97 replies to this topic

#1 nixnihil

nixnihil

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 05:32 AM

Haha, okay pardon my bitterness for wanting to start a fresh topic and finding other people have already done it :S

Okay, first of all, I'd just like to get some ideas in the air:

- We ARE basing this on the concept art for the Artopod right? That monstrosity with 3 legs, 2 guns, a thorax, and head?

see:
Artopod Thread

- How many eyes will the final version of that thing actually have?

-What is it "made" out of...i.e. is it mechanical or organic?

-Is it still toting good ol' fashioned heavy plasma?

-What COLOR is it?

-How does it see? (thermal, night vision, brain waves)??

I think that's okay for now...

#2 Anthraxus

Anthraxus

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 06:47 AM

Since the concept is done, the CT should be based on it. About the only thing still in debate is the number of guns that it should have.

The Artopod has 5 "Eyes" one large orb surrounded by four smaller ones.

It is made of Alien Alloys, therefore it is metallic.

It's color is what has become known around here as "irridium sheen". Irridium Sheen Topic

Not sure if anyone has actually discussed what its sight mechanism is. With all of those "eyes" it would probably be multispectrum. Visible, Infrared, Ultraviolet, Sonar, tachyon pulse, who knows.
- Anthraxus
Member of the Old Git Club

"And, as in uffish thought he stood, the Jabberwock, with eyes aflame, came wiffling through the tulgy wood and burbled as it came."

Fortune's Landing LARP - Another of my creations

#3 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 07:58 AM

Sonar is sound, not spectrum. :D

Uh, with all those eyes, is it safe to assume it can see through smoke? Smoke doesn't block ALL light, you know. And will it have perfect vision in the dark? There are even parts of the spectrum that can see through walls. (Like Superman's X-Ray vision :rolleyes: )

I think before deciding the specifics on the eyes, it'd be better to discuss what it can and can't see, as that'd change the specifics in the CT.
Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#4 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:01 AM

It should be assumed that it can see in the dark and through normal smoke, but not through walls or x-corps smoke grenades. (unless there's proff that smoke grenades did not affect their firing solutions in the game) The smoke grenade can include some type of non-carcinogenic particles which disrupt perception.

The Artopod is non-organic, it is totally robotic in nature. It does have the alien alloy body, so the sheen will be there, realise though that sheen hasn't really been shown well in our samples to date. If you've seen certain metallic car finishes where it's one color straight on, and a different color at an angle where the light hits it, that's closer to the effect we want with the alloy sheen. So there will still be underlying textures you'll see.

I would put something about a gyroscope in it, to help explain how it can walk in a smooth stable manner with 3 legs during combat ops. You might get good reference text by searching for the Segway (IIRC), it's a gyro-balanced scooter/platform/doohicky thing.

#5 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 02:10 PM

Remember that the Artopod's progenitor was vlunerable to lasers in Xcom 1. IIRC, its sensor devices specifically.
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#6 nixnihil

nixnihil

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 01:12 PM

okay, I'm going to Mexico for a bit, so I'll think of ideas and present a draft on my return.

#7 Aosar

Aosar

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:59 AM

Here is a short draft on the Artopod...

"The Artopod is a effective mechanical terror weapon. They are often
used in terror attacks agains the populance, but they are more than
able to counter an attack from X-Corps operatives.

The Artopod is apparrently operated via remote control, since the
unit stopped all action and locked in a "standby position." The
Artopod seems to have a very basic A.I. though, we lost two lab
assistants* when they tried to remove the Artopods turret(s), but
aside self preservation, the Artopod is reliant from psionic
control."

* I figure lab assistants are included in the montly expences of the lab, so having them die mid-research isn't a biggie...
-Aosar
-------------------------
Pardon the engrish,
I'm Finnish...
"No Worries!"

#8 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 09:13 AM

I figure lab assistants are included in the montly expences of the lab, so having them die mid-research isn't a biggie...

