XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - Laser Pistol

mikker

I've scaled the back part up a bit, so it ain't so front heavy. I've taken it fromt the side to demonstrate the scale better, thanks brenour.

POLYCOUNT: 1250

i've also done a low poly mode of it with a little more then 600 polys. I doubt it will be used though, i only wanted to test how low i could get it down. Edited by mikker

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And that knob at the bottom of the grip, it's always looked kinda odd to me. Weird shape and all. 'Squaring' it perhaps would shup me up. (Not necessarily *a* square, but... you know). Kinda like what Deimos' pic a little higher up has got.
Unless, of course, everyone else has got no complaints about it.

[quote name='hippyjon' date='Feb 13 2004, 11:13 AM']there should be something to make it stand out more from an ordinary pistol, and i think thats it.[/quote]
don't worry about standing out that much. it have a diffrent texture set when its done.

• 1 month later...
:devillaugh: PAW!

polycount: 1011 (proberly more, guessing of 1500 because of editable POLY)

texturing: 50% (bugs, front piece needed) Edited by mikker

Wow. That gun is really coming along. The texture reminds me of ceramic plates, for some reason. :)

One thing looks pretty odd. The screw near the front of the barrel looks like it wraps around a hard corner. It gives a pretty odd look to the texture.

--Edit: My mistake. I didn't look at the trigger from enough angles.-- Edited by Robo Dojo 58

[quote name='Robo Dojo 58' date='Mar 29 2004, 02:11 PM']Also, the sharpness of detail on the trigger makes it stand out. A lower quality texture would help it fit in with the rest of the gun, IMO.[/quote]
what do you mean?

yeah, i'll fix the screw thingy.

Oops, my mistake. The dark spots on the trigger looked like a texture when I saw it. I thought it looked like a super-hi def texture, which would've looked odd on only one part of the gun.

Sorry for any confusion. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

Hmm, I wouldn't try to use the concept pic as a texture, they are really 2 different things. It's good for reference, but the texture would have a different layout to work better. It does show where the faces don't line up like the pic does, where you can see deformations. That might be an aid to help you adjust verts to line things up.

The front of the gun is looking good, can we see another side shot of the model in flat shade mode? There's just something not working where the barrel and grip come together, and it should stand out the most in flat shade. Maybe I'm wrong, but the grip on Deimos' concept looks flat down the sides, there is no increase in thickness from left to right, which is what I'm perceiving in your model. i wonder if that is affecting it?

I know its not a 3ds tutorial but [url="http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/c4dtuts/gun03t1.html"]here's[/url] a rather complete tut on how to model and skin a gun, Mikker.

To be honest the concept pic is a really bad resource to use if you want to map the gun. The reason for that is because I used differing shades and highlights to make up the varying parts. You want to use flat textures with no distortions if you can really help it. Things like the mounting points and the large screw at the front of the barrel were drawn with the perspective of the gun in mind rather than applying them to a model so no matter what they'll look skewed and the light sourcing will be wrong when looking at certain angles.

If it'd help, I can draw up some flat maps for your textures based on the concept and you can map those on.

That metal plating on the gun, should't it look slightly more lined up or at least these curves could have some sense, since this way it looks to me like melted gun , not something capable of shooting...

That's how I see it... And btw, great designs!

Mikker you want to het hold of UVmapper or a similar freeware uv mapping tool. [url="http://www.unwrap3d.com/"]http://www.unwrap3d.com/[/url] or [url="http://www.uvmapper.com/"]http://www.uvmapper.com/[/url]

I personally like UVmapper better :)

Those will make your mapping much easier than using 3ds' mapping options. You're not the only one that doesn't get on with it ;)

I'll get those textures done and uploaded asap for you.

[quote name='Deimos' date='Mar 31 2004, 10:29 PM']Mikker you want to het hold of UVmapper or a similar freeware uv mapping tool. [url="http://www.unwrap3d.com/"]http://www.unwrap3d.com/[/url] or [url="http://www.uvmapper.com/"]http://www.uvmapper.com/[/url]

I personally like UVmapper better :)

Those will make your mapping much easier than using 3ds' mapping options. You're not the only one that doesn't get on with it ;)

I'll get those textures done and uploaded asap for you.[/quote]
heh, thanks :D

gonna play arround with this baby...

