

I feel as well the same for any AI Medics present only their pathfinding should take them to go inspect the nearest downed alien soldier. Granted, as I said, I do like the natural recovery bit in there that the first game had for stunned units, and this one should still have that. I just think there should be an added element inserted to speed the process up a little...One that can be a bit more proactive on the player's and AI's part with both given chances to thrwart each other's actions once witnessed.

But like those other discussions recently, I'm all for lending some functiality to different units and/or ranked units. With enough ranked units though, one could space out their responsibilities a bit more, rather than lending too many more specialized actions onto one specific unit type.

In other words, the Pilots, Engineers, Medics, Navigators, Leaders, Commanders et al should have at least one special action related to what they do for their cause (maybe its a combat move for some rather than one of function such as patching up an engine or opening a door), then investigate add ons for multiple disciplines associated across each other's main tasks (priority, second priority, third priority etc.).

This is by the way not touching on other effects associated with rank, such as morale. However, one might even tack on another side benefit, and that could be that whatever task is being performed by whichever unit it is (Engineer for instance) and their commander is still holding things together from a morale perspective across the entire squad in question, that specialized task could even be tweaked to occur at a much faster rate of time.

To illustrate quickly, take a retreating AI scenario involving a downed UFO. At least one of each unit of the classes in question are alive:

A Commander (or Leader), Navigator, Pilot, and Engineer decides its time to get out of Dodge after a given amount of time passing on the battlescape (they're getting their butts kicked :))...Working together in this situation, they ought to have the fastest recover times for what they're doing (the specialized tasks) than any other mixture of ranks present.

Any other mixture of ranked units doing the job could still carry it off, but at gradually longer intervals as witnessed in the battlescape. Of course, being able to pick up weapons (or any object not nailed down that can be used as one) would go a long way to making this awesome.

Edited by Snakeman

• 2 years later...

Although an interesting idea, I think that construct enemies have enough advantages with their speed, durability, and, oh yeah, no morale penalties and immunity to mind control.

While I'm a little leery about making X-Com operatives have "classes" (though if the aliens do, why shouldn't we), rather than engineers risking themselves in the field (with mind control flying around?! Huge liability!), it would be much simpler to have an item that repairs machines like the MedKit does. Non-combat personnel, at least in human militaries, are strictly rear-echelon. And missions rarely take long enough to warrant an engineer in the field.

And having aliens that can heal other aliens...yes, I know, it's realistic and would add depth. But notice the notorious lack of enemy healers in other games (Front Mission 4, for instance). If the aliens start healing themselves when you're not looking, you risk the game becoming a huge nightmare.

Could be a factor controlled by the difficulty level, though...

Oh, and one more thing, not knowing when an alien is dead was what I used proximity grenades for. Many an enemy Muton awoke with a strange round pillow with a flashing red light. I think aliens should die screaming...but not always. I think the "scream-if-you're-dead" rule should not be abolished, but demoted to "semi-reliable." I just don't like the idea of complicating gameplay needlessly by making the player wonder if EVERY alien is dead and covering EVERY alien he kills for like seven turns. Of course, there could be a particular class of alien that likes to play dead...

But back to this reactivating mechs thing. I'm never against a nasty surprise, but I always liked the one Hoverdiscs and Sectopods offered me instead of getting back up: EXPLODING. Sometimes a turn after you kill it. Now if we want to capitalize on this, I could write into the research data of, say, the Sectopod "autopsy" that they have, say, two micro power cores, while Hoverdiscs have, say, four. This is a subtle hint that a Sectopod can explode UP TO twice after you kill it! Or not at all? While Hoverdiscs could explode anywhere from 0-4 times. It's random, and depends partially on how hard you hit it. If you Blaster Bomb it, it'd probably be over that turn. But if you just shoot it down with a laser pistol, it might writhe a little before exploding once, then twice as its cores overloaded one by one. I can imagine an observer saying "stay away from that Hoverdisc. I don't think it's 'done.'"

Even scarier? If you score a "fatal wound" on a mech, it might just overload while it's walking. At you. Knowing it's about to die. Kamikaze! Aieeee!

Edited by Crucible