XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Game Menu

Guest Jim69

Cool, we on the same wavelength now. I completly understand u sayin that the other btn's aren't gonna b decided 4 a long while yet, I was just putting them there really 2 fill space :) OK, I'm gonna take everyones suggestions here and try and make something a little closer 2 the other screens, while still maintaning a flow thru the opening screens based on Vaaish's original menu screen.

I think that's the best way 2 go, 2 have a different look but simular style thru until the Geoscape. I'll also remove all the btn's apart from Start, Cancel and Game Difficulty. Gimmie a couple of days and I'll ave something decent 2 show ya :)

Any suggestions on a bg I could use? I kinda like the space scene I nicked off another website, prehaps looking at the Earth in the top right? My opinion is that it would flow nicely into the Earth globe on the Geoscape. Edited by Jim69

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest desaturating the scene between the frames slightly in order to bring the menu out a little more, since the menu is in cold/dark colours and the lense flare and rock are warm and bright. This will push the scene back and bring the menu out. As it stands the frames seem to be on top and the scene in the back ground but they are fighting for supremecy.

Fair game, I'm gonna lose the lens flare ne way, and since this came from a space website I can't use it ne way :( So, I'll ave 2 create my own. I don't personally think the red colours work very well anyway so I was gonna use my own version ne way. 4 the look I am imagining, think of the first scene in Independance Day.

K, I lost all the other options except the game difficulty one, are there any other options that would be used 4 v1.0? Oh yeah, and the X-Corps logo is 2 fill space until there is something better 2 go there/more options.

No can do, I am planning 2 have the frame slide down from the start up screen, so I'd say post in the Startup Screen post coz I am thinkin that the New game, Load, Accounts and start up screen should all have this border, then leading into the Geoscape which has a different look but simular colours. I am considering bevelling the border 4 the box that Game Setting is in but that may not work since it has 2 be of a simular theme 2 the rest of the option boxes.

Since the static boarder (ie, the bright green that boarders the simulated tv screen with the blue boarder) is the only think on the entire menu of it's saturation and brightness and attracts much too much attention. It severly detracts from the composition of the menu.

I don't know what you thought I meant by static. What I meant was noise pattern.

I knew what u were talking about, u also said that u wanted the frame of the screen bevelled, and I told u why not. It is gonna look mighty strange if it slides down and then mysteriously changes contrast/depth. If u ave a problem with it comment on the source not the clone.

Edit: And last time I checked all the contrast did is darken the colours tho I may be wrong :rolleyes: Edited by Jim69

The edges of the frames are already bevelled. I suggested to increase the opacity of the bevel in order to bring out the frames after you remove the bright static.

Please read my posts before you reply. Thanks.

Edit: Contrast increases the maximum brightness of all colours while brightness decreases the maximum darkness (greys out black). Edited by fux0r666

I have stopped reading ur posts, because u obviously seem 2 think that I am against u and will disagree with anything u say so u decide 2 do the same thing. I am not gonna be the one 2 start a flame war here, there was a simular project who suffered from the same thing and they are now dead. I am not going 2 let that happen coz u r paranoid about my posts. I am going 2 argue, I am fine with u arguing with me, but when we just cover the same ground over and over then it is pointless.

I am fine with criticism but when I quite clearly say that I am not making any changes 2 the border of this screen since the startup screen is going 2 slide into it and it must be the same 4 this effect 2 work it is just plain stupid. Post [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=1924&st=105"]here[/url] any adjustments u want to the contrast of the bevelling effect, contrast of the green haze effect or whatever else adjustments u want. So unless it's an idea of what background I could use, or what layout of menu then there is no point arguing ne more.

Well, if u do think that I always just disagree with ur posts just coz I think u r a twat then that's ur view and u r welcome 2 it. I won't lose any sleep over it, and I'm not going to argue over something this petty. I suggest u keep in mind that when u have had a valid point I have agreed with it, and when I see differently I have stated so.

Now I am going 2 stop posting about things like this because they waste my time and anyone who happens 2 read this. I suggest u do the same.

Now, since there is a lot of posts that have veered away from the discussion here I will repost my question 4 those who can't be arsed 2 scroll thru all this and find it. Are there any other options 4 this screen that would be in V1.0, or is all that is needed the difficulty buttons? Prehaps an auto save button? Or a location box to create an initial save on starting? Edited by Jim69

Jim, basiclally all he wants you to do is tone the light static looking border around the edges down some. I agree the static edges worked in the otherone because of how the background pic was used but here it should probably be toned down somewhat.

This is a relatively minor thing so down't worry about it for now wait until you get the rest of the menu finished to tweak this.

666: concentrate more on the menu layout and design and less on the background image. you are making a mountain out of a molehill considering the image used there isn't final and the settings of that "screen" edge will eventally have to be tweaked to work with that.

Let's get back to discussing the screen rather than arguing with each other. If additional posts focus more on why one person is ignoring another, I'll remove them. Let's accept that some people have differing opinions, but that doesn't make either wrong, OK?

