XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Startup Screen

Guest Jim69

Nope happens on my monitor and my fathers too... Both ViewSonic though. And as you mention if you have lots of contrast and you are reading the contrast between the white and black is the biggest problem you have to face... Thats why I told to move it down.

But I can tell you Breunor if you can see the Xenocide word on the screen (or the word on the signature from which that was inspired) you are not near my settings. So try those settings for a long exposure (I pass more than 6 hours in front of the screen - sometimes more- and It has helped me a lot after change that). It was an empirical test, and I was the experimental subject. The test was based on all the biological information about the eye I had to study for Graphics Programming and GUI Design classes. Another thing is to avoid using too much red on the screen (not because it looks disgusting, it is because it cause the eye to stress more than blues - notice how microsoft had changed their interface in XP) and to a lesser deggre green - tested that too when doing that series of experiments.

Another by product of that experiments is: Avoid the use of flourecent white light when working with the computer. If you have 2 tubes, change at least one of them for an orange one.

Greetings
Red Knight

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a school of thought saying that colours represent moods and I do believe that. Reds represent aggresion whereas blues represent serenity which could well be because of the reasons you have just stated.

Seriously m8, you shouldn't be infront of a moniter for more than an hour purely for your eyes sake. Do you wear glasses? If not I'd say it will be a safe bet that you will be soon. It's little wonder that your eyes would hurt looking at it for that long, I quit an office job I was doing after 6 months because I was getting headaches from staring at a screen that long and it had a filter.

So I'm not sure I had had an answer yet: Does this need changing still or is it OK now?

If you mean about the last one... Well the change made effect, however it looks pixelized, you should try to improve the quality of that Xenocide and maybe making it a little brighter. The buttons are way too dark (even putting the contrast and brightness at max - in that case is only dark).

Just one question: Is the interface part dark (it has lots of detail, but I cant see it because of darkness) as it is as designed?

For the rest it is OK.

Grettings
Red Knight

Well, firstly the buttons are not really in my hands, it's up to whoever is doing the overall UI design to finalise these, they are partly transparent at the moment but I gather this could well be changed. The Xenocide logo is also just a placeholder, has it still not been decided what we will use? The impression I get is that this one will not be used because of it's closeness to the Aliens theme tho I do like it. So the final will have to be created with these contrast matters in mind.

I think the idea ( you would have to ask Vaaish, it is his design ) is that it's the X-Corps logo but it is understated to be easier on the eye.

Plus the current background image in the frame probably won't be included because there are going to be multiple versions created.

Hopefully this has cleared it up a little.

[quote name='red knight' date='Sep 15 2003, 07:24 PM']If you mean about the last one... Well the change made effect, however it looks pixelized, you should try to improve the quality of that Xenocide and maybe making it a little brighter. The buttons are way too dark (even putting the contrast and brightness at max - in that case is only dark).

Just one question: Is the interface part dark (it has lots of detail, but I cant see it because of darkness) as it is as designed?

For the rest it is OK.

Grettings
Red Knight[/quote]
I melded in the xcorps logo for subtility, it's meant to break up the monotony of the large blocks of color and add interest.

RK, if you make this ting too much brighter just to suit your monitor it's going to look washed out. So far yours seems to be the anomoly in viewing the image. Againg this is what a gamma slider in game is for. if it's too dark up the gamma. I'm also not sure what you mean by it looking pixelated ATM There shouldn''t be any since layer effects are used to create the green glows and overlay effect and as such should be resolution independent unless Jim rastorized the layer.

I've also changed my monitor settings to 80 contrast and 70 brightness and I am not experiencing any of the problems you are having. Again I suggest that your's is the anomoly.

Nope, didn't rastorize the layer ( that means making it a flat image rather than PS being able to render the effects I've used right? ).

RK, if you have photoshop I would be more than willing to send you the PSD so you can adjust it to something you can see, at least we will then be able to see if it does looked washed out on all of our moniters.

[quote name='fux0r666' date='Sep 15 2003, 09:51 PM']To me it looks slightly desaturated but not washed out.[/quote]
you are right, it's not washed out yet but if we jack up the brightness again it will probably get washed out. and even with levels I'm not fond of the loss of data.

I like the idea of having the logo blended in there. I reckon the relative leve of blendedness is about right. It's really too early on to be fussing much more over this sort of detail.

Having said that I'm now going to contradict myself :D

Personally I think the logo should be a bit smaller, so you see slighty more of it and it's more obvious a) that it's there and B) that it's the logo and not just a pattern.