XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART-Baseview Assets

Vaaish

Ok here is what I'm working on.

so far access lift and barracks.

THe images all have the corridors attached to them however in the actual game the engine should attach these if there is not an existing corridor. And of course corridors with no rooms beyond will be locked from the player.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest drewid
Like the overall feel of these. The corridor shapes are nice and the doors look solid and industrial.

Barracks - Nice. I like the built-in kitchen area and the screen on the wall. the bench table makes sense too, in fact the whole thing does.

There was talk of making the living quarters two floors.
but as long as troopers hot swapped bunks in shifts (like on a sub) then you could fit 50 (well 48) in here no trouble. No toilets though :D

Glad you like them. I'll get them over ASAP.

I was thinking about putting a bathroom and shower in but I just couldn't find a good place. I guess we can just say there are restrooms scattered around the base

I've included a pic of the lab, the table is barren but once props are made and placed on the table it should fill up nicely.
edit: that was a horrible pic... here are some better ones

ok instead of doing the radar I decided to go for the workshop. here are the pics of it. These are about 90% finished all I need to do is add in a few robot arms or something on the blank spots to look like something is being constructed.

Those are looking very good! A bit dark on my screen, may just be me but the darkness/contrast level makes it hard to pick things out.

could you post some screenshots with edged faces? this could perhaps help.

If those are for the baseview, then it could use some more gadgets.

And a toilet??????? What do you think the hyper-wave decoder are filled with???? The soldiers just have to keep it in untill you research it. :D Edited by mikker

Breunor... you are right they are kind of dark... I found an extra light that I though was deleted so maya wasn't using default lights

here is a pic of the finished workshop.

Mikker, yes they are baseview. I believe I mentioned they were rather barren because the props aren't made. I would hope that eventually there will be quite a few more objects in there.

Those will look great, I'm sure we can round up some more goodies to put in there once critical items are completed.

Hey Vaaish -

Guus put together a small concept baseview, just a little program really, but I think it would be great i you two hook up. You put your facilitiies in his program, and we all get to see how they look!

Obviously, just a pre-alpha type of thing, but it would be nice.

Excellent work,
Gold

I' try to get ahold of him.

anywy I finished up the small radar module. All things considered I'll start the storage module or hanger later today depending on work schedule.

To get around the problem of having 2 story module walls obscure other modules I've kept all of the walls at 1 story and allowed the equiptment to rise to 2 stories.

I gather this is for baseview and not battlescape?
As the original had TWO stories for each section. One lower just being corridors and the upper featuring the gadgets.
But that maybe is to be dropped? (How'd base fights go then?)

These are just base view but if possible I would like to use them for battlescape as well.

Some sections(modules) are 2 stories one being the Radar that I just completed. However when the walls are popped up to 2 stories it has a bad tendency to obscure portions of the modules next to it.

to fix this I'm leaving the walls at one story and any equiptment that would extend two stories does. (eg looks at the height of the radar array)

I am not sure I follow you about the lower story being corridors and the upper being gadgets. it would seem unnecessary to have a ton of mazelike corridors below the rooms not to mention a hastle to properly connect them to the upper portion.

basically I am making each module to be linked together by the 1 meter wide corridors containing the doors. What I was hoping to do was have the engine automatically insert the connection corridors on the exits of the module if these corridors are not present.

eg.

[code]    |=| is a corrodor

|=|
 =    =
   |=|

ok this is the existing module with the corridors placed automatically by the engine. because no other modules are connected in battlescape the engine would tag these doors as permanently locked and will not open them

when we add another module the corridors added would look like this id connected to the right side of the existing module.

|=|
        =
   |=|

the engine would then tag the right door as unlocked and would either open if the player got close enough or if the player told one of the soldiers to open it.

The final combinations would look like this

|=|  |=|
 =    +     =
   |=|  |=|

the plus indicates an unlocked door.[/code]

Since all the modules are linked by these corridors there isn't any need for a maze structure of corridors on another level.

ok meet the tactical nightmare: base storage facility. small corridors, spotty cover, and watch out for guys up top.

That leaves only the hanger to do and then the tops for battlescape.