Don't worry. X-Corps has a very comprehensive insurance plan on all its members and craft. You'll often get money from scientists dying, they're that heavily insured. :naughty:

As a side note, you won't have to worry about craft blowing up, either. They have a full coverage insurance policy, as part of their rent. :)
Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#9 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:47 PM

But what about the Nova or Eclipse? Those don't have rent. :)

Anyway, back on topic:

You should elaborate on everything. For instance, describe How the Artopod has been observed acting at a terror site and compare it to how it acts in containment.

"While in the field, the Artopod has been observed using its devestating weapons against Civilian and Xcorps personell alike, once removed from its commanders (the "Cloaks") then it is incredibly docile, not moving at all unless there is a direct threat to the unit. It appears that the alien self-preservation software is incredibly efficient, almost life like."

Fluffie: "Fred and I were loading this thing into the forklift when it slipped. Apparently, it took this as a theat because a second later, its turret began to swivle, tracking poor Fred. I can still smell the scent of cooked human meat. Its terrible, I can't get it out of my mind. Later that day, I got out of the Quartermaster's division and never looked back. I find it much safer to be an orderly than someone who handles that alien stuff. -Former X-Corps quartermaster, Mitch Crieg. Now employed as an orderly at Boston's institute for the criminally insane.
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

Posted Image

#10 Cpt. Boxershorts

Cpt. Boxershorts

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 05:38 PM

I like the idea that they go (more-or-less) dormant when all the local Cloaks are killed...it makes sense, and it's a neat tidbit of information.

Now, if we could actually have this behavior in the game...after all of the Cloaks are down, you need to go one turn without attacking the artopod, and it'll shut down.

How to capture a live artopod!

-The Captain
"...you're always afraid you'll lose control and wake up some morning with a half-built time machine and a plan to go back in time and pants Hitler."
- A Miracle of Science

Posted Image

#11 Danny252

Danny252

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 05:12 AM

Oh lovely
*Atishoo.. atishoo..*
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
"Oops.. I set off the self destruct device.. damn.."
Last words of Sergant Leia Evans before being blown to bits by the alien self destruct mechanism.

"Hey, look, roasted Greys!"
Colonel Bob Newman, the Sahara, downed Grey scout ship.

#12 MagicAndy

MagicAndy

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 03:08 PM

perhaps not shut down rather do random stuff like spin around or run around randomly or just shoot random stuff (like a panic) i.e. it has some basic circuitry and the gaps are filled by the cloaks

i certainly think the artopods being psyonically controlled is a nice point.

Some points that I think could be added to pad it out:

- dimensions (especially towering and intimidating height)
- origins (manufactured - grown?)
- structure: are they semi organic or simulated organic?
- weakness

#13 Cpt. Boxershorts

Cpt. Boxershorts

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 04:28 PM

IIRC they are strong vs. plasma, weak vs. laser, and immune to stun & psi (being artificial)

-The Captain
"...you're always afraid you'll lose control and wake up some morning with a half-built time machine and a plan to go back in time and pants Hitler."
- A Miracle of Science

Posted Image

#14 Gyrfalcon No'Dessu

Gyrfalcon No'Dessu

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 01:20 AM

However if they are psionically controlled, that means they should be weak to Psi if the nearest cloak is not within x meters. (Where x equals a value that hasn't been defined yet.)

Also, that would mean that your psionic troops could capture and turn artopods on their cloak masters, which might be fun, but sort of defeats the purpose of a terror unit. It's supposed to be a terror to you too, not a helpful ally. *chuckles*

Just a suggestion, but what about something about "study of the Artopod's AI routines reveal that they are quite similar to those used on our XCAPs. It has even been advanced that the Artopods are a direct response to the effectiveness of our XCAPs in the field..."

Therefore, they can act as independent units like the XCAPs, and are mechanical and thus not psionically controlled.

#15 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:21 AM

How about we make the artopods autonomous, like our tanks, but we say something about a command override or something that allows cloaks to instantly take over an errant artopod? Such a override would be psionic, and keyed specifically to Cloak brainwaves, so us psi weenie humans couldn't get control of the unit.

