XCOMUFO & Xenocide

? ART-Model Concepts

Deimos

Sadly it is not free... I dont think they will be interested in an Open Source development like us...

[quote][b]The FBX Toolkit[/b]
Kaydara licenses partners the FBX SDK, an easy-to-use C++ software development toolkit that allows tool and hardware vendors to read and write the format. API licensing is done on a flat-fee, per-year basis. Kaydara also provides conversion software allowing application and content vendors to propagate their existing commercial and demo content into the FBX format with a minimum of effort.[/quote]

Greetings
Red Knight

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, here's one for you. How are we doing buildings? Are there going to be just the individual wall tiles, or are we able to design whole buildings? I wanted to experiment with doing some buildings in various architectural styles, but I don't want to break with what's established, if there is anything established.

I know about the 4 or 5 building segments in the asset list, but wasn't sure if those are the "set" way to go or not.

It'd be nice to be able to have some colonial styles in Eastern US, thatch roofs and wood beam buildings in Asia, huts and sod houses in Africa, etc. These things seem kind of hard to do with just the wall tiles. Any recommendations?

The reason I did the walls/floors/ceilings in those chunks was to make it easy to destroy due to weapon fire. I thought it would also allow recycling of pieces, but since each building will need to be assembled anyway that doesn't work out that way. The key was making sure that weapons could destroy chunks of equal size throughout to maintain that aspect of gameplay from the original. I was using textures to get a different look, I have about 200 textures ranging from rock, carpet, paint, stucco, even asian walls.

You should be able to make regional versions of the walls/ceilings, etc that match for different continents. I don't see why you'd have to use the pieces already in the assetlist. Just maintain the fixed-size chunks so we can shoot it all up! :D