Mikker here's a jpg of the texture. I've not placed the pieces in any particuar order, nor have I sized them correctly to the gun. This is because I don't have it as a reference so you'll have to resize stuff to fit. Those texture pieces are 256x256 each apart from the screws which I figured you wouldn't need them as large.

I have the psd if you want the original to move stuff around and resize it. Just give me a shout and I'll upload it.

• 2 months later...
I need to get the design done before i can texture it. Is this just me, or does this one look like a hair drier?

[quote name='mikker' date='Jun 12 2004, 04:44 PM']Is this just me, or does this one look like a hair drier?[/quote]
:LOL: It's just you, IMO it looks great and ready for texturing..

I think the hair drierness comes from the fact that the barrel is skinnier than the body of the weapon. Since the laser rifle's barrel is the same width I would consider making the body the same width and that would blend the two together and make it look less like a machine with a ported tube coming out the front.

Also, make the trigger fill the entire trigger guard. As it is, the trigger would be stabbing you in the mid finger with the point it has there.

I agree with having a thinner barrel, since it consists of the focusing mirrors mostly. Having the proportions differ from a standard firearm is a good thing IMO, shows there's something else going on in there.

[quote]Is this just me, or does this one look like a hair drier?[/quote]
Well, you can dry your hair with a laser, can't you? You can't do that with a gun. :wink:

Yes. The weapons in the xnet should look freashly out of the workshop. We might even make it spark a bit and

*crash*

What the....TOMMY! WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING IN THE WORKSHOP?!

Ehm....i was just....

MY LASER PISTOL?! WHAT THE HECK HAVE YOU DONE TO IT?!

it fell on the floor and it broke...

BROKE?! MY LASER PISTOL PROTOTYPE?!

Yeah....but why don't we just use the...

TOMMY! GET THE BLODDY heck OUT OF MY WORKSHOP!

[quote name='fux0r666' date='Jun 15 2004, 08:12 PM']Just to draw your attention to anyone who can't identify the above pic, it is a skin template for the laser pistol.  I think it would better serve us in the laser pistol thread.  Feel free to kill this post.[/quote]
:unsure: wasn't it where i posted it?

As for the powersuit: the laserpistol design may very well be researched before the laser pistol. They just have to change the powersuit design, by not having that much armor at the fingertips. Edited by mikker

oh. my. god. I just noticed that when i split open an instance copy, it will also split open the original. So now i have nothing. -_-

[quote name='mikker' date='Jun 16 2004, 05:07 PM']:unsure: wasn't it where i posted it?[/quote]
Uhmmm... no, you posted it with the craft weapons :P
[quote name='Mikker' date=' Jun 16 2004, 05:36 PM']oh. my. god. I just noticed that when i split open an instance copy, it will also split open the original. So now i have nothing.[/quote]
How do you mean? If you're referring to the skinning job according to that tutorial, you're supposed to cut up the original one, then instance those parts and arrange the instanced parts so they fit in the box. Then, when you've added the UVW modifier to those instanced parts (by acquiring it 'absolute' from the reference rectangle), they are also added to the original parts, making the map you've just created perfectly to fit on it. The last step is simply to select one of the original parts (it is very important to leave those parts in the exact position they were, or you'll have to figure out exactly how to place it again :) ) and convert it to an editable mesh. Then you can just select 'Attach' or 'Attach List' to select the other parts of the model, so they all recombine into one mesh again, but the UVW modifier will still be placed correctly for the individual parts (which are now part of the single mesh)...if I'm making any sense here :)

[quote name='j'ordos' date='Jun 16 2004, 02:02 PM']How do you mean? If you're referring to the skinning job according to that tutorial, you're supposed to cut up the original one, then instance those parts and arrange the instanced parts so they fit in the box. Then, when you've added the UVW modifier to those instanced parts (by acquiring it 'absolute' from the reference rectangle), they are also added to the original parts, making the map you've just created perfectly to fit on it. The last step is simply to select one of the original parts (it is very important to leave those parts in the exact position they were, or you'll have to figure out exactly how to place it again :) ) and convert it to an editable mesh. Then you can just select 'Attach' or 'Attach List' to select the other parts of the model, so they all recombine into one mesh again, but the UVW modifier will still be placed correctly for the individual parts (which are now part of the single mesh)...if I'm making any sense here :)[/quote]
Thats the problem. I didn't cut it up, i just took a instance copy of the model.

