XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART - Laser Rifle

gambino

hmmm.... what about this?

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/mikker/Xenocide/laserrifle8.jpg[/img]

Personally, I don't really know...

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mikker... this is alot easier than you are making it... go look at the image that you posted when you just attached the sniper stock to what you had of the frint of the rifle duplicate the grip assembly on that EXACTLY as it is in the picture( [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type%3d%70ost&id=6659"]http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?ac...pe=post&id=6659[/url] ) and it'll work out. don't worry about trying to change it around or tweak this and that just stick the stock onto the version of the rifle you have w/o the stock and that should finih it up nicely. Edited by Vaaish

That's what I just did.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/mikker/Xenocide/laserriff.jpg[/img]

but you also deleted the existing grip. Look at the image I attached that'll show you what I mean. Fill in the hole in the final comp with the rest of the stock but it should be enough to show what I mean.

ah! Ok, I'll do that ;)

edit: can't do. This is simply too..... hard. It looks easy on paper (or rather... in paint), but it's practically impossible. I've made so many changes to the diffrent places (in both shape and dimentions) that it simply would take so much time to cramp it in there that it's simply not worth it, for a few polygons.... deux ex machina? So I started from the start, and came up with, simply, a breader piece.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/mikker/Xenocide/laserrifle9.jpg[/img]

should I make the hole smaller? Edited by mikker

looking great ^_^

mabe make it just a little bit smaller and move it a tiny bit to the right?

it shouldn't be difficult at all... simply delete the faces that make up the back of the grip and breech, copy the faces for the sctock and then get it into place and the join the two into a single unit and fill in the holes by either extruding edges or appending polys.

if you cant do that then send me a obj or 3ds of both pieces and I can merge them Edited by Vaaish

It IS difficult. First, I'd have to use the current model, put it in three pieces (rear, front, and handle), I'd then have to move the rear piece back, put in the old handle, fix up dimention problems, extent the top piece to go back to the old handle, and then fix up the intervening polygons between the old and the new handle - that's how I'll have to do it, if I don't want my model to be outdated. And it takes ages to fix all the bugs that comes out of it. Instead, it took about five seconds to make the one I showed, for just about the same result :P

Actually, noone would be able to grip that. Now the thumb hole is too far away from the trigger.

Why don't you just chop off the current grip at the thumb hole... or 'the hole' so that it's a C shape, and then put the old pistol grip without the back on there, and then sew it up?

I really don't see the problems you are having, Mikker. I must admit that I am not the most experienced modeller, but it seems quite a simple operation to me. What software do you use? Edited by fux0r666

The problem I'm having is that with how you attached the grip it's turned into something that looks a little too much like a shotgun than the laser rifle. with hot you have joined the grip and stock in the current version you lost a piece of the model that helped it say laser rifle.

and if it is a little harder to go that route, I think the tradeoff is worth it for the quality of the artwork we are making. Edited by Vaaish

Vaaish, this would have been the result wether I used your method, or I just did this. I do agree, however, that it doesn't look 'laser rifle' enough. When I get time, I'll see to it.

then I must be mis communicating.... the end result of my method should have ended up looking exactly like the last image in teh series I posted... somewhere in there the grip totally melded into the stock and the balance of teh weapon became more traditional with a longer barrel and shorter stock instead of the handle being placed right about the middle of the weapon and the stock and barrel being the same length.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/mikker/Xenocide/laserrifle10.jpg[/img]

I know the handle looks chubby, but how does the design fare?

put this pic in thebackground and use it to match proportions and weapon outline.

EDIT: Please use Fux's pic, it makes it more clear. I've edited my post to remove mine Edited by Vaaish

better but the barrel is still looks too long and the stock doesn't join the base of the grip like in that pic.

With the ideas for the stock, I was thinking that one with an uncircular hole would be interesting.

[attachment=6733:attachment]
Of course it's a rough outline, but I though it might spark ideas.
Like, the bottom could be a vent pipe of some sort, or a fan. Edited by bountyhunter2211

hmmm..... I like the idea. But that part is supposed to support the users shoulder. I may consider it, but is it practical?

