XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Startup Screen

Guest Jim69

Yeah, that looks killer :) I think I need 2 improve my PS skills a little, that looks far more professional than mine. I think that only usin part a 3rd of the screen 4 the image looks reasonable, and I've never personally seen the slide idea so a bit of originality is always cool.
A couple of things tho:

1. I think the green tint is a little 2 dark, could just b me tho.

2. Is the logo u r usin there the final 1? I wasn't really sure, and I don't remember where the topic about it is.

D'ya recon u can post the .psd file ( if u still got it ) I'm gonna try and get some backgrounds 2gether so we have a large pool of em 2 work from. Other than that it look great :)

Edit: I was also thinking of using existing photo's of UFO's and the like and trying to recreate/modify them 4 use as backgrounds. I'll try and find some 2nite. Edited by Jim69

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, goodie, u got the image files 4 te UFO pics? There could, potentially, be 30-40 images, maybe even that many that make it into the game. I'm sure thats never been done b4, but then we may get the odd person who spends there whole time wating 4 the image 2 change :LOL:

I'm gonna try and get some images that I can scale 2 about the right size and still look good, and I'll create some myself in 3DSM. I suggest others posting ne pics they think would look good and then choosing the 1's we like l8r. Edited by Jim69

[quote name='Jim69' date='Aug 10 2003, 05:56 PM']Yeah, that looks killer :) I think I need 2 improve my PS skills a little, that looks far more professional than mine. I think that only usin part a 3rd of the screen 4 the image looks reasonable, and I've never personally seen the slide idea so a bit of originality is always cool.
A couple of things tho:

1. I think the green tint is a little 2 dark, could just b me tho.

2. Is the logo u r usin there the final 1? I wasn't really sure, and I don't remember where the topic about it is.

D'ya recon u can post the .psd file ( if u still got it ) I'm gonna try and get some backgrounds 2gether so we have a large pool of em 2 work from. Other than that it look great :)

Edit: I was also thinking of using existing photo's of UFO's and the like and trying to recreate/modify them 4 use as backgrounds. I'll try and find some 2nite.[/quote]
1. It's possible especially if you are talking about the pic with the alien. Can be easily changed by adjusting the layer color overlay effect.

2. Unless someone decides to tell me my version of the logo is final it is just my variation. I use it because it is quick and easy to edit in (and I think it looks better than the ones on the page)

3. the website is not allowing me to upload the PSD or I would.

That's OK, I'll just get the pics rdy 4 ya in the right size so it shouldn't b much of pain in the arse to put em in.

I figure using a mixture of created and modelled/drawn pics could create the best pool of pics 2 choose from, so unless ne1 has ne objections or better idea's I'm gonna try and find/create some.

[quote name='Jim69' date='Aug 10 2003, 08:12 PM']That's OK, I'll just get the pics rdy 4 ya in the right size so it shouldn't b much of pain in the arse to put em in.

I figure using a mixture of created and modelled/drawn pics could create the best pool of pics 2 choose from, so unless ne1 has ne objections or better idea's I'm gonna try and find/create some.[/quote]
another thing that might be neat is to use the models of the aliens and craft from the game as the backgrounds. just make them blurry and again recon like.

Yeah, we can add more as the models start comin in, I think that'd be good as long as we don't give too much away as we are doin it, sorta like build the suspence of the game up from the first second, like the sectoid already posted, having heavy shadows so u can't quite make it out but u can c the general shape.

[quote name='Jim69' date='Aug 10 2003, 08:47 PM']Yeah, we can add more as the models start comin in, I think that'd be good as long as we don't give too much away as we are doin it, sorta like build the suspence of the game up from the first second, like the sectoid already posted, having heavy shadows so u can't quite make it out but u can c the general shape.[/quote]
yup thats the idea exactally :) no go with the PSD Micah, I'll try to get access to the FTP but I'm not sure I',ll be abe to connect with the proxy here.

I seem to have missed a chunk of this somehow. Probably while i was asleep.

I dont know about anyone else, but I really like that shot with the alien Vaaish posted. It needs a tweak or two IMO but i really do like it.

Geez, i see the rar for the the psd is 4 meg. Thank god for fast connections. Shame I have no editor.

[quote name='Micah' date='Aug 13 2003, 05:18 AM']I got the psd via email and uploaded it to the server:

[url="http://www.projectxenocide.com/public/startmenu2.rar"]http://www.projectxenocide.com/public/startmenu2.rar[/url][/quote]
Thanx, I'll ave a go when I get back.

I got a few ideas of what I can do so I'll try em a bit l8r

[quote name='miceless' date='Aug 13 2003, 02:16 AM']I seem to have missed a chunk of this somehow. Probably while i was asleep.

