XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xcom Names

hey learned peoples..

i was just wondering, is it possible to change the default xcom names, and if so, where do i go to do it? or is it alot harder then i think?

to clarify, instead of kazuya kiriama showing up as the default, i just want it to show Hutch or Doggy or Sam, instead of the whole name and surname thing. :hammer: :wave: :sly:

hey learned peoples..

i was just wondering, is it possible to change the default xcom names, and if so, where do i go to do it? or is it alot harder then i think?

to clarify, instead of kazuya kiriama showing up as the default, i just want it to show Hutch or Doggy or Sam, instead of the whole name and surname thing. :hammer:  :wave:  :sly:

Hmm.. Good question. It does take the names by random from somewhere but I don't know if it's possible to change them. SupSuper or J'ordos mighnt know a solution to this one.

get out your trusty hex editor and use it on the main .exe for the CE, or the ufoexe for the DOS version (I think). Search for one of the names(text string), first or surname, they're all placed together. Then you'd have to edit the first names, and replace the surnames by blanks (I think :) )

A program that opens up a binary file and allows you to edit each byte in the file as hexadecimal values (base 16 numbers).

You can also use MS-Edit's binary mode if you want, but it's very hard to master compared to a standard hex editor. Google might be able to help.

Geoscape.exe is the file you want to look if you're editing the dos version.

- NKF

• 1 month later...

So, this is probably a dead issue... but wouldn't it be easier to just click on the name in the Soldiers statistics screen, backspace over the name, and change it to whatever you want?

I mean... am I totally misunderstanding the question here? A hex editor? Name changing is a basic part of the interface and he's been advised to use a hex editor? I don't get that.

He wanted to change the list of default names that the game draws from to put together its random names.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, the original messed up names that weren't compying with ye ole good English standard, see "Boris Gorokhova". So, I say, don't care, or just replace names that imply their user's gender.

• 1 month later...

(i wonder if they used a Hex Editor when they customized stuff in Hex?)

Hmm... wouldn't they have to be at the same length to not mess everything up?

quantifier: It is an ascii editor, but it can also open files in binary mode. Check the screenshot

- NKF

mseditb.gif

Unfortunately, no. I often have to resort to copy and paste for those, or I use ctrl+p+letter of the alphabet for values 1 to 26 (0x01 to 0x1A). 0's are easy. Plenty of them around, so I just copy and paste for them.

- NKF

Actually, there are two versions of MS-Edit. Distinct versions, I mean. The original, which came with MS-Dos 6.x. It was bundled along with QBasic. In fact, it was QBasic - just the editing part, because you could initiate it by running Qbasic with an additional switch. I think it was /E or somesuch. This version of edit came in the form of a .com file, and refused to run without qbasic.exe.

Now, with Windows 95 and upwards, we have a stand-alone version of MS-Edit that came in the form of an .exe file. This one offered binary editing.

Windows NT never came with it for some reason. 95, 98 and XP definitely have it. Not too sure about 2000 and ME having little experience with them.

- NKF