I;ve been thinking about the laser family for some time now and they seem to have stretched on for quite some time, to get these finished up so we can move on to other segments I want to get the modeling finished up by the 10th of july.

To facilitate this, mikker, please model the laser rifle exactly as shown in the last pic Fux posted. This should only require some edits to the grip and shortening the front. After that lets finish up the handles on the laser cannon and get these moved into texturing.

This means that the unless you have a super awesome idea for the laser rifle, the design is now closed and focus should be on makeing the model follow that design.

Fine with me.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/mikker/laserrifle12.jpg[/img]

I decided that it MIGHT look better without the big thing in the middle of the stock. Looks better without it? Edited by mikker

[quote name='guyver6' date='Jun 26 2005, 01:57 PM']Looks unbalanced without that thing. my 2cents ;)

Greetings,
Guyver
[right][post="123231"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Jep. My thoughts exactly. I'll go with the block.

I just don't think it looks right, It started looking better when you took it out more it made it seem longer, It just looks like a pistol with a stock added to it now, and doesn’t have the "feel" of a rifle. I am in the Marine Corps and it seems to bulky and off balanced.

"But that part is supposed to support the users shoulder." I think of the stock more using the shoulder to support the weapon. It is suppose to be light and fit in the shoulder snug. This gives better accuracy and allows longer support.

I think one main part it is missing is that it has no clip (I know its laser) but some of the bulk should be taken out of the bottom front.. I attached a pic of the new XM8's in comparison.

Thanks mikker.

Let me think about it a bit, Darkomb, we are talking about a weapon that is quite different from standard issue rifle and if we have the electronics and most of the laer generation equipment in teh stock like we were talking we will need that extra bit in the front to balance the weapon.

EDIT: was in too much of a hurry, put in the wrong name. Edited by Vaaish

ok, mikker.

I think you have done a good job so far on the rifle, but thre are a couple of areas to tweak that wil mek it look better. I've attached two images, one showing the original sketch, and the other showing your current model. each have been color coded. The ornge represents a segment that should fade into the stock and shouldn't be as sharp a cut. green represents tweaks to the shape of the geometry or placement of elements. Nost of thse look minor but I think that it will help make the piece a little nicer.

You can look at both images to compare what the changes are.

Darkhomb: I see your point. However the laser family is a transitional stage to alien tech so the weapons should start looking more scifi and less modern day. instead of the xm8 I think a better comparison would be the MP5 or the m4 in terms of size. Edited by Vaaish

hmmm..... I don't really get you green colour coding. Could you specify the changes you want to have?

The orange one would be impossible, as the outline you see is because the handle and stock are of a diffrent thickness then the main part. I cannot fade them into each other without having it look terrible.

(and oh yeah, I gotta go on a holiday next week, so I can't do any work there)

ok, the green ones.... basically don't make the hole in teh stock extend quite so far forward, the rest of the hole is fine, just need to pull a few points back to make the grip keep from looking a thin at the top. also that groove that goes down the barrel, just move it back toward the front so it ends where the green mark shows.

The one on the site is pretty simple, just make the angle that the site meets the stock a little wider so it looks a little nicer. The last one is the bottom of the grip was angled not flat and it helped give it a nicer appearance. if you can finish those before you leave, go ahead and post the model and Fux or I can finish the tweaks while you are gone.

actually, it's the next week AGAIN (thought it was monday :Poke: )

I'll see what I can do, and i'll post the model. Edited by mikker

ok. thanks!

To speed this up(less explaining=faster production) Fux will go ahead and finish the tweaks to the rifle.

