XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Gun Design Poll

Kenshiro

Should guns look pretty or like they can kick some a**?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote]Ugly definately ugly. Alien weapons should look like alien and imo aliens are ugly[/quote]

I strongly disagree on that, the alien weapons should look scaringly hyper-advanced, sleek and beautiful in a bizzarre way! If they look ugly then the illusion of facing a enemy so advanced it can sacrifice artistic talent even into weapon design!

They should be functional first and aesthetic second.

Make the gun look like it could work and then if possible w/o taking from the functionality make it aesthetic.

There should probably be a mix of designs IRL some guns are just plain beautiful and others are simple and functional.

If I remember correctly the higher the civilization the more time there is to make an object aesthetic instead of just functional. Eg. simple post and lintel door frames versus carved arches. Edited by Vaaish

I agree the alien rifles should look sleek and aesthetic. The human weapons on the other hand can be more rag-tag, as long as they get the job done. After all, who needs good looks then? Provides another distinction between them.

I think a bit of both should be true. For examply I think the heavy cannons and auto cannons can look chunky and mean. Alien weapon should look generally sleek, but no reason why some of them sholdnt be more or less sleek than others.

Where is the 'both of the above' option?

Guest Jim69
I agree with most of the above. Human guns should be made 4 functuallity before design, and alien weapons almost the opposite, looking very smooth almost like that dodgy organic art that some weirdo's get paid 2 make :P

Efficiency tends to make guns that have the bare minimum needed to function, and little more. The more material added for looks, the more weight involved. Smooth lines make sense for planes, but not for guns. Alien weapons I agree should be smooth, since they're growing alloys for it which are most effecient at surrounding a given volume using as close to a sphere as possible.

On the other hand, I think distinctive looks can be created based on the weapon tech being used, so while each series might be ugly compared to alien tech (which is intentional IMO), we'll be able to look at the battlescape, see a weapon on the ground, and know what it is/whether it's worth spending TUs to pick up.

• 3 weeks later...
This is the future!
Why would the guns not look streamlined?
The weapons in Interceptor were nice and streamlined but still liked like they could kick the Aliens buts back to their own dimension.
Oh, and more importantly, they did kick the old enemy in to a bloody pulp.
Green blood! YUCK!!!

:explode: