XCOMUFO & Xenocide

X-net Interface

Deimos

[quote name='Vaaish' date='Jul 16 2003, 04:27 AM']... the head looks a bit awkward like it is too small for the body.[/quote]
Its just quite thick armor right? I think the most recent version he posted (just above this post) is fine.

Looks great people.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Kenshiro' date='Jul 16 2003, 12:13 AM']Perhaps this one?

Hrm.  Isn't this just a placeholder graphic?[/quote]
That looks about right. And even though it is a placeholder it is still good to try to get it looking as close to the existing model as possible ans especially to have the proportiond correct.

[quote]Its just quite thick armor right? I think the most recent version he posted (just above this post) is fine.[/quote]

Actually the armor itself really isn't too thick, maybe a quarter to half inch. Edited by Vaaish

[quote name='Vaaish' date='Jul 16 2003, 02:30 PM']Actually the armor itself really isn't too thick, maybe a quarter to half inch.[/quote]
Oh. That sounds like tin foil.

Perhaps theres a lot of padding then. Or maybe its the Xtra Large size? :D

I still think it looks good.

Guest drewid
If we did rotate and zoom with RMB and wheel then we wouldn't need a button and could lose the panel at the bottom. either that or a small floating icon on the botom right of the pic perhaps??

Deimos you should be aware what category buttons are clicked, so you need at least a green lit as always, however too much green looks monotonous. Check with green but dont constrain yourself to that color only...

Greetings
Red Knight

[quote name='miceless' date='Jul 16 2003, 07:40 AM'][quote name='Vaaish' date='Jul 16 2003, 02:30 PM'] Actually the armor itself really isn't too thick, maybe a quarter to half inch.[/quote]
Oh. That sounds like tin foil.

Perhaps theres a lot of padding then. Or maybe its the Xtra Large size? :D

I still think it looks good. [/quote]
no not really ther are the environmental systems and the operative is approx 6 feet tall and with the armor it put him up to about 6.2 6.3 feet tall.

Hey Drewid, my concern with not having a visual tool for rotating the model is that the new user wouldn't know about it then. I think it's a good idea to have the mouse options as well, but there should still be a UI control for the function as a primary option.

Miceless, believe me, 1/2" of metal is a lot, I use 12 guage stainless on my helmet and it's maybe 1/8" thick. 1/2" metal would be massive in respect to metal armor, a full set would weigh far too much. Being that the armor isn't metal, the thickness could less or more, depending on the alloy/material used. Alien alloys are described as many thin layers, so it could still come back to a thickness similar to classic steel. Consider this pic of steel armor, and the armor model looks pretty substantial:

Considering weight... the Power Armor was supposed to be selfpowered, moving itself based on user actions right? Or have I just read too much fan-fiction? :P

Guest drewid
[quote name='Breunor' date='Jul 16 2003, 02:38 PM']Hey Drewid, my concern with not having a visual tool for rotating the model is that the new user wouldn't know about it then. I think it's a good idea to have the mouse options as well, but there should still be a UI control for the function as a primary option.[/quote]
Yeah. I was concerned with that as well. but it doesn't have to be a big icon. just something in the corner of the image would do it.

[quote name='Breunor' date='Jul 16 2003, 09:38 PM']Miceless, believe me, 1/2" of metal is a lot, I use 12 guage stainless on my helmet and it's maybe 1/8" thick. 1/2" metal would be massive in respect to metal armor, a full set would weigh far too much.  Being that the armor isn't metal, the thickness could less or more, depending on the alloy/material used. Alien alloys are described as many thin layers, so it could still come back to a thickness similar to classic steel. Consider this pic of steel armor, and the armor model looks pretty substantial[/quote]
I just figured it would be more, seeing as weight wouldnt be a problem (due to the suit being powered as mentioned by Micah and LordT, bit like power steering).

Also, since the suit is powered it has to have a) a power source and B) the mechanisms that apply the movement. I guess that would make the armor more chunky.

Im not saying that was bad, and your right the alloy can be real strong, im just trying to think of reasons why the armor is chunky. I like it how it is.

Guest Jim69
[quote]Jim, you're right  It does stand out a bit. But as this is still at the concept stage its easy to alter, look in the pic and tell me if that's better?[/quote]
Much easier on the eye, thanx

BTW, sorry it took so long 2 reply, it changed to a second page and I didn't c ur post, whoops :) Edited by Jim69

Ok I consider this closed for this milestone, so I would need you to post a final image so I dont make mistakes implementing it.