That leaves us with the laser cannon. Do you think you can work up the handles on the cannon before you go? Edited by Vaaish

I understand what your saying, thats why I said the xm8 insted of the m4, to me the xm8 is more like a starship troopers weapon, it looks more like alien tech made by humans. To me new tech doesn't mean big and bulky, it also means ways to make it smaller, I think sleek. But thats all I am saying, what I think, I'm just giving my 2 cents... I know the rifle was worked on for a long time, its not easy. Also I found a rifle with your stock idea, it looks pretty good. The rifles on the right are my idea of how I think alien tech looks like. And I put the m4 to the xm8, m4 looks looks like an old outdated (which it is) rifle.

Well, here's my progress. the different colours don't really mean anything other than to better illustrate the shapes, etc. It still doesn't meshsmooth without serious problems, but I managed to shave off about 300 polies- just from the gun's body (not including the fins).

The tool I most used was a tool that planarizes uneven surfaces. I think it's looks a little more square.

I know its closed, I'm just giving my input. And I know it is human tech I stated that, but we use alien tech/ideas to compensate it.. kinda.. anyways it looks better being skinned. maybe the way with the blue made the pistol portion stand out?

Hey! :angry: I don't get credit for the laser rifle in the news! :angry: :angry: :angry:

I've been trying to make a new handle for the heavy rifle, but I've had a hard time getting started (yes folkes, no progress at all on that). I don't know if I can get started AT ALL. :wink1:

[quote name='mikker' date='Jun 29 2005, 12:01 PM']Hey!  :angry: I don't get credit for the laser rifle in the news!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I've been trying to make a new handle for the heavy rifle, but I've had a hard time getting started (yes folkes, no progress at all on that). I don't know if I can get started AT ALL.  :wink1:
[right][post="123579"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

just make it beefier and more joystick like(remove the finger grooves and replace it with a rubber pad). and what news? we have news? :) Edited by Vaaish

[quote name='Vaaish' date='Jun 29 2005, 07:35 PM'][quote name='mikker' date='Jun 29 2005, 12:01 PM']Hey!  :angry: I don't get credit for the laser rifle in the news!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I've been trying to make a new handle for the heavy rifle, but I've had a hard time getting started (yes folkes, no progress at all on that). I don't know if I can get started AT ALL.  :wink1:

just make it beefier and more joystick like(remove the finger grooves and replace it with a rubber pad). and what news? we have news? :)
[right][post="123582"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

Ok.

And with news I mean:

[quote name='mikker' date='Jun 29 2005, 01:00 PM'][quote name='Vaaish' date='Jun 29 2005, 07:35 PM'][quote name='mikker' date='Jun 29 2005, 12:01 PM']Hey!  :angry: I don't get credit for the laser rifle in the news!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

just make it beefier and more joystick like(remove the finger grooves and replace it with a rubber pad). and what news? we have news? :)
[right][post="123582"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

Ok.

And with news I mean:
[right][post="123586"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

Ah... aparently my browser cache wasn't up to date :) the last entry I had was may 18.

I think I've finished the rifle.

Mikker, please, for the love of god, make all of your angles square on the heavy cannon, and please make sure that all of your multi-poly surfaces are planar. Edited by fux0r666

Congrats guys, looks awsome now lets get the last of these finished up so we can move on.

RK: I'd like to go ahead and clear the projects people are currently working on from the que and as they finish move them to base texturing. Edited by Vaaish

• 4 weeks later...
By the way, I specifically optimized the lrifle model to use meshsmooth. Meshsmooth, in addition to adding some detail, can be used to make a high poly model, and should be hitchless.

edit: When I say meshsmooth, I mean NURMS surface subdivision. Edited by fux0r666

• 4 months later...
I feel like im in crunch time or something right now...

I thought this could use a little ressurect...

Good job Mikker and fuxor...

fuxor i rember when you were optimizing it... must have been brutal not a single wasted triangle...

And I just love the design Mikker, really feels beefy... cant wait to free up some time to start texturing this

Here is a render fully unrawped

the only bad thin is that I mirrored the reflection of one side to the other... so no text is adivsed unless you want to read it through a mirror >.<;;

Didnt realise that was a problem till i rendered it... OMFG Edited by Shinzon