Posted Image

#16 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:13 AM

Another option is to say the Artopods are remotely controlled from the terror ship's computer. The artopod has some sort of receiver which responds to a wide range of modulations, but various inputs that human researchers used do not appear to affect the robot. The aliens use a complex modulation to prevent the transmission from being jacked. Sort of like star trekkers setting their weapons to modulate against the adaptive borg!

I never did like the idea that psi controlled the robot, this gives it more of a mechanical control. Psi works as well, perhaps controlled again from the terror ship you never see.

#17 Aosar

Aosar

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 12:58 PM

Aosar returns with cheese and by cheese I mean artopod entry bits...

A bit modified second paragraph...

The Artopod is apparrently operated via remotely assigned objectives, that the onboard AI with alarming amount of intelligence. However when isolated from the objective feed, the unit stopped all action and locked in a "standby position." The Artopod seems to have a very basic A.I. though, we lost two lab assistants when they tried to remove the Artopods turret(s), but aside self preservation, the Artopod is reliant from psionic control.

Now the question is does the artopod have - what's the word - chiveling turrets?
-Aosar
-------------------------
Pardon the engrish,
I'm Finnish...
"No Worries!"

#18 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 06:38 PM

Aosar returns with cheese and by cheese I mean artopod entry bits...

A bit modified second paragraph...

The Artopod is apparrently operated via remotely assigned objectives, that the onboard AI with alarming amount of intelligence. However when isolated from the objective feed, the unit stopped all action and locked in a "standby position." The Artopod seems to have a very basic A.I. though, we lost two lab assistants when they tried to remove the Artopods turret(s), but aside self preservation, the Artopod is reliant from psionic control.

Now the question is does the artopod have - what's the word - chiveling turrets?

Swiveling turrets?
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#19 Arky

Arky

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 02:51 AM

Okay, I've decided to give in a hand to this one... let me know what you think... -_-

“The Artopod is a effective mechanical terror weapon. Their overwhelming size makes them a weapon of choice when it comes to terror attacks against civilians and poses a serious threat to X-Corps operatives.

Although very little is known about the way it operates, we believe the Artopod is controlled via remote, since the unit stopped responding after it was taken away from it's original location.
Artopod seems to bear a basic essential programming such as motor functions and targeting systems; however it is equipped with a sophisticated self-preservation system that activates once it does not hear from it’s owner after a certain period of time. Once the failsafe activated, the system transfers all remaining power to the dorsal turrets and targeting system and will fire on any targets that it will find. At this point, it is still undetermined if the Artopod is reliant from psionic control."
- Arky
"Buddhists believes in Nirvana, X-COM fans believes in Genesis."

Haunted by Ethereals in your dreams?
Think you're chased by a lobsterman?
You neighbor's favorite pet is a Brainsucker?
All that means you've been affected by the X-COM Syndrome.

Posted Image

#20 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 07:08 AM

Seeing how this guy is totally robotic, I still have a hard time believing it's operated or controlled with mind powers- I imagine Yoda with a joystick giggling away... Perhaps a line about how the researchers found what appears to be a receiver immersed in an elecrically receptive gel. Tests have not shown an ability to "take over" control or disrupt actions, but it appears some form of remote control is used to supliment the units basic search and destroy programming.

#21 Arky

Arky

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 04:28 PM

Okay, I've reworked it a bit more to include your suggestions. here it is:

"The Artopod is a effective mechanical terror weapon. Although very little is known about the way it operates, we believe the Artopod is controlled via remote, thus enabling the robot’s true potential of destruction. Researchers found what appears to be a receiver immersed in an electrically receptive gel. However, tests have failed to identify if the Artopod is controlled under psionic control or by conventional means.

Artopods seems to bear a basic essential programming such as motor functions and targeting systems; however it is equipped with a sophisticated self-preservation system that activates once it does not hear from it’s owner after a certain period of time. Once the failsafe activated, the system transfers all remaining power to the weapons and targeting system and will fire on any targets that it will find.

Their overwhelming size makes them a weapon of choice when it comes to terror attacks against civilians and poses a serious threat to X-Corps operatives."

Edited by Arky, 14 May 2004 - 01:31 AM.

