XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - XCAPs

demich

Yep, now that I can be bothered to check, i can see that. :D

I think it looks great. Does the turret rotate (I hope so)? Can we get a shot of the turret round to one side and/or pointing at the camera or something.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree the 90 looks good. Sorry about the confusion on balance, I agree that if it's too tall it would flip from heavy recoil or a steep accent, I must have misread the comments. I thought the ammo would be kept down within the chassis and fed up the neck to the turret perhaps, so with the engine the center of gravity is low. I think the last shot is a good balance between looks and realism. Why don't we call this design done for now and move on to the next, otherwise tiny changes can stall us for quite a while.

Demich, can you post the model and texture files as a zip on the server for us? If you don't have access to that just post the zip here and I'll copy it up.

Ye Gads people I've just read this thread. Balance and this is to big thats too small. It is a game we're making not a physical model. As far as I'm concerned and seeing as I gave the reference material in the first place both the first and last turrets and barrels look fine.

The first pic has an almost howitzer look to it which is fantastic. You guys that are complaining really ought to do more research before flaming. Look at ww2 german tanks especially those based on the Panther and Tiger chassis. In fact go hunt down the other hwp thread and you'll see some examples and how well Demich has taken them as a resource and come up with something unique. He shouldn't be flamed for it.

Demich. The big fat cannon is fantastic. Maybe make the barrel shorter to mirror the barrel in the original and give a real sawn off shotgun kind of look to it. Maybe use a flatter, wider turret assembly like you've shown in one of your pics and we'll be cooking with gas. I think you've done a fantastic job on the cannon assembly. Keep up the great work.

breunor: autocannon and cannon are on FTP now, with all textures. Now I'm going to tweak rocket turret, and start working on laser turret.

--edited--

deimos: thanks :) I will keep big fat barrel for blaster luncher :) Edited by demich

[quote name='Deimos' date='Aug 5 2003, 03:30 PM']Ye Gads people I've just read this thread. Balance and this is to big thats too small. It is a game we're making not a physical model. As far as I'm concerned and seeing as I gave the reference material in the first place both the first and last turrets and barrels look fine.

The first pic has an almost howitzer look to it which is fantastic. You guys that are complaining really ought to do more research before flaming. Look at ww2 german tanks especially those based on the Panther and Tiger chassis. In fact go hunt down the other hwp thread and you'll see some examples and how well Demich has taken them as a resource and come up with something unique. He shouldn't be flamed for it.

Demich. The big fat cannon is fantastic. Maybe make the barrel shorter to mirror the barrel in the original and give a real sawn off shotgun kind of look to it. Maybe use a flatter, wider turret assembly like you've shown in one of your pics and we'll be cooking with gas. I think you've done a fantastic job on the cannon assembly. Keep up the great work.[/quote]
Agreed, that big gun looks like a howitzer, but IMHO that wasn't the purpose of this gun, as howitzers generally fire HE, and this tank doesn't...

[quote]Sorry about the confusion on balance, I agree that if it's too tall it would flip from heavy recoil or a steep accent, I must have misread the comments.[/quote]

:D Don't worry, I'll just eat your legs for revenge...

[quote]You guys that are complaining really ought to do more research before flaming.[/quote]

Well, I could be wrong - not really - but doesn't flaming include l33tspeak and a "I'm allways right so STFU" additude? However due to the fact that you are right about the research part I'll just eat your other arm... :devillaugh:

IMO the first pic looked ugly 'cause of the humongous gun... Edited by Aosar

It pains me to agree with j'ordos at this precise moment in time, but i have to. And I think that the people on this board are going to be a good slice of the general population. If people come out and say that this is too small/ too big, then most likely other people will later. In a case like this, we need to get the thing looking good, and whether or not it conforms to the standards of real life tanks can be stretched a little.

[quote]Ye Gads people I've just read this thread. Balance and this is to big thats too small. It is a game we're making not a physical model[/quote]

:master: thank you deimos...

as far as size, lets stick to the 90, i feel like this should be named Goldie locks and the 3 HWPs

Goldie locks tried the first tank but it was to big, so she tried the 2nd tank but it was to small, but the 90mm was just right. ^_^

[quote name='gee wiz Escariut' date='Aug 6 2003, 10:26 PM']i feel like this should be named Goldie locks and the 3 HWPs

Goldie locks tried the first tank but it was to big, so she tried the 2nd tank but it was to small, but the 90mm was just right.[/quote]
:LOL: Thats funny! :D

Anyway, i think we have all agreed on the 90mm gun now...

