XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - Laser Pistol

mikker

you mean...

...like this?

the upper edge, is because the highelst piece is thinner then the lower, so i have to isolate that area. The front piece is also thinner. Edited by mikker

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah kinda like that, now of those 3 triangles you have the one farthest towrd the muzzle try setting that in it's own shading group. Can you post it w/o the wireframe on this one so we can see how the shading groups are working now?

Ok, in the attached image the circled polys represent polys that need to be placed in separate shading groups to fix the striations.

On Vaaish's last pic, perhaps if you unweld the far right poly in the red-circle group? That should help. You could try it on some of the others as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
nice mikker! looks like the rendering could require some anti-aliasing though :wink:

THe pistol is coming along great! I have issues with the shape of the bottom of the handle. It seems clumsy... And I would like to suggest that you accentuate the change in shape of the upper receiver(sic) by putting in a ridge or a shelf that seperates it from the rounded top.... and then join the ridge to the square bit at the back...

.....||
_/===\_
|...(_)...|
|....O....|
.\-------/
...|.|.|.|
...|.|_|.|
...|......|
...|......|
...\----/

../-----\----------------------------------|-\
/..........\====================+
|........................................................|]
|........................................................|]
\___________________|.................|
..=................/.........||......|.................|
....\............./..........//........\_______/
.....|...........|=====
....|...........|
.../............|
..|.............|
..|.............|
..|.............|
.+----_____\

edit:working on appearance of ascii art. Edited by fux0r666

[quote name='Vaaish' date='Jan 25 2004, 04:20 PM']looking good. Can I get a side view of that, there is something odd about the trigger guard.[/quote]
like this?

perfect. the trigger guard looks awkward like they ran out of material to make it. try making it more like the trigger guard on a glock, eg more horizontal at the bottom portion and a starper turn to vertical. kinda like this:

|
|
/
_______/

I like that model. I just wonder why is the previous version of it in deimos' topic "Completed Designs" if it wasn't even complete! Well anyways, good job mikker, can't wait to see that textured.

The completed designs is for completed/approved concepts, not necessarily modeled, textured, and/or animated. Perhaps the trigger might seem better if it were solid, meaning that it goes straight back into the grip rather than being a seperate piece?

If it was me doing it. I'd make the lines round the base of the handgrip look more parallel and deliberate, perhaps put a power pack in.

I couldn't make out from this angle what the thing on the back of the forestock was.
Handle straighter by moving the curve further up to the top, trigger and guard a bit beefier.

feel free to use or ignore

[quote name='drewid' date='Jan 27 2004, 10:06 AM']perhaps put a power pack in.

I couldn't make out from this angle what the thing on the back of the forestock was.[/quote]
that piece WAS the power pack :rolleyes:

yes, i think that your trigger gard looks better. lemme look at it.

What the... what did you do with it? try to get it more like drewid's pic, not the opposite. It should be more bulky with a longer thicker handle and shorter back part... now it looks like the front part weights much more than the rest of the gun and makes it unbalanced to shoot with...

I agree with whitewashed, I don't understand what did you do to the handle! But I like that latest version too. It's cool.

thicken up the handle and .... perfect!

Now everyone take a look back at the first model ever done in this thread.

ain't evolution fascinating?

Mikker:
I know the usual is CTD change before model change, but since you're tweaking it anyway, here's something I'd like to bring to your attention...

In the laser pistol CTD, I said that the part under the barrel is where the radiators for the laser core is, and that the primary capacitor is in the handle, which matches Drewid's concept... Which I also think looks much cooler...

So the extension in the front is a heat sink of sorts? I was also wondering what the switch/doodad in front of the trigger guard was.

well, should i just delete it? or what? (for thte thingamabob)

oooh, i though drewid commented on the SHAPE of the trigger guard.

what about this then?

try to make the back of the gun and grip match what Drewid posted up there. now it looks liek the back is unaturally enlongated.

I agree with Vaaish, especially about the grip. Edited by Nyyperoid

Yes, grip and back as on drewids pic, it looks like a mean gun that way :laser:

The current pic makes the gun look very long and tall like a carbine almost. I would enlarge the handle and the trigger and trigger guard in order to scale the barrel down a bit. I like the proportions and the lines on the upper part better pre-drewids pic suggestions. If you could return the geometry to that configuration and encorperate drewid's suggestions, and perhaps lengthen the handle + make the trigger/guard larger, your design would look very convincing indeed.

[quote]well, should i just delete it? or what? (for thte thingamabob)[/quote]

Yeah, my recomendation would be to delete it... I remember that you initially put it there as the power pack, which should be in the pistol grip, if anywhere (Cause I wrote the CTD with the idea that the primary capacitor wasn''t designed to be swapped like a magazine in the first place...)

I also agree with Fux's comments.

[quote name='Zipperhead' date='Feb 2 2004, 12:39 PM']doodle for the pistol[/quote]
you might want to check the art assets list, the pistol is already complete.