[quote name='Vaaish' date='Jun 13 2003, 09:24 PM']I am not sure I follow you about the lower story being corridors and the upper being gadgets. it would seem unnecessary to have a ton of mazelike corridors below the rooms not to mention a hastle to properly connect them to the upper portion.[/quote]
Sure, it's waste of space. But that's how it was in the original, that's all i'm saying. :)

about base-fights, what about that the thirth floor is above ground? Then aliens could enter it by blasten open from over the first floor factilitys. Then they could enter if you have any radar equiptment at that moment.

an idea that Deimos had and we talked about for awhile is simply capping the modules with a roof.

two story modules reach up two stories but the second story has no floor(eg the radar module)

other modues such as the barracks and lag are capped at their current height. I'll make some pics better explaining it later.

here are what those modules would look like in battlescape. When your troops enter a module and the camera is outside the walls of the module the cap segment of the module bcome semi transparent like shown in these pics.

these are for the 3 story radar array and 1 story barracks.

again when the camera is zoomed or panned inside of the walls they become solid. This allows for the multistory base facilities in battlescape and adds a bit more variety to the tactical situation.

In some of the multistory ones floaters could be present near the ceilings or hiding on the supper shelves of the storage area giving them a little tactical advantage with flight, but in single story areas like the barracks this would be negated and other enemies like chryssalids could have the tactical advantage of jumping out of darkened bunks at your soldiers caught in a crampped area.

I have to disagree with the comment that there were corridors under the base in xcom1. I don't remember anything like that. Your battlescape consisted of the various facilities on a single floor, connected by the doorways. I have no recollection of anything else. Maybe I have a brain tumor though, does naybody else remember tunnels? Maybe that was from another xcom game?

Those models are looking great Vaaish. What's the scale? (Just kidding! :devillaugh: )

[quote name='Breunor' date='Jun 14 2003, 05:05 PM']Those models are looking great Vaaish. What's the scale? (Just kidding! :devillaugh: )[/quote]
thx... and they are scaled to 2 meters... at least they were until I forgot I had changed my grid to .5 meter for some fine adjustments and freaked out when my armor was what I thought was 4 meters tall.. it was quickly corrected by changing the grid back to the proper 1 meter blocks for more course movement. :)

My vote is to use the same models. When we add in the poly count for the troops and aliens we aren't going to have much to spare on superdetailed models for the base. I've built these high enough poly that with good textures adding more detail really won't help. However There are still several props that still need to be made. the major one would be a cargo dolly, autopsy table in the lab and equiptment on the table.

also using the same models makes is a bit easier on the art department. We don't have to double up on every item.

agree.

But i can still imaginate that you have a waaay closer look in battlescape: so you don't see all the base. This way, the entire thing can have little poly-lift.

Hey -

Also, for the Battlescape view. As the CTD people write up the Facilities, they are adding interesting little details that would most likely be visable during battle. In the access lift, things like a small armorary(sp?) locker and security kiosk (think really high-tech kiosk, not local mall kiosk :D ). In the labratory, there will certainly be more things of that nature.

So all I'm saying is, to create deeper immersion and interest, I'm thinking that the Battlescape version will have to be slightly more detailed. Although, its not a lot, so I don't think it will really be that much more work for the modelers.

Thanks,
Gold

those things all fall under props. and well the props aren't done. Basically when they are we place the props in the modules and then we can do wonderful things like have them blow up etc :)

@mikker: most of the modules are running about 600 polys w/o props add int another 200 to 400 for the props and we are up to an aditional 1000 polys per modules plus the 2 or so modules that don't need many props are are at 1200 polys right now.

now say we bring in 20 soldiers all at 1500 ppolys plus 500 for weapons. so now we are at 2000 polys per trooper we are now at 40,000 polys just for the troops alone plus say that at max they can see into the modules on each side so in someplace like an access lift surrounded by modules we get another 5000 polys for all the modules they can see. next we add in the aliens which say are in groups of 3 there is another 6000 polys. now we are at approximately 51,000 polys for the entre scene. and personally even with culling and limited distance rendering that massed groups of soldiers starting is the back of an avenger is going to be a performace killer. once the troops spread out it will be more like 3 soldiers together so probably more in the terms of 13- 14,000 polys when they meet up with a group of aliens. Now if you want to go and add in civilians we get even more polys on screen at once.

basically it would seem at worst case we have 52,000 polys being rendered at one time (adding in an avenger to the mix)

at best case probably 14,000 polys. now do we really want to add in more minute details that really just boil down to eye candy? Not really. Basically if the detail is necessary for getting across that this is the lab, then by all means lets put in the props. if not we leave them out and use the polys on areas where we need the detail.