- Arky
"Buddhists believes in Nirvana, X-COM fans believes in Genesis."

Haunted by Ethereals in your dreams?
Think you're chased by a lobsterman?
You neighbor's favorite pet is a Brainsucker?
All that means you've been affected by the X-COM Syndrome.

Posted Image

#22 Hailfire22

Hailfire22

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 550 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 05:06 PM

Here's my first go at writing in the CTD. :master:

Data Entry ATW-32c
Name: Artopod
Designation: Alien Terror Weapon
Associated w/: Cloaks

The artopod is by far the most advanced, largest, and deadly of the alien's weapons. With it's dual plasma mounts and heavy armor is has become one of the most feared devices the aliens field on the battlefield. It seems the aliens deploy this walker as a support unit for their troops, using it's rapid rate of fire and large size to cause fear and terror in the ranks of the opposition. It has been observed though that without any cloaks in the vicinity the artopod self-destructs in a large blast, usually killing any soldiers in close range and vaporizing itself. Because of this it is theorize that the artopod contains some of the aliens most advanced technology and therefore far to important to allow into enemy hands. We STRONGLY advise the salvaging of one so that we can analyze the composition of it's armor, weapons, and hardware.

"It was bad enough when Jerry started going crazy and shooting at Ed, but then that, that thing with the glowing lights came.......it was horrible......I never want to see anything like that ever again."
-Pvt. Harrison, after the failed defense of Toronto.

Edit: Oh, and just ranting but, it's a sick world when you have to see your name in PINK, no wait, i mean MAGENTA! For the love of God, make my name any other color!

Edited by Hailfire22, 14 October 2004 - 05:38 PM.

#23 RustedSoul

RustedSoul

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 477 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 07:45 PM

Hailfire22

but you're so pretty.. oh so pretty..

merged :)

see what you can use here to fluff it up a bit.

#24 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• 1,028 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:44 PM

"the aliens field on the battlefied" sounds a little odd.

altogether very good!

Here I go an angry brother gonna make his move
But can I buck him in the city so I never lose?
See I'm a get him in the crowd with a couple heavies
And lay the barrel to the ground, hold the gat steady
And now I'm ready for my adversary, talk is cheap
I'm looking for a way to make a plan gonna keep it neat
So don't be telling me to get the non-violent spirit
'cause when I'm violent is the only time the devils hear it
'cause all I want to see is m****f***ing brains hanging

Posted Image

#25 Qonfused

Qonfused

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 04:10 AM

"We STRONGLY advise the salvaging of one so that we can analyze the composition of it's armor, weapons, and hardware."

I thought you needed a live specimen to do species research?

And the player might have a specimen allready?

Edited by Qonfused, 15 October 2004 - 04:11 AM.

My doctor says that I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therfore exused from saving Universes.

#26 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• 1,028 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 04:52 AM

Oh yeah, that passage reads funny too. It should probably be something like:

"We strongly advise that X-Corps takes pains to salvage a functioning specimine..."

The unchanged passage is written in the passive voice and that's a no no for academic writing. There must always be a subject and a verb... someone to do the action.. in the passive voice the action seems to be doing itself.

Edited by fux0r666, 15 October 2004 - 04:54 AM.

Posted Image

#27 Hailfire22

Hailfire22

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 550 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 09:29 AM

Oh yeah, that passage reads funny too.  It should probably be something like:

"We strongly advise that X-Corps takes pains to salvage a functioning specimine..."

The unchanged passage is written in the passive voice and that's a no no for academic writing.  There must always be a subject and a verb... someone to do the action.. in the passive voice the action seems to be doing itself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, I see what you mean. Of course now that I have all this new info to use I might just redo the whole think OR work on something else, seeing how someone has done the artopods already. <_<

#28 RustedSoul

RustedSoul

Creative Text Department

• 477 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 09:28 PM

It was being worked on awhile ago, but it does'nt appear finished in my eyes. I would appreciate it if you continued with it and finished it up. Infact we all would :)

But it's upto you though ^_^

#29 Hailfire22

Hailfire22

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 550 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 06:11 PM

It was being worked on awhile ago, but it does'nt appear finished in my eyes. I would appreciate it if you continued with it and finished it up. Infact we all would :)

But it's upto you though  ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, I'll give it another go but I think I'm gonna do the autopsy first. Got some real good ideas on how to explain their resistance to plasma and weakness for lasers. ^_^ After that I'll go ahead and redo the live artopod entry. Sound good?