If we had just RTFM in the first place, all this could have been avoided... :D

Since it relies heavily on alien tech and IIRC it's psionically driven. It could have a sort of mind-reader like recever, a blue globe attached to the hull, maybe in the back. Another gizmo, could be the targeting system, either a camera, or a mechanical looking eye ball or something...

• 2 weeks later...
Perhaps since the 2 prongs come out to the front like that, they have the magnetic drive/lift emitters inside? If so, I suggest having some additional mass coming out of the bottom to represent that on each prong, and a larger one in the rear to support the main weight. They could even be a hemisphere in each spot.

A minor point, have the hover height be like 2 feet, that way it's not floating over fences and other obstacles for free... Although that would be nice, I don't think it could do it in the original. Perhaps a v1+ thing would be that it can fly anywhere a flying suit could, that would be nice.

See the thread about tanks in the lab. There we are discussing all sorts of fun things hwps can do.

Anyway, about the model, could we get an antenna? Just since it is partially remote controlled, and we kind of want to indicate that on teh model.

demich: Are you attaching the images to the page using the forum software or are you just linking from a personal website?

All I'm seeing is "user posted image" but nothing shows up.

• 3 weeks later...
I can finally see the image :)

The only qualm I have with it is firing such a large cannon so far back on the tank. It would have to have some extreme stabilization to manage it.

Maybe move the cannon more toward the middle and make it a little less radical from the other HWP sincethey will probably both have to fit into the same space.

vaish: i've made more balanced version ;).

Main engine and turret are in the middle section. These two bumper-like things are stabilizers and two gizmos on each side of hovertank are used to make quick turns, thrust, jumps(or fly it depends what will be said in the description text :D.

It will be smoothed of course, and there will be textures so don't care about "plated" look ;] Edited by demich

I wasn't expecing such a radical change. Do you think we can tone the stabalizers down some, maybe try to keep it a little more like your first concept but move the cannon to the center and put on outriggers? Just and idea though.

I like both your designs Demich. I don't think there would be a problem with recoil or balance, as this is firing a recoiless plasma beam rather than shell with lots of kick. You rlast pic is sort of similar to the first if you rotated the main gun 90 degrees, so it would be pointing to the left relative to its current direction.

The senior team has enacted a new system for the concept threads that we should be following, there's a post by Micah at the root of the Images forum about it. I don't want to start picking at little things on this design as it would be going against that system. So how about this Demich: we can explain what we like/dislike about each design to date, and if you want to combine the best of the best we can do that, or you can keep posting different concepts. Then a poll can be made in the art department forum for people to vote on the best, and then that design could get the little tweaks and such.

So based on that, here's a suggestion/concept based on your second design. I think the second one feels a little skinny, so I shortened it up and made it wider as well, also moved the turret back a little so the barrel length was kept close to the original. I like the extensions, they look like they'd give it more stability. The small pods sticking out of the third model for turning would work well, since this thing runs on elerium it can use the same magnetic field tech as the flying suit for movement IMO. Those pods would work for that.

I liked the catamaran look too. I would add some vents and protrusions and all that in addition. I hate to say it but all that idiot warhammer 40,000 stuff for the eldar and tau races could provide inspiration...

Just be sure that you don't make it too close to any of those designs or the GW will hunt you down with pointy sticks.

Here is a source for interesing, sleek, hovery things. [url="http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/"]Forgeworld.[/url]

I perfer the one that looked like, as fux0r said, a catamaran. Or a big U. :D

That new one looks rather like a cloudcar from starwars. I don't like that design, so I am probably a lil biased :D
The original U just looked so cool...

Experiment with a cowl or mass on the back to derive a better sense of balance. It looks like all the lift potential of the anti gravity system is at the front and all the weight is at the back... and composition wise, all the detail is at the back as well. If you push the back of the tank further back by adding something sticky-outy it would make the turret bulge look more like the centre.

It really looks great, though. One of the best models in the project so far.

* best dog in show.
||
^

^
\____ Blue ribbon pin.