ART - XCAPs

demich

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sounds like you should consider this design pretty much done from everybody's comments. There might be some small tweaks later on, but consider the overall design good to go, and work on the texture if you're doing that. Once the other seniors check it out, we'll post it on the short list.

Yeah, I'd say all u would be doing right now is tweaking it unnecessarily as with a texture over it little tweaks won't even be noticed.

Have fun with texturing it :devillaugh: I know I am having great fun texturing mine, ahh those 3 hours have flown by and listening to Arsenal draw to Pompy just added it the excitement -_-

This is a great design Demich. It's got that hunched brooding look is mentioned in another thread somewhere.

I think it still looks a little unbalanced. I would move the turret forwards by possibly 1/2 of it's diameter, to make it more central, and make the new cool lump at the back more of a whole, perhaps a smoother curve right down to the back edge would work better, like the back end of the old e type jag.

edited for spolling Edited by drewid

The main thing that makes it look bad ( and it ain't that bad ) I think is that the black lines are so thick, now I'm not sure exactly how the irridium sheen works but what I think happens is that you have created a texture of black lines and a colour that is to be replaced by the irridium sheen? If you made the lines a little less prominant then it would look fine I think. Then again I'm pretty inexperienced at the moment so I could have the wrong end of the stick.

The windows on top of the sides look good, I guess they're showing the power source providing the lift? I think the paneled look is good too; having every craft with the alloy sheen also be super smooth will get old IMO, having this look like armored panels looks good. It will look even better when the rest is finished, I would like to see the whole thing before passing judgement on just part of it.

Looking very nice!

Ok that is beautiful. Except the turret, that seems lonely not being textured :(
I figure that there should be a pale light that eminates from the holes. Blue or green I think, as those are colors many people associate with aliens and other monsters.

I take it that you're applying it as a environment mapping. Its yet to be decided exactly how we're applying it. It might be an environment map of might be a shader. Don't worry too much about it for now we'll sort that when we've got the engine running and see which is cheaper in performance terms.

The finished tank looks awesome. Consider it done for now unless there are tweaks you're still making. If anybody has an issue with the design, we'll be coming back and looking at everything in a rendered battlescape to make sure everything fits, that would be a good time to consider any tweaks IMO.

• 1 month later...
I like it. I know people will think, it's a laser, not a gatling gun, but how else would you diferentiate it from a standard cannon? Perhaps an angular tube, like 5 sides, that has a moderate transparency? Sort of like focusing mirrors? I don't know.

in game how will this fire? will we use a single beam coming out of the center or three separate beams converging?

I think it looks ok, but will have to see how textures affect it.

vaish: i was thinking that there will be three types of shooting:
aimed - beam will be coming out from a single barrel, (top one) the best accuracy, the lowest dmg
burst fire mode - the lowest accuracy, the highest dmg. It counts as one shoot but beams come from all barrels at the same time. E.G. All beams can miss or all beams can hit :)
autoshoot - each barrel fires beam separately. It works just like auto mode for jet harpoons in TFTD. E.G. One beam can hit and two beams can miss.

This is an idea of course :)

Or you could say it already is some kind of gatling cannon, and the three barrels are needed to prevent overheating even without autofire. (Or we add autofire to the laser tank's capabilities and say that for autofire multiple barrels are needed)

edit: for clarity: one shot->barrels rotate->one shot->barrels rotate... Edited by j'ordos

Demich is tha man :D

I love the heatsinks on the back of the laser assembly. Top stuff.

The tribarrel design works as well and I think that when there's a lens inside the barrels with the glow I reckon there'll be no mistaking it. :) Especially as we'll have it in xnet under laser tank :P

Rotating barrels with the beam coming out of the top one sounds good to me. Having each shot consist of 3 short bursts with the spinning animation would look very nice.

Won't the player assume that it is auto-shot though? I personally like the idea of a automatic laser tank. However, when a player sees a laser rifle shoot auto fire and shoot three bursts, they are going to start to wonder why the tank shoots 3 shots on snap! IMO of course.

In X-com the laser tank had aimed and snap shots, and for
v1 we're going to recreate a 1:1 clone as far as possible (?). With the
current model (which btw looks very nice) you could say a snap shot
comes from only one barrel, an aimed shot comes from all three barrels.
There is a better chance of hitting with 3 parallel laser beams than with
a single beam, but it would take more time (AP) to heat up for such a triple shot.

I'm sorry to sound like a trekkie, but since there is no friction in
a laser weapon and the only heat source would be outside the
barrel, rotating barrels sound like nonsense to me. :huh:

what about this instead? Does it look more futeristic?

EDIT: the run of cause, it isnt an intire HWP :) Edited by mikker

ehm.....thats pretty hard when i do not have the model :)

this is a very bad pic of it: I'd imagine that the 2 ones in the top follow the top of its "head". Edited by mikker

[quote name='CptJackSparrow' date='Nov 1 2003, 02:53 PM']In X-com the laser tank had aimed and snap shots, and for
v1 we're going to recreate a 1:1 clone as far as possible (?). With the
current model (which btw looks very nice) you could say a snap shot
comes from only one barrel, an aimed shot comes from all three barrels.
There is a better chance of hitting with 3 parallel laser beams than with
a single beam, but it would take more time (AP) to heat up for such a triple shot.

I'm sorry to sound like a trekkie, but since there is no friction in
a laser weapon and the only heat source would be outside the
barrel, rotating barrels sound like nonsense to me.  :huh:[/quote]
The heat would come from the power source, it would need to be pretty beefy to power a laser powerful enough to cause any damage.

yeah, maybe. but IMO, i think 3 tubes is a little too less to be called a laser weapon. i think it should be a little more........exotic....