#30 RustedSoul

RustedSoul

Creative Text Department

• 477 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 09:06 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, I'll give it another go but I think I'm gonna do the autopsy first. Got some real good ideas on how to explain their resistance to plasma and weakness for lasers. ^_^ After that I'll go ahead and redo the live artopod entry. Sound good?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I said m8, it's up to you :)

#31 Qonfused

Qonfused

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:55 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

eeeeh, im doing the autopsy now.
if you got any sugestions though, i would be happy to hear them.

Edited by Qonfused, 18 October 2004 - 10:56 AM.

My doctor says that I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therfore exused from saving Universes.

#32 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:15 PM

Here's my Artopod entry, based on all posts here.
Qonfused, these cts are done among everyone, if he posts the autopsy before you, you can help him, and viceversa, it's all about cooperation :happybanana:

ARTOPOD
X-NET ENTRY//837277.530/BETACL/FA/A-2/PERSEUSNET/ALIEN/STUDIES/ARTOPOD

Our operatives have managed to obtain a functional specimen of the robotic walkers that have been seen in Alien terror sites. They have been named Artopods.
The Artopod is a very effective Alien mechanical terror weapon. Deployed by the Aliens in Terror Sites, Artopods are always found in company of the psi-capable Cloaks, a combination of deadly proportions.

Standing nearly two meters high, the sole sight of the robot is enough to cause fear wherever it is deployed. It is metallic in appearance; however, no known metal has been detected in it, we already know from reports is that it is highly resistant, even immune to laser and plasma weaponry, an autopsy should reveal more information regarding the materials it has been constructed with and further possible exploitable weaknesses.

Only basic circuitry has been found in the robot, most possibly the responsible for the self-defense mechanisms, this leaves open for discussion how the Artopod executes its advanced attack routines. Further analysis into the walker’s AI routines is recommended in order to prepare a more effective battle plan against it.

Although very little is known about the way it operates, but judging from the lack of very complex circuitry, we believe the Artopod is controlled via remote, possibly through a psionic link, as these robots seem to be capable of coordinating their attacks with deadly effectiveness while in company of Cloaks, and because of the fact that it has been observed that Artopods without the presence of a Cloak in their immediate vicinity seem to enter a docile state in which they attack only when meeting a clear threat.

Artopods seems to bear a basic essential programming such as motor functions and targeting systems; however, they are equipped with a sophisticated self-preservation system that activates once they lose contact with their masters. Once the failsafe is activated the Artopods enter the already mentioned “docile state” in which they pose no real threat unless attacked.

Despite all evidence, tests have failed to identify the psionic link between the Artopod and its presumed Cloak masters. If we could, it would be a weakness that could be taken advantage of by our troops, somehow disrupting the psionic link; nevertheless, this is all speculation since we have no proof of such link or a way of disrupting it. It has also been suggested that these walkers are controlled by the Terror Ship’s main computer; however, no radio signals or any other sort of energy wave has been detected while on the battlefield from or to the Artopods, no signals that our equipment could detect, being unable to detect it, we cannot hope to jam it in order to gain advantage.

The Artopods are something to be very careful about, their powerful weaponry and uncanny coordination makes them formidable enemies. They pose a sound threat to all civilian population and to our operatives themselves, caution must be exercised when facing them on the battlefield.

Attached Files

#33 Hailfire22

Hailfire22

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 550 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:23 PM

It is metallic in appearance; however, no known metal has been detected in it, we already know from reports is that it is highly resistant, even immune to laser and plasma weaponry, an autopsy should reveal more information regarding the materials it has been constructed with and further possible exploitable weaknesses.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wait.....so the artopod is immune to almost all of the advanced technology (fusion weapons being the only thing left)? Or is it still going to be immune to only plasma? If it's only plasma then my idea that I PM'ed Qonfused is alright but if not then we'll have to ditch it.