I dont know about anyone else, but I really like that shot with the alien Vaaish posted. It needs a tweak or two IMO but i really do like it.

Geez, i see the rar for the the psd is 4 meg. Thank  god for fast connections. Shame I have no editor.[/quote]
Minceless: what the idea is is that we have several different backgrounds where the alien is and the pan around a bit then fade to a new one. Basically the crop ciricle, really blurry aliens, and vague craft. Just to kind of set the theme.

Vaaish, wouldn't it work even better if the alien-in-the-middle were animations? Not too much movement, just as you say, to set the mood.

I remember watching Aliens when I was 11. One of the best things with that movie was in the original version they never showed the aliens on-screen until the reactor scene. It was obvious that there were aliens on the planet, but it set the mood.

So, moody and dark animations are my suggestion. Keep the rings around the middle area, move the menu more to the center (in fact, just move it right until it's dead center) but not so it's interfearing with the animation.

Animations have been discussed, but the general concensus is that we will get this done first then maybe add animations when more models are finished and some peeps have the time.

I think stills would work better than animations.

As for the slideshow, i think i would prefer a random background that loads with the menu, but only changes if you leave the menu. i.e. have it change only while you are not looking at it. Make sense?

Will only the main menu have these backgrounds, or will the sub menus have them too?

Yeah, they do a simular thing in Raven Shield, seems to work OK and but I do prefer the fade in/out. Not that bothered really tho.

Well, I'd imagine that this will be the only screen with this as the X.Net screens have already been decided and I imagine that sub screens will follow that style. Maybe the load screen could be like this tho?

[quote name='Cubik' date='Aug 13 2003, 07:36 AM']Vaaish, wouldn't it work even better if the alien-in-the-middle were animations? Not too much movement, just as you say, to set the mood.

I remember watching Aliens when I was 11. One of the best things with that movie was in the original version they never showed the aliens on-screen until the reactor scene. It was obvious that there were aliens on the planet, but it set the mood.

So, moody and dark animations are my suggestion. Keep the rings around the middle area, move the menu more to the center (in fact, just move it right until it's dead center) but not so it's interfearing with the animation.[/quote]
I don't have a problem with doin that :) would greatly add to the effect of a recording. maybe have some that animate otehrs that don't

I'm not sure animations are really needed, wouldn't blurry bad-quality pictures set more of a mood. There could be several pictures of the same subject though, like that alien, each picture seemingly a few seconds later than the first; so you get the impression someone shot up a whole film on that thing ^_^
Or maybe not :rolleyes:

When is it going 2 be implemented? For the milestone coming up? Coz I would ave thought ur Programmers are busy with the X.Net at the mo, coz I ave a few ideas about a New Game screen but if it's not an issue yet I'll keep em 2 myself...:)

• 4 weeks later...
How hard would it be to implement a moving Start screen like that of the recent games...maybe just record 2 min of gameplay (action preferably) or cut scenes worth 2 min of play time and have the start screen display it in the background...just a suggestion

I concur with fux0r, that works primarily for realtime games.
Anyway, I don't really see any ufo in Jim's concept. Maby its just me. Can you make a blurry, low grade (like captured with a cheap video camera) image of a sectoid moving towards the filmer?

Very true, if we do replays at least peeps will have the option not 2 view them, if we put them in the BG then we force them 2 look at it.

Edit: U won't see a UFO coz there aint 1 there, it's a burn mark in some long grass, and since there isn't a Sectoid modelled yet... Edited by Jim69

Yup. looks good to me too :)

Jim why don't you see if you can make a layer in the psd containing only the noise and distortion but no image that way we can stick any image behind it w little difficulty.

[quote name='Vaaish' date='Sep 8 2003, 05:28 PM']Yup. looks good to me too :)

Jim why don't you see if you can make a layer in the psd containing only the noise and distortion but no image that way we can stick any image behind it w little difficulty.[/quote]
Heh, 2 steps ahead of ya I thought that if we are gonna have multiple BG's we should ave a generic distortion layer so I made 1 up. It got a colour overlay ( Do I need 2 do this b4 it goes in game, or is a colour overlay something u can code along with transparency? I would have thought that it would be easier 2 do the overlay 1st but if we ever want 2 change the colour thru a mod... )

The transparency I used is 49% Here it is:

Do I have to mention that I am not able to read the Xenocide Word on that screen???? Remember not everybody had the same monitor settings... And if you dont have the configuration as me, you should consider to change it to avoid having visual artifacts and problems in the future.

I can start a thread in off topic if anyone is interested to know the real facts of how to configure a monitor to avoid eye irritation after long exposure to monitor's screen.