[quote name='Vaaish' date='Feb 2 2004, 07:40 PM'][quote name='Zipperhead' date='Feb 2 2004, 12:39 PM'] doodle for the pistol[/quote]
you might want to check the art assets list, the pistol is already complete. [/quote]
Uh, I think he meant the pic as guidelines for the laser pistol :D

in that case it looks way to much like a ballistic based handgun with a laser sight. there porbably wouldn't be a need for it to have the hammer on the read since there isn't a firing pin that needs to be hit.

Looks like the original concept is getting kind of devolved. Just as a reminder here's my original concept pic that Mikker was basing the model off.

The bronze bit under the barrel is the high capacity 'battery' unit which slots in like a like a tape in a tape deck.
I put the battery there to counterbalance the weight of the capacitors in the grip which I envisioned were quite heavy and threw the gun's weight off.

Other than that the design was inspired by the DE for its size.

[quote name='mikker' date='Feb 2 2004, 10:07 PM']Though we might watch out for it bekomming too human.[/quote]
Well, the laser weapons are 100% human, you know

[quote name='Whitewashed' date='Feb 2 2004, 04:16 PM'][quote name='mikker' date='Feb 2 2004, 10:07 PM'] Though we might watch out for it bekomming too human.[/quote]
Well, the laser weapons are 100% human, you know [/quote]
ok, then too "nowdays" human. it should be more "futoristic" human.

[quote name='Deimos' date='Feb 2 2004, 04:16 PM']The bronze bit under the barrel is the high capacity 'battery' unit which slots in like a like a tape in a tape deck.
I put the battery there to counterbalance the weight of the capacitors in the grip which I envisioned were quite heavy and threw the gun's weight off.[/quote]
Hmm...
I'd figure that if the heaviest part (i.e. the capacitors) are placed almost directly over the grip, it'd be the most balanced design for a handgun style weapon, and as such, won't require a counter balance beneath the barrel(IMHO, that actually unbalances the gun).

Given that gravity works straight down, having most of the weight concentrated in the grip works best as then it'll be easier to support the weight. The user'd just have to hold the weapon. If the weight of the gun was "spread out" the whole design, the user'd be force to support both the front and the back(Think of a lever with similiar weights over both ends with the user holding on to one end.

Forgive me if I got this wrong Tzuchan but it seems like you're saying pretty much what I said in my post. The capacitors [i]are[/i] in the grip. The heaviest part is at the bottom of the gun (the capacitors). In comparison the battery pack is lightweight to them, but to balance the gun the battery is placed there to give the user a stable firing platform.

Most all of the rest of the gun is either circuit boards or the focussing lens' /firing assembly. Heck most of the gun could be made out of lightweight thermoplastic as it doesn't have to withstand the repeated high levels of mechanical stress a ballistic pistol has to.

There wouldn't be any kick to the weapon so the weight has to be distributed around the weapon in such a way to give the operator the reassurance that it is a proper weapon and not just a toy.

[quote]he heaviest part is at the bottom of the gun (the capacitors). In comparison the battery pack is lightweight to them, but to balance the gun the battery is placed there to give the user a stable firing platform.[/quote]
Modern supercapacitors are made of aerogel,(lightest material ever) loaded with carbon dust. (also very light) They aren't that heavy, compared to Nickel-Metal-Hydride batteries. (solid metal/liquids)
If you check out the reallife (but weak) gauss pistol in [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1744&hl=gauss+pistol"]this thread[/url], you'll notice that the batteries are in the handle, and the capacitors are everywhere else.

Older capacitors were much heavier, because they were made of a metal coil and electrolyte liquid. The new supercapacitors are much lighter, and about 100K times better(no fooling!) for their size.

--Edit: They're also much more expensive. Aerogel isn't cheap, but I dunno if it's 100K times more expensive...:)-- Edited by Robo Dojo 58

I think we might be getting a bit too detailed here, seeing as we are building a 3d model rather than a working prototype.

Q) Does the last one Mikker did >look< balanced.
A) No it looks a bit barrel heavy

Solution, make the grip a bit bigger .

Something else affecting the look of your pics Mikker, change the camera focal length in your viewport. It looks like it's set to 65mm or something high, which warps the view when objects are close to the lens. Set it to 25-35 for a more realistic look. But on top of that, yeah the grip should become heavier compared to the barrel.

[quote name='Breunor' date='Feb 4 2004, 09:50 AM']Something else affecting the look of your pics Mikker, change the camera focal length in your viewport. It looks like it's set to 65mm or something high, which warps the view when objects are close to the lens. Set it to 25-35 for a more realistic look. But on top of that, yeah the grip should become heavier compared to the barrel.[/quote]
i don't get what you mean....i havn't scaled any of my models.

This is the same model viewed at the same angle. The left pic is taken at 65mm, the right side is at 25mm and zoomed back a little sit it would fit. As you can see the proportions are a little warped between them. I've seen a rifle that looked like it was bent in the middle because this setting was really high. If you pistol pics are taken at any kind of angle (barrel closer to the camera than the handle) and this setting is over 30, it will make the barrel look bigger than it really is. Edited by Breunor