XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - XC33 Vengeance

Vaaish

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='drewid' date='Nov 11 2003, 05:54 PM']That's superb, the shine is spot on.
erm...
Dare I ask the poly question?[/quote]
about 800 plys

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='Nov 11 2003, 07:04 PM']Thats it? Wow.[/quote]
yeah, sorry forgot to add that I haven't textured the interior yet. thats why tere are no pics of it.

[quote name='Vaaish' date='Nov 11 2003, 07:02 PM'][quote name='drewid' date='Nov 11 2003, 05:54 PM'] That's superb, the shine is spot on.
erm...
Dare I ask the poly question?[/quote]
about 800 plys [/quote]
smart!

The number of triangles in a model, referred to as "polys" for the most part. The video card can draw X triangles per second, this is divided by the number of polys to get the frames per second. It's probably not that cut and dry, but works here I hope. We want to keep the polys in each model down so that we can have as many models in the battlescape as possible without slowing the framerate down too much.

Somewhat related, I was surprised by the lack of detail in the UFO:Aftermath aliens. I tried the demo and was unimpressed by the gameplay as well as model detail. They give you a close-up view of each alien the first time you see it, and they looked like a textured blob for the most part. Nowhere near the quality of what we're seeing here.

Remember that they are specifically trying to cater to older, less effective systems. Also, they are trying to make money (and by extension get the game out in a reasonable time) so they didn't have 4 years to create the graphics engine.

But yeah, our models are way better! :)

• 1 month later...
ok finally got some time on my hands so I'm starting to finish up my models.

here is the interior and landing gear of Avenger making this model fully textured and finished.

I did go back and add in a few hidden faces so that when the top of the hull is occluded to see the troops inside we don't get a weird edge. that brings the total polys to around 830-840 IIRC

Yeah, there are benches along the walls next to the rear hatch. Only 1 hour? Imagine the Cydonia trip! They pass around a bucket to collect "waste", then dump it out a bay door without losing air pressure. Sure is nice the game doesn't require nit-picky details like that...

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='Dec 23 2003, 02:17 PM']So there are no seats to sit in on those long, 1 hour flights around the world? :P[/quote]
If I added individual seats I'd be well over my limit so I'm sticking with the benches. We can say that the bathroom facilities are behind that door leading to the cockpit, a little off to the side though I think it would be a little difficult to get out of the power armor to go. :)

[quote name='red knight' date='Jun 4 2003, 05:12 PM']We will keep GF2 until we cannot do something we want with it... There is a lot of feedback from people that use GF2 hardware (I used it until 2 weeks ago), now I can do better things.

Greetings
Red Knight[/quote]
Very nice work guys, can't wait to see it in the game!

About the geforce2. I think there should be a high-detail texture setting for us with 256-bit 8 pipeline DX9 cards in case you're going to make it smooth on a Geforce2. The Geforce 2 is extremely dated and everyone that still has one should have realized it by now.

My understanding is that the newer cards' chipsets allow for additional features, while the memory on board allows for more textures. The overall speed of the card allows for more polys. So the larger textures are limited by the memory of the card. You could patch the game so that the x-net textures are used in the battlescape perhaps.

But extra features like that would be considered after version 1 due to the additional coding involved.

So older cards get a data set with shrunk textures, no shader effects, no bump mapping, reduced number of particles in particle systems. Newer cards get bigger textures, shader effects, extra texture layers, more particles.

This is one of these things that is very easy to say but might be less easy to do.
be worth sticking with one data set for development, then doing a split at the end.
This is another reason why it's worth working with oversized textures. It's easier to shrink textures that to make them bigger.

• 4 weeks later...
A few months ago, there was a request to see the Avenger with the 'broken glass' texture applied to it and have it compared to the 'subtle' texture. Well in showroom condition here they are sat side by side.

The broken glass version actually has a 1024x1024 map on it and the subtle retains its 512x512 map. Other than that there's a more advanced version of the sheen in play which I've been test refining over the intervening time.

Finally the lighting which has been a bug bear for me for months I've finally cracked and got it animated.

{Attachement removed} Edited by Deimos

Try toning down the sheen some what and make it irregular, like the specular map I sent with the files I gave you, or apply that on there that should greatly improve the look of them. right now I'm not fond of the overpowering sheen. Also is this the new model I sent you? I thought I got the soft edge problem fixed. That is also detracting from the model

That's going in the right direction, I definietly prefer the newer one. :rock:

Sounds like the maps are huge though. don't forget a 1024 sq map is 16 times the memory of a 256 sq. I still constantly surprise myself at how small a map you can get away with without losing visual quality.

Still leave it for now I guess, we can see if we can get away with it from a memory point of view.

Vaaish, no the model is still the v2 one. I haven't used the newer one yet. I'm waiting till we can have a chat about the higher poly version before using the newer ones.

Drewid, the 1024 map isn't for in game, I'm using as high a quality as possible for the movies. Heck I might even go higher still :D but as you said working with the higher res images and then converting down later is the way to go I think. Though UT2003 uses a 1024 map for the facial detail and another for the body. Edited by Deimos

[quote name='Deimos' date='Jan 21 2004, 10:28 AM']Vaaish, no the model is still the v2 one. I haven't used the newer one yet. I'm waiting till we can have a chat about the higher poly version before using the newer ones.

Drewid, the 1024 map isn't for in game, I'm using as high a quality as possible for the movies. Heck I might even go higher still :D but as you said working with the higher res images and then converting down later is the way to go I think. Though UT2003 uses a 1024 map for the facial detail and another for the body.[/quote]
It might be awhile before I can get on IM again, if you need to contact me, PM or email.