Greetings
Red Knight Edited by red knight

[quote name='red knight' date='Sep 14 2003, 02:35 AM']Do I have to mention that I am not able to read the Xenocide Word on that screen???? Remember not everybody had the same monitor settings... And if you dont have the configuration as me, you should consider to change it to avoid having visual artifacts and problems in the future.

I can start a thread in off topic if anyone is interested to know the real facts of how to configure a monitor to avoid eye irritation after long exposure to monitor's screen.

Greetings
Red Knight[/quote]
actually, yes you would have to mention that since the entire menu screen can been seen fine on my monitor. Unfortunately, taking screenshots an posting them probably won't help much since we are taking the same colors as before.

I'snot sure what artifacts you are see ing or what settings your monitor has ATM. Edited by Vaaish

I can adjust it if u want, but realistically we could be here for weeks adjusting it so that everyone can see it perfectly. I'll lighten it some, but will there not be a contrast button in the options screen?

I can't think what visual artifacts are, maybe I'm being stupid :huh?:

Edit: This one a little clearer? Edited by Jim69

Well I will post it here instead...

The human eye have 3 kind of photoreceptors, one that perform better with green, other with red and the last one with blue. However the excitement that cause the blue ones are way lower than the other ones. So for instance the first thing you have to do if you work with a white background (if for instance you program a lot or write on the word processor) is to go to the OS appearance and the white background move it to a pale blue (that looks like white but it is not). That helps a lot because the contrast and excesive lighting is what cause the eye to irritate and in turn gives you headaches.

Another common mistake that everybody makes is to put the brightness and contrast of the monitor to full power, that is the worst thing you can do. The solution is to move contrast and brightness to near 80% of the max value (that will help you a lot) but you will have problems with todays games cause the developers are not aware of the contraindications of using high contrast and brightness values so they make games way too dark (you wont have problems with XCom though)...

Thats why I cannot see the Xenocide, cause the contrast difference is not enough to make a difference with those settings...

Greetings

80 for each eh? Just set mine to 80 each and it really hurts my eyes, my brightness was on about 10 before and it look OK. Guess it's the difference in moniters.

ne wayz, back on topic, can you still not see it properly then? I thought the green glow distincted the letters enough I didn't actually modify the contrast because AFAIK the lettering is meant to be a navy blue ( I can't tell, partially colour blind to navy blue and black which ain't good considering I am a sparky :LOL: )

Yes, that should be the difference in monitors, it should look a little pale... Mine is a Viewsonic so I guess that would be for every ViewSonic... Mhh you can check with the following, try change it down until you can barely see the xenocide title in the pic of the other page and you will be near...

I forgot on the other post, visual artifacts like seeing letters with little shadows, that kind of visual artifact were what I meant.

Greetings

[quote name='red knight' date='Sep 14 2003, 02:20 PM']Well I will post it here instead...

The human eye have 3 kind of photoreceptors, one that perform better with green, other with red and the last one with blue. However the excitement that cause the blue ones are way lower than the other ones. So for instance the first thing you have to do if you work with a white background (if for instance you program a lot or write on the word processor) is to go to the OS appearance and the white background move it to a pale blue (that looks like white but it is not). That helps a lot because the contrast and excesive lighting is what cause the eye to irritate and in turn gives you headaches.

Another common mistake that everybody makes is to put the brightness and contrast of the monitor to full power, that is the worst thing you can do. The solution is to move contrast and brightness to near 80% of the max value (that will help you a lot) but you will have problems with todays days cause the developers are not aware of the contraindications of using high contrast and brightness values so they make games way too dark (you wont have problems with XCom though)...

Thats why I cannot see the Xenocide, cause the contrast difference is not enough to make a difference with those settings...

Greetings
Red Knight[/quote]
hmm I'm using 99 contrast 70 brightness as per when I calibrated my monitor with Adobe Gamma.

Are youtalking about the text xenocide at the top of the screen? If so the color variation and value difference should make the text readable.

From my work in the blind/visually impaired field, 2 other (major) reasons for eye strain are lighting and fixed focal length. If the monitor is the only light source, your eyes are constantly trying to adjust your pupil to get an even amount of light, which is very tiring. The parental warning not to watch TV in the dark is a good one. The other issue is staring at a point that never moves in relation to your eyes. The ciliary muscles that adjust your lens' thickness to focus get overworked when they have to keep your eyes focused at a short distance. They relax when you look at something in the distance. So you should have at least a desk lamp turned on, and try to adjust how close you are to the screen on a regular basis, or get up more often to give your eyes a rest. Hard to do with good games I know.

All the pics that Jim have posted are fine on my Micron screen. I use a glare filter so I have brightness and contrast higher, but the filter makes it similar to the 80% settings when it's not used. Are you sure your monitor's not getting old RK? :D