XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Dhtml Ufo:enemy Unknown

Kamikazee

OK.

I know breunor was making one of these (i think it was him) but lately the mini-project has appeared to have died. I'm not suprised considering the difficulty in creating a geoscape for the game. Therefore me and some friends have picked up the torch in the hope that we can solve the problem, And in doing so I can also help supsuper.

But we require help. cos none of us are particularly talented in any way.

Firstly a request for the art dep: I would appreciate a flat world map, howver the long lats most be perpendicular and must not curve like in most flat maps, meaning it will have to be strenched in places. Im useless at using graphic software. :)

Also a request from all others: If you know of a method or have seen an example on the web of a circular magnifying effect (liek the one in IE). It may not be possible to get such a script but hopefully it is. So keep a look out. Otherwise im open for suggestions on how to do this geoscape.

I have thought of usin VML (i think its called that) its vector markup lang. But i dont know it and i assume it would take a lot of memory. but it may be useful. so if u know about this.

Thanks. Fingers crossed!

Ah, apparently it would be virtually impossible usin DHTML methods but possible in java. Seems i'll either have to change the lang. or find another way. I may need to resort to just still images of each side of the globe. bu that would be hefty and would quite frankly suck.

suggestions please.

The amount of time spent learning a language just to implement the databases, calculations, and visual presentation for the web would exceed learning some skills that would help get the main project done by far. The only thing I had worked on before was using a java sample to create a menu for the X-Net, but using pure html for that was simpler.

I'd be happy to help you learn to use milkshape3d to build some models for the game, we need help with that at this point and it's a little vexing to see other projects pop up that really won't benefit the main one. Vexing in the sense that the enthusiasm has plenty of outlets here but is instead "taken elsewhere" if that makes sense. Good luck with whatever you decide to work on though.

ooooh. getting jealous of my little project recieving my undivided attention are we? ^_^

just kidding. Sure. I was playing around with milkshapee the other day actually, ended up just confusing myself but i think i got a bit of it.

I can do two projects at once, so dont worry. i wont abandon xenocide. :D

Anyways i wasnt gonna learn VML or anything, just nick an example off somebody and change it.

Edited by Kamikazee

i have the database set up now, if you can call it a db. Its basically just a big array of cookies (easiest). Im gonna have to do random battles or something, results generated based on stats for now.

• 2 weeks later...
geoscape is now finished. each segment is its own pic, need to fix interceptors/ufo issues on the map.