Must've misread the tutorial.....

Back to the drawing board i guess :cussing:

...either that, or i could force Tommy to glue it back together... :LOL: Edited by mikker

Wait, so you instanced the model, and then detached parts of that instanced model, right? Isn't the original model cut up in just the same manner then? And as long as you didn't move the parts from one of those models you can still attach those together again. Or does the 'Detach' command not get carried over across instances? :unsure:

I have just looked at the model and I was thinking... laser gun hasn't the kickback!! Can't we do a gun designed in a different way? For example a stick to be applied on the wrist?
:plasma:

[quote name='exio82' date='Jun 16 2004, 03:04 PM']I have just looked at the model and I was thinking... laser gun hasn't the kickback!! Can't we do a gun designed in a different way? For example a stick to be applied on the wrist?
:plasma:[/quote]
!!
You're right! It could be almost in whatever shape.. That's some challenge to art people :D

I believe that we want the weapons to be recognizable as weapons and realistic representations of what they might look like. No matter what technology weapon developers impliment, the handheld prototype usually takes the shape of a conventional small arm.

From a logistics point of view, designing weapon classes that are similar in size and shape means we can have an economic use of model animations.

And from an 'as if this was real' point of view that's sort of in line with the previous point, any new military weapon will most likely have handles on the bottom and sites on the top to facilitate easy cross training between conventional weapons and newer weapons.

exio82, I don't know what you mean by kickback. If you mean slide, the laser would need no slide because it would need no moving parts.

Do you mean emotional kickback? Do you find the aesthetic design lacking in some way?

[quote name='fux0r666' date='Jun 16 2004, 10:38 PM']exio82, I don't know what you mean by kickback.  If you mean slide, the laser would need no slide because it would need no moving parts[/quote]
The model is ok and looks very cool; thanks j'ordos for the explanation :-)
fux0r666: I agree with you that the weapon should look like a classical weapon, but soldiers with special training could use a ligher or more powerful weapon..
It can be used for stealth soldiers that must hide their weapon. For example infiltrators or body-guards... I imagine a stealth laser gun like a pencil applied on a wrist with a single-shot or a small fiber optic cable connected to a laser generator in the back-pack

Having custom sized weapons like that would be handy for covert ops, but since these guys are effectively dropping into a war zone that's really not a worry. Also the weapon's size is partly due to heat dissipation, while there's no recoil the material used helps protect the user from burns and all that. So the weapon is likely made from composites and ceramic rather than steel, and would weigh less because of that. The barrel is thick because there are focusing crystals inside to make a really tight beam IIRC.

Tommy have partially clued it together, and the texture is comming along nicely.

BUT: I just put on half of the model back on, then max crashes, leaving me with almost nothing. -_- I hate this. Why doesn't it ever work for me :(

edit: god praise autobackup :master: it saved right before it crashed :D Edited by mikker

• 2 weeks later...
On the lines of a different design for the laser. You could try a wrist grip with a bar that runs through the closed hand, turn the hand sideways and add two "cannon" thingys "barrels" maybe. ANyway just an idea.

bountyhunter2211

[quote name='bountyhunter2211' date='Jul 3 2004, 09:35 PM']On the lines of a different design for the laser.  You could try a wrist grip with a bar that runs through the closed hand, turn the hand sideways and add two "cannon" thingys "barrels" maybe.  ANyway just an idea.

bountyhunter2211[/quote]
a picture would be nice, i don't fully understand what you are saying there.