ART - Laser Pistol

mikker

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[quote name='Beetle' date='Mar 18 2005, 06:58 PM']Don't we have to port it to ogre mesh before closing?

Beetle
[right][post="114643"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Not particularly.... the art aspect of the model is finished, we just need to feed the final files to you guys to export for Ogre... at least that is the impression of how this was dgoing to work.

I think that it isn't programmers job to export the model, becouse it's artist that knows how to texture the model, how to apply UV maps etc., we can only provide tools. We can help with writting .material scripts, but rest of the work must go to artist, becouse I in example don't know how to layout proper UV map, export texture etc. 3D packages are artists field, I only know my Visual Studio :)

Anyway, how can I help with exporting model?

BTW, you know that EVERYTHING must be textured using UV mapping, right? Well, mostly, but no procedural textures can be applied on mesh in-game (we can have procedural textures, but this requires us - programmers - to write texture generation algorithm, which may be different from what you have in 3D modelling program, so for now use normal textures). Also, the less materials the model has, the more optimized it is. So having one material per model is what has to be considered a requirement. We can make also a "common" materials for let's say shiny surfaces or sth like that, but main model material should be made out of as few textures as possible (say 2-3 at most) with textures applied using UV mapping.

Guyver Edited by guyver6

ok then tell me where the tools are for teh 3ds MAX exporter and we will get yu the model. and yes everything is UV mapped.

First of all when we give us model properly exported to dotXSI format we can handle it from there (I think :wink1: ).

dotXSI exporter for 3ds is surely available from [url="http://www.softimage.com/Connect/xsi/FreeConnections.htm"]www.softimage.com[/url]. You can find there also dotXSI viewer, which will show you how model looks (and how most probably it will look in-game).

Ogre precompiled exporters and viewer can be found on [url="http://www.ogre3d.org/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=57&func=selectcat&cat=5"]Ogre's site[/url].

What else?

Guyver

EDIT: btw, I love that laser pistol model :)
Another EDIT: @Shinzon: could you make normals map instead of bump map? We already have shader that can do normal mapping. If you can't, then just give me bump map and I'll convert it to normals map. Edited by guyver6

Gyver... art has been having serious issues getting models into dotXSI, textures not coming through, exporter problems et al. I think it's just going to be easiest to set a high end platform (right now it looks like the majority of the art department uses 3dsMAX) and use that for the final stage editor for texturing and animation. In the long run I believe this will make things much more standardized and workable that wrestleing with the exporters and importers for dotXSI on various platforms. Edited by Vaaish

I see your point and I have to agree.

Thou I'm a little worried about that the Art Dep is using mostly 3ds max, becouse from my little experiance other modeling programs (I'm speaking here mostly about Lightwave and Softimage) handle polygonial models lots better than 3ds does. In example when you export something (in example sphere) from SI to Ogre, it just looks like a sphere in Ogre. Actually it looks the same when you display .mesh file using Ogre viewer and displaying .xsi file using dotXSI viewer. Then looking in example at medium scout exported from 3ds you have moved pivot point, you have f**ked up smoothing groups, you have oversized model... Lightwave doesn't do that also (I saw .lwo files converted to .mesh and those looked also like they should). I think this has something to do with that 3ds modifiers stack or the way 3ds handles polygon operations.

Anyway, if you want 3ds to be the official then you have to try out the exporters on Ogre site (link above) and see how models look in Ogre mesh viewer (also available through that link). Researching that exporters in your own artistic way could be really helpful.

Guyver

Vaaish, commit someone to export the laser pistol using the Ogre plugin for 3dsMax. In that way we may know if the exporter works as intended. Artists workflow is not our strong point to give an accurate opinion; but from the practical issue, we dont know artists tools as artists dont know programmer's ones... That is a heavy problem.

On the technical view we proposed XSI because it seems that the department is running different graphic packages; if you can work out that, then any format that has a Ogre (mantained) exporter is ok. There are binary packages at www.ogre3d.org ;) you can grab the exporters from there.

BTW, if we have to continue the workflow discussion to fill in the needed parts, post in another thread.

Greetings
Red Knight

Gyver: any platform could be used to actually make the model, just the fial texturing and animation would have to be done in MAX and art would store the .max file not a 3ds file.

RK: will do.

Shinzon: you heard the man, lets export the laspistol to ogre.

[quote name='Beetle' date='Mar 21 2005, 07:50 AM']Why .max files? I'm using Maya 6.0 from time to time and i don't have plugin to import .max file ;(

(if anyone want help with exporting form maya to ogre pm me:)  )
Greetings,

Beetle
[right][post="114843"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

because it looks like 90% of art is using 3ds MAX, that will make it much easier for us to coordinate. I personally am using Maya as well but in this case the platform of the majority is what we need to cater to especially since there isn't the option for everyone to run out and buy the same software to work on here.

Im not really sure where to begin... i never really exported anything to anything ever before... :(

help?

The ogre website should have an exporter for 3dsmax to export to the ogre format. you would need to download that and install it. beyond that I can't help.

wow i tried exporting and importing it and got confused with everything there is... i dont even know which format we are to use as the final thing... xml? or xsi?

if its xsi then ill try to search for a converter

[quote name='Shinzon' date='Mar 27 2005, 03:48 PM']wow i tried exporting and importing it and got confused with everything there is... i dont even know which format we are to use as the final thing... xml? or xsi?

if its xsi then ill try to search for a converter
[right][post="115434"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

iirc it's xml

[quote name='guyver6' date='Mar 28 2005, 07:37 AM']Actually we're going to use .mesh format, but XML is easily convertible to/from .mesh. Just use the tools at ogre's site.

Guyver
[right][post="115477"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Are Shinzon is talking about Ogre's XML format and not a propretiery XML format from 3dmax? If it's not the Ogre one we can't convert.

Greetings,

Rincewind

Alright, can some one please give this a go? when i view it its blue... Its funny that something that is created you cannot view because you have a crappy video card...

*woops forgot to actualy attach it*
If you want the textures either ask me or vaaish... its not letting me attach em... Edited by Shinzon

• 2 weeks later...
ok here are the textures for the las pistol. you will have to relink the files since the new images are png instead of tif.