Deimos can you recollect and send me the raw data for implementing?

Greetings
Red Knight

Guest drewid
I would agree. perhaps we could light the left lig for the current category, and the right light for the current item.

or use different colours for gategory and item headings - or have headings justified left and items indented Edited by drewid

[quote name='GreatGold' date='Jul 23 2003, 05:31 PM']I agree, mouse is intuitive enough, no reason to add a button.[/quote]
Besides, if some form of help-text is used (tutorial message, floating text at cursor,...) it can be explained the model can be rotated with the mouse.

And I also agree with Mamutas, I think the button of every category should remain visible, not just of the one you're in, so you could easily jump from say avenger =>craft weapons =>plasma cannon, instead of going avenger =>xcom craft =>craft weapons =>plasma cannon.

Please someone email me at my projectxenocide.com the raw material for the XNet layout cause I cannot implement it without it... Try to create small textures that can be repeated (specially for the lines that the design has)... So the less texture space and textures to track, the better...

I think I dont have to say that it is more than a higher priority task...

Greetings
Red Knight

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='j'ordos' date='Aug 12 2003, 09:12 PM']I've added the x-net entry for the rifle, but 1) what size does the text need to be? (I mean, font size), and 2) what color?

Anyway, here's the text, are there any changes needed apart from color and size?[/quote]
j'ordos... you MUST leave the graphics the size they were when I sent them. they won't properly line up if you don't. For now that probably means eiterh trunicating the text or making multiple images for each entry. the graphic of the weapon looks fine though.

Red Knight: I Pm'd you requesting your email and didn't get a response.

Geez, is it just me (and my monitor) or can anyone else not actually see that rifle?

And is that green the way that all the X-Net entries are going to be displayed? Im already feeling dizzy just reading that one.

[quote name='miceless' date='Aug 13 2003, 07:06 AM']Geez, is it just me (and my monitor) or can anyone else not actually see that rifle?

And is that green the way that all the X-Net entries are going to be displayed? Im already feeling dizzy just reading that one.[/quote]
It isn't just u, and I also think the text shouldn't be green, another colour a bit easier on the eye like light grey would be better.

[quote name='Vaaish' date='Aug 13 2003, 05:34 AM']j'ordos... you MUST leave the graphics the size they were when I sent them.  they won't properly line up if you don't. For now that probably means eiterh trunicating the text or making multiple images for each entry. the graphic of the weapon looks fine though.[/quote]
You mean truncating? ^_^

Ok, the pic is the same size, but the text needs to stay the same size too? As it didn't fit, and considering it would be scrollable I thought I could increase the height as the parts above and below maybe could be hidden... But ok, I'll split the text up in different parts and create multiple images for it.

[quote]Geez, is it just me (and my monitor) or can anyone else not actually see that rifle?[/quote]

It's the pic as I got it from Kenshiro, I can increase it's brightness though I don't know if it'll look better.

[quote]And is that green the way that all the X-Net entries are going to be displayed? Im already feeling dizzy just reading that one[/quote]

As I don't know exactly what it should be I picked a bright color, but agreed, I'll make it a bit softer. ^_^

Edit: so here is a brighter rifle pic Edited by j'ordos

Rifle looks better. I can see it now. :) Is there a reason the clip is gold?

Text is better too. Has the green colour been agreed on? Green always seems to be the colour for things like that. Cant we use something different?

[quote name='miceless' date='Aug 13 2003, 11:28 AM']Rifle looks better. I can see it now. :) Is there a reason the clip is gold?

Text is better too. Has the green colour been agreed on? Green always seems to be the colour for things like that. Cant we use something different?[/quote]
Ask Kenshiro ^_^ , but I think it's plastic

I figured, since it's a greenscreen, the text should be green as well. Anyway, here's a more greyish one.
For now I'll do it in that green, I can always change it if wanted. Edited by j'ordos

But everyone else seems not to be present atm, besides it's easily changed.