I suggest that either Jim send any interested party the image file so they can post their idea, or they can copy/paste from the images on this thread. These are all concepts, so if anybody else would like to post their own versions, whether they're variations or totally different from existing ones, feel free.

Mamutas has been working on various menus, and I thought we would be sticking closely to that UI look. I can see having something a little different on the main menu, but a new game menu IMO isn't any different than an options menu or save game menu for how it should look. Mamutas' work is more towards the coding side, so we can consider additional graphics and possibly positioning, I don't know how that affects the coding if at all. So if you're wanting these ideas to be v1 stuff, that limits how far you can drift from Mamutas recommendations.

I know, I figure that past v1.0 there are gonna be a lot more options, whatever they may be, so we should allow 4 space. And the only place the new game menu will be seen is thru the Startup Screen, so I think it is OK if they are a different style, altho as u say there should be things that tie them 2gether. Here is the PSD file, but as I have said consistantly there is no point having the outside border look different from the startup screen as it would ruin the flow of these screens. If the BG doesn't fit with the outside borders then the BG should be changed, not the outside screen.

I said when I posted it that it was only an idea of how it should look, we are not authorised 2 use the BG ne wayz so it has 2 be changed. Here the file is 4 ne1 wanting 2 change ne thing, tho U would encourage peeps 2 make changes 2 the startup screen as this is what the outside is based upon, it is mearly moved so that it could slide 2 the edges in an animation when the new game option is chosen. And AFAIK this screen prob will be included in v1.0, albeit with little options. I think it will be a lot easier if we allow 4 more options l8r rather than changing the whole thing. Edited by Jim69

And since it's Jim's concept, others should only use his file to explain a change, not take it and and start modding it as their own. I think that would limit a member's desire to present their work...

Without expressed permission I think that that would be a serious offence. If I was to do something like that I would fully expect expulsion from the project- the same goes for creative text. The contents of people's own brains are precious... mmm... precious braaaains.

I don't know about others, but if someone sees something that they think they could change 2 the PSD file then I give them full permission to change it as long as they repost the modified PSD file here. The more creative influences the better IMO.

Ah yes, plagerism. I am all for peeps helping, as long as they don't try and pass it off as their work. Tho it isn't really that much of a problem since I think everyone here knows that the main section of this screen was based off Vaaish's screen ne wayz, so I haven't got the right 2 say "This is all my own work" coz it isn't. Just the idea of how it might go from screen 2 screen, and the sliding down part. Tho I do see ur point.

I totally agree that if anybody's work is altered to make a new version, credit should be given along the lines of "Based on X made by Y". But realise that once a person posts their work to the project, it becomes open source material no different from the game itself. This is mentioned somewhere in the submissions guidelines or main page, I forget where. But all submissions are subject to the GPL or LGPL licenses, so somebody taking and modding an idea is free to do so, they certainly won't be tossed out for it. But as a courtesy they should at least say if they've used somebody else's work as a basis for their own. This came up before regarding 3D models or music I think.

So the short answer is if you like something but want to make changes, feel free to do so while keeping credits to the original.

Guest drewid
It's fairly rare in the games industry (at least wherever I've worked) for any piece of work to be done by a single person. pieces will often be revised or polished or bug-fixed or poly reduced by someone else than the original creator.

This is a vey good thing because it's far too easy to get a blind spot about some aspect of a piece, It's very common for a fresh pair of eyes to spot a problem that the originator will miss.

learning how to handle this aspect of teamwork is a big part of maturing as an artist, (or coder or musician or designer). It's the fastest way to learn how to be objective about your own work, which is the best way to improve.

Makes sense 2 me, I spose ur right that recognition isn't necessary 4 work since the whole thing is a group effort. I ain't got no probs with that as long as peeps don't start going "Hey, look at this great piece of art I created all on my own" when it obviously ain't true, I ain't never gonna do that and I don't think ne1 here would do that either.

Sayin that, everyone here knows who is responsible 4 what, and in the end it won't mean nowt as it will be a complete game, not with little tooltips over models sayin "This soldier was created by Jim69" -_-

Hey drewid, what game projects ave u worked on? Anything I'd ave played?

:LOL:
every x-net entry: design *****, model: *****, name *****, text, **** & ****, eventually more credits than text itself... I can see lots of people skipping the x-net alltogether :D

edit: but isn't this going slightly off-topic? If wanted I could create a new topic where anyone can spout their ideas or concerns about using other peoples work, but this is supposed to be about a 'new game menu'... Edited by j'ordos

Guest drewid
[quote name='Jim69' date='Aug 31 2003, 10:05 AM']Hey drewid, what game projects ave u worked on? Anything I'd ave played?[/quote]
:D

Oh Yes, I can guarantee it. Edited by drewid

However, for those younger artists who are eagre to add works and credit to their portfolio, I hope to be able to retain the rights to my original work, ie, the photoshop paintings and the creative text (and maybe some music) that doesn't make it into the final release.

Either that, or I wish to have a credits screen that scrolls down through the various departments and lists off all contributors, even if a few people come up 2ce. So if someone takes a CT from a babble I've (or anyone else has) written I (or they) would show up in the CT list too under a special thanks list or something.

