XCOMUFO & Xenocide

T-shirt Armour: merged topics

Guest drewid

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='Oct 13 2003, 01:28 PM']I can't wait to see it with textures. About the personal armor though, you may want to use the (very good) ct entry as a basis.[/quote]
I'll read through it and see if I can conform it to the design. Bear in mind wheat I'm planning on doing wit hthe personal armor is a new helmet, and a segmented style armor somilar to biker pads. Think along the lines of this is the first experiment with alien alloy so the best we can do is make simple shapes and strap them on.

The personal armor will form the transition to the the power and flight armors.

Remembr that the CTD follows the art team's lead Vaaish so don't go out of your way to conform your design to the text. Its easier to change the text than it is to change the model.

Also to the rest of the team remember that this concept has been discussed earlier on in the thread and was pretty much decided upon so we don't want to change what is working visually for the sake of the text.

I think Vaaish's plan is the best way to go, not sure if that was what Deimos was referring to but it seems the most sensible option to go for if it isn't.

I suppose I am a little biased, what with me being part of the ctd and all, but if the ct entry is good, you should (imo) try and conform to it as much as possible. It shouldn't be too hard, just don't include zippers. :D

Time permitting and accepting that it makes the model look better, sure. Remembering that the creative text is still being considered as a description of the models, not the other way around. I guarantee you it takes much longer to change a model and textures than to change a text description. :D

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='Oct 14 2003, 03:05 PM']I suppose I am a little biased, what with me being part of the ctd and all, but if the ct entry is good, you should (imo) try and conform to it as much as possible. It shouldn't be too hard, just don't include zippers. :D[/quote]
there won't be zippers. THe only major change I see is that instead of being a full body suit of alien alloy is that there individual plates, eg like football (soccer) shinguards, knee pads and the like.

since i can't edit.... anyway I can't make it a full body suit. I'm trying to make a bride between the full body power armors and the flack jackets of today. this is suppsed to be a simple solution to using alien alloys as armor and provides the basis for the more complex power armor. and I think that making it full body will end up making the armor too similar to the power armor. Edited by Vaaish

Here is a more progressive camo pattern... computer generated fractal patterns to give the best mean frequency/amplitude reflection in all light conditions.

[url="http://www.hyperstealth.com/CADPAT-MARPAT.htm"]CADPAT and MARPAT disruptive patterns.[/url]

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Jenny' date='Nov 13 2003, 08:57 AM']If you've ever seen Stargate SG-1, the uniforms they wear would look great in Xenocide.

[img]http://www.phowmo.com/graphics/teama.jpg[/img]

Like that.[/quote]
if you look waaaayy back in the thread (I think) that's the kind of thing that came up.

Have to agree.

• 1 month later...
Hey, I got a bug to make a head modeled after my own and textured with a wrap-around digital picture, and while the hair wasn't a success I did come up with the following item. The skin isn't too smooth color wise, too much blurring and blending. Also the nose area is a little dark, will see what I can do about that soon. I can post a zip of the 3ds and png, and people can work on their own versions as well.

not bad Bru.

Actually if you folks want to keep making heads, I'm trying to make it so we can swap heads out on the armor models. not sure if we will get it for V1 but it's an option.

I would expect the face model would be picked in a way similar to the name for each recruit, so I can see having at least several heads for each gender. When I get home I'll post the zip file (was way too tired last night to do more) and people can play with it. If you could match up the neck with your torso for us first Vaaish, then everybody can downlaod the head and play with it to make their own versions, so long as they keep the bottom neck verts in place then it's less work down the road.

Mine still needs some work on the ears, they stick out from the head as a simple extrude, I figured we would never see the ears because all the armors have a helmet. But we can use these for civ models as well. Do you have a basic body you've worked from Vaaish, that we could make variations from, or did you want to do that yourself? I'm thinking we could use a couple variations for height and chubbiness, and then children as well.

shouldn't be too hard, though I'll have to check the number of faces I'm using for the face including the helmet. Also I've been using an a system with the neck attahed to the body and the head itself not having a neck.

OK, perhaps you can export just the faces of the neck that we can add to the head model then (better would be at least neck and torso for scale), so it will import easily enough. Also if you have a helmet template, we could export just the front-facing polys that you would see when the helmet is on.

I also came across [url="http://www.at-techsolutions.com/myour/psp8tutorials/animal/fur.htm"]this tutorial[/url] on making fur/hair in PSP8. I was quite annoyed with my lack of PSP knowledge, so I found [url="http://www.putertutor.net/paint/psp8.htm"]this site[/url] which has some tutorials. Now I can go back and make some hairy-looking hair for the model... right now it looks like spray-on chia hair. ^_^

I was also considering a much higher res version for things like the arming screen and soldier database Vaaish, I think the plan there was to make renderings for those screens, so we could use a nice high-poly model from which to make the rendered shots.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is another head I found on the Milkshape forums, it includes a bmp map texture as well, which the head is mapped to. So you can take that texture and put your own skin on it, and so long as you match the bumpmap you're set. AFAIK you can then use the bumpmap as an alpha layer to make the surface stand out more too.

Back in the day I was working in the Morrowind modding community, we had a real pro (ut2k modeler) doing some free models for us. He made some really good looking heads with perfect texturing. If we could use them it would be great, but I guess somebody should email him first about it. The models are in NIF format so you'll probably need a special importer for it.

Here's the usage section from the readme file:

[code]*****************************************************************

5. Credits & Usage

Original face and hair models by Rhedd.
Original face and hair textures by Allerleirauh.

[email protected]
http://home.wnm.net/~bgriff

You may use and distribute the models and textures freely without
additional permission as long as the above credits and contact information
are included and they are distributed free of charge.[/code]

Link to the faces: [url="http://home.wnm.net/~bgriff/MW_Face02_Download.html"]http://home.wnm.net/~bgriff/MW_Face02_Download.html[/url]

EDIT: BTW We had lots of different textures (maybe 100+) for those face models too, the elven faces might not exactly fit, but there were plenty of ordinary faces. If you want I can ask if I can get permission to use them in this project, with proper credits for them of course. Edited by fidel_

That head sure looks good. Especially the eye section is a piece of art!

The neck isn't included with the head model. The neck and torso you can see in that pic are Morrowind models and we couldn't usen them even if we wanted to since they're under copyprotection. Oh and one other thing, those heads are built so that they can blink and speak with proper animations, if there ever would be any need for that. :D Texture size is 256x256 and polygon count is under 500 for each face. You can see more of them in the link I posted. Maybe someone from the top can email him and ask if they can be used?

only problem is the morrowind faces also include mouths and faces that would be hidden under the helmet, so it might take some tweaking to get them working right and nt blow the poly counts.

That face looks awesome, we should definitely consider an email to him. One of the senior members will compose a message for that, we want to be official with it and all that. Thanks for the info Fidel, very cool stuff.