I uploaded them to the ftp-server, look [url="http://www.projectxenocide.com/public/Xnet/Rifle%20Entry.rar"]here[/url]

I'll do the Heavy Cannon now, let me know if you're not happy with anything. Edited by j'ordos

Every project member has acces to that one, don't get any ideas :wink:

edit: here's the heavy cannon, [url="http://www.projectxenocide.com/public/Xnet/Heavy%20Cannon%20Entry.rar"]file[/url]

What else entries need to be done for now? Also, we should make sure layout and structure are the same in each text, for example that rifle has a separate chapter at the end of the text, with characteristics like calibre, weigth, firing modes,..., while the heavy cannon does not for now. Edited by j'ordos

I don't think the scroll buttons were going to be enabled for this release (not sure), so either use the standard stats from the original on each item, or just a single paragraph of text. We need at least 1-2 items from each category in the X-Net. Just use the ufopedia that micah has in the menubar at xcomufo.com to get the category names.

[quote name='Vaaish' date='Aug 13 2003, 01:23 PM']J'ordos, try to match the color and from from the concept that Deimos posted. Should be back a page.[/quote]
So that's the green it has to be? That [u]would[/u] be easier if I just had the values of, but I'll give it a try.

[quote]I don't think the scroll buttons were going to be enabled for this release (not sure), so either use the standard stats from the original on each item, or just a single paragraph of text. We need at least 1-2 items from each category in the X-Net. Just use the ufopedia that micah has in the menubar at xcomufo.com to get the category names.[/quote]
Ok, one text box it is then. Should I take two items out of every category in the original or like the one in Deimos' pic?

Oh well, I have uploaded the Firestorm, Avenger and Flying Armour as well now, they all have one text file too, as I had already done them, and you never know...
[url="http://www.projectxenocide.com/public/Xnet/Avenger%20Entry.rar"]Avenger[/url]
[url="http://www.projectxenocide.com/public/Xnet/Firestorm%20Entry.rar"]Firestorm[/url]
[url="http://www.projectxenocide.com/public/Xnet/Flying%20Armour%20Entry.rar"]Flying Armour[/url]

edit: now, where are some more placeholder pics? Or should I take unfinished ones? Edited by j'ordos

That pic is how the rifle, the Heckler & Koch G-36, appears in real life. It has a clear plastic clip, with brass visible through the magazine's outer shell. The Fabrique Nationale P-90 also has such a clip, albeit horizontally mounted and of dramatically different shape. These magazines are being considered for the OICW as well, I hear. In any case, as this is placeholder art I don't think there should be much concern, since we'll eventually place our own high-detail model in that spot.

Incidentally, the G-36 is among the premier combat rifles of the forseeable future, and includes many advanced features and options that suit an advanced rifle for X-Corps. The OICW is probably the only gun more advanced that shoots conventional rounds, and that is coincidentally is closely related to the G-36 (the 5.56mm half of the OICW contains derivative if not interchangeable parts). The G-36 includes an integral sight, with I/R option, and there are third party HUD-like attachments that allow the firer to see around corners through the weapon sight via an eyepiece worn like sunglasses.

If people prefer, the G-36 accepts all NATO STANAG standard magazines, which includes the M-16 style box magazines as well as the plastic ones made in Canada and the UK, French FAMAS magazines, etc. The plastic one in my opinion is the best choice, however, because according to most sources they hold up just as well as the steel ones and allow you to tell with a glance just how much ammo is left in the mag. Plus, they have a futuristic look to them, which is probably the best selling point for me.

I wasnt complaining really, i was just curious as to why it was gold. I bow down to your superior weapons knowledge. :master:

Do you have any pics of real life versions of the pastic clips (and any other types)? Ill see if i can use Google to find one...

Here are the entries for the [url="http://www.projectxenocide.com/public/Xnet/Access%20Lift%20Entry.rar"]access lift[/url] , and the [url="http://www.projectxenocide.com/public/Xnet/Living%20Quarters%20Entry.rar"]living quarters[/url]

[quote name='j'ordos' date='Aug 13 2003, 10:36 AM'][quote name='miceless' date='Aug 13 2003, 11:28 AM'] Rifle looks better. I can see it now. :) Is there a reason the clip is gold?

Text is better too. Has the green colour been agreed on? Green always seems to be the colour for things like that. Cant we use something different?[/quote]
Ask Kenshiro ^_^ , but I think it's plastic

I figured, since it's a greenscreen, the text should be green as well. Anyway, here's a more greyish one.
For now I'll do it in that green, I can always change it if wanted. [/quote]
Yeah, much better :)

Edit: Oh well, looks u got told to change it :boohoo:

Could I be more of a pain in the arse and ask if the pics could be on a dark grey background 4 the X.Net as most human weaponry fades into the black used there. Edited by Jim69