I have no problem with suggestions and fresh sets of eyes. Those are welcomed and every criticism is given lots, sometimes days, of consideration. In fact, I'm still mulling over the Muton concept.

Putting anything but Xnet info in xnet would be highly counter productive as far as immersion goes.

I research my work before I start quite heavily but I try to have what comes out as original as possible. For the purposes of menus, that's more of a design and layout sort of job, and it would be expected that all who participate on that sub-team would be working within the confines of a solid set of guidelines. In that line, being able to work on someone else's design is an asset.

k, b4 I go back on topic, I understand those who want 2 use parts of work in their portfolio's, but personally I do what I do not 4 recognition but coz I love X-Com, was disappointed by the last 2 projects getting cancelled and have always been interested as 2 how a game is made.

Right, here is a draft of the menu that we can use now, the background is my own image so we have the rights 2 do whatever we want 2 it :)

I want it 2 show the view from Mars that the ISS would have ( lets just assume it is built by now ) and that it has been disabled by the Aliens. I want it 2 be the last view of the Space Station so some idea's I have are subtle alien references ( like maybe a shadow of a UFO that u can see in the distance, or a laser beam flash coming towards the camera ).

Good Jim!!!
But, uhh, isn't the international spacestation supposed to be orbiting earth? So, what is orbiting mars with low 02 and power? Very good though. You may want to make it look more like mars in the backgound (red instead of moon white.), Also, could you make some ufos fly by occasionally on the screen (in the actual game, I assume this screen will be animated? Make ufos fly across every once and a while in the background.) If you can, it would be cool. Also, add them shooting various sattalites and spacestations! :) This is going to be the coolest menu screen yet!

Coz it's been blown the **** up, was sent out of Earth orbit and went into Mars orbit :) Or maybe the Aliens stole it out of our orbit 2 see what humans are doing in space and how advanced we are. We can add stuff that will make this more apparent, whether it be by text or by suggestion of images.

Yeah sounds good, it needs something more definatly, but not too much or it will distract u.

Here is what I think is a better version, tell me what u think, mainly tweaks with the colouring and I changed Vaaish's startup screen 2 match this 1's colours so it can slide down like I think it should. Here's the pic:

Yeah, the difference is mainly in the layer setup so it is a little more organised 4 peeps wanting 2 alter it 2 their own ideas, the main changes are slight contrast differences between screens which I changed and some of the writting into a different style. Which looking at it I am not completly happy with, but I'll let others post some views 1st.

I think it's more a placeholder that could be replaced by whatever official graphic is chosen. Awesome pic Jim! I can see having the green static lines slightly moving to create the static effect. I see it being the station as it orbits earth, looking out towards mars. You could have the planet slowing spinning below. Deimos is working on an opening animation scene, perhaps he could suggest a little something to spice it up as you said, and tie them together as well? I think just having a little movement on screen would work quite well too.

I would like to see the station in orbit attacked! I mean, if I were in command of the aliens (as I just may well be in v10+) I would take out sattalites and Spacestations before I start sending my battleships. Sure when you are scouting, you wouldn't kill them off, but once you actually give up stealth and start killing humans on a mass scale, I figure you would want to disadvantage the humans as much as possible (as xcom is rapidly learning and becoming stronger...)

Anyway, Good concept Jim. Could we have some sound built into the intro? Like, in the beginning we have a dudes voice saying something to the tune of "This is shuttle freedom, we are hevily damaged, oxygen is venting, we are under atta- OH MY GOD! <Sectoid chatter and what will come to be recognized as an heavy plasma blast> Shuttle freedom come in! <static>

Yeah, animations cool :) And the way I have done it I could model the whole solar system if I wish reletively easily, get a layout of the solar system and u got a full working model of Sol :) I ain't heard from Deimos in a while, he still lurkin round?

I don't think the aliens would take out the satalites simply coz they aren't getting in their way. If something gets in the way ( X-Corps ) of their mission then they destroy it, otherwise IMO they are fairly single minded in their approach. That is also the way we can at least give X-Corps a stepping stone in the war or they would be completly anniahlated. The ISS however has humans on board so they'd probably destroy it, or at least hit it when they come into the atmosphere :) We can say a Battleship just bumped it out the way :)

I like sound, it should be understated tho IMO. Plus we need the voice talent 4 that and that ain't easy 2 find.

Well, jim you are correct again.
But, about the sattalites, they are in their way, they are allowing the humans to communicate, so I figure they would take them out to atleast hamper communications between human militaries.

Understated huh? how about this:
"This is shuttle freedom, we have been hit by something, uhh, looks like a large asteroid or a meteor, wait, some debris looks like it is going to hit us, hang on. <a warning siren goes off> what th- OH MY GOD! <what will later be known as a heavy plasma blast is heard> Shuttle Freedom! Come in Freedom!"

jim fade that background pic by about 25% as it stands now the menu is merging with the background and we really need to make it pop a bit more.