#34 Qonfused

Qonfused

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:33 PM

Qonfused, these cts are done among everyone, if he posts the autopsy before you, you can help him, and viceversa, it's all about cooperation  :happybanana:

yea i know, i just didn't want him wasting his time seeing how im was allmost done when i posted that. :crying:

ill prob look at you'r entry somtime tomorow, now its sleeping time.

#35 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:36 PM

Actually, I'm not sure about its weaknesses, just think I read something like that, does anybody has an idea?

#36 RustedSoul

RustedSoul

Creative Text Department

• 477 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 08:45 PM

Reference: paragraph 2

It is metallic in appearance; however, no known metal has been detected in it, we already know from reports is that it is highly resistant, even immune to laser and plasma weaponry, an autopsy should reveal more information regarding the materials it has been constructed with and further possible exploitable weaknesses

Suggestion

It is metallic in appearance; with traces of extremely advanced metal composites that are reported to be highly resistant to most of our earlier and current weapon technology. An autopsy should reveal more information regarding the materials it has been constructed with and further possible exploitable weaknesses

Edited by RustedSoul, 18 October 2004 - 10:08 PM.

#37 Cpt. Boxershorts

Cpt. Boxershorts

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 453 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:01 PM

Quick note, this comma shouldn't be there in this version.

It is metallic in appearance; with traces of extremely advanced metal composites that are reportedly, highly resistant to most of our earlier and current weapon technology. An autopsy should reveal more information regarding the materials it has been constructed with and further possible exploitable weaknesses

-The Captain
- A Miracle of Science

Posted Image

#38 RustedSoul

RustedSoul

Creative Text Department

• 477 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:04 PM

Thanks Cpt. Boxershorts :D

#39 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• 1,028 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:11 PM

I do not see a reason for your comma. It is not a list of nouns nor a list of adjectives, nor is it a break between clauses.

Also, it is passive to say that it is reportedly highly resistant. A more exact way to express the sentence would be to say that the chemists and metallurgists that evaluated the material found it to be highly resistent to various forms of stress.

Posted Image

#40 RustedSoul

RustedSoul

Creative Text Department

• 477 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:56 PM

Okay.. so how about?

Standing nearly two meters high, the sole sight of the robot is enough to cause fear wherever it is deployed. Initial tests conducted by scientific personnel indicate traces of extremely advanced metal composites that appear to be highly resistant to most of our earlier weapon technology. An autopsy should reveal more information regarding the materials it has been constructed with and further possible exploitable weaknesses.

Edited by RustedSoul, 18 October 2004 - 11:04 PM.

#41 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• 1,028 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 12:36 AM

Much better!!

A minor continuity error I just realized: I'm not sure how the tree goes, but I think it would be much more likely that the player will encounter a dead artopod before it encounters a live one.. I'm not sure how they can conduct metallurgic inquests on a live artopod save from destroying its weapons and taking it alive down to the firing range...

Edited by fux0r666, 19 October 2004 - 12:37 AM.

Posted Image

#42 Qonfused

Qonfused

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 01:33 AM

I have looked through your entry, and her are some coments:

ARTOPOD

Our operatives have managed to obtain a functional specimen of the robotic walkers that have been seen in Alien terror sites. They have been named Artopods.
The Artopod is a very effective Alien mechanical terror weapon. Deployed by the Aliens in Terror Sites, Artopods are always found in company of the psi-capable Cloaks, a combination of deadly proportions.

Standing nearly two meters high, the sole sight of the robot is enough to cause fear wherever it is deployed. It is metallic in appearance; however, no known metal has been detected in it, we already know from reports is that it is highly resistant, even immune to laser and plasma weaponry, an autopsy should reveal more information regarding the materials it has been constructed with and further possible exploitable weaknesses.

Isn't laser its weaknes? "however, no known metal has been detected in it" i find this to be out of place, why wouldn't it be constructed of alien aloys.