Consider that a terror site might have a dozen buildings each running 2K-3K or more, and the numbers you're talking about are in line. The battelscape buildings are built in chunks that mimic the tile system used in the original. The base could have up to 36 facilities, so that should be the number to aim for as max.

The following is by no means official, just something I came across showing GeForce2 GTS performance. Using 8 light sources, it was able to draw about 4 million polys per second. Dividing by 40 frames per second gives about 100,000 polys per frame. There are lots of other factors involved I expect, like the amount of texturing memory used and other factors, but from a pure poly limit view perhaps this is accurate? I have no idea. The site is [url="http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce2_gts/3dmark2000.shtml"]here,[/url] if someone is interested.

Texturing, lights and all that stuff affect pretty hard the GPU, but think that at 40 FPS you are pretty well over the needed for this kind of game... for Example GeForceFX can render 100000 per frame at 75 with specular lighting and a lot of stuff... And at the time we will be ready for battlescape that figure would jump higher... so our low end system will have a pretty big boost in performance too...

So dont worry too much about poly limits (our poly limits are ideas not targets), if you can get the same quality with less polys then do it, but dont get insane with optimization for now. After we find the bottleneck (if it exists) we profile and optimize... Someone told me once: "Premature optimization is the root of all evil"... Dont know who was the one that he quoted, but he is completly true...

Greetings
Red Knight

So while the US government might spend $400US for a toilet seat, it shouldn't also cost 400 polys, right? :D

I'm not good int doing architecture. But I'm more then willingly to help doing models in the rooms.
I've made some stuff that could be used as Mind Shield Generator and Grav Shield Generator or Hyperwave decoder.
By the way GJ Vaaish!!
;O)

Best Regards
/
Ion

Looking at the specs it think it might be better suited for alien equipment possibly the alien exam or surjury props.

If you have stuff that looks like an autopsy table or maybe lab equipment (test tubes, racks, bunson burners, etc) that would a great help. though it is necessary that the items be kepts near 50 polys except the operating table that can be more like 150. for the accesss lift I was hoping to have a small dolly in there with a box on it to spice the place up a bit. again it needs to be kept at 100 poly.

I'll be better able to know what props are needed for the remaining rooms as I make them since alot of times I have to make the prop with the archatecture or leave the room unrecognizable.

for the defense genreators like mind shield grav shield and hyperwave decoder I'm planning on kepping the rooms based off a similar design. the same goes for the missile defense systems etc. though for the energy weapons I'll replace teh extra missile stores with generator equiptment.

all things considered I'll probably have either the large radar or some of the defensive structure done tonight. Edited by Vaaish

Ok I've finished up the large radar, it is similar to the small one but I think that it is different enough to not be easily confused. I decided for continuity to just duplicate the old dish and enlarge it. Edited by Vaaish

I'm thinking about going on to the defense sysyems next and I was wondering what the opinion would be of perhaps having the ops bunker cover 2 of the doors so to get to the part of module containing the weapons systems you would have to enter from a different door.

A humble suggestion here a bunker should be built with a single concept in mind: Once the troops have entered into it should be suicidal to make a forced entry (for the Enemy that is).
The Architecture of a defensive bunker, is optimal with guard stations at the entry points (possibly containing murder holes and or turret mounts to increase efficiency).
If any of you have played Medal of Honor, there are some usefull examples there, some maps . If on top of that you add some Sci-Fi Defence concepts (laser-triggered retractable turrets, murder holes with auto-canon mounts, etc.)then I think thats what we need.

Let me know if I'm on target :unsure:
(Still haven't read through all the topics concerning style and if remember correctly there are misions on base).