Only basic circuitry has been found in the robot, most possibly the responsible for the self-defense mechanisms, this leaves open for discussion how the Artopod executes its advanced attack routines. Further analysis into the walker’s AI routines is recommended in order to prepare a more effective battle plan against it.

"...,most possibly the responsible for the self-defense mechanisms."

Although very little is known about the way it operates, but judging from the lack of very complex circuitry, we believe the Artopod is controlled via remote, possibly through a psionic link, as these robots seem to be capable of coordinating their attacks with deadly effectiveness while in company of Cloaks, and because of the fact that it has been observed that Artopods without the presence of a Cloak in their immediate vicinity seem to enter a docile state in which they attack only when meeting a clear threat.

I don't think i agrre with you on the thesis that the Artopod lacks complex circuity, a more complex AI would explain its ability to respond without commands, though it would't stand in the way of it being romotly controled. the complex AI would kick in when there is no control.

Artopods seems to bear a basic essential programming such as motor functions and targeting systems; however, they are equipped with a sophisticated self-preservation system that activates once they lose contact with their masters. Once the failsafe is activated the Artopods enter the already mentioned “docile state” in which they pose no real threat unless attacked.

see above. Q; is this based on the Sectopod's behavior in x-com:ufo defence

Despite all evidence, tests have failed to identify the psionic link between the Artopod and its presumed Cloak masters. If we could, it would be a weakness that could be taken advantage of by our troops, somehow disrupting the psionic link; nevertheless, this is all speculation since we have no proof of such link or a way of disrupting it. It has also been suggested that these walkers are controlled by the Terror Ship’s main computer; however, no radio signals or any other sort of energy wave has been detected while on the battlefield from or to the Artopods, no signals that our equipment could detect, being unable to detect it, we cannot hope to jam it in order to gain advantage.

no problems here, i like it

The Artopods are something to be very careful about, their powerful weaponry and uncanny coordination makes them formidable enemies. They pose a sound threat to all civilian population and to our operatives themselves, caution must be exercised when facing them on the battlefield.

"The Artopods are something to be very careful about" i don't think this is how a academic would formulate it, how about somthing like; "The Artopod is not to be taken lightly, as it poses a great threat to both civilians and xcorp operatives."

-------

I like most of this, the problem is that we don't seem to have the same opinion on how to explain the Artopods Behavior. maybe im wrong though, i havn't been able to accsess the liberary. and haven't gotten hold of the "Artopod Conspet"

#43 RustedSoul

RustedSoul

Creative Text Department

• 477 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 01:37 AM

LOL, ok let's work with it..

Standing nearly two meters high, the sole sight of the robot is enough to cause fear wherever it is deployed. Initial observations conducted by scientific personnel indicate exsistance of extremely advanced metal composites that soldiers reported to be highly resistant to most of our standard weapon technology. An autopsy should reveal more information regarding the materials it has been constructed with and further possible exploitable weaknesses.

Edited by RustedSoul, 19 October 2004 - 01:43 AM.

#44 Qonfused

Qonfused

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 02:08 AM

I like it.
though im still not shure you should mention metal in this thread.
meeh, it isn't that big a problem

#45 54x

54x

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 02:11 AM

Remove the reference to earlier research- it's entirely possible to get a live alien before you get one for autopsy. Either they provide seperate information or overlap- but both of them need to be able to stand alone :) Its weakness was to laser (because of its eye) and it was strong against plasma, if I recall. I'd go with:

Standing nearly two meters metres high, the sole sight of the this robot is enough to cause fear wherever it is deployed. It is metallic in appearance, however, no known metal has been detected in it, and its armoured casing indicates high levels of alien alloy- although the robot is too defensive to permit a detailed analysis. we already know from reports is that it is highly resistant, even immune to laser and plasma weaponry, reports from the field indicate that the Artopod is highly resistant to the aliens' plasma weaponry.

FYI, the scientific spelling is metres- the word 'meter' refers to a device that measures something- like an ammeter or a parking meter :)

most possibly the responsible for the self-defense mechanisms

I'm thinking:
it is highly likely that these circuits control basic self-defense functions.

I'd suggest:

Overall, the research division feels that Artopods warrant great caution of behalf of X-Corps troops. Their arsenal of powerful weaponry and uncanny sense of coordinated attack make them dangerous and formidable opponents. They pose a great threat to nearby civilians and to unprepared operatives, and it is highly recommended that all operations proceed with caution when Artopods are present.

#46 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2004 - 10:04 AM

Thank you all for your comments, I'll have a new draft shortly.
Cpt Boxershorts info was immune to psi and stun, weak vs laser and strong vs plasma, any others weaknesses or strong points?
weak vs laser, I know :stupid: , I have to correct that, wasn't sure at the moment.

Edited by Azrael, 19 October 2004 - 10:16 AM.

#47 Hailfire22

Hailfire22

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 550 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 12:36 PM

Cpt Boxershorts info was immune to psi and stun, weak vs laser and strong vs plasma, any others weaknesses or strong points?
weak vs laser, I know :stupid: , I have to correct that, wasn't sure at the moment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are not the "eyes" also a weak point? I mean, if you can destroy or blind them then no matter how much firepower the thing has it can't aim at all. Not to mention the original sectopod had a weak spot in the central hub/visor/thing. Of course in actual game play it didn't ^_^

#48 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2004 - 05:27 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are not the "eyes" also a weak point? I mean, if you can destroy or blind them then no matter how much firepower the thing has it can't aim at all. Not to mention the original sectopod had a weak spot in the central hub/visor/thing. Of course in actual game play it didn't ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not in-game weakness, but that can be mentioned though...

#49 Hailfire22

Hailfire22

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 550 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:31 PM

Not in-game weakness, but that can be mentioned though...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It could add some nice fluff but then it might be misleading <_< Guess it's up to you.

#50 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:12 AM

Ok, considering all suggestions, here's version 1.2, hope it works better with Qonfused's ideas.

ARTOPOD

Standing nearly two metres high, the sole sight of the robot is enough to cause fear wherever it is deployed. Initial observations conducted by scientific personnel indicate existence of extremely advanced metallic composites which reports from the battlefield indicate to be highly resistant to most of our standard weapon technology, high levels of the mysterious Alien Alloys have also been detected; the autopsy should reveal more information regarding the materials it has been constructed with and further possible exploitable weaknesses.

Although very little is known about the way it operates, but judging from the lack of very complex circuitry, we believe the Artopod is controlled via remote, possibly through a psionic link, as these robots seem to be capable of coordinating their attacks with deadly effectiveness while in company of Cloaks, and because of the fact that it has been observed that Artopods without the presence of a Cloak in their immediate vicinity seem to radically modify their behavior, changing tactics from a coordinated attack to a full assault on any hostile units, not taking either theirs or their kin’s safety into consideration. Our scientists believe that without the control that Cloaks hold over the robots, some sort of AI kicks in and takes control of the walker; however we still have not data on this “rogue” AI.

Artopods seems to bear a basic essential programming such as motor functions and targeting systems; however, they are equipped with a sophisticated emergency system that activates once they lose contact with their masters. Once the failsafe is activated the Artopods enter the already mentioned “berserker state” in which they pose a bigger threat than before, always resulting in unpredictable behavior.

Despite all evidence, tests have failed to identify the psionic link between the Artopod and its presumed Cloak masters. If we could, it would be a weakness that could be taken advantage of by our troops, somehow disrupting the psionic link; nevertheless, this is all speculation since we have no proof of such link or a way of disrupting it. A less supported theory is that these walkers are controlled by the Terror Ship’s main computer; however, no radio signals or any other sort of energy wave has been detected while on the battlefield from or to the Artopods, no signals that our equipment could detect, being unable to detect it, we cannot hope to jam it in order to gain advantage.

Overall, our Research Division feels that Artopods represent great danger to all X-Corps personnel on the field. Their arsenal of powerful weaponry and uncanny sense of coordinated attack make them dangerous and formidable opponents. They pose a major threat to all civilians and to unprepared operatives, and it is highly recommended that all operations proceed with caution when Artopods are present.